LMU-DCOM (DeBusk COM) Discussion thread Part 2 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I currently bank with Citibank, but I don't think there are any Citibanks near Harrogate. What bank do most of you current students use? I want to contact them and find out about having my $ wired over there before school starts.

I had the same question as well. I bank with wells fargo and they don't even have any branches in TN. I tried looking up the popular banks in cali (WaMu, BofA, Citibank, etc). Some are in Knoxville, but none in Harrogate :confused: I googled Harrogate's banks but have never heard of any of them.

Yeah, there are no big name banks in Harrogate, only community banks. There is a Commerical Bank right down the street from the school and is the biggest one around. There is also 1 or 2 smaller ones within less than a mile of DCOM, with one being right across the street. I don't know the names off the top of my head, but you should be able to find them online, as I know they do have websites.

And don't be afraid of the community banks at all. The people in them are great and you get great service.

Members don't see this ad.

I currently bank with Citibank, but I don't think there are any Citibanks near Harrogate. What bank do most of you current students use? I want to contact them and find out about having my $ wired over there before school starts.

I had the same question as well. I bank with wells fargo and they don't even have any branches in TN. I tried looking up the popular banks in cali (WaMu, BofA, Citibank, etc). Some are in Knoxville, but none in Harrogate :confused: I googled Harrogate's banks but have never heard of any of them.

These are the ones that I found nearby (either in Harrogate or Middlesboro).

http://www.cbtn.com/

http://www.fcbtn.com/

https://www.firststatefinancial.net/

https://www.nationalcity.com/main/pages/home.asp

Janette told me today that 8 have been accepted off of the waitlist and that Paul won't be back til next Wednesday. She said 27 people came off the list last year. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!!! - sherruns

Not good news for me considering I meet the top qualifications which they look for off the waitlist (Appalachian region stuff) and seem to have been bypassed. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Not good news for me considering I meet the top qualifications which they look for off the waitlist (Appalachian region stuff) and seem to have been bypassed. :(
mexican_sombrero_scout_dog_model.jpg

Senor Huahuito says, "Baby it ain't over til it's over" because he loves Lenny Kravitz.
GOOD LUCK IN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS!
sherruns

Hang in there Cooper, I know from firsthand experience the waitlist is hell on a daily basis. I didn't get accepted until like June 5th and I know of people who got in more towards the middle of July. How schools took people of the waitlist always baffeled me...I was always sure I was right near the top! The call is totally out of the blue and then the hard part starts! :rolleyes:

Don't assume you were bypassed those people might have been on the waitlist longer and been from the area too...you never know!

Hang in there they will start calling people soon I'm sure. The big school shuffle is getting ready to start. PM me if you need anything...advice, encouragement, a shoulder to cry on...lol seriously PM me if you need anything

Hang in there Cooper, I know from firsthand experience the waitlist is hell on a daily basis. I didn't get accepted until like June 5th and I know of people who got in more towards the middle of July. How schools took people of the waitlist always baffeled me...I was always sure I was right near the top! The call is totally out of the blue and then the hard part starts! :rolleyes:

Don't assume you were bypassed those people might have been on the waitlist longer and been from the area too...you never know!

Hang in there they will start calling people soon I'm sure. The big school shuffle is getting ready to start. PM me if you need anything...advice, encouragement, a shoulder to cry on...lol seriously PM me if you need anything

so its likely that the list will start moving soon.... do they send a letter still or just call?

so its likely that the list will start moving soon.... do they send a letter still or just call?

Yes, the waitlist will move thruout the summer. There may be lulls for awhile, then someone is taken off, another lull, then 4 people taken......its kinda unpredictable. But the waitlist is open thru the first day (or week) of classes, so things will happen thruout summer.

They will most likely call you if taken off the list, so be ready!!!

They called me by phone in the afternoon (west coast time) and I had 2 weeks to send in my acceptance fee. I got an info packet and acceptance letter by mail the end of that week. I believe I was called June 4th or 5th. I was not even close to the last person taken off the list either. My suggestion is to be ready to go at a moments notice. I had my house ready to be packed up, a realtor picked out and a mover ready to go with a phone call. Have the money ready and just try not to loose your mind waiting!

