Low GPA due to ADHD, dental school chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtcn96

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.
I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience, or knows of a situation like this that happened.
I am currently finishing my sophomore year as a human physiology major at Boston University (notorious for grade deflation jsyk). And my GPA sucks.
I dropped a class 3 out of the 4 semesters I've been here (meaning I've only had 3 classes/semester) and I've still been getting mostly C's. In high school, I took mostly honors and AP classes, but also got mostly C's/B's (how I got into BU I'll never know). I had asked my mom to see a psychiatrist in high school at the suggestion of my guidance counselor but she is very old-fashioned and "didn't want anything on my permanent record suggesting mental illness" so she didn't let me. Finally, after like 8 years of misery, I went to see a psychiatrist without telling her, and was diagnosed with ADHD as well as mild depression and moderate anxiety as a result of the ADHD (constant failure and inability to do basic tasks=feeling like you're the sh*ttiest person on Earth). Right now I'm at a 2.6 GPA, looking to maybe get to a 2.7 by the end of this semester, but still, overall, sh*tty.
I was previously pre-med, but after some serious soul-searching, I decided a few months ago that the medical profession couldn't offer me the lifestyle that the dental profession could (mainly the flexibility and ability to work part time when I have kids). As I look more into it, I'm becoming more and more excited to become a dentist, likely pediatric.
I have been in therapy and on medications for a few weeks now, and while things are not perfect, they are definitely heading in the right direction. I am suddenly able to sit down and read more than 1 page of my textbook within a 20-minute period. I'm able to listen to my professor in class so I don't have to go home and spend 4 hours trying to grasp what he said in 50 minutes. It's actually looking likely that I'll be able to get 3.5-4.0 GPAs in the next two years.
My question is, based on your own experiences, do you think that if my cumulative GPA from frosh and soph. years is about a 2.7, but the cumulative GPA from junior and senior years is something like a 3.8, would dental schools actually care about the trend, or would they still probably see me below someone with a consistent 3.4 GPA? (Assuming all DAT scores, volunteer/shadowing, etc were the same.)

**I know a lot of people have issues with ADHD, and to be honest after my sociology of healthcare class, I did too, but sometimes there actually IS a neurochemical imbalance and medication IS the only solution. Just because some people abuse a drug doesn't mean it isn't necessary for others.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, an upward trend is admirable and favorable. Keep it up!

Reactions: 2 users
That's a tough situation. For those that say ADHD is an excuse or whatever blah blah, I don't believe it for a second. If you can grasp the material cognitively, but ADHD is holding you back, then by all means use the medication. That's what it's designed for, and it's clinically and scientifically ethical. As long as you don't abuse them, there's nothing wrong with it.

With your treatment and therapy, I hope you can get past this slump and bring yourself where you need to be. You are obviously motivated, so keep on trucking, do your best, and hopefully you'll be starting dental school in a few years.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, an upward trend is admirable and favorable. Keep it up!

Agreed.

Start shadowing/other dental extracurriculars, plan for the DAT, and you'll have a good future ahead.

Reactions: 1 users
if you can explain that to the adcom and with the help of medication, do well in the upcoming semesters, I think that's going to be a great story you can tell at the interview and on your PS.

Reactions: 1 user
if you can explain that to the adcom and with the help of medication, do well in the upcoming semesters, I think that's going to be a great story you can tell at the interview and on your PS.
Er, I would advise against admitting to being dependent on medication. Just explain a rocky start and simply emphasize how you just collected yourself and applied yourself. Much safer.

Reactions: 1 users
Er, I would advise against admitting to being dependent on medication. Just explain a rocky start and simply emphasize how you just collected yourself and applied yourself. Much safer.

Agreed.

3.4 is more than enough to get in. Upward trend, good DATs, shadowing etc. Just make sure you completely nail it from here on out.

Would you advise against mentioning the diagnosis at all or just the medication? I don't want dental schools to think that I was lazy or that I wasn't putting in the work these past two years when I really was. I was just being held back by something beyond my control. (I'm definitely not going to ask for any special treatment or disability services or anything though.) Wouldn't being honest be the best way to go? I feel like if they ask me why I wasn't doing well, I can't honestly say that I wasn't trying hard enough or that I was partying or anything like that.

Idk I disagree. I think you have a valid reason for a subpar performance and being able to point to what's changed as well as backing it up with the performance in later semesters should be fine. Obviously you don't want to overstate how essential the medications are but I think it's not something you should side-step and simply say you got it together finally.

I won't sugar coat it, 2.6 is extremely low even with an upward trend. If you are are able to get it above 3.0 by the time you submit your application then you'd have a slight chance. If not then you're probably going to have to do a post-bacc or a Masters. I mean you can try to explain to them your ADHD situation, but they just want to know if you would be able to handle their rigorous curriculum and a 2.6 does not demonstrate that. Plus you have to show it on your DAT as well by scoring atleast a 20. A lot of people don't get in the first time so don't give up, just try keep increasing that GPA and do well on your DAT.

And in situations with upward trends, they will look at strength of schedule too so be sure to take at least 3 upper level science classes each semester.

I won't sugar coat it, 2.6 is extremely low even with an upward trend. If you are are able to get it above 3.0 by the time you submit your application then you'd have a slight chance. If not then you're probably going to have to do a post-bacc or a Masters. I mean you can try to explain to them your ADHD situation, but they just want to know if you would be able to handle their rigorous curriculum and a 2.6 does not demonstrate that. Plus you have to show it on your DAT as well by scoring atleast a 20. A lot of people don't get in the first time so don't give up, just try keep increasing that GPA and do well on your DAT.

