LMU-DCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, first off, you're not really going to have time to "help" a specific community during your 1st year . . . you'll be way too busy with school. There is not much time for volunteering at free clinics and that sort of thing (that's what you do before med school). I don't know if you've visited Harrogate, but there is NOT a whole lot of diversity up here.

To answer your question, there is not a predominant Latino/Hispanic population in Harrogate (there are no Hispanic clinics or La Raza organizations up here). However, you can gear your 3rd and 4th year rotations towards areas with specific underserved populations, if you choose.

Hope that helps! Good Luck!

Yep - thanks for putting it into perspective, prions!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the responses.

Any idea how the match list will look like next year or after that?
I know you can't comment on the whole class, but I assume you guys talk about it with your friends.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses.

Any idea how the match list will look like next year or after that?
I know you can't comment on the whole class, but I assume you guys talk about it with your friends.

I can tell you is the match list will look like a piece of paper than has our names, our specialty, the name of the hospital and the city....so a total of 4 columns and approximately 145 rows. It will be titled Match List for LMU-DCOM Class of 2011. It will be a few pages long, and may even be organized by specialty. :smuggrin:

Honestly, I have NO idea. It's way too early and it would only be a shot in the dark at best, especially for the class behind us. Sorry for the sarcasm, but laugh. I know our students are prepared well and are doing good on clinicals. We will have ortho matches, rads matches, ophtho, anesthesia matches, IM, etc. How many sexy program names (i.e. Harvard, Johns Hopkins, will we see? Who knows. As long as people get what they want, I will be happy.

I will be coming to Harrogate at the end of next week to start looking for an apartment for next year. Prior posts have mentioned Ball Realty and another apartment in Cumberland Gap, but I was wondering if there are any other ideas for where to start that search.

I can tell you is the match list will look like a piece of paper than has our names, our specialty, the name of the hospital and the city....so a total of 4 columns and approximately 145 rows. It will be titled Match List for LMU-DCOM Class of 2011. It will be a few pages long, and may even be organized by specialty. :smuggrin:

Thanks.

Honestly, I have NO idea. It's way too early and it would only be a shot in the dark at best, especially for the class behind us. Sorry for the sarcasm, but laugh. I know our students are prepared well and are doing good on clinicals. We will have ortho matches, rads matches, ophtho, anesthesia matches, IM, etc. How many sexy program names (i.e. Harvard, Johns Hopkins, will we see? Who knows. As long as people get what they want, I will be happy.

i don't really care about big name residencies, I was just wondering what dcom students want to do. I think it will be interesting to see.

I will be coming to Harrogate at the end of next week to start looking for an apartment for next year. Prior posts have mentioned Ball Realty and another apartment in Cumberland Gap, but I was wondering if there are any other ideas for where to start that search.

What I was told, you pretty much drive around and see what's available.
Also, you could probably go to dcom, and ask at the admission office where students and facullty live other than Ball realty and campus housing. Look around Middlesborough (but I heard to avoid to go through the tunnel every day, maybe they close it too often due to big trucks (not sure)).
Also, I believe Tazewell is not too far from Harrogate and they have much cheaper housing there.
If Mr. Bob there you could probably talk to him also, he is very helpful.

Thanks for the tips! I had not considered the possibility of being stuck on one side of the mountain trying to get to or from school.

You're not really stuck wrt the tunnel. If you have to wait, the longest I've ever seen traffic halted is about 5 minutes. I've heard it can be as long as 10 minutes but I've never seen it.

The only time it would suck is if you're running late. :)

Could someone post some pics of the Mars apartments? I didn't get a chance to see them and would really appreciate some pics.

Thanks!

For those of you who got accepted, do you mind sharing your stats? Thanks and congratulations :)

I saw some students did research. Unfortunately I can't find the page where i read it before.

Does anybody know if they did the research through/at Lmu-DCOm or applied independently to some summer research programs?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw some students did research. Unfortunately I can't find the page where i read it before.

Does anybody know if they did the research through/at Lmu-DCOm or applied independently to some summer research programs?