Good Luck!!!:luck::luck::luck::luck:

Verizon now has a tower in Middlesboro. So now Verizon has coverage everywhere here.

Was anyone accepted off the waitlist that was NOT from the Appalachian region?

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes, shasta is from AZ, another student is from MN and I know of others who are not from the appalachian region.

I was accepted off the wait list...im from chicago...so definitely not appalachian

Cooper - same goes here! We figured the hubby had 3 out of the 4 top qualifications. We're from Morristown although living near Nashville right now but we have family not even 30 minutes from the school and the hubby stressed during his interview about our desire to "come back home" but no phone call yet!

so JagerDO you aren't totally out of the count yet!

Just wondering if anyone knows if the student dental insurance covers crowns. I tried to look it up online but couldn't find any details. If no one knows I'll call but I just wanted to try yall out first.

So there's still hope! Thanks everyone for your responses!

Just wondering if anyone knows if the student dental insurance covers crowns. I tried to look it up online but couldn't find any details. If no one knows I'll call but I just wanted to try yall out first.

and getting your tooth bonded? I shot out the bottom third of my tooth with a BB gun at age 12 (yes..the Christmas Story comes to mind ;)...thank God it wasn't the eye)

I got it bonded right away and just last week the bond broke :(

now, I'm sitting here at work all day playing with my broken tooth with my tongue

Aloha, and to the young lady on her honeymoon in Hawai'i......bring me back some poke, wasabi, mango, kalua pig, kalbi ribs, and if on the Big Island, tell my lady and her children I will see them when they get here on June 11.

Aloha Mylanthias! If I had seen this while over there I TOTALLY would have looked for that stuff. :( Will you settle for some chocolate covered macademia nuts or Kona coffee? We did an awesome helicopter tour over Kilauea. Unless your wife and kids are the crazy people that live right in the lava path at the Volcano Bed & Breakfast, I don't think we saw them :p but what an incredible island!

and getting your tooth bonded? I shot out the bottom third of my tooth with a BB gun at age 12 (yes..the Christmas Story comes to mind ;)...thank God it wasn't the eye)

I got it bonded right away and just last week the bond broke :(

now, I'm sitting here at work all day playing with my broken tooth with my tongue

Well my husband needs a crown. Right now my insurance doesn't cover crowns so if I could wait a couple months before he gets it that would be awesome. I don't think it's the same as bonded. I think they need to make the mold and put something over his old tooth that has lost some pieces. Anyways if anyone knows it will save me a phone call.

Aloha Mylanthias! If I had seen this while over there I TOTALLY would have looked for that stuff. :( Will you settle for some chocolate covered macademia nuts or Kona coffee? We did an awesome helicopter tour over Kilauea. Unless your wife and kids are the crazy people that live right in the lava path at the Volcano Bed & Breakfast, I don't think we saw them :p but what an incredible island!

How was your cruise? Sounds like it was pritty awesome

Hello, JagerDO and DanaRenee! Just wanted to encourage you guys to stay positive. I'm still hangin' in there with ya! I called the school today and was told that 7 people had dropped so far, and that all of those seats had been filled. If the waitlist moves like it did last year there should be about 20 more opportunities to be pulled. If 20 more seats came available and were filled by random selection from the remaining 108 on the waitlist, we would each have an 18.5% chance of being pulled. That means that almost 1 out of every 5 confirmed waitlisters could be given the opportunity to start this fall. I realize that "random selection" is not the method used, but even if it was the odds aren't TOO bad. For our sakes, I hope that we are considered to satisfy most of the qualifications listed in Mr. Carney's e-mail to be given priority.

