Maryland and Out of state applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NOLEGIRL

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how Maryland is with out of state applicants or where I can access this info? I know they accept quite a few out of staters but I don't know from which states. I am a Florida resident and was wondering my chances. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

NOLEGIRL said:
Does anyone know how Maryland is with out of state applicants or where I can access this info? I know they accept quite a few out of staters but I don't know from which states. I am a Florida resident and was wondering my chances. Thanks!

Yes, they do take quite a few students out of state. I'm out of state, and I got in with scholarship :D . I think your chances of getting in are good. Good luck

I was also accepted out of state (from Ohio). blackstars, did they tell you about scholarships in the email?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got in Maryland too as an out of stater. Even better, I'm from a notorious undergraduate school. Almost at everywhere I went; people either ask me “so why did you choose XXXX in the first place” or try to assure me with “Don’t worry. We won’t judge you on your undergraduate institution” Very funny, but hey, I made it too. :smuggrin:

Blackstars said:
Yes, they do take quite a few students out of state. I'm out of state, and I got in with scholarship :D . I think your chances of getting in are good. Good luck

what type of scholarship was it? and when did htey offer it to you? and for how much and based on what?

starbright said:
what type of scholarship was it? and when did htey offer it to you? and for how much and based on what?

it is a $10.000 a year scholarship each year for four years. It is based on merit.

NOLEGIRL said:
They do accept a good amount of out-of-staters. However, they prefer your DAT score and GPA to be above average then. They prefer in-state students, so you should have a DAT over 19.5 and gpa over 3.4, which is their average, to be competitive. By the way, I got this information from the envelope they gave me during my interview. Oh yah, I am going to University of Maryland next year ^_^ So I hope to see all of you guys next year.

Hope this helps,
Rich

NOLEGIRL said:

Hey, I'm a FL resident too and I just got in :D No scholarship, though... Congrats Blackstars :p

Check out this website for in/out of state info... http://dentalstats.tripod.com/03-04.htm

Blackstars, I also got the 10,000 dollar scholarship for Maryland; but on my letter it said for the year 2006-2007. Did yours say the same or did it say for all four years specifically?

ahhh people, did it tell you about the scholarship in the email acceptance or in the actual letter, im anxious to know

Blackstars and ninjajustin, do you guys mind posting your stats? I'm just curious what criteria Maryland uses to award scholarships. Thanks a bunch if you're willing and congrats of course :)

Thanks for all the info! I feel better about my interview there now. Congrats to all of you too!

I received an email dec. 1st stating that I received a 10,000 $ scholarship for 06-07.

Blackstars said:
it is a $10.000 a year scholarship each year for four years. It is based on merit.

what is your gpa/DAT scores? i received an acceptance but no scholarship..however i only have a 3.77 gpa from a UC and a 21 AA 22TS and 19 PAT

starbright said:
what is your gpa/DAT scores? i received an acceptance but no scholarship..however i only have a 3.77 gpa from a UC and a 21 AA 22TS and 19 PAT

maybe it's for instaters? i've got a 3.6 and a 21/21/18, but didn't get anything either. but eh...i'm in, so it's all good! :thumbup: :D

beannaithe said:
maybe it's for instaters? i've got a 3.6 and a 21/21/18, but didn't get anything either. but eh...i'm in, so it's all good! :thumbup: :D

I don't think it's for in-state applicants. Blackstars has said he/she was out of state. I'm in-state with 3.87 GPA and 23AA/22PAT and I wasn't awarded any scholarship :( For some reason I have a feeling that Maryland is more willing to award scholarships to out of state applicants, which sucks big time, haha.