LUCOM vs. WVSOM vs TouroNY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hexane19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Honest opinions from people who have interviewed here?

Members don't see this ad.

My interview experience at LUCOM wasn't pleasant. I started out feeling good about the program, but certain things that the staff did and said to me just made me uncomfortable. I got the impression that some of it was because of my gender, but I can't be sure.

Can you PM me those negative things? I interviewed there and didn't experience anything overly negative.

Members don't see this ad :)
No it's not. I am looking for insight from people who have interviewed at those three schools. I saw LUCOM and TouroNY.

LUCOM had a nicer building. TouroNY had no campus. Haven't formed a solid opinion on WVSOM

I have interviewed at WVSOM. It seem like a great campus with very caring faculty. I do like the fact that some of their rotation sites have in house residencies. However, they have a ton of primary care rotation requirements and only 3 1/2 months worth of elective rotations. So one would have a tougher time gearing ones education towards specialty fields. Your education will be solid if you are going for primary care though.

My pick would be TouroNY. They are in a city located next to multiple hospitals (more shadowing and research opportunities). I think the rotations are good as well.

Touro-NY, its a little more expensive than the others but it's established (unlike LUCOM) and no rural/primary care emphasis like WVSOM. This is assuming you are a not a WV resident because if so the cheap IS tuition of WVSOM certainly makes it better than TouroNY.

Anyone in favor of LUCOM (seriously)? Perhaps the new facilities and being in the 3rd class will allow for extra malleability as a med student. Perhaps a better opportunity to influence program changes.

I think you need to go where you feel the best fit. If that's LUCOM then pick there. You might be able to influence program changes, but there's no guarantee. Regardless, congrats on all your acceptances!

I know nothing about any of those schools but definitely would not put having an opportunity to change the program because of how new it is as a priority to decide which school. I think you go with the school that best fits your personal and professional goals. If you're gunning for a specialty then you pick Touro. Also, this is my 0.02, but LUCOM is nowhere near as proven as WVUCOM and TUCOM. I wouldn't risk 200k+ for an unproven school that has a good amount of controversy surrounding it