This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bengal85

Reaction score
Hello all, and thanks for taking the time to check out my post.

I am applying to dental school, but I have some demerits going against me that I wanted to clear up before making any big decisions. Most dental school applications ask a question along the lines of: Have you ever been convicted of a crime or are currently awaiting trial? So, as you can expect, I had a run in with the law while in college: Initial arrest of 2 felony drug charges, the arraignment dropped it to 1 felony drug charge, and the outcome: nolle prossed, completion of a pre-trial diversion program and the prosecutor dropped the case. I was able to expunge both my arrest record and my fingerprints. I believe I can accurately answer 'no' to the school's application question.

BUT, my primary concern is upon graduating, will I be able to obtain a license. A lot of state boards say that they have the grounds to deny a license if one has been convicted, entered a plea of guilt or nole contendere for a crime. Thus, my outcome does not fit that criteria.
Some boards specifically tell you to NOT report expunged cases. But, to my understanding, most state boards require fingerprinting with the background check when applying for a license. This seems contradictory if they tell you to not report anything that is expunged, yet they run fingerprints at a government level which could still reveal a past case, even if expunged -- or am I wrong in my understanding/assumption that the boards have a such an high degree of seeing your history, similar to how the government will always have access to any record you've ever had?
As for if it were to show up: I have read online (from an article about California dental board's process involving different types of crime -- new member thus cannot attach link) that this doesn't completely bar you from receiving a license. It seems that boards are very unforgiving for counts of fraud, but that a single-incident felony drug charge from the past is something that can be looked past, as long as actions have been taken to amend such actions and that the individual is exceptional in all other criteria for receiving a license. So when things like this arrive, what steps does one take to overcome this barrier and convince the board you are worthy of a license?

I know that my actions in the past were immature and not an accurate representation of the standards I hold myself to; luckily the court saw fit to deal with my case in a manner that has still allowed me to pursue a career in healthcare. Before making this commitment, I want to better understand what to expect when this time comes upon graduating dental school. I realize this isn't ideal, and it might be easier to choose a different career path, but I hope this shows that I have the resolve and determination to pursue dentistry.

I have seen similar posts, but most of them only focus on getting accepted into schools and I feel that talking about licensure is just as, if not more, important. I hope this post helps other aspiring dentists who are, unfortunately, in the same boat.

Advice, clarifications, anecdotes, and anything else that may help would be EXTREMELY appreciated.

Thank you all, and if you're reading this at the time of my posting, Happy Halloween!

Members don't see this ad.

This is something that is state specific. Was your case truly "expunged"? Which means any record of it was deleted from the database? Or was your record "sealed"? In some instances, certain organizations (including health care orgs) can have access to sealed records. Your best bet is to contact a lawyer in your state for more information specific to your case. You don't want to get incorrect information, as a mistake on your application is cause for denial of your license.

This is something that is state specific. Was your case truly "expunged"? Which means any record of it was deleted from the database? Or was your record "sealed"? In some instances, certain organizations (including health care orgs) can have access to sealed records. Your best bet is to contact a lawyer in your state for more information specific to your case. You don't want to get incorrect information, as a mistake on your application is cause for denial of your license.
Thank you for the response.

So I definitely did the expungement process, rather than just sealing it. I did the expungement through the lawyers that did my case, and I actually just recently got the confirmation papers that it is all completed.
So you say that some agencies/boards can see sealed stuff -- but they wouldn't have access to expunged documents? I only ask because for government jobs, I'm pretty sure that they will always be able to see records, regardless of expungement. So I didn't know if there was any overlap for when boards check you out since they use your fingerprints, which I assume get filed to both state and federal bureaus. Maybe the government will always have it, but they don't release that information since it is expunged?
I will try contact a lawyer for some further clarifications, and I plan on getting a background check through the fingerprint services that some state boards use to see what pops up, but I am curious if anyone or someone they know has experienced or heard of anything along these lines and how their process went.

Even with an expungement, the record of your arrest may appear on some private background check websites. I would look at a few and see what you find. they often do not update their data bases.