LOR Question, seeking advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brewster1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was struggling to find a DO whom would allow me to shadow and fit in around my work schedule. My cousin's spouse offered to write me a letter of recommendation and I took him up on it. He has guided me through much of my academic career and I've developed a friendship with him, but I still felt concerned that not shadowing a DO however would jeopardize my application.

I continued calling around and eventually found a physician, yet the experience has not been the best, I'm often just sitting there and I've been trying to generate conversation but I guess I'm not connecting with the physician, him even falling asleep in his chair during shadowing. Surprisingly however, he offered me a letter and of course I said yes.

I already have what I believe to be a solid line-up of letters, one from an MD, two from PIs, and a committee letter. I'm thinking about choosing just one of these DO letters in addition to send to AACOMAS but would appreciate any thoughts or opinions. Does it matter if the letter comes from a shadowed physician? If that is the case, how long should I give him as to not be considered late in the application process?

Members don't see this ad.

All of my letters came from MDs/DOs i worked with, never shadowed, so i think your good there. The doc falling asleep is hilarious... It's okay. Some people don't mesh well, ya know? As long as the letter is from a DO your golden.

Some of these schools take their credentialed letters seriously, Campbell wouldn't touch my application until i had a PhD LOR writer.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! I don't think I'm going to wait on the DO I shadowed. I'll go with the other DO as I feel he definitely knows me better anyways.