Well my husband needs a crown. Right now my insurance doesn't cover crowns so if I could wait a couple months before he gets it that would be awesome. I don't think it's the same as bonded. I think they need to make the mold and put something over his old tooth that has lost some pieces. Anyways if anyone knows it will save me a phone call.

let me know how it goes..I know bonding is a much less intensive process than crowning....so hopefully if crowning is a go..then bonding will be too

my aetna ppo doesn't cover crowns either since they consider it a cosmetic procedure along with bonding...

Thanks! :)

Hello, JagerDO and DanaRenee! Just wanted to encourage you guys to stay positive. I'm still hangin' in there with ya! I called the school today and was told that 7 people had dropped so far, and that all of those seats had been filled. If the waitlist moves like it did last year there should be about 20 more opportunities to be pulled. If 20 more seats came available and were filled by random selection from the remaining 108 on the waitlist, we would each have an 18.5% chance of being pulled. That means that almost 1 out of every 5 confirmed waitlisters could be given the opportunity to start this fall. I realize that "random selection" is not the method used, but even if it was the odds aren't TOO bad. For our sakes, I hope that we are considered to satisfy most of the qualifications listed in Mr. Carney's e-mail to be given priority.

Thanks JoshKent for that wonderful analysis! You do make it sound pretty good. If it were the lottery I would definitely play!

dinner.jpg

To all of us waitlisters hanging around -
LET'S HOPE IT MOVES THIS WEEK!!!!!!

And thanks Sherruns for the wonderful visual!

And thanks Sherruns for the wonderful visual!
You're welcome. I've been feeling sort of like a dead chicken lately someone flopped on Paul Carney's desk. Getting pretty putrefacto. I hope we all get that call soon! TODAY??:confused::confused::confused::confused:

haha nice sherruns i agress hopefully we get that call this week...fingers crossed!!!! Good Luck everyone

Hey Soccerchicoc... I'll be in NW arkansas next weekend; my parents live there haha. And of course, good luck with the waitlist- I feel your pain!

Does anyone know for replacing grades on AACOMAS... does the class have to be exactly the same? I was really sick my last semester at U of Illinois and was thinking of retaking some classes to boost my GPA. Would I need to take those exact classes from U of Illinois again? Unfortunately they are 400 level classes in my major (bio) so I'm pretty sure a community college replacement wouldn't work. What about other universities though? I'm considering moving closer to my family in Arkansas. Any thoughts?

For those of you on the alternate list- are you going to reapply if you don't get accepted into DCOM? When do you plan on starting that process if so?

BTW, did anyone else notice how awesome the admissions staff is at responding to emails/calls? They are way above other schools in that field!

Hey Soccerchicoc... I'll be in NW arkansas next weekend; my parents live there haha. And of course, good luck with the waitlist- I feel your pain!

Does anyone know for replacing grades on AACOMAS... does the class have to be exactly the same? I was really sick my last semester at U of Illinois and was thinking of retaking some classes to boost my GPA. Would I need to take those exact classes from U of Illinois again? Unfortunately they are 400 level classes in my major (bio) so I'm pretty sure a community college replacement wouldn't work. What about other universities though? I'm considering moving closer to my family in Arkansas. Any thoughts?

You do not have to take the exact same class for a retake. It just has to be an equivalent course. I retook a bunch of classes at a different university and AACOMAS accepted them as equivalent. Just look for a course that closely resembles the first one.

Good Luck! :luck:

For those of you on the alternate list- are you going to reapply if you don't get accepted into DCOM? When do you plan on starting that process if so?

BTW, did anyone else notice how awesome the admissions staff is at responding to emails/calls? They are way above other schools in that field!

thats cool ill be back in NWA this weekend too .... im home in wisconsin with my parents visiting all my friends....
I plan on reapply... my application is complete... just waiting to hear about the fee wavier

As for us, the hubby is planning on retaking the MCAT - his grades are great so need for that.

He is hoping to take the MCAT I think August and will reapply at that time I think? He is also going to apply to a couple of different schools and one closer to home to avoid a move. However, we love DCOM and all our family is there so it will be a hard decision when and if the time comes to have to choose between DCOM and another school.

