Match Day 2012......????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree. Being treated poorly as a resident is a mentality I never understood. I guess some people have issues and treating a resident poorly somehow makes them feel better.

I also tell residents that they can call me my first name, though they always default to calling me Dr.---. I enjoy teaching and teach without intimidation. I don't ask the residents to do my scut work, and more often than not I do my own pre and post op paperwork. I don't teach by intimidation, but enjoy trying to understand the resident's reason for doing xyz, and then will tell the resident why I do abc. I still learn from residents, though hopefully they're learning more from me.

I know Dr. Stone and believe he's excellent, but have no idea how the residents in his program are treated. I would like to hope that with his knowledge and skills, the residents are treated fairly, which in my opinion would add up to making a great program.

Members don't see this ad.

I've always called my bosses "sir" unless they specifically requested I call them by name, and even then I used "sir" when responding to a boss-type request (ie, call them by name during conversation, call them sir when asked to do something job related) and don't see myself calling an attending anything but Dr.

I suppose it's because I see what I have to go through here, and understand you older folks have done it already, and deserve at the very least being called the title as a symbol of the authority over my position, and I feel it promotes an environment where it's clear that I'm there to learn, and understand who I'm there to primarily learn from. At that point I would have the degree, no? So were a doc to demand being called "Dr.", I would expect the same courtesy from them in the name of professionalism and courtesy.

I imagine were an attending to request that I call them by first name, I would probably do the same as I always have, using it in conversation, and using "Dr" when discussing things of the job, or especially in front of a patient (nothing screams "unprofessional" like, I think they have X condition, Jimbo).

You guys make me nervous to go out into the field...I've had too many terrible bosses that treated me like crap, despite my being a respectful and hardworking employee, and don't look forward to doing all of that again, especially after what I'm having to go through to earn the privilege of being there.

Its QUITE an oversight allowing any backdoor way to find out results early. At the end of the day, it isn't a big deal but still a little embarrassing for caspr.

Thought some of the current students would find this interesting, and I'm curious to hear more from any 4th years who might still be around...

They were able to track (to some extent) who accessed the match list early and will be sending a list of the students who did to their respective Deans. I personally doubt anything will be done any of the schools, but technically those students did violate the terms of the user agreement laid out by CASPR....

Members don't see this ad :)
Was the list freely accessible?

If so, that sounds a bit stupid to punish the students.

If there was some black hat stuff going on, I understand, but otherwise....maybe just do a better job of not uploading the stuff?

Thought some of the current students would find this interesting, and I'm curious to hear more from any 4th years who might still be around...

They were able to track (to some extent) who accessed the match list early and will be sending a list of the students who did to their respective Deans. I personally doubt anything will be done any of the schools, but technically those students did violate the terms of the user agreement laid out by CASPR....
I don't think any of the students will be punished. Should they? Well, I dunno. What can they do to punish them? Take away their program? That seems harsh. So then what can they do? Some of those students have probably already graduated. I hope CASPR takes it as a lesson learned for next year. I hope they figure out a way to move match back up to March for next year too, but that is another story for another thread

Does anyone know how many students were involved, and how exactly this happened??

I don't think any of the students will be punished. Should they? Well, I dunno. What can they do to punish them? Take away their program? That seems harsh. So then what can they do? Some of those students have probably already graduated. I hope CASPR takes it as a lesson learned for next year. I hope they figure out a way to move match back up to March for next year too, but that is another story for another thread

Should they? Personally, I don't think so. Especially considering how the info was accessed. Can they? Probably not. I don't see what they could do. BUT, it was technically in violation of the user agreement, and most likely an honor code violation at most (if not all) schools to violate that agreement.

I think anyone who is knowledgable about the situation figures that this is more of a "show of force", so to speak, to dissuade others from trying to access match list materials in the future...

Here are the Temple match results that were sent out by the dean.

