Match Day 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I meant if you find it ethically necessary to include the 40 students from 2012 and earlier in the total. These individuals all graduated in years where there were more positions than there were graduates of their respective classes. Wether you choose to include them in the grand total is up to you. An argument could be made either way.

As for 2014, unless schools are fudging with class numbers (not sure why they'd do it but I wouldn't put anything past em), I believe there will be more spots next year than there are 2014 graduates. Does that mean all 2014 graduates get a program? No. But I don't think it will be because they didn't have the opportunity like many of the 2013 students. Same goes for 2015. I don't think the number of residency-less students (wether you want to call it 60 or 100) will grow over the next 2 years.

Members don't see this ad.

I meant if you find it ethically necessary to include the 40 students from 2012 and earlier in the total. These individuals all graduated in years where there were more positions than there were graduates of their respective classes. Wether you choose to include them in the grand total is up to you. An argument could be made either way.

Im not sure where you are getting your information from but the only " surplus" was 2010 and before when sequential passing of boards wasnt required. There was a small shortage in 2012 but not this bad. Ill give you the actual numbers later

Members don't see this ad :)
In 2012 there were enough seats for every single qualified individual from the class of 2012. The same was true in 2011

And 2012 was the first year that they pulled you from the match if you hadn't passed part II. Prior to that you could get a program and then get yanked if you didn't pass the final administration of the exam in May

Last edited:
And 2012 was the first year that they pulled you from the match if you hadn't passed part II. Prior to that you could get a program and then get yanked if you didn't pass the final administration of the exam in May

This is correct.

It's difficult to interpret numbers relating to residency positions and qualified graduates before 2012 because you could match and then get pulled.

Also, some programs would take another student to fill the spot vacated when board results were released and some would not which leads to more confusion about placement rates, why people were left without a position, etc.

This is correct.

It's difficult to interpret numbers relating to residency positions and qualified graduates before 2012 because you could match and then get pulled.

Also, some programs would take another student to fill the spot vacated when board results were released and some would not which leads to more confusion about placement rates, why people were left without a position, etc.

Exactly. And to add, 2012 was the first year in awhile where there weren't any open seats after the scramble was all said and done. In previous years, programs would go empty instead of picking any of the remaining applicants.