Looks like the least stressful school is Cleveland Clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mariposas905

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just heard that Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine doesn't require any exams! How is this possible? Does this mean med school there is a breeze for students because all they have to do is study for Step 1? How do they retain this knowledge without any exams :confused:

Lastly, are there any other med schools that do this?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Telepathy?

Dang! I should have submitted an app!

Reactions: 1 user
I think they also don't have any lectures.

And it's free.

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like it’s a mainly PBL based curriculum. If you have a motivated student body that presumably all want to do well on Step and have good match prospects, you don’t need to have periodic exams to make sure they are learning the material.

Idk about it being a breeze but I imagine the debt free students in Cleveland are less stressed out than most.

Reactions: 2 users
Haha basically you’re teaching yourself and each other the material? Unbelievable! I guess the free tuition makes sense in retrospect.

Reactions: 5 users
I'd like the optional use of exams..just to gauge where I'm at..but damn I'm envious!

I'd like the optional use of exams..just to gauge where I'm at..but damn I'm envious!

Yeah that's the problem with no exams, you never know where you stand and it's easy to get behind. At my school we have an exam every other week, and I honestly would prefer that over no exams,

Surprised no one's brought up Yale yet

They do have weekly assessments -- they're mandatory, but not graded. You do recieve feedback on your answers, though (they're really big on feedback, constructive criticism, and continuous self-improvement). They're also done on your own time over the weekend. I think that's one of the biggest misconceptions of CCLCM!

Yale has no exams either??
I'm sure any current YSM students could speak more to this than I can, but apparently only some final exams are required, and those are anonymous, completely pass/fail, online, and can be taken any time over the course of like a 3 day period. For students that want a little more structure there are optional midterm self assessments that can be taken. Students also said pre-clinical years were more like "pass-pass" instead of "pass-fail" because even if you fail you can remediate and it doesn't show up anywhere. Optional/recorded lectures, free iPads, option to take tuition-free fifth year. Also an MS4 mentioned that something ridiculous like 70% of students get all Honors on their clerkships?? And they don't take shelf exams at the end of each rotation. Pretty crazy. Everyone I met was really happy though, and they still all match really well, so I guess it works

I'm sure any current YSM students could speak more to this than I can, but apparently only some final exams are required, and those are anonymous, completely pass/fail, online, and can be taken any time over the course of like a 3 day period. For students that want a little more structure there are optional midterm self assessments that can be taken. Students also said pre-clinical years were more like "pass-pass" instead of "pass-fail" because even if you fail you can remediate and it doesn't show up anywhere. Optional/recorded lectures, free iPads, option to take tuition-free fifth year. Also an MS4 mentioned that something ridiculous like 70% of students get all Honors on their clerkships?? And they don't take shelf exams at the end of each rotation. Pretty crazy. Everyone I met was really happy though, and they still all match really well, so I guess it works
How long is Yale's secondary?

Just a 500 word Why Yale essay, so not bad. Way better than CCLCM at least
Hmm. I don't have a good answer. It's probably too late in the year for my underdog stuff to make up for my metrics anyway. Wish I would have know this stuff in june, I would've shot my shot.

Just a 500 word Why Yale essay, so not bad. Way better than CCLCM at least

Ha I didn't even qualify to apply to apply CCLCM but I think I saw some of their secondary questions on Case's secondary. The combined Case-CCLCM secondary is definitely the longest secondary I saw.

Ha I didn't even qualify to apply to apply CCLCM but I think I saw some of their secondary questions on Case's secondary. The combined Case-CCLCM secondary is definitely the longest secondary I saw.
Yeah definitely the longest one I applied to. I just took a look at my secondary again and I wrote about 2200 words total. Although I think Duke still has Case-CCLCM beat based solely on word count. There were a lot of essays for CCLCM but they were all pretty short (~150 words) which I thought was nice

I recall Vanderbilt having a long one asking for like my entire life history/autobiography

Also on topic: there's different levels of required assessments across the country. I honestly think I wOuld slack behind in Yale's setting bc of an inability to gauge myself/lack of desire to learn minutae. It's one thing to "get something" it's another to be able to teach and apply it.

My school has assessments every few weeks that are not very intensive (true p/f preclinical) but we can take them in the comfort of our own homes on our computers over the weekend spanning 3-5 days sometimes.

I'll never have to sit for a formal exam at a specified time until step 1 and shelves.

I think we got awarded for "least stressed student body" nationally a few years back. Maybe op could look at other schools that got this mysterious award/ranking?

They do have weekly assessments -- they're mandatory, but not graded. You do recieve feedback on your answers, though (they're really big on feedback, constructive criticism, and continuous self-improvement). They're also done on your own time over the weekend. I think that's one of the biggest misconceptions of CCLCM!
They also have to provide proof of mastery of the curriculum competencies in portfolios (that include essays). I guess that could be considered a type of final exam.