Match Day 2012......????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can only imagine the level of litigation that would result from this set up. It is extremely risky from a legel perspective to make candidate eligibility a subjective process. This is why there is no limit on the number of attempts by a single candidate as well. If you pass Part 1 and complete the coursework required, you are eligible and you may attempt the exam as many times as you wish.

Sorry, but this is how it is even in the allopathic world. If you miss an examination of any kind, the REASON is evaluated and there ARE panels that monitor this. I know, because I was on one.

And AGAIN, I don't care how many time it takes you to pass the examination. That's not what we are talking about here. We're talking about passing it BEFORE match day. How many chances do you get???

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, but this is how it is even in the allopathic world. If you miss an examination of any kind, the REASON is evaluated and there ARE panels that monitor this.

The existence of appeals panels is not up for debate. Don't try to muddy the waters on this.

We are talking eligibility to re-take the USMLE/APMLE only.

You suggested that students who fail the January APMLE offering should not have a second opportunity to take the exam before the match unless they go before an appeals panel and ask.

No other exam imposes that kind of subjective decision making on routine board exam candidate eligibility, and for obvious good reason.

. We're talking about passing it BEFORE match day. How many chances do you get???

There are offerings throughout the year and it's my understanding that you can take it for the first attempt whenever you feel ready. Scores are out roughly 3 weeks after the exam. How many times before match day would depend when you took it initially.

The number of attempts at the USMLE Step 2 CK before the match is determined by student decision.

The APMLE is only offered in January, March and May of each year.

I'm really not sure what you "don't get", but I have exhausted my time available to spend discussing the issue. Perhaps someone else will be able to offer more pertinent insight.

We are talking eligibility to re-take the USMLE/APMLE only.

Because of an emergency situation, yes.

There are offerings throughout the year and it's my understanding that you can take it for the first attempt whenever you feel ready. Scores are out roughly 3 weeks after the exam. How many times before match day would depend when you took it initially.

I didn't know all the above information. Maybe it would behoove Podiatry to take a page out of this if this is what students feel is more fair. Thanks for the information.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting discussion. I'm not opposed to students getting the opportunity to take the boards more than once before the match, but I am opposed to pushing the match back to April to get it accomplished.

April 9. Possibly the following week depending upon when the test is scored. NBPME board members last week at the APMA HOD in Washington DC were not confident that the test would be scored prior to April 2.

Did you speak to an NBPME board member directly? I tried hard to get match dates, but no dice. I heard different on scoring dates but you must have first hand info to be posting, so thanks for the update.

April 9. Possibly the following week depending upon when the test is scored. NBPME board members last week at the APMA HOD in Washington DC were not confident that the test would be scored prior to April 2.

I dont understand. What do these people do all day at work? If this is your #1 priority why does it take so long to get these scores graded?

Raw scores are produced almost instantly after the test is administered and are sent to NBPME and school deans. Unfortunately, there are only so many times that the NBPME board can meet after the administration of a APMLE exam. The NBPME board is made up of current clinicians, professors, statisticians, and administrators with differing schedules. Once the raw scores are disseminated to NBPME, they go through each question to determine the statistical validity of the question and subsequent answers. Unfortunately, this is a very time-intensive and inefficient procedure and often takes weeks for a test to properly be scored.

Raw scores are produced almost instantly after the test is administered and are sent to NBPME and school deans....Once the raw scores are disseminated to NBPME, they go through each question to determine the statistical validity of the question and subsequent answers. Unfortunately, this is a very time-intensive and inefficient procedure and often takes weeks for a test to properly be scored.

Why are raw scores sent to the deans before the statistical validity of the exam items is determined?

This is to provide the Deans with an overall idea as to how well the class as a whole performed on an unadjusted, raw score scale. There are no identifiers as to how well individual students performed on the examination, but rather shows class data and individualized scores with no identifying information.

either way, it's unacceptable that there are 3 months in between interviews and match

Raw scores are produced almost instantly after the test is administered and are sent to NBPME and school deans. Unfortunately, there are only so many times that the NBPME board can meet after the administration of a APMLE exam. The NBPME board is made up of current clinicians, professors, statisticians, and administrators with differing schedules. Once the raw scores are disseminated to NBPME, they go through each question to determine the statistical validity of the question and subsequent answers. Unfortunately, this is a very time-intensive and inefficient procedure and often takes weeks for a test to properly be scored.

