LMU-DCOM (DeBusk COM) Discussion thread Part 2 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bearings should be no problem, hope you can hold out that long... what year/make/model ?
2001 Nissan Maxima. I replaced the passenger side about a year ago. That was entertaining...me and a friend had the Nissan Chilton's manual out trying to figure out if we were unbolting the right things. In the end, we were successful though...I just wouldn't want to have to do it again without someone that knew what they were doing (we did have to end up calling for help at one point)

Members don't see this ad.

from what I know...anatomy labs allow latex and non-latex (nitrile gloves)

contact dermatitis could be an issue with latex gloves, but most people hate the "plastiky" non-latex gloves because condensation from your palms accumulates very quickly versus the latex gloves

Must you try to submit input on every question? He was referring to Shasta's statement that you need nitrile gloves for anatomy lab...here...not some other anatomy lab. Oh and the final decision on the computers is to go with Gateway again next year since they gave the best deal.

Must you try to submit input on every question? He was referring to Shasta's statement that you need nitrile gloves for anatomy lab...here...not some other anatomy lab.

sheesh...was that really called for?...:eek:.....he asked a question and I tried to respond...he was asking the difference and I touched that point as well

btw...is nitrile gloves a must at DCOM?

Oh and the final decision on the computers is to go with Gateway again next year since they gave the best deal.

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Must you try to submit input on every question? He was referring to Shasta's statement that you need nitrile gloves for anatomy lab...here...not some other anatomy lab. Oh and the final decision on the computers is to go with Gateway again next year since they gave the best deal.

Thanks,

I have boxes of latex gloves job from my current job and I could just take them with me, but If I NEED nitrile I'll buy them. I'm just trying to confirm.

However, it appears that nitrile are in order, and I wouldn't want to miss out on the smurfyness of medical school!

BXP26181.jpg

That's what comes to mind anyway. Syncope I thought your answer was helpful. I had no idea what nitrile gloves were or how they were different from latex. :thumbup:

That's what comes to mind anyway. Syncope I thought your answer was helpful. I had no idea what nitrile gloves were or how they were different from latex. :thumbup:

Thank you EEL08! :oops:

:laugh::thumbdown:

Thanks,

I have boxes of latex gloves job from my current job and I could just take them with me, but If I NEED nitrile I'll buy them. I'm just trying to confirm.

However, it appears that nitrile are in order, and I wouldn't want to miss out on the smurfyness of medical school!

It really doesn't matter, but as Shasta pointed out the nitrile ones tend to hold up better. It's really not that much fun when you're wrist deep in cadaver only to pull your hand out and find that the entire palm of your glove is ripped open. :thumbdown:

Still funny though. :laugh:

It really doesn't matter, but as Shasta pointed out the nitrile ones tend to hold up better. It's really not that much fun when you're wrist deep in cadaver only to pull your hand out and find that the entire palm of your glove is ripped open. :thumbdown:

Still funny though. :laugh:

Haha.. Didn't that happen to you??

. Also I didn't know this coming here but you will need nitrile gloves for anatomy lab. They are kind of hard to find here in Harrogate so get a box of 100 and bring it with you.

so is it a must to have the nitrile gloves...or are they just the preferred gloves?

so is it a must to have the nitrile gloves...or are they just the preferred gloves?

As far as I know it is not a requirement to wear nitrile gloves, all that was meant by my post was to inform you all that gloves will not be provided past your first anatomy lab. You can wear any type you would like. It was just my suggestion that you buy nitrile because that is what was given to us on the first day and they hold up tons better than the regular latex ones. As Marthea says you do not want to see that your glove has busted unless finger foods are not your thing. They are around $10 for a box on 100. There are limited options to buy any type here but the place in the mall that sells scrubs is suppose to stock them, if you want to bet on that. So again my point was just to bring something with you to wear in anatomy lab, you do not want to get here and have to make a mid week trip to Knoxville your first week to buy $10 worth of gloves. I hope this settles this debate :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I know it is not a requirement to wear nitrile gloves, all that was meant by my post was to inform you all that gloves will not be provided past your first anatomy lab. You can wear any type you would like. It was just my suggestion that you buy nitrile because that is what was given to us on the first day and they hold up tons better than the regular latex ones. As Marthea says you do not want to see that your glove has busted unless finger foods are not your thing. They are around $10 for a box on 100. There are limited options to buy any type here but the place in the mall that sells scrubs is suppose to stock them, if you want to bet on that. So again my point was just to bring something with you to wear in anatomy lab, you do not want to get here and have to make a mid week trip to Knoxville your first week to buy $10 worth of gloves. I hope this settles this debate :love:

thank you very much for clearing up the confusion...I think ill stick with latex, as my hands seem to stay more dry versus the nitrile gloves due to condensation :)

