LSU c/o 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drwildlife

SGU Class of 2017?
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heyyy everyone!

Where are all of you LSU applicants? I know there's more than just me :)

Just curious what types of recommendations you guys were choosing.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be applying to LSU! Not too confident about my chances since the averages posted on their website are pretty darn high but I'm staying hopeful!

I was just going to do two vets and a professor for my recommendations, does LSU require anything different than that?

Not that I know of! I couldn't find anywhere (Website or Book) that listed their requirements for recommendations. I'm sending eLORs to a Research Professor/Professor and a Veterinarian I worked with for sure. But, I'm also considering sending one to a Veterinary Technician I work with. I feel like that would make it kind of well rounded.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be applying as an OOSer. For recs I have my advisor, parasitology prof, and 2 vets.

I'll be applying to LSU! Not too confident about my chances since the averages posted on their website are pretty darn high but I'm staying hopeful!

I was just going to do two vets and a professor for my recommendations, does LSU require anything different than that?

One thing to remember about LSU is that for your required course GPA, they also include any science courses that you took and made in "A" in too, therefore (normally) making your required course GPA higher.

From LSU's website "In addition to the specific prerequisite courses, also factored into the Required Course GPA are any other Animal Science, Physical Science or Biological Science courses that are taken and in which an "A" grade is earned."

I applied, interviewed, and was accepted at LSU this last admission cycle (but turned it down for my IS), so I might be able to answer questions y'all might have.

ETA -- for my recommendation letters, I had:
1. My university advisor -- I had taken an honors level science class and a graduate level science class with him
2. One of the vets that I currently worked under -- he was a food animal vet, and actually a DVM/PhD (super smart guy!)
3. One of the vets that I did my large animal and small animal shadowing with

Good luck to all those applying this cycle!

Yes! I love how they do the required GPA. It will certainly help my chances.

I'm technically an in-state applicant, I guess, more along the lines of contract. I am an Arkansas resident so we get 9 spots which helps as well. But, I know a lot of people from University of Arkansas are applying this cycle and most are apart of the animal science or poultry science departments. My university, though almost as big as U of A has nothing of the sort so in that way it makes me nervous.

Yes! I love how they do the required GPA. It will certainly help my chances.

I'm technically an in-state applicant, I guess, more along the lines of contract. I am an Arkansas resident so we get 9 spots which helps as well. But, I know a lot of people from University of Arkansas are applying this cycle and most are apart of the animal science or poultry science departments. My university, though almost as big as U of A has nothing of the sort so in that way it makes me nervous.

Drwildlife: Are you from Little Rock?

I'm from Conway :D About 15 minutes north of Little Rock.

Are you an Arkansan as well?

LSU Application

Besides the instructions that the letters of reccomendation have to be submitted through VMCAS, the only guidelines are that two of the letters should be from vets that you may have worked with. Also, you have a minimum of three letters and a maximum of six.

For reference, I had two letters from vets that I had very little experience with, my biochemistry professor, vet technician from the zoo I volunteered at, as well as the zoo director.

Glad to see some LSU applicants on here...there never seems to be many!

P.S. There are a lot of scholarships for Arkansas students at LSU, so that's a plus.

Yeah, I am a resident of AR too!

Well, nice to meet you! :) I'm the President of my university's Pre-Veterinary Association and it's a rare occassion to find other Pre-Vet Students on our campus or in the surrounding area. Nice to know others exist! It would be funny if you went to my school...

Nechochwen, did you choose LSU for their wildlife/zoo programs?

Nechochwen, did you choose LSU for their wildlife/zoo programs?

I'd like to say that was the main reason, but the fact that it was my in-state school was the main reason. But then, I only applied to LSU after three years of undergrad, so it was half trial-run, half "cross your fingers and pray". If I hadn't gotten in, I would have applied to more schools the next round.

Regardless of what my in-state was, LSU would have been one of my choices. I probably would have applied to LSU, UF, and Tufts.

I was just fortunate to have my in-state have a good wildlife/zoo program. Being able to work with the Wildlife Hospital of Louisiana has been a great experience. I never thought my first blood draw would be on a great horned owl!

I'd like to say that was the main reason, but the fact that it was my in-state school was the main reason. But then, I only applied to LSU after three years of undergrad, so it was half trial-run, half "cross your fingers and pray". If I hadn't gotten in, I would have applied to more schools the next round.

Regardless of what my in-state was, LSU would have been one of my choices. I probably would have applied to LSU, UF, and Tufts.

I was just fortunate to have my in-state have a good wildlife/zoo program. Being able to work with the Wildlife Hospital of Louisiana has been a great experience. I never thought my first blood draw would be on a great horned owl!

You are very lucky for it to be your instate! I sort of consider LSU my instate since Arkansans are in their own little group :p but, I know it is different.

That reminds me of my first day interning at the Pachyderm House at my zoo. First few minutes of being there they asked me if I had ever drawn blood before. I said yes. Then they asked if I had ever drawn blood on an elephant, handed me the needle, and told me to go at it :scared:

Luckily their veins are like water hoses :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone started their supplemental for LSU yet? I'm not entirely sure how long the diversity question should be...paragraph, page? There is only so much diversity I can bring to the table :laugh:

I haven't started on the supplemental yet but, I have a question about how GPAs are calculated. Not for sure if anyone here will know the answer or not but, how do they choose what electives to count in our GPA? Is it the best ones or do they just pick as they please?

I believe its last 45 hours, no matter what they are, and all science classes required plus any extra science classes in which you earned an A. Two separate GPAs.

I understand it being two separate GPAs. What I'm confused about is the elective portion of the required GPA. It doesn't list what is considered elective , just that we should select courses that make us well-rounded.

Some schools consider this any type of course. The way it's worded on the required course page is that it could be anything that gets the total hours up to 66. But, on the GPA page, it says that humanities courses and the like will not be included...

Confusion!

I love LSU's status check page! I'm sure other schools have something similar, but it's the only one that I'm applying to that does. Nice and organized, and they had my GPA's calculated within a few days of my VMCAS being submitted. Yay LSU!

I just submitted my VMCAS last night so I can't access the status check yet. I calculated my GPA myself (in the way they would do it) and got a pretty comfortable number. Just hoping they do it the same! :scared:

I do love how friendly everyone at Admissions is though!

Have any of you toured the campus before?

I do love how friendly everyone at Admissions is though!

Have any of you toured the campus before?

Admissions is super friendly and helpful. A nice, refreshing characteristic of the school, esp in the midst of the application process madness..

Campus tours are on weekdays, fyi. Call student affairs if you wanna set one up. And if you come, don't be afraid to say hi to us current vet students! We like to talk to and help out future/potential vet students... any excuse for a break from studying :)

Admissions is super friendly and helpful. A nice, refreshing characteristic of the school, esp in the midst of the application process madness..

Campus tours are on weekdays, fyi. Call student affairs if you wanna set one up. And if you come, don't be afraid to say hi to us current vet students! We like to talk to and help out future/potential vet students... any excuse for a break from studying :)

I've actually been to campus before during open house a few years ago and loved it. LSU is my number one choice for that reason as well as their friendliness and the opportunities students have with wildlife medicine.

Do you know if the Class of 2016 will be one in which they select students to take care of Mike?

Do you know if the Class of 2016 will be one in which they select students to take care of Mike?

It will not. They picked students from our class to be caretakers and I don't believe they will pick again until 2018. They do it every 4 years. Neochwen can confirm that too I think.

It will not. They picked students from our class to be caretakers and I don't believe they will pick again until 2018. They do it every 4 years. Neochwen can confirm that too I think.

Awww, sad day. I work with tigers right now and was really looking forward to that.

I mean...who can resist this face..

1546311732470ba2915c238.jpg

Awww, sad day. I work with tigers right now and was really looking forward to that.

I mean...who can resist this face..

1546311732470ba2915c238.jpg

Actually they chose a new caretaker every 2 years, so every even yeared class will have a chance to apply. But it's a huge responsibility in which you really have no free time to go anywhere on your breaks. Just something to consider.

But it's a huge responsibility in which you really have no free time to go anywhere on your breaks. Just something to consider.

Oh, yes, I completely understand that. That's actually one of the reasons I would like it so much. But, who knows! I have to get accepted first :D

Just finished my supplemental. Now I have to go get a $75 money order. I'm really glad the due date for the supplemental and fee isn't until mid-November -- I assumed LSU took online payments like the other schools I applied to with supplemental applications, and it would've been an unhappy surprise if I found out it had to be received by tomorrow...

Just finished my supplemental. Now I have to go get a $75 money order. I'm really glad the due date for the supplemental and fee isn't until mid-November -- I assumed LSU took online payments like the other schools I applied to with supplemental applications, and it would've been an unhappy surprise if I found out it had to be received by tomorrow...

I am so glad you posted that, I totally spaced it!

Anyone bring kids with them if accepted? I've been checking into schools in the area.

Anyone bring kids with them if accepted? I've been checking into schools in the area.

Some of my friends were looking into this as well but, I'm not for sure if they applied this cycle. I'll get back to you once I find out.

Also, how long did it take for you guys to be able to access the status check? I submitted Friday night and haven't been able to get to it yet (keeps saying invalid login.) It's worrying me a bit but, I'm sure all it is is them trying to process the massive amounts of incoming applications.

LSU will send an email to you when you can access your info. As I understand it, there is one person who calculates all the GPAs.

Also, how long did it take for you guys to be able to access the status check? I submitted Friday night and haven't been able to get to it yet (keeps saying invalid login.) It's worrying me a bit but, I'm sure all it is is them trying to process the massive amounts of incoming applications.

Submitted Sunday, haven't heard anything yet. Trying not to worry about it. :scared:

My GPA calculation will probably slow the process down, sorry y'all. ;) I have been to a lot of schools and have a lot of repeated classes...

I have been to a lot of schools and have a lot of repeated classes...

No worries! I had to repeat a lot of classes as well - with good, but sad, reasons. So, we'll both be trouble for everyone ;)

And, funny thing...probably less than an hour after I posted that I got an email from them with my status check information....:D

Hi! I'm applying to LSU this cycle. I applied last year too and I was wait listed. LSU is great about keeping the applicants updated (minus a couple of emails where they sent everyone who applied acceptance letters). I look forward to an excess of contact since the other schools generally don't give you enough!

I'm applying! That tiger is way too cute. A bit bigger than my tiger :)

No worries! I had to repeat a lot of classes as well - with good, but sad, reasons. So, we'll both be trouble for everyone ;)

And, funny thing...probably less than an hour after I posted that I got an email from them with my status check information....:D

Maybe now I'll get my email, since my last elor writer completed Sunday night at 1 am. I wonder when my post-app-submitting excitment will wear off?

Ayone just applying to LSU?

Maybe now I'll get my email, since my last elor writer completed Sunday night at 1 am. I wonder when my post-app-submitting excitment will wear off?

Ayone just applying to LSU?

This is my first time applying and I only applied to LSU, my instate. I still have the post-app excitement too!

I had an elor submitted about an hour before the deadline, so I am anxiously awaiting being able to access the status check system. I won't be able to shake the unreal feeling until I see it!

Anyone see their GPA calculation yet? I'm wondering if they will post the instate GPAs too? Or will they wait to get the FALL 11 transcripts?

Mine is up to, I submitted a while a go though. I did get the pleasant surprise of one of my gpas increasing from one login to the next one recently though!

Still waiting on mine because I'm in the Arkansas pool. I guess it's because they consider Fall 2011 Transcripts for us.

Anyone see their GPA calculation yet? I'm wondering if they will post the instate GPAs too? Or will they wait to get the FALL 11 transcripts?

At this point in the process (early-November), only the out of state applicants have finalized GPAs.

The only GPAs that are complete and available via the LSU SVM Online Status Check System (www.vetmed.lsu.edu/admissions) are those for in-state and Arkansas residents who are not enrolled in any coursework for the fall '11 semester. GPAs for in-state and Arkansas residents currently enrolled in coursework in the fall '11 semester will be completed and made available once official transcripts are received with final fall grades.

I love LSU's status check page! I'm sure other schools have something similar, but it's the only one that I'm applying to that does. Nice and organized, and they had my GPA's calculated within a few days of my VMCAS being submitted. Yay LSU!

We are certainly happy that the LSU SVM Online Status Check System (www.vetmed.lsu.edu/admissions) is enjoyed by applicants. ;-)

Everything's accounted for in my status check. Woo! Now to await the interview invites...:scared: haha.

I'm applying to LSU, too. :) All of my stuff is accounted for, GPA's listed...Now as DrWildlife put it: Just waiting for interview invites!

Everyone check your status online (OOS)! I am part of the top 150 applicants for OOS--meaning they will read the rest of my application. Hope everyone got similar news. SO excited!

Everyone check your status online (OOS)! I am part of the top 150 applicants for OOS--meaning they will read the rest of my application. Hope everyone got similar news. SO excited!

Mine still says unreviewed....

AHHHH Me too!!!! I'm so excited!!! :):soexcited:

I am also unreviewed. Anyone willing to post their stats so we can have an idea of where the unreviewed ones sit?:D