low sGPA alright cGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted991595

My sGPA is around a 3.37 but my cGPA is 3.77. I got a 520 on MCAT. What are my chances at MD school?

Members don't see this ad.

What are your ECs (w/ hours) looking like? Are you URM, a veteran, first gen student, etc.? Which schools are you considering? Without more info we won’t be able to help much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chances? Near 100% you will get in SOMEWHERE if you have good ECs and a good school list. Upper level schools, not so much with the sGPA.

However, more details needed to address fully. Go make a WAMC thread, follow the format.

Reactions: 1 user
Any upward sGPA trend?
State of residence?

I went back and forth, B in first semester of intro chem, A in second semester, C+ in orgo then a D- in orgo which I retook and got an A+. A+ in biochemistry and physics junior year

State of residence is New York

Chances? Near 100% you will get in SOMEWHERE if you have good ECs and a good school list. Upper level schools, not so much with the sGPA.

However, more details needed to address fully. Go make a WAMC thread, follow the format.

I’m not sure I’d say anyone has a near 100% chance of acceptance. Remember only around 40 percent of applicants are accepted each cycle. I’d hate to give false hope. But I’m sort of conservative in areas like this.
Good Luck OP.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m not sure I’d say anyone has a near 100% chance of acceptance. Remember only around 40 percent of applicants are accepted each cycle. I’d hate to give false hope. But I’m sort of conservative in areas like this.
Good Luck OP.
Based on the MCAT/GPA Grid OP has an 83% chance of acceptance and the ADCOMs on here seem to lean on the side of high stats individuals not getting accepted almost exclusively due to poor school lists and poor ECs. If OP has good on both (and they are coming to SDN for advice so they are at least proactive enough to consider it) then they will likely receive an acceptance somewhere.

You are right though, nothing is guaranteed. I will withdraw my near 100% comment and simply say to OP that the chances are very much in your favor from a statistical perspective based on stats alone. The rest is on you, OP.

• Love
I still would like to see what the numbers are. Based upon the information posted here, all I could say is that the o p will simply get crowded out by candidates with stronger records.
I went from a 3.42 to a 3.8 to a 3.36 to a 3.10 to a 4.3 and another 4.3 (if you weigh A+ as 4.3)

Members don't see this ad :)
went from a 3.42 to a 3.8 to a 3.36 to a 3.10 to a 4.3 and another 4.3
Is this year on year or semester I’m semester? We’re those two 4.0 at the end (AMCAS doesn’t use 4.3) upper division science courses?

General overview is that, to me at least, this does not quite inspire confidence as you are all over the place. Nothing so low as to suggest that you would be unsuccessful in medical school and the odds are still statistically in your favor, but this doesn’t look very good.

Is this year on year or semester I’m semester? We’re those two 4.0 at the end (AMCAS doesn’t use 4.3) upper division science courses?

General overview is that, to me at least, this does not quite inspire confidence as you are all over the place. Nothing so low as to suggest that you would be unsuccessful in medical school and the odds are still statistically in your favor, but this doesn’t look very good.

Also, I did the math and it looks like you used your 4.3 to calculate your GPA. Use 4.0. Your real cGPA should be somewhere around 3.6-3.65 if you do that.

Also extracurriculars are

Semester on semester and yes the two 4.0 were achieved during my junior year

What are the ECs like? Having been a combat medic in Afghanistan or been in the Peace Corps is very different from having no shadowing or volunteering at all. That being said: OP is a strong DO candidate and a questionable MD candidate. They could be quite strong with a postbacc.

What are the ECs like? Having been a combat medic in Afghanistan or been in the Peace Corps is very different from having no shadowing or volunteering at all. That being said: OP is a strong DO candidate and a questionable MD candidate. They could be quite strong with a postbacc.
Research: 2 summers and 2 full years spent in my lab; 1 publication pending
Hospital Volunteering: 150 hrs (3 years-only semesters that I'm in school)
Shadowing: 140 hours (oncology, adolescent medicine/pediatrician, surgery)
Other Volunteering: 150 hrs (taught dance one summer at a camp that combined dance w/ stem education for low-income girls); three years (unsure about # hours still) teaching science concepts to elementary school aged kids

I'm also the sexual health intern at my school's health center and on the Sexual Assault Awareness committee

i had pretty similar stats to you and received 6 interviews at all mid-tier schools (ranked 30-50). i think my high mcat helped me get noticed by the higher mid-tiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.