New York Methodist Hospital – NY, PM&S-36
St. Barnabas Hospital – NY, PM&S-36
Scott & White Memorial Hospital – TX, PM&S-36
Mercy Suburban Hospital – PA, PMSR Cert
Northside Medical Center – OH, PM&S-36
Roger Williams Medical Center – RI, PMSR Cert
St. John Hospital & Medical Center – MI, PMSR Cert
Long Beach Memorial Medical Center – CA, PM&S-36
Inova Fairfax Hospital – PA, PM&S-36
Penn Presbyterian Medical Center – PA, PMSR Cert
Roxborough Memorial Hospital – PA, PM&S-36
Aria Health Hospitals – PA, PM&S-36
University Hospital/UMDNJ – NJ, PM&S-36
Southeast Michigan Surgical Hospital (Kern) – MI, PM&S-36
United Health Services Hospitals – NY, PM&S-36
Scripps Mercy Kaiser – CA, PMSR Cert
Kingwood Medical Center – TX, PM&S-36
Millcreek Community Hospital – PA, PMSR Cert
Kennedy University Hospital – NJ, PMSR Cert
Dept. of Veterans Affairs/Philadelphia – PA, PMSR
Crozer Chester Medical Center – PA, PMSR Cert
Hahnemann University Hospital – PA, PM&S-36
Montefiore Medical Center – NY, PMSR Cert
Yale New Haven/Dept. of Veterans Affairs – CT, PM&S-36
Northwest Medical Center – FL, PMSR Cert
Washington Hospital Center – DC, PM&S-36
Community Medical Center – PA, PMSR Cert
Department of Veterans Affairs/East Orange – NJ, PM&S-36
New York Hospital Queens – NY, PMSR Cert
Roxborough Memorial Hospital – PA, PM&S-36
Maricopa Medical Center – AZ, PM&S-36
University General Hospital – TX, PMSR Cert
Jewish Hospital & St. Mary's Health Care – KY, PMSR Cert
St. Luke's Hospital – PA, PM&S-36
Virtua Health System – NJ, PM&S-36
Pinnacle Health Hospitals – PA, PMSR Cert
Lutheran Medical Center – NY, PM&S-36
Catholic Health/Sisters of Charity – NY, PMSR Cert
St. Joseph Medical Center – TX, PM&S-36
Temple University Hospital – PA, PM&S-36
Virtua Health System – NJ, PM&S-36
Morristown Memorial Hospital – NY, PM&S-36
Detroit Medical Center – MI, PMSR Cert
Kaiser Permanente Vallejo – CA, PM&S-36
Shands Jacksonville Medical Center – FL, PMSR Cert
Mercy Suburban Hospital – PA, PMSR Cert
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center – PA, PMSR Cert
Hoboken University Medical Center – NJ, PM&S-36
Long Island Jewish Medical Center – NY, PM&S-36
Cooper University Hospital – NJ, PMSR
University of Texas Health Science Center – TX, PMSR Cert
Palmetto General Hospital – FL, PM&S-36
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center – MA, PM&S-36
Bryn Mawr Hospital – PA, PM&S-36
Chestnut Hill Hospital – PA, PM&S-36
Pinnacle Health Hospitals – PA, PMSR Cert
JFK Medical Center – FL, PM&S-36
Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital – VA, PM&S-36
Metropolitan Hospital Center – NY, PM&S-36
University Hospital/University of Cincinnati – OH, PM&S-36
JFK Medical Center – FL, PM&S-36
St. Joseph Hospital/Chicago – IL, PM&S-36
Our Lady of Lourdes Memorial Hospital – NY, PM&S-36
St. Vincent's Medical Center – FL, PMSR
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center – MA, PM&S-36
St. Luke's Hospital – PA, PM&S-36
Kaiser Permanente Vallejo – CA, PM&S-36
Bryn Mawr Hospital – PA, PM&S-36
Maricopa Medical Center – AZ, PM&S-36
Staten Island University Hospital – NY, PMSR
Florida Hospital East Orlando – FL, PMSR Cert
Dept. of Veterans Affairs/Albuquerque – NM, PM&S-36

Maybe bc im just a lowly pre-pod. But this list doesn't really mean anything to me. With MD/Do lists you get to go "oooh 2 got radiation oncology" "5 got anesthesiology" "wow look at all those pcps when probably only 2 wanted it! "
With pod lists, its tough to really know what a good program is.

