LSU c/o 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am also unreviewed. Anyone willing to post their stats so we can have an idea of where the unreviewed ones sit?:D
My Overall GPA is a 3.6.
My last 45 hours is a 3.58
My required course GPA (According to LSU's system) is a 3.80
My GRE was a 520 verbal and 730 quantitative.
I'm pretty sure that is all they look at up to now. It says on my portal page ....
"The LSU SVM Admissions Office has compiled the initial rankings for out of state applicants based on GRE scores, Required Course GPAs, and Last 45 Credit Hour GPAs, and the Faculty Committee on Admissions would like to congratulate you for making it into the Top 150 List for out of state applicants. We will now begin the evaluation your application packet, including your personal statement, letters of recommendation (eLORs), official transcripts, work experience, and familiarity with animals and the veterinary profession, and more."

Now to hurry up and wait some more!!! :-/
Anyone else get good news?

Members don't see this ad.

I made it to the top 150 as well! yay! I have a 3.7 for both gpas and a 1320

I made it to the top 150 as well! yay! I have a 3.7 for both gpas and a 1320
You've been doing very well this admissions cycle! What's your top choice (if you have one)?

Members don't see this ad :)
You've been doing very well this admissions cycle! What's your top choice (if you have one)?

Thanks, I'm actually pretty surprised about it because my cumulative GPA is way lower, but that's why I applied to places that didn't look at that very much!:laugh: I guess my first choice is UF cause it is my IS, I would honestly be happy at any of those schools I applied to. I'm very excited to hear from LSU as I have heard some great things about the program!

Thanks, I'm actually pretty surprised about it because my cumulative GPA is way lower, but that's why I applied to places that didn't look at that very much!:laugh: I guess my first choice is UF cause it is my IS, I would honestly be happy at any of those schools I applied to. I'm very excited to hear from LSU as I have heard some great things about the program!
My IS is FL as well... but I really like LSU also. Where did you attend undergrad? I still haven't heard from FL :(. I know you interviewed with them recently right? Hoping to hear something soon... our stats are pretty comparible :-/...

Oh god...my heart just stopped.

I saw "We recognize and appreciate the time you took in developing your 2012 application ..." and was about to just collapse on the floor. But...upon reading further...it said I'm in the folder review process :laugh::laugh::laugh:

At least now I know what it feels like to think it's the end now. Whew.

I saw "We recognize and appreciate the time you took in developing your 2012 application ..." and was about to just collapse on the floor. But...upon reading further...it said I'm in the folder review process :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I know, isn't that AWFUL? I thought the exact same thing lol... I almost stopped reading it.

To preface: I am not saying this will happen at all nor do I wish this on anyone BUT...

On the TERRIBLY off chance that any of you should also receive a notice saying you're an OOS alternate, DON'T THINK ITS THE END! Waiting it out sucks but never give up hope!

I know, isn't that AWFUL? I thought the exact same thing lol... I almost stopped reading it.

Haha, me too! I was like "oh, great...here comes the friendly little essay of doom."

Does everyone get a folder review? As in, does anyone know if we've passed one stage of rejection already?

Haha, me too! I was like "oh, great...here comes the friendly little essay of doom."

Does everyone get a folder review? As in, does anyone know if we've passed one stage of rejection already?
Only the top 150 OOS ers get their folder reviewed, and all ISers are reviewed.

DrWildlife,

I believe that what Emiloo said about OOSers is very true, only the top 150. However, with you being Arkansas, you're treated like IS (obviously).

I think getting into this phase only means that we are not lacking anything (classes, taking the GRE at all, etc.). I don't think we get to count it as a hurdle jumped just yet. :(

Just so you know, I thought the exact same thing when I saw my status had changed. They should really think about wording that a little differently...

Yeah, sorry, Arkansas is [included] in IS so you will be reviewed. The top 150 list is actually a hurdle. :) They look at your GPAs and test scores and chose the top 150 and only those 150 + (IS and Arkansas) have their references, experiences, personal statement, etc reviewed. :)

Well it's a hurdle for us OOSers at least :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Well it's a hurdle for us OOSers at least :)

So then it's safe to assume that if you're OOS and your file says unreviewed, you're out of the running for good? I wish they could just tell me that!