Actually, we were told only to use Nitrile gloves, and it is in the syllibus as well. Sorry Shasta. I think they keep your hands from stinking as much too.

Actually, we were told only to use Nitrile gloves, and it is in the syllibus as well. Sorry Shasta. I think they keep your hands from stinking as much too.
I guess that shows how well I read the syllabus!:D

Thanks for clearing that mess up Juneau!

So...what are the plans for the summer for the 2011'ers? anything exciting?

Personally, I can't wait to quit my job and start on this long path!

If you're using latex, just double bag, that's what I do ;)

You can cut the tension, like a warm finger on cold butter :D :smuggrin:

I know, what happened to our happy little thread?

Nascardoc, :barf: Fingers on butter! :barf: ;)

Yes...just one of many new phrases you guys will hear over and over.

Another favorite....the quick quarter inch!!! (that's what she said :smuggrin:)

Geez what a long talk about gloves. That is kinda odd.

So what color scrubs does everyone get for lab? I'm thinking about buying some and having my mom embroider them for me. She has an awesome sewing machine that does all that stuff.

What kind of shoes to you wear with scrubs? When I was doing my internships at hospitals no one wore ahtletic shoes. I wasn't sure if this was a fashion thing or some sort of clinical/sterility thing. I would imagine you would get some funky stuff caught in the mesh of running shoes...

What do the students wear now?

Thanks again!

Also there is a local shop that should be selling scrubs (for anatomy lab) with LMU DCOM (and your name if you want) embroidered on the chest. They were about $40 for us. There is also a place in the mall in Middlesboro that sells tons of scrubs. They are cheaper (in the $20's) but no embroidery.

If we buy generic scrubs, do we have to have them embroidered? Are there certain colors required / prohibited, etc? Or can we use the scrubs that many of us probably have already?

So what color scrubs does everyone get for lab? I'm thinking about buying some and having my mom embroider them for me. She has an awesome sewing machine that does all that stuff.

You can get any color scrubs you want as far as I know there is no rules on color or anything. It was suggested by faculty you stay away from polyester ones because they hold the smell more but I know people who wore them anyway. As far as shoes go I wear crocs and others do as well. Lots of people wear tennis shoes and people also just wear the shoes they have on for the day. Your shoes shouldn't get too dirty or smelly so that is up to you. If you have scrubs already bring them if you can get them cheaper do that as well. Oh yeah you do not have to have them embroidered.

I am so getting some purple scrubs then! And maybe some matching purple crocs lol. :p

Hey does anyone that was accepted off the waiting list last year know if acceptances are made in batches or individually? Also do you think we should expect some movement because of May 15th? When were you accepted off the list?

JoshKent and DanaRenee... how are you holding in there? I'm going crazy!

You can get any color scrubs you want as far as I know there is no rules on color or anything. It was suggested by faculty you stay away from polyester ones because they hold the smell more but I know people who wore them anyway. As far as shoes go I wear crocs and others do as well. Lots of people wear tennis shoes and people also just wear the shoes they have on for the day. Your shoes shouldn't get too dirty or smelly so that is up to you. If you have scrubs already bring them if you can get them cheaper do that as well. Oh yeah you do not have to have them embroidered.

I wore cowboy boots...ya know, since I'm from KS, I'm a total cowboy...

Anyway, I can't be sure, but I thought I heard something about them being more strict with the LMU stuff for labs next year...again, I don't know that FOR CERTAIN, but it might be more of a "requirement".

For anyone that believed I wore cowboy boots in the lab (Syncope), I actually wore running shoes. I just suggest something that's comfortable..

