LSU c/o 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Brand new to the forum. I was an OOS alternate and just got the news that they want me to interview now on February 11th. Congrats to everyone else who got interviews!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations summer7895! :thumbup: :xf:

Has anyone ever had a webcam interview or know someone who has?

I've heard of that with some of the international/Carribean schools, because of the obviously increased difficulty of travelling there, but this is the first I've heard of a US school offering a webcam interview. That's really awesome that they offered! While I can certainly understand the benefits of an in-person interview (for both applicant and school), it would be awful to have to turn down an interview for timing/travel budget reasons.

I've heard of that with some of the international/Carribean schools, because of the obviously increased difficulty of travelling there, but this is the first I've heard of a US school offering a webcam interview. That's really awesome that they offered! While I can certainly understand the benefits of an in-person interview (for both applicant and school), it would be awful to have to turn down an interview for timing/travel budget reasons.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for getting back to me, I actually was able to change plans around so I will be there in person!

Members don't see this ad :)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't CA have a couple of contract seats with LSU? I know they did a few years ago, but is that (one reason!) why you're applying to LSU?

The LSU SVM does NOT have a contract with California. The only state with which the LSU SVM has a contract is Arkansas. The number of Arkansas contract seats can vary; however, for the past 7-8 years there have been nine contract seats available for bona-fide Arkansas residents.

This was definitely from a vet who started school several years ago. Maybe it's changed since then. Pretty sure they still have a New York seat though...at least last year. I know a girl who's in c/o 2015 who I'm pretty sure is on that contract seat.

Of course, by contract seat, I don't mean IS tuition or anything. Just seats [whichever] state pays big money for, so they can guarantee at least that many people from their state get in.

There are no contract seats for tuition purposes for any other state other than Arkansas. The contract with the state of Arkansas allows the LSU SVM to accept nine AR residents who pay in-state tuition & fees (with the Arkansas Department of Higher Education paying the out-of-state fees for these contact students).

The LSU SVM does not give preference to applicants from any one state over another. Decisions for out of state applicants are not affected or influenced by the legal state of residence of the applicants.

Does anyone know if it's appropriate to bring a guest on interview day? I know they won't be able to go into the interview (or to the reception the night before), but what about the rest of the day? I'd assume it's okay since it's the day of the open house...?

Interviewees are absolutely more than welcome to bring guests to the Open House! As mentioned, due to space restrictions we can only accommodate the interviewees/applicants during the Welcoming Reception. However, guests are more than welcome to come to the Open House with you! (That is, unless you feel they would make you even more nervous as you wait to be called into your interview! :))

I stand corrected, then. :)

This was coming from one of the vets I have worked with, and they graduated several years ago. Glad to know its untrue! :)

Still under review as well... Trying not to lose it over here :scared:

We apologize for the lag in responses for interview invitations. We made all out of state and Arkansas invitations available first (due to greater travel times, etc) then we made the in-state interview invitations, We try to update the LSU SVM Online Status Check System (www.vetmed.lsu.edu/admissions) as quickly as possible. However, with over 400+ active applicants, updating everyone's records can simply take some time. ;)

We certainly understand that this is a VERY stressful time for everyone, so thank you for hanging in there and being patient as we move forward!

I stand corrected, then. :)

This was coming from one of the vets I have worked with, and they graduated several years ago. Glad to know its untrue! :)

Unfortunately, many practicing vets may "remember" things incorrectly. ;) Even if they vividly remember the application/selection process when they were going through it all, the entire process has changed greatly, especially in the last 3-5 years specifically with regards to the LSU SVM, and continues to change as better admissions practices are implemented.

While we certainly appreciate vets in the field (both LSU SVM alumni and non-alumni) sharing their experiences and words of advise, we also strongly encourage applicants to follow up with their schools of interest (check their web sites, contact their Admissions Offices, etc) to verify information on the current application cycles.

(It's always best to get your information straight from the horse's mouth. ;))

Last edited:
Good luck to everyone with interviews this weekend and coming week! :luck: :luck: :luck: I know you'll do great!

P.S. Atcha Bakery next to campus has really good falafel. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
For those interviewing from out of state, how are you guys getting from your hotels to the school? Are shuttles being offered or just taking a taxi?

For those interviewing from out of state, how are you guys getting from your hotels to the school? Are shuttles being offered or just taking a taxi?

There are no shuttles specifically sent from the LSU SVM to hotels in the area; however, one could certainly check with the hotel at which you are staying to see if there is a shuttle service that could be utilized to get to the SVM.

We would advise giving yourself extra time if you are using a taxi or shuttle service just to make sure you have time to relax (if possible :)) prior to your interview time.

We look forward to seeing you all soon!

hey yall I just signed up

I got my interview monday... does anybody have any good interview tips other than what's on that thing they gave us to read?