So then it's safe to assume that if you're OOS and your file says unreviewed, you're out of the running for good? I wish they could just tell me that!
I don't know... :(

I got it too! :)

I don't think it's necessarily the end of the road at all, I know that when I was lurking around last year they didn't update all of the OOS top 150 statuses on the same day, or at least it didn't seem like they did. Don't lose hope yet! :)

Yeah, sorry, Arkansas is [included] in IS so you will be reviewed. The top 150 list is actually a hurdle. :) They look at your GPAs and test scores and chose the top 150 and only those 150 + (IS and Arkansas) have their references, experiences, personal statement, etc reviewed. :)

Dang. I'll just keep pretending I'm special then :laugh:

I am really glad that I'm only "pitted" against Arkansas students. My grades are just average but, I know my experience out competes many Arkansas applicants. I know experience is weighted a little lower but, hopefully that gives me an edge. Wish I knew how many Arkansas apps there were this year :scared:

I got so excited about going and checking to see what my status is ... and the darn page won't load. :rolleyes:

I can't get the page to load either! However, don't lose hope because I talked to LSU SVM earlier and they said that they wouldn't be done loading top 150 oos until tomorrow!

It's loading for me now! And I got good news -- in the top 150. :)

Last edited:
Congrats to you guys who have made it to the top 150! (And good luck to those still anxiously waiting for the rest of the 150 to post!)

As for us ISers, the wait will be even longer. :( Keep up hope! :D

P.S. I'm so glad this thread has been getting such good use the last few days. Other schools I've applied to....their threads have been silent.

I can't get the page to load either! However, don't lose hope because I talked to LSU SVM earlier and they said that they wouldn't be done loading top 150 oos until tomorrow!

Well, I'm officially out of the running +pity+ Good luck to everyone who did make it!

I'm with you abbercadaver, I think there will be no news for us untill fall transcripts are received.

Where are you from?

I haven't been able to find anything saying how many interviews are extended. The LSU website just says, "...a certain number of qualified applicants are invited to interview..."

Not that any other school has to follow the route LSU does, but the Texas A&M CVM website says about 70% of the qualified IS applicants are interviewed. So probably something along those lines. (220 out of 320 qualified, if you want to know those numbers).

Hey drwillife, did you get your answers about how gpa's are calculated, and what are they considering electives. Still working on my pre requisites, but this infomation would be great to help with future course selection.
Thanks.

Ahhh! Strange changes to my status check, a numeric value where my checklist was, anyone have similar changes?

We just wanted to clarify that there are three distinct applicant pools with the LSU SVM:

In-State (Louisiana) Applicants - Once we have determined that all application material has been received and Required Course GPAs meet the 3.00 minimum requirement, all in-state applicants undergo the review process. Only bona-fide Louisiana residents are eligible for a possible in-state seat. There are roughly 140-155 in-state applicants every year vying for one of 58-60 in-state seats. (See the LSU SVM Admissions web site - www.vetmed.lsu.edu/admissions - for class statistics.

Arkansas Applicants - Once we have determined that all application material has been received and Required Course GPAs meet the 3.00 minimum requirement, all Arkansas applicants undergo the review process. LSU has a contract with the state of Arkansas, through which the LSU SVM can accept a certain number (9) of Arkansas residents into the program. Those accepted applicants are considered in-state students through this contract, as the AR Department of Higher Education pays the out of state tuition & fees for these nine accepted students. While Arkansas residents are considered "in-state" for tuition & fees purposes through this contract, they are evaluated in a completely separate applicant pool from the in-state (Louisiana) residents. Only AR residents verified by the ADHE can compete for one of the nine contract seats available. There are roughly 30-40 in-state applicants every year vying for one of nine Arkansas contract seats. (See the LSU SVM Admissions web site - www.vetmed.lsu.edu/admissions - for class statistics.)

