LMU-DCOM (DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine) Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dr. kicia they probably accepted you because they thought you'd bring pierogies.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Halloweenie!

To answer your question from the interview invite thread, I'm flying into Knoxville, renting a car and driving to Harrogate. I booked a room at the Holiday Inn Express in Middlesboro, KY which is a couple of miles from LMU. I'm getting so excited already! :D
Just a tip to you, Prions, and to anyone else reading this who has yet to interview - Take the interstate from the airport. Going up to Lafollette and getting off the interstate there and driving up to Harrogate on hwy 63 is a much easier and nicer drive than going up Broadway and up through Halls and Maynardville on hwy 33. I've driven both and live in the area so small windy roads dont bother me at all. I enjoy them most of the time :). Time is about the same, but interstate then hwy 63 is much less stressful.

Just my $0.02...

Just curious who else may be interviewing tomorrow Tueday the 11th?
My wife and I are planning to attend the Oasis get together tonight as well.

See you there!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
I just gave up my seat for DCOM class of 2012. Good luck to all applicants. DCOM is a great school.

Just a tip to you, Prions, and to anyone else reading this who has yet to interview - Take the interstate from the airport. Going up to Lafollette and getting off the interstate there and driving up to Harrogate on hwy 63 is a much easier and nicer drive than going up Broadway and up through Halls and Maynardville on hwy 33. I've driven both and live in the area so small windy roads dont bother me at all. I enjoy them most of the time :). Time is about the same, but interstate then hwy 63 is much less stressful.

Just my $0.02...

Thanks for the tip! :D

Just my $0.02...

I agree for folks that are making their trip for the first time, but after going that way 2 times, I knew I couldn't commute every day going that way...I much prefer 33 for the every day trip. I kept getting stuck in Jacksboro/LaFollette for like 45 minutes at all the stop lights...not my cup of tea.

I agree for folks that are making their trip for the first time, but after going that way 2 times, I knew I couldn't commute every day going that way...I much prefer 33 for the every day trip. I kept getting stuck in Jacksboro/LaFollette for like 45 minutes at all the stop lights...not my cup of tea.

I have to agree with MJB. It might be easier going down 75 but once you get to 63 it's just a bunch of towns, lights and traffic. 33 is all backroads and you don't really hit traffic lights and whatnot til you're in New Tazewell and then it's only about another 20 min to the school.

I have to agree with MJB. It might be easier going down 75 but once you get to 63 it's just a bunch of towns, lights and traffic. 33 is all backroads and you don't really hit traffic lights and whatnot til you're in New Tazewell and then it's only about another 20 min to the school.
Agreed. But for those that are coming from the airport or even when its dark 33 could be ... an interesting trip. Early morning or late night, no problem, traffic isnt bad. But I came back on 33 the other day around 2 or 3 and thought I was gonna die there was so much slow moving traffic. I just like the openness(word?) of 63, but thats just me. Plus the speed limit doesnt change near as much. And since I live right next to the interstate, by the time I go all the way down to Halls then through Halls to get over to Powell its just as much time and a lot more hassle than going through Jacksboro/Lafollette.

But I digress.... They both go to the same place. 'Nough said. Whats should I expect at the OMAC conference this weekend? Food? Tours? Im bringing the parents up so what should I tell them to expect?

But I digress.... They both go to the same place. 'Nough said. Whats should I expect at the OMAC conference this weekend? Food? Tours? Im bringing the parents up so what should I tell them to expect?

Hey Rose lets make sure we meet up while we are there on Saturday, pm me and we will figure something out.

I gave up my seat yesterday at LMU-DCOM. Did anyone else think it was kind of weird that they tell you that you have until Friday December 14th to accept admissions and then I get an email yesterday saying I now have until Wednesday December 12th? I think if they tell you that you have until the 14th that they should give you to the 14th.....just thought it was kinda shady.

