This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilikepie1337

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is the opposite of what people usually have to deal with, but in my case the LOR writer wrote my letter waaaaaay sooner than I expected. Here's what happened...

I am in a dual degree program so this is technically my 5th year in medical school. Last year (4th year) I was on an elective for the specialty I will be applying for. I got along well with one of the physicians and was going to ask them for a LOR but somehow didn't find the right moment to do so (not going to ask in front of everyone in the tight space in the residents' workroom). Then that physician changed employers before I had the chance to ask in person. I emailed them about it saying that I understood that they would be very busy (starting new job) and that I would be applying during the next cycle, so I was just emailing to ask if they would be willing to write it in the future. To my surprise they replied with an enthusiastic email a week later saying that it was already done and that they had sent it to one of the secretaries that worked for the department...that I should send the secretary the instructions on where to send the letter.

Fast forward a year later and I have just finished my personal statement and CV. Would it be too much to see if they would be willing to use them to work them into the LOR, or should I leave it as it is since their reply was so fast and enthusiastic/too much time has gone by?

TLDR: letter writer seemed very enthusiastic and wrote my letter a week after I asked if they would be willing to write it (but before I had even written my personal statement and CV). This took place almost a year ago. Now that the personal statement and CV are done, should I bother to send them to the letter writer, or should I just assume it's already a good letter and leave it as it is?

p.s. the decision seems a lot clearer after writing this, but still hoping to hear from you guys.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have their contact information, what could you possibly lose by asking them to write a new letter?

Reactions: 1 user
Why do you want them to incorporate your CV and personal statement? Your CV info will be entered in other fields in ERAS, and your personal statement will go out with your application. If you give your CV and personal statement to all your letter writers, it's all going to sound pretty repetitive. I offered my CV and personal statement to my first letter writer and he said he didn't want/need them for this reason.

If they had wanted either of those things, they would have asked for them. Given how enthusiastic they were, it seems like it must be a strong letter! :luck:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The letter is probably great as is. The fact that he wrote it so quickly and enthusiastically indicates that he had great things to say about you. Feeding him information to incorporate will result in a letter that sounds forced and somewhat fake. His genuine, original assessment of you is probably more valuable.

One of my letter writers sent my letter in the day I asked. I think it was a really strong one and got a lot of great interviews except his alma mater funny enough