Masters/Post-Bacc Info, Support, and Acceptance/Rejection Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChillCops!

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and girls,

My first app cycle was unsuccessful, but I'm not letting it get me too down as I've completed some new apps for different BMS masters programs.

I've applied to:
BU-Oral Health Sciences
NYU - Oral Biology
Rutgers BMS
Tufts BMS
Wayne State BMS
Nova BMS
George Mason/Georgetown BMS

Has anyone else applied to these programs (or others) and heard back? All of my applications were officially completed last week once my last LOR was submitted.

I also kind of wanted to make a support thread for individuals having to take this extra step towards dentistry. I'll be graduating undergrad this April, but was advised by someone in Michigan's admissions office to not re-apply this June. Meaning, I would be applying in 2018... for the chance to graduate dental school in 2023. Just the thought of that date scares me. Some of my friends in the business school, for example, will be working on Wall Street next year making the big-boy dollars while I'm putting myself into considerable more debt with these masters programs. Anyone else have similar gripes? Besides "keeping the dream alive" and "never giving up because dentistry is something you'll love" what are some ways to handle these sobering thoughts?

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply, if you're so willing.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it too late to apply to these programs?

I applied to the George Mason/Gerogetown program on the the second week of Jan. My application was complete and processed by the end of the third week and I got my acceptance two weeks later! I also went to their open house and enjoyed it!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to RU and got in. I withdrew from Boston. RU should be your safety school. I think you'll get in. I applied to Nova as well, not that I will attend it but Nova hasn't given out interviews to pre dental yet.

I applied to RU and got in. I withdrew from Boston. RU should be your safety school. I think you'll get in. I applied to Nova as well, not that I will attend it but Nova hasn't given out interviews to pre dental yet.

Why do you say RU should be my safety? I was accepted yesterday.

Why do you say RU should be my safety? I was accepted yesterday.
in case you don't get into your top choice, you can always go to RU, unless RU is your first choice.

Also, if your stats aren't good enough, reapplying this June won't help since you need time to improve and make a comeback. Done let 2023 scare you. It doesn't matter how long you get to your destination, as long as you make it. Don't compare dentistry to business. Also, everyone moves and works at their own pace. Just put your all into focusing towards your goal.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, if your stats aren't good enough, reapplying this June won't help since you need time to improve and make a comeback. Done let 2023 scare you. It doesn't matter how long you get to your destination, as long as you make it. Don't compare dentistry to business. Also, everyone moves and works at their own pace. Just put your all into focusing towards your goal.

I appreciate the support and good advice. My personal statement for these programs revolved around this very topic... "Moving forward" after the barrage of rejections I received and getting over the hump of defeat.

Not sure if this helps, but I completed the BMS program at Midwestern in Glendale, AZ. They have 2 programs: a 1 yr and 2 yr. I did the 2 yr, and out of the 8 pre dents in my class, 7 of us got into their dental program.

Just curious, if I get accepted to dental school while I am completing post-bac or master's program, can I just drop out of the master's program and go to dental school?

Just curious, if I get accepted to dental school while I am completing post-bac or master's program, can I just drop out of the master's program and go to dental school?
Some schools (most i think actually) require you to finish the masters before you reapply, or have it done by matriculation. This is why most people opt for only one year masters/post-baccs.

Some schools (most i think actually) require you to finish the masters before you reapply, or have it done by matriculation. This is why most people opt for only one year masters/post-baccs.
I see. I was going to enter Theological school for 3 yrs mater's program (personal reason), but it is better to not enter Theological school if I am going to reapply this year. Right?