Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Maryland and Out of state applicants

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by NOLEGIRL, Dec 2, 2005.

1. NOLEGIRL

NOLEGIRL New Member

Pre-Dental
    Does anyone know how Maryland is with out of state applicants or where I can access this info? I know they accept quite a few out of staters but I don't know from which states. I am a Florida resident and was wondering my chances. Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Blackstars

Blackstars Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yes, they do take quite a few students out of state. I'm out of state, and I got in with scholarship :D . I think your chances of getting in are good. Good luck

4. mcpherson1000

mcpherson1000 Junior Member

I was also accepted out of state (from Ohio). blackstars, did they tell you about scholarships in the email?

5. greenday

greenday Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I got in Maryland too as an out of stater. Even better, I'm from a notorious undergraduate school. Almost at everywhere I went; people either ask me “so why did you choose XXXX in the first place” or try to assure me with “Don’t worry. We won’t judge you on your undergraduate institution” Very funny, but hey, I made it too. :smuggrin:

6. starbright

starbright Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

what type of scholarship was it? and when did htey offer it to you? and for how much and based on what?

7. Blackstars

Blackstars Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

it is a $10.000 a year scholarship each year for four years. It is based on merit.

8. Richnator

Richnator Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

They do accept a good amount of out-of-staters. However, they prefer your DAT score and GPA to be above average then. They prefer in-state students, so you should have a DAT over 19.5 and gpa over 3.4, which is their average, to be competitive. By the way, I got this information from the envelope they gave me during my interview. Oh yah, I am going to University of Maryland next year ^_^ So I hope to see all of you guys next year.

Hope this helps,
    Rich

9. La Miraflorina

La Miraflorina Dental Diva
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hey, I'm a FL resident too and I just got in :D No scholarship, though... Congrats Blackstars :p

Check out this website for in/out of state info... http://dentalstats.tripod.com/03-04.htm

10. ninjajustin

ninjajustin Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Blackstars, I also got the 10,000 dollar scholarship for Maryland; but on my letter it said for the year 2006-2007. Did yours say the same or did it say for all four years specifically?

11. mcpherson1000

mcpherson1000 Junior Member

ahhh people, did it tell you about the scholarship in the email acceptance or in the actual letter, im anxious to know

12. jaerob

jaerob Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Blackstars and ninjajustin, do you guys mind posting your stats? I'm just curious what criteria Maryland uses to award scholarships. Thanks a bunch if you're willing and congrats of course :)

13. NOLEGIRL

NOLEGIRL New Member

Pre-Dental
    Thanks for all the info! I feel better about my interview there now. Congrats to all of you too!

14. ninjajustin

ninjajustin Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I received an email dec. 1st stating that I received a 10,000 $ scholarship for 06-07.

15. starbright

starbright Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

what is your gpa/DAT scores? i received an acceptance but no scholarship..however i only have a 3.77 gpa from a UC and a 21 AA 22TS and 19 PAT

16. beannaithe

beannaithe Bionerd
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    maybe it's for instaters? i've got a 3.6 and a 21/21/18, but didn't get anything either. but eh...i'm in, so it's all good! :thumbup: :D

17. jaerob

jaerob Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't think it's for in-state applicants. Blackstars has said he/she was out of state. I'm in-state with 3.87 GPA and 23AA/22PAT and I wasn't awarded any scholarship :( For some reason I have a feeling that Maryland is more willing to award scholarships to out of state applicants, which sucks big time, haha.