Agreed. But for those that are coming from the airport or even when its dark 33 could be ... an interesting trip. Early morning or late night, no problem, traffic isnt bad. But I came back on 33 the other day around 2 or 3 and thought I was gonna die there was so much slow moving traffic. I just like the openness(word?) of 63, but thats just me. Plus the speed limit doesnt change near as much. And since I live right next to the interstate, by the time I go all the way down to Halls then through Halls to get over to Powell its just as much time and a lot more hassle than going through Jacksboro/Lafollette.

:)

There's a reason I typically go to school early and stay "late" (til about 4-6 most days). Those school zones are not fun to deal with. Today, I'm purposely waiting a little bit since I don't have to be there until this afternoon.

Side note: I thought speed limits were mere "suggestions" here in TN. :)

Totally agree 75 is the way to go if you aren't familiar with the area or if you live over that direction (or are coming from the airport). I had to strategically shop for homes knowing I wanted to take 33 every day.

As for OMAC, I think it will be a little like the interview day. I believe they talk about osteopathic medicine in general, then give a presentation on the basic science years, then the clinical rotations, etc...followed by a student panel (I think) and tours, etc...I also believe there is plenty of coffee/snacks.

Members don't see this ad :)
To completely toss out another random topic of conversation:
What I want to know is who do we have that is going to play some intramural flag football? We definitely need to have a med school team, and when the pharmacy students get there (if that happens before we leave anyway) we should encourage them to get a team...then DOMINATE them!:smuggrin:

Any other sports fans out there ready to play?

To completely toss out another random topic of conversation:
What I want to know is who do we have that is going to play some intramural flag football? We definitely need to have a med school team, and when the pharmacy students get there (if that happens before we leave anyway) we should encourage them to get a team...then DOMINATE them!:smuggrin:

Any other sports fans out there ready to play?

You're in luck! We had several flag football teams from the med school that played intramurals this year. We played against the undergrads, but apparently they were pretty good competition. My roomie, Marthea, played on Froggie's team and had a great time. They've also played volleyball as well.

I gave up my seat yesterday at LMU-DCOM. Did anyone else think it was kind of weird that they tell you that you have until Friday December 14th to accept admissions and then I get an email yesterday saying I now have until Wednesday December 12th? I think if they tell you that you have until the 14th that they should give you to the 14th.....just thought it was kinda shady.

I agree with you. Anyway, I gave up my seat yesterday, so good luck to those still waiting.

Yay, I love all you seat giver upers, thank you, thank you:love::love::love:

i'll play any, but i looooove flag football. softball, basketball, whatever. count me in. :)

good tips on the travel! thanks!

You're in luck! We had several flag football teams from the med school that played intramurals this year. We played against the undergrads, but apparently they were pretty good competition. My roomie, Marthea, played on Froggie's team and had a great time. They've also played volleyball as well.
Im down for some sports. But I like volleyball in the sand much better than in the gym. Think we can get a sand competition going? Oh... and what about getting them to put in a sand court in the back of the student housing instead of the pool!!.... :)

I'll chime in on the commute thing. I prefer 63 over 33 for a few reasons. The biggest is that is it a lot easier passing people on 63. You can do 65 mph the whole time and if you catch up to a slow-poke, then you can usually pass them very quickly. Plus, 63 is a lot less curvy. When in Lafollette and Jacksboro, there are lights and if you catch them the wrong way, then it will take some extra time. But once you pass the lights, then you have over 30 miles of light free roads. Its a wonderful thing. 30 miles in 25 minutes :D

But I will say I prefer my new, 3 minute, 2 mile commute. That is much better. :D :banana:

haha, no doubt. I plan on biking to campus as much as possible. ... At least thats what I'm telling myself. I used to live a mile from campus in undergrad and it was just nicer to drive so I didnt have to ride home after 6 or 8 hours of class and studying. Hopefully I'll have a motorcycle by then and I'll just ride it. I still cant believe I got accepted to med school... :banana:

Man... its been a long time since my interview... hoping I get a letter by weeks end or I guess I'll give the admissions office a call.

