Low stats, rejections, what now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fedfan100

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

There may be similar posts on this forum but I would like some input regarding my own situation.

I have currently applied to both MD and DO schools and have received several rejections from DO within 48 hours of verification. I tried choosing schools that had low GPA cutoffs or did not provide GPA cutoffs but apparently it still didn't help. Still waiting on AMCAS verification, but have even less hope on MD schools.

I am strongly considering Carribean schools now as I feel in order to become any more competitive for the US, several more years of post-bacc or a Masters/SMP may be needed as well as to retake the MCAT.

Considering my extremely poor academic background, is applying to Carribean the best opportunity I have now? Can I even be accepted to one of the big four Carribean schools?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am strongly considering Carribean schools now as I feel in order to become any more competitive for the US, several more years of post-bacc or a Masters/SMP may be needed as well as to retake the MCAT.

Considering my extremely poor academic background, is applying to Carribean the best opportunity I have now? Can I even be accepted to one of the big four Carribean schools?

Thanks.
Nononono

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
37 units of high GPA is probably not enough since it still leaves your GPAs below 3.0, and Carib is a bad idea because a) your record doesn't prove to yourself that you will succeed and b) you should apply 2 cycles with at least one year in between before even considering off-shore med schools.
You need to do more PB work, probably retake the MCAT, and then reapply. This will take years but you won't be setting yourself up to fail like you would be if you gave up on US MD/DO so quickly and went Carib instead.

Reactions: 1 user
1. Take a deep breath
2. Don't go to the Caribbean. Its just a bad idea.
3. Retake your MCAT. If you can score 507-510 you'll be golden for most DO programs.

Reactions: 2 users
My opinion but the sub 3.0 is what's killing you. You really need to get that above 3.0 on order to avoid auto rejection at most schools. Getting a higher MCAT isn't really going to change this.

Edit: This only applies to DO, you are DOA at MD schools.