Thanks

I did an orthopedics project at the Nuffield Orthopedic Center at Oxford in the UK. DCOM has a summer fellowship program that you can apply to and they will pay for your project but you have to find a sponsoring lab. It is pretty easy to find a lab, especially if you have experience and enthusiasm. PM me if you have any other questions.

I did an orthopedics project at the Nuffield Orthopedic Center at Oxford in the UK. DCOM has a summer fellowship program that you can apply to and they will pay for your project but you have to find a sponsoring lab. It is pretty easy to find a lab, especially if you have experience and enthusiasm. PM me if you have any other questions.

Wow it sounds good. Congrats. I'll PM you. Thanks

the committee is meeting today for the last 2 weeks of interviews!!! yikes! i wonder how long it takes them to contact you, regardless of results?

the committee is meeting today for the last 2 weeks of interviews!!! yikes! i wonder how long it takes them to contact you, regardless of results?
Pretty quick usually. I interviewed the 11th and was called the 18th I think. Pretty good turnaround time.

Interviewed Tuesday, March 2nd and have not heard anything....yet.

I interviewed March 1st and got my acceptance call on the 12th

Thank you very much JCrew!

Edit: I'm applying this next cycle, but I am just getting all of my research in for the schools I am applying to. I'm really liking DCOM though so far!

Beckhunter, I can tell you that DCOM is awesome. I originally was only going to apply to schools in AZ, as I promised my wife I would do my best to stay here. SOMA is interesting and I will leave it at that. AZCOM is a great school. However, I was told the interview was going to be relaxed and the team that I had interviewing me got testy and started getting nasty (out of the 6 students interviewed by them, only 1 was accepted...compared to the other 2 teams who interviewed 4 students each and 3 for each were accepted). A friend of mine is attending DCOM as part of the first class and she convinced me to look into it. I am extremely happy that I did! My family, although sad about moving, is actually beginiing to look froward to it and are viewing as a new adventure for our family. Definitely do your research and make sure that the school fits what you want and don't ever apply just to apply. I only applied to three schools and was accepted! Best of luck and let me know if you run into any questions or need any help during the application cycle. I have several friends who are also planning to apply to DCOM next year.

Hey everyone!

I'm scared of the drive from the airport to the school, is it bad? Is anyone interviewing on March 8th? Maybe we can go together!

Very nice drive actually. The directions they send you are very accurate!

For those of you who got accepted, do you mind sharing your stats? Thanks and congratulations :)

Myturtledaisy, stats are somewhat important, but not as much as with MD schools. I began considering applying to medical school back in 1995 right after I got my BS. However, I drove myself insane over stats. One of the best things about DO schools are that they are more forgiving about stats. When AACOMAS calculates GPAs, they don't average everything. If you have repeated a class, they take the last try only (this helped me a lot due to indiscretions in my early college years :) ). The biggest things they look for are meeting minimum GPAs and test scores so that they know you won't wash out, a background of service, and good philosophy that will translate into you being a person who is focused on the patient and not just someone out to make the bucks.
My stats were MCAT 26R (BS-9, PS-9, V-8...I only had one week after finals to prep for the exam since I was also working full time). My science GPA was 3.44 and my overall GPA was 3.19. In addition to my BS, I also have two masters with GPAs of 3.596 and 3.83 (theology/ethics with emphasis in bioethics and emergency management/hazardous materials). In terms of work, I have worked as a lobbyist, and have been an EMT/ER Tech for about 10 years, so I had about 16,000 hours of patient contact behind me. I also volunteer a lot and usually log anywhere from 500-800 hours each year. The schools want to see a well-rounded person who has thought long and hard about the issues facing medicine and also contemplated how to survive when you are making a lot of money. One of the big things from my interview were lots of ethics questions. They want to see that you will put aside personal biases if it means an opportunity for another treatment for your patients (no, that does not mean putting aside personal convictions, such as stances on abortion or religious beliefs).
My best advice is don;t get hung up on the stats. Go with what you've got and sell yourself. I heard that some students with 24 on the MCAT are getting admitted, although they must have other things going for them. Also, if you apply for DO, I recommend foregoing MD apps. Some interviewers will crucify you if apply for both DO and MD, as professors are getting tired of people using DO as a fallback plan (plus a lot of MD students I know are wishing they had chosen DO instead). Best of luck and go for it! You never know what will happen until you actually do it!