Oh, and there WILL BE a day where you forget your running shoes and end up wearing dress shoes, boots, etc...with your scrubs, and make your own personal fashion statement.

Some clarification...

Shoes - wear whatever you want, I wore some new balances. I would recommend something that you theoretically wouldnt mind getting dirty.

Scrubs - don't buy anything yet. We 2011'ers were allowed to wear whatever scrubs we wanted, but I think 2012 may have to abide by a "Scrub Dress Code" of sorts. I would do the intelligent thing and ask someone who knows, such as Dr. Leo, instead of speculating with other 1st year (myself included) & pre-med people.

Hope this helps

I wore cowboy boots...ya know, since I'm from KS, I'm a total cowboy...

Anyway, I can't be sure, but I thought I heard something about them being more strict with the LMU stuff for labs next year...again, I don't know that FOR CERTAIN, but it might be more of a "requirement".

For anyone that believed I wore cowboy boots in the lab (Syncope), I actually wore running shoes. I just suggest something that's comfortable..

Oh, and there WILL BE a day where you forget your running shoes and end up wearing dress shoes, boots, etc...with your scrubs, and make your own personal fashion statement.

Those are days you feel the coolest....especially when you wear dress shoes with your OPP uniform ;) :laugh:

Hey does anyone that was accepted off the waiting list last year know if acceptances are made in batches or individually? Also do you think we should expect some movement because of May 15th? When were you accepted off the list?

JoshKent and DanaRenee... how are you holding in there? I'm going crazy!

Hey JagerDO - just a little bit - I can't wait to see some movement but I'm thinking it might be a little while. Would love to get some input from current students. If a person were accepted late, when is the deadline to let the school know you are coming? Don't you have to send in your deposit in 2 weeks or something after you have received your invitation/acceptance?

Hey JagerDO - just a little bit - I can't wait to see some movement but I'm thinking it might be a little while. Would love to get some input from current students. If a person were accepted late, when is the deadline to let the school know you are coming? Don't you have to send in your deposit in 2 weeks or something after you have received your invitation/acceptance?

Yes, usually after May 15th, you can see some movement, but nothing is guaranteed. Once we hit summer full stride, the time frame of telling the school if you are coming, once taken off the waitlist, is ASAP, usually 24-48 hours. The time table changes as the interview cycle moves along, with a shorter amount of time as the beginning of the next year approaches. The quickest things will be is 24 hours, so you will not need to make an "on spot" decision, but be ready. You should see movement throughout the summer too. Good luck to everyone waiting!!!

Yes, usually after May 15th, you can see some movement, but nothing is guaranteed. Once we hit summer full stride, the time frame of telling the school if you are coming, once taken off the waitlist, is ASAP, usually 24-48 hours. The time table changes as the interview cycle moves along, with a shorter amount of time as the beginning of the next year approaches. The quickest things will be is 24 hours, so you will not need to make an "on spot" decision, but be ready. You should see movement throughout the summer too. Good luck to everyone waiting!!!
Janette told me today that 8 have been accepted off of the waitlist and that Paul won't be back til next Wednesday. She said 27 people came off the list last year. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!!! - sherruns

eeks i hope i am in one of the priority categories... waitlist already moving now im nervous... fingers are crossed that Im one of the lucky few.... Janette is so helpful.... maybe ill call tomorrow and see what i can find out!

Greetings Class of 2012. The Oncology Club has formed the LMU- DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine team for the 2008 Claiborne County Relay for Life. Relay For Life®, the American Cancer Society's signature event, is a fun-filled overnight experience designed to bring together those who have been touched by cancer. This event is a celebration of those who have won and a remembrance for those who have lost their fight against cancer. In addition to the actual relay, there are sites set up for each team where we sell stuff to make money for ACS and have games and things for the kids. Because it’s so early in the semester, it’s a great way to get to know your class as well as ours and make a difference in the community.
The overall theme of this year's relay is "Celebrate, Remember, Fight Back." The LMU-DCOM’s theme is the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and our slogan is "Fight Cancer, Give it Shell." We'll need people to walk, sell stuff, run games, and generally sit around having an awesome time.

