LMU-DCOM versus VCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which is better

• Total voters

Rainsun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide which to go to before I make my $1,500 deposit. Please tell me which you would choose and why (between LMU-COM and VCOM). Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
South Carolina campus or Virginia?

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the guys from my UG is an MS-4 there right now, and from what he's told me the faculty is awesome and responsive to the students. He loves the area and the facilities are really nice. No huge complaints about the curriculum or anything. He didn't say much about his rotations, but I would imagine they face the same struggles as other newer schools do. All in all he says he loves it there. Sorry I can't elaborate more than that and I know nothing about VCOM.

Reactions: 1 user
One of the guys from my UG is an MS-4 there right now, and from what he's told me the faculty is awesome and responsive to the students. He loves the area and the facilities are really nice. No huge complaints about the curriculum or anything. He didn't say much about his rotations, but I would imagine they face the same struggles as other newer schools do. All in all he says he loves it there. Sorry I can't elaborate more than that and I know nothing about VCOM.
Thanks a lot!

Can a LMU DCOM student comment on rotations and residencies (there are older threads, but I wanted to see how they are now).
For settings, do you find that at LMU DCOM you have limited options on things to do (outdoors, entertainment - not planning to party through med school, but just to de-stress myself if I have to)

I'm wondering the same thing except for the Virginia campus VCOM instead of the SC campus.

I was also accepted to VCOM-SC. My problem is the opposite of the other posters, I know little about LSU but was also accepted at VCOM. I really loved the atmosphere at VCOM-SC. I had really great interactions with the faculty during my interview day. I enjoyed the fact that VCOM was so dedicated to the Spartanburg area. I was excited about that food co-op that's going to be opening. They are also really dedicated to global medicine, and if you're into mission trips, I would definitely consider that. Only bad thing I can see is that you would be in their fourth class, and they don't have data regarding residency matches, etc. That being said, the original campus is well-established.

My friend is currently a first year resident in an OB/GYN ACGME program. She recently graduated from VCOM-va but did all her clinical rotations in sc and speaks nothing but wonderful things about her experience both preclinical courses and rotations. However she has mentioned that some of her fellow students weren't as happy as she was with their rotations but still all matched in fields they were interested in.
I personally have not been to VCOM (either) but that was just her experience. I did however interview at and was accepted to LMU and tbh I loved the campus/atmosphere in Harrogate. The faculty were all incredibly friendly too. My biggest concern was their clinical rotation sites. And the current students agreed that the school was having a few issues with that but I didn't get much details. I do think the school is working hard to improve on this. Anyways I was accepted to another school that was a top pick of mine so that's where I placed my deposit. In the end you need to pick where you see yourself. Good luck!

LMU-DCOM still has problems with clinical rotation sites. These problems will only get worse as the new larger classes reach their third/fourth years. No idea why a school would increase class size when they don't have enough sites to support their current number of students.

LMU-DCOM still has problems with clinical rotation sites. These problems will only get worse as the new larger classes reach their third/fourth years. No idea why a school would increase class size when they don't have enough sites to support their current number of students.

DCOM has enough sites to support its current class and has expanded its sites to meet the needs of the upcoming classes. I am not aware of any 3rd or 4th years that were not allowed to continue do to lack of clinical rotation sites. I'm only a 2nd year but from what I understand there are good and bad sites available during core rotations, and there are some bumps still in the road (as there are with the majority of DO schools), but nobody was excluded from rotations which is the way you make it sound.

lmu dcom has solid match list, very high first time pass rate on comlex.

lmu dcom has solid match list, very high first time pass rate on comlex.

That's true, but VCOM-VC beats LMU in this department I think. At our interview day they told us that all but 3 students matched into their first choice residences last year. They said one person got their second choice, and another person had issues matching location-wise that worked well with his wife's residency, and I don't remember the deal about the 3rd person.

Additionally, VCOM-VC had a 96% pass rate on the COMLEX for the FIRST TRY. (Nationally the average is 92% on the first try). The mean score for VCOM-VC students was 544 and the national mean is 520.

^^^ these numbers are direct from admissions.