Anyone accepted this cycle have a B.S. in Nursing?

Myturtledaisy, stats are somewhat important, but not as much as with MD schools. I began considering applying to medical school back in 1995 right after I got my BS. However, I drove myself insane over stats. One of the best things about DO schools are that they are more forgiving about stats. When AACOMAS calculates GPAs, they don't average everything. If you have repeated a class, they take the last try only (this helped me a lot due to indiscretions in my early college years :) ). The biggest things they look for are meeting minimum GPAs and test scores so that they know you won't wash out, a background of service, and good philosophy that will translate into you being a person who is focused on the patient and not just someone out to make the bucks.
My stats were MCAT 26R (BS-9, PS-9, V-8...I only had one week after finals to prep for the exam since I was also working full time). My science GPA was 3.44 and my overall GPA was 3.19. In addition to my BS, I also have two masters with GPAs of 3.596 and 3.83 (theology/ethics with emphasis in bioethics and emergency management/hazardous materials). In terms of work, I have worked as a lobbyist, and have been an EMT/ER Tech for about 10 years, so I had about 16,000 hours of patient contact behind me. I also volunteer a lot and usually log anywhere from 500-800 hours each year. The schools want to see a well-rounded person who has thought long and hard about the issues facing medicine and also contemplated how to survive when you are making a lot of money. One of the big things from my interview were lots of ethics questions. They want to see that you will put aside personal biases if it means an opportunity for another treatment for your patients (no, that does not mean putting aside personal convictions, such as stances on abortion or religious beliefs).
My best advice is don;t get hung up on the stats. Go with what you've got and sell yourself. I heard that some students with 24 on the MCAT are getting admitted, although they must have other things going for them. Also, if you apply for DO, I recommend foregoing MD apps. Some interviewers will crucify you if apply for both DO and MD, as professors are getting tired of people using DO as a fallback plan (plus a lot of MD students I know are wishing they had chosen DO instead). Best of luck and go for it! You never know what will happen until you actually do it!

Hi Tinman85225,

My situation appears similar to yours. I am also attending with my family (wife and 2 daughters). I am so looking forward to starting this year. I have practiced as a pharmacist for the past 20 years, hospital and community. How old are you daughters, mine are 5 and 3? I look forward to meeting you and everyone else in our 2014 class.

Cheers,

rxrj

Hi,

I interviewed on March 2nd and got a letter in the mail today saying I was placed on the alternate list. I do not know the prospects of actually getting accepted from the alternate list, but I thought I would inform all those who interviewed on March 2nd to check your mail within the next couple days. Does anyone know how LMU selects candidates from the alternate list? I remember someone saying that it was not ordered.

Cheers

Hi,

I meant to ask if anyone knew about letters of intent and whether LMU would accept a letter of intent if one was on the waitlist?

Thanks

Hi,

I meant to ask if anyone knew about letters of intent and whether LMU would accept a letter of intent if one was on the waitlist?

Thanks

Throughout the course of this thread, the general consensus has been to send a letter of intent if you have been complete and/or on the wait list for over a month with no news. In the letter, update on any significant changes to your qualifications and reiterate your sincere intentions to attend LMU and what makes you a good fit.

With that said, only write the letter of intent if it's sincere. They will certainly know if it's just a ploy to make yourself known.

Hope that helps!

Hi,

I interviewed on March 2nd and got a letter in the mail today saying I was placed on the alternate list. I do not know the prospects of actually getting accepted from the alternate list, but I thought I would inform all those who interviewed on March 2nd to check your mail within the next couple days. Does anyone know how LMU selects candidates from the alternate list? I remember someone saying that it was not ordered.

Cheers

i interviewed march 2nd as well and got the letter today. i'm on the alternate list. boo. i had so much hope since they said they 58 seats open at that time.

I have an interview this next week. Can't wait to see the college. I love the area. Have heard lots of great stuff.