You do not have to take the exact same class for a retake. It just has to be an equivalent course. I retook a bunch of classes at a different university and AACOMAS accepted them as equivalent. Just look for a course that closely resembles the first one.

Good Luck! :luck:

shoot.....really? I failed a differential equations course..and retook it at champaign...but not at the chicago campus I originally took it at...so i automatically assumed it didn't count.....this would have definitely improved my GPA..darnit..should have joined SDN prior to applying!

As for us, the hubby is planning on retaking the MCAT - his grades are great so need for that.

He is hoping to take the MCAT I think August and will reapply at that time I think? He is also going to apply to a couple of different schools and one closer to home to avoid a move. However, we love DCOM and all our family is there so it will be a hard decision when and if the time comes to have to choose between DCOM and another school.

I would advise taking a princeton review course....it improved my score by 8 points!

Okay so I emailed Paul Carney a couple of times recently and basically he reminded me the priorities given to alternate listers that we all heard about earlier. I asked him his opinion on reapplying before hearing back from DCOM and he told me to wait til August 1. He was very careful in his wording to not give me any indication on my own personal chances which is why I wanted to pass the info on to the others on the waitlist. Oh and only 5 people have been taken off the list since the class has been full.

Soccerchicoc- you have your application done already? Wow, I feel behind!

As for retaking classes... the one class I really want to retake is Systems Physiology (400 level for bio majors only). I would have to take another 400 level phsyio right? I couldn't get away with a more basic physio class?

sucks.jpg

especially for those who have no where else to go.
I understand Paul's reticence at this point.
Look at it.
We are almost to June.
So that's just OK.
I AM the dead chicken on his desk.

GOD we all forget that we are the 2000 dead chickens on his desk right now.
I feel sorry for him!
And for us!

I posted something juicy for you guys over in your class thread......you might REALLY like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh....and one more thing....

TOMORROW IS OUR LAST DAY OF LECTURES!!!!!!!!!!! WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
:banana: :clap: :banana: :clap: :banana: :clap: :banana:

What class thread are you talking about nascardoc?

today is thursday obviously . . . If I remember correctly Carney was supposed to be back in the office yesterday. Sure wish there were more people that posted here so we could hear who got the call(s) off the waitlist.

But I guess we have to wait for more people to say No to DCOM first . . .

He was back in the office on tuesday; I received some emails from him and Janette told me that's when he'd be back last week. Hoping for that special phone call soon :)

My wife and I just closed on our house yesterday. My real estate agent asked me if I knew any one looking for housing. I thought I would post here. He has a repo priced at $79,000. All I know is that it has a full basement. Only bad thing is, the house is in Lone Mountain, so it would be a good drive. He also told me about a house, which sounds to be converted into a type of apartment. He said the whole thing could be rented for $1000/month, the upstairs for $600, or the downstairs for $500. He said both stories have a full kitchen. I am not sure of the bedrooms. If any one is interested, his name is Larry Sharp. He is with Realty Group II and his number is 423-526-8038. Hope it may help someone.

My wife and I just closed on our house yesterday. My real estate agent asked me if I knew any one looking for housing. I thought I would post here. He has a repo priced at $79,000. All I know is that it has a full basement. Only bad thing is, the house is in Lone Mountain, so it would be a good drive. He also told me about a house, which sounds to be converted into a type of apartment. He said the whole thing could be rented for $1000/month, the upstairs for $600, or the downstairs for $500. He said both stories have a full kitchen. I am not sure of the bedrooms. If any one is interested, his name is Larry Sharp. He is with Realty Group II and his number is 423-526-8038. Hope it may help someone.

Congrats on closing on your house! :hardy: I posted about that repo house a while ago - looks like the price has dropped some. I actually contacted several agents through Realty Group II, including Larry, to get info about house rentals. They all say they don't usually handle them, but everyone seems to have a friend that does - that's how we found our rental house. Is your house in Harrogate?

He was back in the office on tuesday; I received some emails from him and Janette told me that's when he'd be back last week. Hoping for that special phone call soon :)

good luck! hopefully things work out for ya!