I have an interview in early Jan. However, I just got my first acceptance and now am leaning towards not going to the interview. My main hesitations are that it is new and very small town. Also, my SO would be joining and I have no idea what opportunities would be available for jobs in the region...Im guessing Knoxville, however I know I would not be up for the commute.
Anyways, perhaps I am being closed minded about the area so I suppose my thought is any compelling reasons why I should spend the $600 bucks to check it out??

Where did you get accepted?

Just because I don't remember. I know I didn't actually answer the question.

I think she was accepted to LECOM-Erie. Congrats, btw! :hardy:

Onelesscar, It sounds like you just get "that feeling" about LECOM and that's totally OK! Just trust your instincts and if you already know that you are leaning towards LECOM, maybe it would be worth saving the $$ and not going to the LMU interview? Just my $0.02. :)

Good Luck :luck:

No one can tell you whether or not you should spend the money to come to the interview. That's a personal decision. I'll just say this: there are lots of people that weren't too sure about coming to DCOM for their interviews because they had other opportunities (or other reasons) that are now VERY glad they took the time to check it out. I think that speaks for itself.

ND, I miss my 2 mile commute I had in my former life... :) That being said, I'm holding out hope that this one pays off in about 16 months or so.

I have to say, I've really enjoyed the 75 degree weather in December....just a side note. Beats the crap out of not having electricity and dealing with the 1-2" of ice back home.

I think she was accepted to LECOM-Erie. Congrats, btw! :hardy:

Onelesscar, It sounds like you just get "that feeling" about LECOM and that's totally OK! Just trust your instincts and if you already know that you are leaning towards LECOM, maybe it would be worth saving the $$ and not going to the LMU interview? Just my $0.02. :)

Good Luck :luck:

Shoot that's right! I can't believe it took me all of 5 minutes to forget that. On another note, everyone make sure to wear good shoes for your interview. The first pair I bought kept slipping off my heels really bad with every step I took so a day or two before the interview I went and found some black ankle boots that went well with my suit and boy was I glad. You will go up the stairs. Then you will go down the stairs. Then you will go up the stairs. Then after a while you will go down the stairs... Get my drift? It was the best exercise I've had in a while. :D

Hey Rose, I think we know some people in common from UT. I should be at the OMAC Sat. as well. I had my interview today. Went quite well, I think.:D

Nice seeing you today Nascardoc.
Sorry we didn't have time to chat.
I'll see if you are around Sat.

It was nice seeing you too, Dr. Ti. You looked spiffy in your suit. I hope the day went well for you.

So all of you SDNers know, I will be at the OMAC on Saturday. I don't know if it will be in an official capacity, but none-the-less, I will be there. I will be more than happy to give you guys tours and answer any and all questions you have for as long as you all need. Don't be shy. I will be at the back of the room thruout the morning, as well as after it is done, but before any tours. I can't guarantee the anatomy lab will be available due to our lab practical on Monday. If students are in there studying, then we can't get you in there. Other than that, you should be able to see everything else and SimMan should be up and running too. The OMAC will be pretty similar to your interview day, so if you are taking family or friends, that will be extra nice. Besides, seeing the building again, along with those who interviewed you, is always a nice thing. Talk to all of you Saturday :thumbup:

Hey guys,

I have officially let my seat go. Good Luck to you guys still waiting and alternates. This is for real this time.:oops:

Mark

Hey guys,

I have officially let my seat go. Good Luck to you guys still waiting and alternates. This is for real this time.:oops:

Mark
That's too bad man. Sorry you couldn't get it worked out. I'll catch you on Xbox Live sometime.

I have been officially accepted!!!.... its worth the wait!

Got the call from Dr. Stowers today!

Congratulations!!

Glad you got the news you wanted!!

i got accepted!!! although...i have a question..what does it mean to have provisional accreditiation?? Well i know what it means, but wht affect does it have on the degree and future residencies and what not??

i got accepted!!! although...i have a question..what does it mean to have provisional accreditiation?? Well i know what it means, but wht affect does it have on the degree and future residencies and what not??