Specifically, what kinda "ethical questions" are they gonna ask?

Out of state/Arkansas people, how do you think your interviews went? I've never had a blind interview before, I feel like it's a short amount of time to try to tell them everything you want them to know about you. I just watched the online presentation they sent, It seems to be a pretty welcoming comfortable admissions environment. Just wondering if ya'll had any other feedback to offer us going this week. Thanks!

Hope everyone's interviews went well! Did any of you go to the Open House, too?

Any instaters feeling good about today/yesterday? The status checker says end of Febuary, is it a leap year? I think I did ok.

Well I won't know how good I did until a couple weeks from now :lol:

like two weeks they said

According to a friend who got in last year, it's right at 2 weeks from interview. Haha, anyone else going to not be able to focus for the next 2-3 weeks?

The only lame thing about being on a quarter system is that my finals are now. Class until Friday, then Mardi Gras break until the following Wednesday....then class Thursday and Friday, and all finals Monday. Ick.

On another note, I feel like interviews (crossing my fingers) went well. Nothing "oh, geez, why'd I say that?!"...which is a good thing in my opinion. :)

I enjoyed open house. It is more oriented toward the younger crowd, but I really loved seeing everything and everyone. I never thought I'd see a cow with a port hole!

You go to tech?
I've been able to focus so far, and we've been having the first round of tests this week here at LSU. So a pretty busy week all around for me.
I feel like mine went pretty well too, or so I hope. I didn't go to the open house, I used to work at the vet school, so I've seen it all.:laugh:

If you don't mind me asking, what's your GPA? Just kinda wanna see what I'm up against. I only have a 3.4 or so, around a 3.5 with the adjusted scale they use. This thread doesn't get much traffic, I guess we're the only 2 still left on here:(

I'm still here, but I'm marooned on the HMS Alternate, somewhere in the Sea of Waitlist. ;)

I didn't end up being able to go to the open house, sadly. But I was really happy to see they put the welcoming reception presentation online! I loved hearing what the first year OOSers had to say about life at LSU.

Just wanted to thank Jared for sending out an email today that made my heart jump out of my body :scared:. ;)
Back to waiting.... :cool:

You go to tech?

Yup. I guess it's not hard to deduce that when I've given you a play-by-play of my school schedule. And it's like the only school left in LA with a quarter system. Haha. :p

If you don't mind me asking, what's your GPA? Just kinda wanna see what I'm up against. I only have a 3.4 or so, around a 3.5 with the adjusted scale they use.

Mines about the same. 3.4 and some change actual, 3.6ish with their wonderful scale. :)

This thread doesn't get much traffic, I guess we're the only 2 still left on here:(

Nah, there's still some going on. It's just sporadic. :laugh:

I'm still here, but I'm marooned on the HMS Alternate, somewhere in the Sea of Waitlist. ;)

This is probably the best thing I've heard all week. Thanks for the giggle.

I didn't end up being able to go to the open house, sadly. But I was really happy to see they put the welcoming reception presentation online! I loved hearing what the first year OOSers had to say about life at LSU.

I may have to go check that out. I feel a little snubbed knowing that OOSers got a welcome reception, but ISers who travelled far (I'm 5.5ish hours away) didn't. I know it's probably a money thing, and it's not like it matters or anything....I was just like, "Aw. I'm not special."

I may have to go check that out. I feel a little snubbed knowing that OOSers got a welcome reception, but ISers who travelled far (I'm 5.5ish hours away) didn't. I know it's probably a money thing, and it's not like it matters or anything....I was just like, "Aw. I'm not special."

We certainly do not want our in-state applicants to feel like they are not special. All of our applicants (in-state and out of state alike) are indeed very important to us. We don't host a welcoming reception for our in-state applicants simply due to a lack of time and space availability. We conduct nearly 200 interviews in the span of only four days during which time there are numerous events occurring such as the LSU SVM Open House, the third year students' White Coat Ceremony (which is right before they go into the clinics), and a clinical block change for all of the fourth year students. The welcoming reception for out of state applicants is a little easier since there are only about 60-70 that are interviewed. The number of in-state applicants interviewed is significantly higher (just over 100), which presents a much larger logistical problem of space availability for such a larger number of applicants.

There is also a limited time-frame in which all of these things must occur in order to ensure we can get acceptance responses out to all of our applicants in a timely manner for everyone to have sufficient time to thoroughly review every option one may have.

We would absolutely love to hold a welcoming reception for our in-state students and it is something that we will look into for next year; however, I fear that there may always be too many obstacles logistically to accommodate a second welcoming reception during the short window of interview dates.

I do not mean to sound as if we are making excuses for not conducting a reception for our in-state students. I just wanted to give a little more insight into some of the reasons for limitation during the admissions process. The more information we can give applicants on the process, the better.