Out-of-State (Non-Resident) Applicants - Once we have determined that all application material has been received and Required Course GPAs meet the 3.00 minimum requirement, the Top 150 Ranking List is calculated based on the objective components (Required Course GPA, Last 45 Credit Hours GPA, and GRE score). Only the Top 150 Out-of-State applicants' folders undergo the review process. There are roughly 400-500 out-of-state applicants every year out of which the Top 150 Out-of-State Ranking is chosen. The Top 150 out-of-state applicants are all vying for one of 18-22 out-of-state seats. (See the LSU SVM Admissions web site - www.vetmed.lsu.edu/admissions - for class statistics.)
There might have been a question earlier regarding the number of applicants that are interviewed in each applicant pool. The LSU SVM only interviews approximately the top 60-70 percent of each applicant pool.

I hope this additional information is helpful!

I just spoke with Janet and she said they are working to fix the system right now. Don't worry, it is just a computer issue.

It's Jared... and Jared is a "he". :)

Hey drwillife, did you get your answers about how gpa's are calculated, and what are they considering electives. Still working on my pre requisites, but this infomation would be great to help with future course selection.
Thanks.

Elective courses are any other course taken in addition to the prerequisite coursework. There isn't an exact number of "elective" credit hours that will factor into the Required Courses GPA. As long as an applicant has taken a minimum of 20 additional credit hours worth of coursework in addition to the prerequisite coursework, then that applicant has met the eligibility requirements. Meeting the eligibility requirements is separate from how the Required Courses GPA is calculated.

The LSU SVM Admissions web site (www.vetmed.lsu.edu/admissions/gpa.asp) contains information regarding the GPA calculations. In addition to the specific prerequisite courses, also factored into the Required Course GPA are any other Animal Science, Physical Science or Biological Science courses that are taken and in which an "A" grade is earned. Social science, humanities, business, engineering, kinesiology, and any general education courses are NOT calculated into the Required Course GPA; however these courses (with the exception of kinesiology courses) will still be used for the Last 45 Credit Hour as seen below.

The Required Courses GPA is not calculated with an exact number of credit hours. If one earns "A" grades in only nine credit hours of upper-level biology courses, then only nine credit hours of "A" grades will be included with the prerequisite courses in the Required Courses GPA.
I hope this information is helpful!

Looks like there will be no new updates until Jan 3rd ...the suspense is killing me!

Don't forget! :)

"Fall 2011 Transcript Deadline - Fall 2011 transcripts WITH FINAL GRADES EARNED for all courses must be received by the LSU SVM Admissions Office no later than January 15th, 2012."

Don't forget! :)

"Fall 2011 Transcript Deadline - Fall 2011 transcripts WITH FINAL GRADES EARNED for all courses must be received by the LSU SVM Admissions Office no later than January 15th, 2012."

Sent it way before school let out! At least..I requested it. I'm always afraid/paranoid that the registar's office will forget :scared:

I feel like I'm in limbo land, thinking about adding a status update refresher button to my phone

...thinking about adding a status update refresher button to my phone

This is a fantastic idea! With as often as I'm hitting it, that would make it MUCH easier. My computer has already remembered all my usernames/passwords/emails.

What a disappointing game! I hope no one is reviewing my folder today...yikes!

Good luck, everyone!

Regarding the A grades in elective Biology, Animal, and Physical Sciences classes being included in the GPA calculation, are only flat As included? Not A- s?

As long as all your prereq's are filled, and the classes are electives for the LSU application, yes, only the A's are counted towards your GPA. :) They really try and help you out.

I'm from Arkansas and am applying. I was an alternate before. Hopefully I'll get accepted this time. If not I've been accepted to Ross and will start in May.

Hi ranger! We should hear any day now about interview Invites, I'm soo excited. I need to stop checking the status check, the suspense is quite exhausting. :)

If you check your e-mail you'll get an e-mail notification immediately if you are getting an interview or not. If you have e-mail on your phone you won't have to check the status update all the time. That's what I did the first time I applied.

If you check your e-mail you'll get an e-mail notification immediately if you are getting an interview or not. If you have e-mail on your phone you won't have to check the status update all the time. That's what I did the first time I applied.

Oh, that is good to know! Now I can stop obsessively checking the status update page. :D