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted on here very often, but I have decided on DCOM and I am very excited to meet everyone in a few months!

I have been talking to a 3rd year student about renting a house from him. It is a small 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom home in Middlesboro, KY with a fenced in backyard. I have seen pictures and the house seems to be in great shape. I'm really interested in meeting someone, guy or a girl, who would like to rent the house with me. The rent is VERY reasonable and pets are allowed!!

Please send me a message or email me at [email protected] if you are interested or want any more information.

Thanks,
James

Anyone seeing movement on the alternate list and do we have any numbers from the past couple weeks on seats remaining?

i interviewed march 2nd as well and got the letter today. i'm on the alternate list. boo. i had so much hope since they said they 58 seats open at that time.

Anyone seeing movement on the alternate list and do we have any numbers from the past couple weeks on seats remaining?

Looks like from early March, when danznchandee interviewed, there were 58 spots left open. From the recent posts, seems more have gotten waitlisted?

I have kept in contact with about half of the people that interviewed with me on March 2nd and they were all waitlisted. So I'm not sure if since it's the toward the end of the interview process if they're mostly waitlisting and then going to pick the best for the last seats available. This is what I am hoping at least! lol

I'm a fellow waitlister too and I'm staying hopeful. I really want do go to DCOM!

Hang in there Waitlisters! Keeping my fingers crossed for ya'll. Good luck! :luck:

I interviewed here 03/22 and the nice lady said there were 40-45 open spots available at that time. She said after all interviews had been completed any remaining open spots would be offered to waitlist in no particular order, then 30-35 spots (based on past years) would open up before school starts from folks changing their minds and going somewhere else and sacrificing the $2000 which would also be offered to waitlist. Hope this helps!

Also.. I missed a call from a 423 area code today... Hmm...

How long do they typically interview....through the end of April?

I'm IN! YAY!! What a blessing!

I had to delete a bunch of voicemails, and then Dr. Stower's came through - great call vols!! Thanks - finding out at 1am sure beats waiting on the letter!!

I had to delete a bunch of voicemails, and then Dr. Stower's came through - great call vols!! Thanks - finding out at 1am sure beats waiting on the letter!!

Congrats!!!! :clap: That feeling is one that is hard to beat!

Congrats to you! Did you wake everyone in the neighborhood up?

It seems like we're to that point in the application cycle where the committee is being extra selective. Is that a fair statement? That is, is it likely that before accepting an interviewee they are first comparing them to availabilities from the waiting list?

I would expect many of those in the thread on the waiting list may be receiving phone calls soon. Time to update those letters of intent!!!

Congrats! Great feeling getting that Call! I had my offer left on the answering machine. Needless to say that is still on there too! lol

Welcome to the class of 2014!

Does anyone know what time the white coat ceremony will be or usually is? I have the date but haven't seen a time.

Does anyone know what time the white coat ceremony will be or usually is? I have the date but haven't seen a time.

I believe it's been at 10 am the last couple years..

Hi guys!! I was accepted back in December but this is my first post--Congrats to everyone who has been accepted, I can't wait to meet you all :)

Anyway, I was looking over the 2010-2011 academic calender and saw that we have COMLEX Review from May 21 - June 7. Could someone explain what happens during this? Is this for first year students? Is it required to attend and is it on the weekends? I'm in a wedding on May 21st in Minneapolis and am trying to figure out my schedule. Obviously school is more important but would appreciate any thoughts--THANKS!

Hi guys!! I was accepted back in December but this is my first post--Congrats to everyone who has been accepted, I can't wait to meet you all :)

Anyway, I was looking over the 2010-2011 academic calender and saw that we have COMLEX Review from May 21 - June 7. Could someone explain what happens during this? Is this for first year students? Is it required to attend and is it on the weekends? I'm in a wedding on May 21st in Minneapolis and am trying to figure out my schedule. Obviously school is more important but would appreciate any thoughts--THANKS!

That's just for 2nd year students, as they will be taking their boards in June after their 2nd year. This year, the 1st year's last thing is on May 20th, then they are done for the year, so you should be fine!