I appreciate the lack of sugar coating :) I have definitely been looking into masters programs. Obviously I'd like to get in straight after UG but since I wouldn't really have my senior year grades to turn in by then I understand its unlikely. The Oral Health Program masters at BU is looking really good right now, especially since you can do it in one year.

Also, I still have exercise physiology, biochemistry, physics, orgo 2 (< junior year), gross human anatomy, cardiopulmonary pathophysiology, and neuroanatomy and neurophysiology (<senior year) classes, in addition to several electives, left. These are all pretty difficult courses, so hopefully doing well in them will help overshadow my poor performance in the prereq. classes. I also plan on beginning to start studying for the DAT this summer, and then sit in on some gen chem and orgo lectures in the fall to refresh my memory.

Do you guys think it would be better to go to a less-prestigious school right out of UG, or to do a 1-year masters program and get into a slightly better school after? For example, I might have a shot of getting into Western U's dental school. I like a lot of things about the school but it's not very well-known and the avg. accepted GPA is like a 3.29. But I know of people who did a masters program and got into schools like UCLA and Nova. In your opinions, would additional time and debt (~$50,000) be worth a "better" school? I'm definitely going to specialize, hopefully in endo or (dare I say it?) ortho.

(btw, you guys are seriously awesome. I'm a first gen college student and all my pre-med friends dropped out freshman year so I don't really have anyone else to get advice from. This is super helpful :) )

Reactions: 1 user
I appreciate the lack of sugar coating :) I have definitely been looking into masters programs. Obviously I'd like to get in straight after UG but since I wouldn't really have my senior year grades to turn in by then I understand its unlikely. The Oral Health Program masters at BU is looking really good right now, especially since you can do it in one year.

Also, I still have exercise physiology, biochemistry, physics, orgo 2 (< junior year), gross human anatomy, cardiopulmonary pathophysiology, and neuroanatomy and neurophysiology (<senior year) classes, in addition to several electives, left. These are all pretty difficult courses, so hopefully doing well in them will help overshadow my poor performance in the prereq. classes. I also plan on beginning to start studying for the DAT this summer, and then sit in on some gen chem and orgo lectures in the fall to refresh my memory.

Do you guys think it would be better to go to a less-prestigious school right out of UG, or to do a 1-year masters program and get into a slightly better school after? For example, I might have a shot of getting into Western U's dental school. I like a lot of things about the school but it's not very well-known and the avg. accepted GPA is like a 3.29. But I know of people who did a masters program and got into schools like UCLA and Nova. In your opinions, would additional time and debt (~$50,000) be worth a "better" school? I'm definitely going to specialize, hopefully in endo or (dare I say it?) ortho.

(btw, you guys are seriously awesome. I'm a first gen college student and all my pre-med friends dropped out freshman year so I don't really have anyone else to get advice from. This is super helpful :) )
My sister is actually in WesternU Dental school and I can tell you from personal experience, it is definitely not an easy school to get into and its a pretty well known school especially since its in California. It had close to 2800 applicants this year. I know two ppl with 3.6+ that got rejected without interviews. Its really up to you though. If you feel confident enough and are willing to dish out the money for the application, go for it.
If you decide to do a post-bacc or Masters, here are some that I recommend:
Post-Bacc: Creighton, Temple, UPenn, Lecom
Masters: BU, Midwestern(IL or AZ)

My sister is actually in WesternU Dental school and I can tell you from personal experience, it is definitely not an easy school to get into and its a pretty well known school especially since its in California. It had close to 2800 applicants this year. I know two ppl with 3.6+ that got rejected without interviews. Its really up to you though. If you feel confident enough and are willing to dish out the money for the application, go for it.
If you decide to do a post-bacc or Masters, here are some that I recommend:
Post-Bacc: Creighton, Temple, UPenn, Lecom
Masters: BU, Midwestern(IL or AZ)

Oh wow, thanks for sharing, I'll let my source know she was wrong! That's scary but also awesome, because I really loved the school itself. How does your sister like it?

Oh wow, thanks for sharing, I'll let my source know she was wrong! That's scary but also awesome, because I really loved the school itself. How does your sister like it?
It's a good school. They really care about their students and they have a state of the art facility since it's a newer school. All I have to say is do REALLY well on your DAT! Shoot for a +20 minimum with no score under 19. A lot of schools will overlook your early grades if you do well on your DAT and show an upward trend.
Second, don't worry about debt or specializing. Just worry about getting into a dental school. You won't know if you actually want to specialize until you actual get into dental school and do the procedures.

It's a good school. They really care about their students and they have a state of the art facility since it's a newer school. All I have to say is do REALLY well on your DAT! Shoot for a +20 minimum with no score under 19. A lot of schools will overlook your early grades if you do well on your DAT and show an upward trend.
Second, don't worry about debt or specializing. Just worry about getting into a dental school. You won't know if you actually want to specialize until you actual get into dental school and do the procedures.

Yeah I'm definitely going to need at least a 20 in every section. I'm a decent test taker though so hopefully a little higher with a lot of work put in. I'm most likely not going to take the actual test until early next summer after I take Orgo 2 but I want to start studying at the beginning of this summer as if I'm taking it in September.
I'm really glad to hear that about Western!! Maybe with a lot of hard work and some luck I'll be able to go as well!! Thanks for your feedback!!