March acceptances have passed and so have my hopes. Need advice for possible reapplying please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turtledweeb17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Not an avid user but I was wondering if anyone is willing to give some feedback on my current application and how to move forward? I would prefer to PM to keep more anonymity.

Interviewed at 5 MD schools, *EDIT: 2 R, 3WL. Trying to stay positive but also realistic, so I want to start planning now. Thinking of reapplying in 2 years btw. I’m open to any advice, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Have all five schools just not got back to you at all (complete silence, no communication what so ever)? Even the ones in October? Are the schools rolling? Did they give you an estimate on when they would get back to you. Most places I interviewed at gave an estimate of when we would hear back (for both acceptance and rejection) and most of them have been pretty good about keeping to the estimate.

I feel like there should be a good chance of you getting into at least one school after having 5 interviews (or at least a waitlist).

Have all five schools just not got back to you at all (complete silence, no communication what so ever)? Even the ones in October? Are the schools rolling? Did they give you an estimate on when they would get back to you. Most places I interviewed at gave an estimate of when we would hear back (for both acceptance and rejection) and most of them have been pretty good about keeping to the estimate.

I feel like there should be a good chance of you getting into at least one school after having 5 interviews (or at least a waitlist).

I believe all of them are rolling based. 4 of my schools (2 in state) explicitly said that this week is the last acceptance call and if we haven’t heard back then we are most likely waitlisted or rejected. One school has one more decision call end of March but their class is basically full by now (based on their FB class member lol) .

Members don't see this ad :)
5 interviews is a lot to not get any acceptances so don’t give up hope as their is still time. What is your reasoning for waiting two years? That number of MD interviews indicates you have a solid app and may just require some re-writing, a better school list, and a look at your interview skills.

5 schools is a lot to not hear anything from. I know you probably have, but have you checked your spam email? Sometimes things get mixed up there with decisions from schools. Also, if you don't get in, why wait 2 years to reapply? 5 interviews says that you have a pretty good app. Maybe you just need to brush up on your interview skills.

5 interviews is a lot to not get any acceptances so don’t give up hope as their is still time. What is your reasoning for waiting two years? That number of MD interviews indicates you have a solid app and may just require some re-writing, a better school list, and a look at your interview skills.

Yeah, I could see that my weakness is most likely my interview skills or my 2nd MCAT. I guess I can at least state that my main concern is that I scored lower on my second MCAT: 509 (123 CARS) —> 508 (125 CARS). I’m concerned that admissions committee reevaluate my app after interviews and see that again as a red flag. I have no IA and ORM btw.

Yeah, I could see that my weakness is most likely my interview skills or my 2nd MCAT. I guess I can at least state that my main concern is that I scored lower on my second MCAT: 509 (123 CARS) —> 508 (125 CARS). I’m concerned that admissions committee reevaluate my app after interviews and see that again as a red flag. I have no IA and ORM btw.

There must be more to this story. Where did you interview? Were these OOS public med schools? Are any of these schools one of your instate public med schools?

No, that isn’t how it works. Adcoms don’t decide your mcat is good enough for an interview and then change their mind and decide it’s a red flag.

Reactions: 1 users

My reasoning is that I do not have any major improvements in my app besides continuing research and work. If I were to be unsuccessful this cycle, then reapplying the following cycle is not something I would be comfortable. Moreover, I need to work and save up money for another round of applying lol

No, that isn’t how it works. Adcoms don’t decide your mcat is good enough for an interview and then change their mind and decide it’s a red flag.

Ah I see. Well then most likely it is my interviewing skills that is not wowing them. I practiced with mock interviews that my school provides and with friends and employers, but I guess it wasn’t enough.

Ah I see. Well then most likely it is my interviewing skills that is not wowing them. I practiced with mock interviews that my school provides and with friends and employers, but I guess it wasn’t enough.

Before deciding to wait two years, I would reach out to the schools you interviewed at after this cycle is over and get feedback from them. You may find out some good information on how to be more successful next cycle. Some may not give you much info, but others might tell you exactly where you fell short. I still wouldn't resign to not getting in this cycle though, 5 schools is a lot.

