Low GPA, Not taken DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

brokedokita

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a low undergrad GPA of 3.04 (including retakes, but not including some better scoring cc courses I took so I'm not sure what ADEA will calculate it as). Apart from my GPA I have great community service, leadership roles, a good story/PS, LORs - all of that. My application is done but I haven't submitted it yet. I plan on taking the DAT in late August when I believe I will be ready to take it. This whole time I've been told to apply early but I've recently been told if you have a bad GPA that isn't supplemented with a high DAT score there is a higher chance it will be immediately thrown in the rejection pile, so my question is, what do I do? Turn in my app now with the hopes of bringing in a high DAT or turn it in after my DAT, and be considered a later applicant?

I'm applying to Meharry, Howard, AT Still, Tufts, Western, BU, Lake Erie and Maryland (state school)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
unless you score 25 and above, you'll have to do a MS or something to make them look passed the low GPA
 
I would just focus on doing all you can on your DAT and showing schools that your GPA doesn’t necessarily reflect you as a student overall. Your personal statement along with LOR’s will be very important. They can look PAST* your low gpa and will if everything else you have makes you stand out as an applicant.
 
Could I also get in on this? I'm currently a sophomore who is most likely gonna get a 3.0 sci gpa and a 3.2 ogpa if possible. I haven't taken my DAT yet but here is what worries me. I had taken an intro to Biology class and got a D in that class twice. I'm retaking it at a different college and am most likely gonna get a B. What should I do?