Yo AB, what are top five programs in your opinion? Which schools nabbed them?

(I know its not a true reflection on the school bu rather the individual student, but still...)

EDIT: I'll bite. These programs are not my personal top 5 programs but I think anyone who has a discussion about residency programs will mention at least a couple of these programs. They are always on somebody's short list.

- DeKalb - GA
- St. Luke's - CO
- Swedish - WA
- INOVA - VA
- West Penn - PA

+1 for Inova, Dekalb

UPMC would be if they had half the number of residents. As it stands, it's still in the top 10 easily.

I've heard that West Penn is low on quality attendings and a bit overrated. However, Dr. Cantanzariti is probably one of the best educators in podiatry, if not THE best, so it will be a great program as long as he's still around. I believe they are also now taking fewer residents which should help with numbers.

This is a very hard question for a second year student like myself to answer and to be honest my opinion on this matter is not worth a damn. I think one needs to consider that the majority of programs out there are going to offer quality training. Some may "appear" to be better than others simply because who the attendings are, etc. There are many programs that are not considered elite but are very very good. That's where researching and speaking with older students and clinicians will serve you the most.

Rather then give you a list of programs I'd search posts written by Feli on this topic and see what he had to say. He posted a lot on this topic, especially when he was actually going through the extern process.

EDIT: I'll bite. These programs are not my personal top 5 programs but I think anyone who has a discussion about residency programs will mention at least a couple of these programs. They are always on somebody's short list.

- DeKalb - GA
- St. Luke's - CO
- Swedish - WA
- INOVA - VA
- West Penn - PA

This past cycle Scholl matched a student at DeKalb, Swedish, and INOVA.

Thanks for biting AB! :D

I'll bite as well. Some of these are already mentioned but here is a good list in absolutely no order...

Swedish
Dekalb
SF Bay
Legacy in Portland
West Houston
East Orlando
JFK
Inova
Penn-Presby
UPMC
Highlands in Denver

Some people seem to really think highly of DMC and Grant as well.

A lot of "sleeper" programs...sleeper because they may not have "big name" attendings or push a lot of research but have great amounts of surgery, and generally very well rounded...

St. Lukes, Allentown PA
St. Joes in Southbend, IN
Jewish Hospital in Louisville, KY
Gunderson and Wheaton in Wisconsin
Any Kaiser program in Cali will be solid as well.
Norton Hospital in Louisville, KY

I'll bite as well. Some of these are already mentioned but here is a good list in absolutely no order...

Swedish
Dekalb
SF Bay
Legacy in Portland
West Houston
East Orlando
JFK
Inova
Penn-Presby
UPMC
Highlands in Denver

This is a fantastic list. My top 5 would be:

University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC)
Swedish (Seattle, WA)
Grant Medical Center (Columbus, OH)
Florida Hospital East Orlando
Legacy (Portland, OR)

I was lucky enough to match at one of these programs this year.
The rest of the programs listed above are all fantastic however.

If I was a bettin man I'd think out of those five you prob matched at UPMC, Grant or East Orlando. Those three programs tend to get a lot of love from DMU students. They must have good corn at these programs.

If, by your statement, you mean that DMU matches students into some of the best residencies in the country, then yes, I would agree with you. :D

no good NY NJ programs?

Good? Sure. Great, "high powered"? No not really.

You will find solid programs in NY and at UMDNJ in northern jersey but it all depends on what you are looking for, that's most important. I cannot recall any program in jersey or NY that will give you what Penn-Presby in Philly will give you. Programs from all across the area send their patients to see the doctors there.

Good? Sure. Great, "high powered"? No not really.

You will find solid programs in NY and at UMDNJ in northern jersey but it all depends on what you are looking for, that's most important. I cannot recall any program in jersey or NY that will give you what Penn-Presby in Philly will give you. Programs from all across the area send their patients to see the doctors there.

:):thumbup::)