I think the only logical answer to this problem is to charge the students another $900 and take the test again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just heard from our dean that Match day is tentatively scheduled for next Monday, April 2 at 11 am...

Just heard from our dean that Match day is tentatively scheduled for next Monday, April 2 at 11 am...

Confirmed today as well. Can't wait till next week!

I heard someone from AZPOD hacked the system a few days ago... Is that true?

where is everybody?? what time were the results out?

The match results were released at 11am. You can see what programs are currently scrambling Here. I'm surprised at the lack of top programs on this list. There are a few, but not many. As usual, the state of New York has the most spots open (there are 53 residency programs in the New York tristate area).

thanks! Curious...why do some of the programs indicate they are 24 months and not 36?

thanks! Curious...why do some of the programs indicate they are 24 months and not 36?

I may be wrong, but programs aren't forced to be a 36 until next year. I wonder if these are truly 2 year spots still.

Also, I think the PMSR Cert means that you also earn your rearfoot certification. I think when all programs go to PMSR 36, only some will qualify you in rearfoot surgery, and these are the PMSR Cert programs. Anyone have a more concrete answer?

Yeah, I found out yesterday. I matched! I don't know who hacked the system. All that was done was to erase a word in the web address bar and then type in a few words and then we were able to see out match. All of the 4th year students received an email saying that some students accessed the match results early and that try were not finalized. Early yesterday, the students that did not pass boards the 2nd time were still in the system as matching. Then yesterday afternoon, they updated the match and some programs changed for some of my classmates. It was cool to see where I was going a day early. Congrats to all that matched and good luck to those who scrambled.

Wow. It seems to me that there are A LOT of unfilled positions. Is it just me?

The system wasn't "hacked", and it wasn't a student from the school you mentioned...so no. I find it funny how often you comment on things that you clearly have little to no knowledge of.

Kidsfeet said:
Wow. It seems to me that there are A LOT of unfilled positions. Is it just me?

87% of the available seats were filled with the match. But I couldn't tell you if that is a low number compared to years past. If I'm remembering correctly from last year, there are a few more unfilled seats this year, but there are also a few more brand new programs and new seats at existing programs that may have been harder to fill. I'll check with someone who will know

The system wasn't "hacked", and it wasn't a student from the school you mentioned...so no. I find it funny how often you comment on things that you clearly have little to no knowledge of.

You don't seem to be laughing? :laugh:

But seriously, who figured that out?

87% of the available seats were filled with the match. But I couldn't tell you if that is a low number compared to years past. If I'm remembering correctly from last year, there are a few more unfilled seats this year, but there are also a few more brand new programs and new seats at existing programs that may have been harder to fill. I'll check with someone who will know

Should there be an assumption that there will be no shortage this year, then?

Official Statistics as reported by CASPR

Positions available: 503
Contending applicants: 530
Matched applicants: 440
Positions unfilled: 63
Applicants unmatched: 90

Spots are filling up. Good Luck to all those are scrambling

Should there be an assumption that there will be no shortage this year, then?

There hasn't been an official report regarding national pass rate for part II. But it is pretty safe to assume that somewhere north of 40 students did not pass part II even after the second offering. So subtract those 40 from the 530 (that's how many 4th years originally filled out a CASPR app) and you have just under 490 new graduates and 503 spots. In my opinion, that should not be considered a "shortage"

There hasn't been an official report regarding national pass rate for part II. But it is pretty safe to assume that somewhere north of 40 students did not pass part II even after the second offering. So subtract those 40 from the 530 (that's how many 4th years originally filled out a CASPR app) and you have just under 490 new graduates and 503 spots. In my opinion, that should not be considered a "shortage"

Agreed.

Its QUITE an oversight allowing any backdoor way to find out results early. At the end of the day, it isn't a big deal but still a little embarrassing for caspr.

I was surprised to see that Jon Steinberg's program in D.C. has a spot and that Paul Stone's program in Denver has a spot. These are top notch residency directors with a wealth of knowledge and skill.

I was surprised to see that Jon Steinberg's program in D.C. has a spot and that Paul Stone's program in Denver has a spot. These are top notch residency directors with a wealth of knowledge and skill.

Yeah there are a handful of really good programs out there and of course the usual suspects.

Official Statistics as reported by CASPR

Positions available: 503
Contending applicants: 530
Matched applicants: 440
Positions unfilled: 63
Applicants unmatched: 90

Spots are filling up. Good Luck to all those are scrambling

So the 90 applicants unmatched: are those all people who are eligible (passed part 2) or does that include those who didn't pass as well?