Reactions: 1 users
There must be more to this story. Where did you interview? Were these OOS public med schools? Are any of these schools one of your instate public med schools?

I interviewed at 3 OOS (1 private and 2 public) and 2 IS public med schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Before deciding to wait two years, I would reach out to the schools you interviewed at after this cycle is over and get feedback from them. You may find out some good information on how to be more successful next cycle. Some may not give you much info, but others might tell you exactly where you fell short. I still wouldn't resign to not getting in this cycle though, 5 schools is a lot.

That’s true, and yeah I was thinking of contacting them mid April (if it were to be post interview rejections). I just wanna start prepping early just in case, just my personality to have a plan before sulking for the worst. Especially since I just got a post-interview rejection from one of my schools this morning. /:

I interviewed at 3 OOS (1 private and 2 public) and 2 IS public med schools.

Only concerned with the OOS publics. They’re the ones with the strong instate bias and may be using unhooked interviewed applicants as WL, in case they’re needed to fill seats later.

How are your stats for your instate publics? And when do they do most of their acceptances? And when do they place people on wait lists and do they they them if they’re upper third, etc, on the WL

That’s true, and yeah I was thinking of contacting them mid April (if it were to be post interview rejections). I just wanna start prepping early just in case, just my personality to have a plan before sulking for the worst.

Especially since I just got a post-interview rejection from one of my schools this morning. /:

From an OOS public? Or what?

Only concerned with the OOS publics. They’re the ones with the strong instate bias and may be using unhooked interviewed applicants as WL, in case they’re needed to fill seats later.

How are your stats for your instate publics? And when do they do most of their acceptances? And when do they place people on wait lists and do they they them if they’re upper third, etc, on the WL

From an OOS public? Or what?
My gpa is at or above my IS schools’ 90th percentile, and MCAT is either at the medium or above the medium. I received a post-interview rejection from my first interviewed School, it was IS. This is most likely from my interview skills I guess. Asked for feedback and waiting for a response, hopefully I get some insight! But yeah, now I’m even more worried if I’m gonna get post-interview rejections from my other 4 schools now lol *NERVOUS LAUGHS*

I think Goro was saying it's usually 3 II, and 1 accept most commonly. I'm not sure.

Have you contacted any of the admissions offices to check on your status? A simple phone call asking to check on your application status because you haven’t heard anything since October is harmless, unless you’ve been explicitly told by an admissions office not to contact them.

Not only do you know you’re status, but you also show that you’re still interested in attending that school. I literally got an interview (and subsequent acceptance) at an OOS public school from doing this.

Have you contacted any of the admissions offices to check on your status? A simple phone call asking to check on your application status because you haven’t heard anything since October is harmless, unless you’ve been explicitly told by an admissions office not to contact them.

Not only do you know you’re status, but you also show that you’re still interested in attending that school. I literally got an interview (and subsequent acceptance) at an OOS public school from doing this.

I called this morning and one of my schools had delayed decisions for this week or next week. No clear answer for my other schools though, so fingers crossed . Hopefully I’ll know at least where I stand by the end of the month.

Would you or anyone else know if that March 15th date is a strict rule or more of a recommendation for schools to send acceptances by? Trying to determine if my only chances are either waitlist or rejection by now.

I called this morning and one of my schools had delayed decisions for this week or next week. No clear answer for my other schools though, so fingers crossed . Hopefully I’ll know at least where I stand by the end of the month.

Would you or anyone else know if that March 15th date is a strict rule or more of a recommendation for schools to send acceptances by? Trying to determine if my only chances are either waitlist or rejection by now.
It is entirely a recommendation - I am currently accepted to a school which definitely doesn’t follow it, because I think our facebook group would have the final 1/3 of the class if the school had followed the guideline.

The March 15th rule is an AAMC rule. If I recall correctly, the requirement is to have sent at least enough acceptances to fill the class by that point in the cucle. However, it doesn’t account for people who hold multiple acceptances. Those applicants will be required to choose one by the April 30th deadline, aka Traffic Day.

Did you send any letters of intent to these schools post-interview?