You do NOT have to be a member of the Oncology Club to be a team member or to even participate in the night events. Joining the team costs only $10.00 and includes a t-shirt. How to register can be found on the attached document. However, if you do not want to join the team but are still interested in participating in the night’s events (such as partaking in an hour shift of walking) please contact Amanda Vanlandingham ([email protected]) and give her your contact information (Name, phone number, summer address, and home address).

If you have any other general questions or suggestions, email Vicki Sharp at [email protected]

It’s time to prepare for Relay for Life again!
Our LMU-DCOM team theme is:
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles – “Fight cancer – give it shell!”
(yea, it’s a throw back!)

Here is a list of events that are occurring for us this year:
1) Survivor’s Dinner -- August 7th at Pump Springs Church
- Please let Vicki know if you’re interested so she can RSVP for you! ([email protected])

2) Relay for Life – the walk!
- August 22-23 from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. (we will have one hour shifts for walking)
- Harrogate City Park
- There will be many activities to do:
- Dude looks like a lady – 1 male member of our team will dress
like a woman and collect money for our team for 1 hour on the track
- Luminary ceremony
- “Why do you relay?” – send/give us pictures, stories, or names of
people who have touched your life who have fought cancer – we will have a
poster board commemorating all of them across from our tent to keep us moving! (send pics/stories, etc to [email protected] )
- Spirit Awards – we get points for everything we participate in –
including our tent decorating – and I know how competitive we all are!
- Entertainment – there is entertainment for the entire night – if
you’d like to provide it, let me know, we’d love for any bands, comedians, etc. perform!

Other info you might want to know:
1) Survivor forms & luminary forms (contact: [email protected])
- They can be purchased from any officer of the Oncology Club for the night of the Relay walk – the ceremony is beautiful and moving and really commemorates those who have both won and lost their battle with cancer

2) If you would like to register for Relay for Life and join us on the DCOM team:
- You can register with Amanda Vanlandingham on paper ([email protected])
- Or you can register online:
o Go to: http://relay.acsevents.org/site/TR?fr_id=8379&pg=teamlist
o Scroll down & click on LMU-DeBusk COM and register!
- Joining the team costs $10 and that includes a t-shirt for you!
- Either way, please E-MAIL Amanda IF YOU WANT TO JOIN THE TEAM or just participate in the events.

If you have ANY other questions OR Suggestions, let us know:
Oncology Club Officers:
President: Vicki Sharp ([email protected])
Vice-President: Sage Church ([email protected])
Secretary: Amanda Vanlandingham ([email protected])
Treasurer: Megan Bina ([email protected])

In Tazewell:

I used Century Tel for my internet line into my residence. First months hook up fee was $96 for a half month prorated, first month's service and connection fees (two year contract at about 50 bucks).

My water bill was $12 through local utility. My electricity was $50 through local utility as well. Gas went up to $3.60 a gallon. I but mine in Middlesboro near work. I also go there for furniture, a place on 19th called the indoor flea market. Some really nice stuff in there. They delivered to my place in Tazewell for $25 dollars.

If the waitlist path does not work, get those applications in this summer for next year. I know its difficult, but I promise you, let nothing stand in
the way of becoming a physician. I sent out tons of applications last summer and was interviewing before January.

Going to watch the dirt races again tomorrow night. Woot!

HMMmmmMMM Almost, almost, next to almost OMS-1 ?

Aloha, and to the young lady on her honeymoon in Hawai'i......bring me back some poke, wasabi, mango, kalua pig, kalbi ribs, and if on the Big Island, tell my lady and her children I will see them when they get here on June 11.

Hey guys, does your health insurance cover you during christmas break? What about during the summer? Thanks.

Has anyone been accepted in the past month? Seems like things have ground to a screeching halt.

I currently bank with Citibank, but I don't think there are any Citibanks near Harrogate. What bank do most of you current students use? I want to contact them and find out about having my $ wired over there before school starts.

I currently bank with Citibank, but I don't think there are any Citibanks near Harrogate. What bank do most of you current students use? I want to contact them and find out about having my $ wired over there before school starts.

I had the same question as well. I bank with wells fargo and they don't even have any branches in TN. I tried looking up the popular banks in cali (WaMu, BofA, Citibank, etc). Some are in Knoxville, but none in Harrogate :confused: I googled Harrogate's banks but have never heard of any of them.