Low Pat --> Any point in applying to Western (UWO) or U of T?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbetel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like the title says I didn't do so great on the PAT. Here are my scores:

RC: 22 - 74th percentile
Bio: 24 - 89th percentile
GC: 23 - 92nd percentile
PAT: 17 - 24th percentile
clear.png

TS: 23 - 92nd percentile
AA: 23 - 90th percentile

I was wondering if anyone thinks there is a point in applying to Schulich dentistry given in the FAQ section it says "For the past several years, a score of at least 18/30 or higher has been required, although this minimum score on the DAT is subject to change depending on the quality of the applicant pool. " I wasn't able to find out if U of T has a similar policy, so any clarification would really help.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

UWO doesn't even look at PAT. All they pretty much look at is GPA, AA and RC.

I would suggest going to the premed101 forums, you will get a lot more help there.

Uh, depends what your GPA is they might overlook it. Although I doubt it for UofT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you get this percentile information from?

did percentiles change a lot recently or is it just canadian DAT?
AA23 is only 90 ish percentile?
Canadian's must be doing better or their DAT must be a little easier? Or the scale could be different.

If that's the case, do schools look at american and canadian DAT scores differently? Weigh them differently maybe?

Just curious here.

I'd presume the cDAT is easier cause they don't have QR or organic chemistry loll @Dentalco2020

Reactions: 1 users
Canadian's must be doing better or their DAT must be a little easier? Or the scale could be different.

If that's the case, do schools look at american and canadian DAT scores differently? Weigh them differently maybe?

Just curious here.
I did the Canadian DAT in February and a AA23 was 96 percentile.

I did cDAT feb 2015 and 22AA was 94th percentile. OP's DAT exam must have been taken by a bunch of studs

Just curious here.

You need less time to prepare for the cDAT. That's literally the only difference worth noting between the two. One isn't necessarily "easier/harder" than the other.
About 10-15 US schools don't accept the cDAT.
The rest don't weigh one over the other.

The big pain in the butt with the cDAT is that you have to individually send the scores to the schools you're applying to. It's also offered only twice a year. If I had to retake, I'd take the American version just because it's more convenient.

You need less time to prepare for the cDAT. That's literally the only difference worth noting between the two. One isn't necessarily "easier/harder" than the other.
About 10-15 US schools don't accept the cDAT.
The rest don't weigh one over the other.

The big pain in the butt with the cDAT is that you have to individually send the scores to the schools you're applying to. It's also offered only twice a year. If I had to retake, I'd take the American version just because it's more convenient.
The big pain was also waiting 5 weeks in agony for our DAT scores to be released. You get it instantly in the American DAT.

Reactions: 1 users
Also, the cDAT is noticeably harder in GC and BIO. The rest of the sections are the same, except no QR or OC.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, the cDAT is noticeably harder in GC and BIO. The rest of the sections are the same, except no QR or OC.
It's better to devote all your time to the sciences than devote yourself to the sciences AND consistently have to worry about math lol

@the6kid Thanks for the tip, premed101 forums came through with some good info! Also called western who confirmed that the 18/30 minimum only refers to the RC section.

@DDSER1 Yeah, I think unfortunately the November 2015 cDAT pool must have been exceptionally strong...

@RS2224 All of my practice had been for the American DAT aside for the single practice cDAT provided by the CDA. To be honest I found the American version to be worded much more clearly and generally did significantly better on all of my practice exams (in the 25+ range).