For Washington Hospital Center, Stephen Kominsky was the director (as you probably know) until this year, and during interviews the program still didn't have a permanent director.. I'm sure causing hesitation among prospective applicants. I suspect that if they would have had Steinberg (for sure) during interviews, no spots would have been left over.

For Washington Hospital Center, Stephen Kominsky was the director (as you probably know) until this year, and during interviews the program still didn't have a permanent director.. I'm sure causing hesitation among prospective applicants. I suspect that if they would have had Steinberg (for sure) during interviews, no spots would have been left over.

I know Steve and wasn't aware that he was no longer the director. I'm obviously out of the loop, and haven't spoken with him in a long time. What was the reason that he is no longer the director?

I know Steve and wasn't aware that he was no longer the director. I'm obviously out of the loop, and haven't spoken with him in a long time. What was the reason that he is no longer the director?

Yeah me either!

What's the scoop???

Its QUITE an oversight allowing any backdoor way to find out results early. At the end of the day, it isn't a big deal but still a little embarrassing for caspr.
I don't know if everyone had the same problem as me when I tried to access the match results, but once it hit 11:00 AM, the site showed an error message every time I clicked on my results for a few minutes. I already knew where I was going (not because I accessed the site through a backdoor), and it still made me anxious! I can only imagine how it was for those who didn't know:bang:

I don't know if/when we'll get an official list of where everyone is going, but just from word of mouth here are most of the places AZPod is sending students this year:

Covenant Medical Center - Waterloo, IA
DVA Denver - Denver, CO
DVA Palo Alto - Palo Alto, CA
DVA Phoenix x3 - Phoenix, AZ
Fountain Valley Regional Medical Center - Fountain valley, CA
Henry Ford Macomb - Clinton Township, MI
Intermountain Medical Center - Murray, UT
Jewish Hospital and St. Mary's Healthcare - Louisville, KY
John Peter Smith - Fort Worth, TX
Kaiser Santa Clara x2 - Santa Clara, CA
Legacy x2 - Portland, OR
Madigan Army Medical Center - Tacoma, WA
Northside Medical Center - Youngstown, OH
Oakwood Annapolis - Wayne, MI
Ochsner Medical Center - Kenner, LA
Scott and White x2- Temple, TX
St. Mary Mercy Livonia - Livonia, MI
Swedish Medical Center - Seattle, WA
United Health Health Services Hospitals x2 - Johnson City, NY
University of Texas Health Science Center x2 - San Antonio, TX

I am sure that I missed some, but that is what I can remember off the top of my head. Good luck to all those still scrambling!

Last edited:
Long story short is that he was forced out. I know one of the residents there who told me some of what happened.

If you don't mind sharing your knowledge of "some of what happened", I would certainly like to know. This is an annoymous site, and as long as the information isn't hurtful to Dr. Kominsky's reputation, I'd be curious.

If you don't mind sharing your knowledge of "some of what happened", I would certainly like to know. This is an annoymous site, and as long as the information isn't hurtful to Dr. Kominsky's reputation, I'd be curious.

Same here.

Paul Stone is a great pod, but have you seen how the residents are treated over there?

It'd probably be safer if you guys were to request this info via Private Messaging. You're more likely to get a straight answer, and there's less chance of poop hitting the fan

As I've said in many other posts, there is really no reason to be treated poorly. It is usually the result of egos too large for themselves and also having been abused as a resident themselves so, "I had to go through it, so should they" mentality.

It makes me sick. I was treated poorly as a resident and refuse to "pass it on". I don't even make the residents that work with me call me "Dr.". I give them a hard time if they DON'T address me by my first name. We are all colleagues, here. The only difference between you and me is experience and time put in so far. That doesn't mean I don't asked to be treated with respect, but imo respect is EARNED. We should all be respected for who we are as people foremost, and then a growing professional admiration is possible. I worked with some brilliant surgeons in residency, but I couldn't stomach being around many of them due to their over inflated egos, and how they talked to me and the staff we worked with.

We go through residency because it is the true stepping stone for the rest of our careers. There is no reason for it to be an unpleasant working environment. It's hard enough already, imo. Not only that, but you make relationships that could span your career and life, good and bad. Wouldn't it be nice if they were all GOOD!

Good luck out there.