Low GPA - Master's/Postbac Programs or Apply Straight?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

infinity314

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all - first wanted to thank the SDN community for all of the helpful advice. I could not have learned so much without you.

I am a senior at a Top 20 school who has transferred once from another Top 20 school for fit reasons.

I spent freshman year at the first school and scored a 3.3 overall GPA.
I have spent the past three years at the second school and have an overall sGPA of 2.8 and an overall GPA of 3.1.
I also took Physics at another school and scored a 3.625 in the summer before senior year.

I have consistently got C's in Bio/Chem and taken all the pre-reqs.

I am taking the DAT in two days and am studying like crazy.

Do you recommend I apply to post-bacc and master's programs in dentistry or change my course to podiatry or vet?

I'm feeling really down as I don't know what to do and tried my hardest to score well in these classes. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Go into the field that interests you the most. Don't go into a field just because admissions are less competitive.
I'd personally do a masters program. Unless you have a bunch of money to YOLO apply. In that case you could apply and do a masters program simultaneously.

Thank you Advance I really appreciate it. Do you mean apply to both masters and straight to dental school right now? Would that hurt my chances if I had to re-apply to dental next year after the masters?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. Do a 1 year masters program in your gap year and apply to dental school this upcoming cycle.(If your finances allow for it)
No it won't hurt your chances. It will make you a more competitive applicant, especially if you perform well in your program. If you perform well during your first semester in your program you could do a academic update to let the schools see your performance.

Make sure you choose a science intensive master's program though. Special master's programs will ensure that you are taking appropriate courses for your goal. If you do it in an area such as museums studies, that won't be helpful.