I would also like to point out that suggestions are always welcome! Please do express these suggestions, etc on the StudentDoctor.net interview feedback survey at http://studentdoctor.net/schools/school/lsu-svm. While we may not be able to accommodate every suggestion, we will certainly take everything into consideration for future application/admissions cycles.

Still here too. Anxiously waiting for some word. It's that sinking feeling in your stomach that's the worst. :D

Hi everyone!! Another anxious in-stater here waiting to hear back :) By the way, does anybody have any guidance on:
(A) Is the FAFSA code for the SVM the same as for LSU in general? and
(B) How are you going about house/apartment hunting? I looked at a few places when I was there for my interview but I want to explore all my housing options...I have subscribed to the classifieds too but there really aren't many posts on there about housing.

Anybody thinking of making a facebook page once those acceptances start rolling out? I can't wait to start getting to know my *hopefully* future classmates!!

At the welcoming recepetion for the out-staters we kind of asked the 1st year people the same questions. Basically they responded that there will be a lot more traffic on the classified section once everyone has made their final decisions (and I think they said something about a facebook page, so I'm sure people would join a group if you made it!). Also they said that people post room availabilities on message boards in the school of vet medicine itself. It kind of seemed like most of them were living down Nicholson Rd (I think that was the name of the road?) going south from the stadium and that there was a nice development called Brightside down there. Seemed like that road had less traffic and was bike friendly! Hope that helps some!

:) Also I am pretty sure the FAFSA code is the same as LSU general admissions. At least I hope it is because that was the only one I could find!

At the welcoming recepetion for the out-staters we kind of asked the 1st year people the same questions. Basically they responded that there will be a lot more traffic on the classified section once everyone has made their final decisions (and I think they said something about a facebook page, so I'm sure people would join a group if you made it!). Also they said that people post room availabilities on message boards in the school of vet medicine itself. It kind of seemed like most of them were living down Nicholson Rd (I think that was the name of the road?) going south from the stadium and that there was a nice development called Brightside down there. Seemed like that road had less traffic and was bike friendly! Hope that helps some!

Good info! Nicholson road is a little expensive from what I've been seeing, though. Brightside area isn't so bad though....just be careful of the neighborhood!

Hi everyone!! Another anxious in-stater here waiting to hear back :) By the way, does anybody have any guidance on:
(A) Is the FAFSA code for the SVM the same as for LSU in general? and
(B) How are you going about house/apartment hunting? I looked at a few places when I was there for my interview but I want to explore all my housing options...I have subscribed to the classifieds too but there really aren't many posts on there about housing.

Anybody thinking of making a facebook page once those acceptances start rolling out? I can't wait to start getting to know my *hopefully* future classmates!!

I'm all about a facebook page. That sounds like a fantastic idea. :) Come on acceptances!! Haha.

As far as housing goes, my husband and I would be buying a house, so I doubt that is your plan. :( We are looking out towards Prairieville though, because some of the closer housing to the school is a little sketchy looking.

:) Also I am pretty sure the FAFSA code is the same as LSU general admissions. At least I hope it is because that was the only one I could find!

There is no different FAFSA code for the LSU SVM; it is the same as LSU's FAFSA code of 002010.

About one week down guys!
That feels like a triumph within itself.

About one week down guys!
That feels like a triumph within itself.

Haha I've been telling myself this all day! :whistle:
And thanks for the FAFSA advice everyone. I guess I'll just keep checking the Classifieds about places to live too :)

Lurker here, I really like the prairieville area. Dutchtown St Gabriel, too. I'm trying to find out information on the elementary schools. That will have an impact on where I might buy. Gpa 3.88 and 3.71 but my undergrad is primarily at Delgado, I don't believe that my school is weighted as heavy as the other four year universities.

Filled out the fasfa, also for us instaters I found out that they let us borrow about 38 thousand a year.

Lurker here, I really like the prairieville area. Dutchtown St Gabriel, too. I'm trying to find out information on the elementary schools. That will have an impact on where I might buy.

I would highly recommend perhaps going to the tigerdvmforums and asking some people on there who live far away from campus about their experiences. I say that because Prairieville is quite far away, and not to mention the traffic problems lying in the way from point A to point B. My vet is located in Prairieville and it's definitely not just a hop skip and a jump away. I had to take my new pup for neutering and a dental early in the morning there, and the drive there wasn't bad, but navigating Airline Dr. at 8 AM going towards campus is a nightmare.

There are several students in my class who live 45 minutes-1+ hours away and it's pretty stressful for them. They end up missing class sometimes because of traffic, they're at the school solid usually from the time they get there until at least 6 or 7 at night, in order to study and/or avoid the traffic by the time we get out. It's just worth it to really think about how living far away will affect you.