Nothing. We'll change to full accreditation a couple weeks before graduation I believe, so that all students graduate from a fully accredited school. It has no negative affects (at least that I know of). :)

And congrats on your acceptance! :welcome:

Congratulations to both of you! This is the first acceptance news we've had in a while...that's exciting!!

Can't wait to meet you (if you decide that DCOM is the place for you).

Congratulations again:thumbup:

can anyone who is accepted let me know when they receive their letters in the mail and where they live. i didnt get a call today so i am a little discouraged and anxious to anticipate any letter that may come my way. thanks much.

Dr. Stowers sounds like a super nice guy... I wasn't able to meet him on interview day so it was doubly-good to get the call. :thumbup:

Nothing. We'll change to full accreditation a couple weeks before graduation I believe, so that all students graduate from a fully accredited school. It has no negative affects (at least that I know of). :)

And congrats on your acceptance! :welcome:

Marthea is 100% correct. No school can be fully accredited until it graduates its first class, thus we have provisional accreditation until then. It will have no affect on residencies, graduation, degree, etc.

It was nice practicing OMM today with ya before the practical. I'm sure you did well. Things went well for me - 1 wrong I think - dang tender point. Maybe I'll see you in the anatomy lab tonight, if not, I will see you tomorrow.

can anyone who is accepted let me know when they receive their letters in the mail and where they live. i didnt get a call today so i am a little discouraged and anxious to anticipate any letter that may come my way. thanks much.

It was mentioned that letters were en route so I'd imagine receipt of the official letter before week's end.

Did you interview 11/30? Congrats to everyone who just got in!! :D

Did you interview 11/30? Congrats to everyone who just got in!! :D

This is the 11/16 interview group - at least that was my date.

No one can tell you whether or not you should spend the money to come to the interview. That's a personal decision. I'll just say this: there are lots of people that weren't too sure about coming to DCOM for their interviews because they had other opportunities (or other reasons) that are now VERY glad they took the time to check it out. I think that speaks for itself.

ND, I miss my 2 mile commute I had in my former life... :) That being said, I'm holding out hope that this one pays off in about 16 months or so.

I have to say, I've really enjoyed the 75 degree weather in December....just a side note. Beats the crap out of not having electricity and dealing with the 1-2" of ice back home.

picture this: you shuffle/slide (carrying your laptop and lunchbox) across the parking lot to your car. the key goes in, but the door doesn't budge. you have to crawl in through the passenger side, after pounding on the 1.5" of ice that's gluing it shut. just when you slide into the driver's seat and turn the key, you hear an unfamiliar silence. your battery is dead...it's -3 C and you have to be at work in 45 min. welcome to my morning... come on, MJB, i KNOW you miss this weather!!!;)

Don't worry too soon about not getting a call yet today. Dr. Stowers has been known to stay at school till pretty late calling people, and its only 5:00 right now. I know that there are also several weeks worth of people that are waiting to hear something.. all the way back to the week before Thanksgiving. I'll keep my fingers crossed for everybody. Congrats to the people that have gotten calls so far!!!:hardy:

Yea... I was Nov 16th...

which one were you gasapple?

I was the youngest one from upstate NY.

which one were you gasapple?

smi2%20pimp%20purple.jpg

http://www.completelybonkers.co.uk/images/smi2%20pimp%20purple.jpg

Oh, I remember you now!!! You are the one, when asked why you wanted to be a DO, you said, "Pimpin' ain't easy!" Perhaps OMM can help with your "business." :idea:

:laugh:

CONGRATS to all those who've been accepted!!! :clap:

You are the one, when asked why you wanted to be a DO, you said, "Pimpin' ain't easy!" Perhaps OMM can help with your "business."

You got that right, partner. :laugh:

Congrats everyone! I'm so nervous about getting a call/letter. I really hope I get in. I'm scared now.

Status
Not open for further replies.