Looking for some Honesty/Insight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cntran

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm another struggling premed student just wanting to realistically gauge her chances of getting into either an MD/DO school. I have a stronger preference of getting in an MD school, but am open to DO schools as well.

I have not yet graduated, but my applicant profile (so far) by the time of graduation may be:
  • Major: Anthropology with a focus on Medical Anthropology
  • cGPA: 3.65
  • sGPA: 3.2~3.3
  • Organizations:
    • One community service organization: completed over 600 hours of service and leadership
      • Held two leadership positions, both involving building stronger community ties among older, current, and younger generations within this organization
    • One pre-health honor society
      • Held one leadership position also involving community outreach
  • Extracurriculars:
    • I have always had to work part-time since I graduated high school and initially started out working in various retail/food-service companies
    • Worked as an EMT
    • Word as an office/student assistant in the medical department
    • Did clinical research
    • Shadowed a couple of doctors
    • Will have hopefully been able to complete a medical mission by the end of the year
    • Volunteered in a hospital with pediatrics and worked with kids
I have yet to take the MCAT but I'm hoping to ace that this year in the hopes that I can offset my lower science GPA. My primary interests are community service and want to work with kids, with a special interest in community involvement, youth leadership, and fostering self-confidence and empathy for others.

I know this all sounds really cheesy but it's really why I want to become a doctor.

My primary concern is my low science GPA and mediocre cumulative GPA. Based on what you see here, what, in your opinion, do you think my chances are of getting into an MD school? DO school? I'm worried if I should start applying for a post-bacc program or if it's even necessary at all. I will be grateful for any insight or honesty you have, even if it's brutal.

Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

The MCAT and your state of residence are important factors.

Hello, and thank you! Can you please elaborate more on how state on residence is an important factor?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, and thank you! Can you please elaborate more on how state on residence is an important factor?
Some states matriculate most of their in-state applicants (WV, 55%). Others matriculate very few (Maryland, 11%).
Some states send very few out of state (TX, 5%). Others matriculate more OOS than in (CA, 23%).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Some states matriculate most of their in-state applicants (WV, 55%). Others matriculate very few (Maryland, 11%).
Some states send very few out of state (TX, 5%). Others matriculate more OOS than in (CA, 23%).

I see, that definitely puts another factor into perspective. I will take that into consideration when applying next year. Thank you so much

Reactions: 1 user
cGPA is not a massive issue. It's basically average. sGPA is a big issue. A 3.3 sGPA does get accepted but you will need to show that you are academically prepared for medical school. I.e. You will need to do very well on the MCAT. Visit the MCAT forum to see what resources or strategies could work for you. if there's anything you can do to bring that sGPA up then do it. Potentially, you might be a good candidate for an SMP or a postbacc aimed at raising your sGPA. A great MCAT is still a must even then. 512+ just to throw a rough number around.