Just tried to go and it looks like they need to renew their domain registration. Unless it's moved from tigerdvmforums.com?

Ermmm.... maybe email admissions?? I know they're always pushing it, so I don't think it's gone away?

Ermmm.... maybe email admissions?? I know they're always pushing it, so I don't think it's gone away?

We were just made aware that our domain was expired. We have renewed the domain name and were informed that it should take anywhere from 4 to 24 hours for it to propagate to the web and become available again.

We apologize for this inconvenience. Please try accessing www.tigerDVMforums.com again within 24 hours and let us know if you are still unable to access it by Friday, February 24th.

We were just made aware that our domain was expired. We have renewed the domain name and were informed that it should take anywhere from 4 to 24 hours for it to propagate to the web and become available again.

We apologize for this inconvenience. Please try accessing www.tigerDVMforums.com again within 24 hours and let us know if you are still unable to access it by Friday, February 24th.

I just checked! It was back up for me, already. :)

Just wanted to thank Jared for sending out an email today that made my heart jump out of my body :scared:. ;)
Back to waiting.... :cool:

Jared appreciates your patience and your ability to take a really good scare! :p

Because Friday, February 24th is an important date because...:woot:

I may just be reading more into that comment than intended, but I've only been checking 5x a day since after Mardi Gras holiday was over...I can't concentrate on anything.

I would highly recommend perhaps going to the tigerdvmforums and asking some people on there who live far away from campus about their experiences. I say that because Prairieville is quite far away, and not to mention the traffic problems lying in the way from point A to point B. My vet is located in Prairieville and it's definitely not just a hop skip and a jump away. I had to take my new pup for neutering and a dental early in the morning there, and the drive there wasn't bad, but navigating Airline Dr. at 8 AM going towards campus is a nightmare.

There are several students in my class who live 45 minutes-1+ hours away and it's pretty stressful for them. They end up missing class sometimes because of traffic, they're at the school solid usually from the time they get there until at least 6 or 7 at night, in order to study and/or avoid the traffic by the time we get out. It's just worth it to really think about how living far away will affect you.

I've been thinking of going the commuting route myself, and everyone tells me I must be crazy for that. I have and aunt and grandmother in Denham Springs and a good friend in BR so I do have places to crash if I get tired; but I really don't think I'm ready to uproot because I have such a great thing going here. 2 bed/2bath house in safe/quite neighborhood with a landlord that treats me like her own daughter. I've completely personalized it and even converted one of the bedrooms into a dance studio. The thought of leaving makes me sad. :cry:

I have a friend applying next cycle who is going to have a room for me when she relocates, so if I can just stick it out for one year, all should work out...at least, that's what I'm hoping for. I commuted from Houma to New Orleans for 3 months and thought I was going to die, and I didn't need to make time to study...

I've been thinking of going the commuting route myself, and everyone tells me I must be crazy for that. I have and aunt and grandmother in Denham Springs and a good friend in BR so I do have places to crash if I get tired; but I really don't think I'm ready to uproot because I have such a great thing going here. 2 bed/2bath house in safe/quite neighborhood with a landlord that treats me like her own daughter. I've completely personalized it and even converted one of the bedrooms into a dance studio. The thought of leaving makes me sad. :cry:

I have a friend applying next cycle who is going to have a room for me when she relocates, so if I can just stick it out for one year, all should work out...at least, that's what I'm hoping for. I commuted from Houma to New Orleans for 3 months and thought I was going to die, and I didn't need to make time to study...

One of the girls in my class lives in Lafayette. Not because she wants to, but her husband works there and could not get a job here. She manages, but it's just that- managing. She doesn't care to drive 1+ hours (depending on traffic and the time of day we get out) every day. For me, the amount of time I spend at school or doing school related things is so great that choosing to live far from it for the sake of a nice house or apartment wouldn't be beneficial because I wouldn't (and don't) spend enough time there for it to be worth it. Also the hassle of getting in and out of the city at some of the times that we do isn't worth it either.

It's of course your decision, but from everything you said, it sounds like you're thinking about this in the sense of what your life is like right now living in that house, and not necessarily what your life will be like living there several months from now when you're in vet school. While it may be hard to sacrifice comfort and leave where you're at, you may be more miserable later on if you make your decision without seriously thinking about all of the demands of vet school and how you will feel about your decision 2 or 3 months into school. I'm not really even talking about having less study time necessarily either. I know for me personally, it gets really old staying at the vet school all the time, and it's nice to just be able to be home in 15 minutes. When you live really far away like that, it may make the day in and day out routine of driving all the way there and all the way back more taxing.

... I've only been checking 5x a day since after Mardi Gras holiday was over...

You know you've lived outside of Louisiana too long when: It took you until 8pm to figure out why the status check page hadn't been updated on Tuesday.

:idea: