Match Day 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck everyone!

And remember: a lot of you promised program insight once you matched! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on the Part II board pass rate, rumor is the pass rate was extraordinarily high, guess the NB finally gave the chronic complainers (we all know who they are) what they wanted. Should be an interesting day on Wed. Hope you all match, those that don't will have limited options.

With all due respect, there is no way the board, with the highly regarded and respected president it has, would "give in" and make the test "easier" for those who "complained". Students busted their behinds and it shows.

Good luck to all...

With all due respect, there is no way the board, with the highly regarded and respected president it has, would "give in" and make the test "easier" for those who "complained". Students busted their behinds and it shows.

Good luck to all...

Has nothing to do with the ease of the exam but rather a statistical determination. Hopefully, this will motivate individuals in the profession to start or expand residency programs. Otherwise as you suggest many "students who busted their behinds" will be left out in the cold.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 104 the number that will go unmatched and enter next years match, not enter the scramble?

The 104 number (PM News) is number of qualified people in the match who will not get a residency program in the match and subsequent scramble. The programs don't exist right now. Maybe a handful or two of these individuals graduated in 2010 and prior to 2010.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the actual wording (for those who haven't seen it and are curious)

104 Applicants Not Matched for Residency Positions

According to Edwin Wolf, DPM, residency genesis facilitator of the American Association of Colleges of Podiatric Medicine (AACPM), the "perfect storm" has occured. When the residency matches are announced on Wednesday, 104 applicants will not be matched. This is a result of many factors, including the closure of many hospitals, a higher than normal National Boards Part II pass rate, and the first graduating class of WesternU College of Podiatric Medicine.

According to Edwin Wolf, DPM, residency genesis facilitator of the American Association of Colleges of Podiatric Medicine (AACPM), the "perfect storm" has occured. When the residency matches are announced on Wednesday, 104 applicants will not be matched. This is a result of many factors, including the closure of many hospitals, a higher than normal National Boards Part II pass rate, and the first graduating class of WesternU College of Podiatric Medicine.

Damn.

WOW! Nothing like taking out 200K in loans and not having a residency. Truly sad...if the field of podiatry wants to attract top-tier talent, this issue must be resolved.

The above is directly from PM News and is accurate. To clear up any confusion this is the breakdown given to us from our APMSA officer:

Applicants from 2013: 561
Previous applicants (went unmatched in previous years): 59
Total applicants: 620
Total positions: 516
Match discrepancy: 104

The above is directly from PM News and is accurate. To clear up any confusion this is the breakdown given to us from our APMSA officer:

Applicants from 2013: 561
Previous applicants (went unmatched in previous years): 59
Total applicants: 620
Total positions: 516
Match discrepancy: 104

Thanks for the breakdown.

Maybe this was clarified - the 561 applicants represents eligible applicants that passed boards or the total applicants which will be slightly depleted (but not by much) through failure to pass boards?

This is crazy. So much for everyone who says "work hard and you will be juuuust fine."

Maybe this was clarified - the 561 applicants represents eligible applicants that passed boards or the total applicants which will be slightly depleted (but not by much) through failure to pass boards?

eligible applicants.

This is crazy. So much for everyone who says "work hard and you will be juuuust fine."

Well if you look at it from another perspective, about 85% of applicants will get a spot... That is probably within the "work hard and be fine" condition. 15% is still huge and I'm not trying to validate it by any means

Well if you look at it from another perspective, about 85% of applicants will get a spot... That is probably within the "work hard and be fine" condition. 15% is still huge and I'm not trying to validate it by any means

Thats true. The thing that scares me is that the backlog of eligible participants is increasing every year, with the number of spots remaining relatively the same

Do match participants know prior to Match Day that they did (or did not) match (not specifics, but just that they did or didn't) so as not to be "surprised" on Match Day and those that didn't are able to start scrambling at 11 a.m.?

Do match participants know prior to Match Day that they did (or did not) match (not specifics, but just that they did or didn't) so as not to be "surprised" on Match Day and those that didn't are able to start scrambling at 11 a.m.?

No, unlike the MD/DO match, you do not find out prior to the actual scramble. Everyone finds out at the same time, then everyone who does not match to a program starts the scramble process at a set time later that morning when a list of programs that scrambled is released as well.

So most deans recommend that everyone prepares their application and CV the night before, just in case.

I would be interested to know which schools hold the most unmatched students from this cycle (guessing the bigger schools).

From what I've experienced, that information is very, very hard to come across. Most schools will eventually advertise if they do match all if their students to programs, but they are very tentative to talk about the actual number of scramblers.

From what I've experienced, that information is very, very hard to come across. Most schools will eventually advertise if they do match all if their students to programs, but they are very tentative to talk about the actual number of scramblers.

This is exactly right.

This is what the websites state. Some will need updating.

DMU: For our most recent graduates in the class of 2012, 95% of our eligible students were placed into residency programs, and 71% received either their first or second choice program.
Barry: After graduation students are encouraged to continue preparing for their careers by pursuing a residency program. We have a 100% placement rate for podiatric students seeking residencies. AND: 98.11% Residency placement rate (2009-2010) (Top 10 Reasons to Attend Barry)
Kent State: KSUCPM is proud to have an outstanding record of residency placement. For over 20 years, the college has placed 100% of eligible students into residency programs. KSUCPM also has an Office of Graduate Placement that will assist you in researching residency programs as early as your second year at KSUCPM, or earlier, if you are so inclined.
NYCPM: What is NYCPM's residency placement rate? Between 1996 and 2009, NYCPM's residency placement has been 100%.
Arizona: Residency Placement Rate (2010-2012): 98%
Scholl/Western/California/Temple: No information listed. (ie. No specific comment concerning past residency placement)

Here are stats from the 2012 Match Thread.

Official Statistics as reported by CASPR

Positions available: 503
Contending applicants: 530
Matched applicants: 440
Positions unfilled: 63
Applicants unmatched: 90

Spots are filling up. Good Luck to all those are scrambling

Judging from the past few years, it looks like residencies are being generated at an average rate of approximately ~10 slots per year. So it doesn't look like residency slots are staying stagnant, they just aren't increasing fast enough to meet demand.

What options does a graduate who did not obtain a residency have until they can reapply next cycle?

Out of curiosity can any current students comment on the people that do not match? do people that generally not match have bad gpa's, failed boards and had to retake, no research, poor performance on externships?? I know it is a mulitfactorial cause for not matching, but I just wanted to get some opinions. This is kind of frightening for a pre-pod that is about to matriculate this fall.

What options does a graduate who did not obtain a residency have until they can reapply next cycle?
There is a preceptorship program that was created where you basically work for a pod while you reapply. It's not very organized though, and I know several people who applied and were not matched with a preceptor. They basically ended up looking for regular jobs on their own.

Out of curiosity can any current students comment on the people that do not match? do people that generally not match have bad gpa's, failed boards and had to retake, no research, poor performance on externships?? I know it is a mulitfactorial cause for not matching, but I just wanted to get some opinions. This is kind of frightening for a pre-pod that is about to matriculate this fall.
Failing boards is a sure fire way to not match. You are completely dropped from the match if you do not pass part II.

The thing is, 104 people who PASSED all Board exams and have satisfied all requirements to graduate with a DPM degree and practice do not have residency spots. It really is a disgusting statistic and unless there is some MASSIVE expansion of spots in the next year, I frankly don't see a way out of this mess.

Chances are, there will be 104 people looking to enter next years match, So for this year there were 561 eligible graduates for 519 spots (not counting people who haven't matched in past classes). That still leaves a shortage of 42 spots and unfortunately, with the fiscal climate in DC, I see this continuing to compound onto future classes...the higher ups in the profession really should be ashamed of themselves for letting this 'perfect storm' happen...200k and nothing to show for it is a tragedy

Best of luck to all you guys graduating this year!

There is a preceptorship program that was created where you basically work for a pod while you reapply. It's not very organized though, and I know several people who applied and were not matched with a preceptor. They basically ended up looking for regular jobs on their own.

I see. As disheartening as that is, I suppose it is better than nothing.

The AAPPM preceptorship program matched 16 of the 17 students who participated in their program and then the 2012 match. It single handily increased the re-applicant match rate by 20%. Of course spots were limited but have increased over the last couple years. If you can't get a program then it is your best bet at the moment.

Great job to Dr. Wolf for announcement of 104 position shortage a day before match! He just created more fear and tension among 4th year students who have worked hard to get to this level and have been very optimistic about their future. I like how he blames high board pass rate and Western for this shortage! How about he blame himself a little instead of student intelligence and a school that was opened up 4 years ago and became accredited by people like him without contributing a single residency position to the field? Every year poor students paid $50 membership to APMA to become member of such a weak and useless organization. Him and APMA were well aware of this shortage 4 years ago when they knew about the 2013 graduating class size, yet all that was done was releasing that video couple of months ago. Until this day, not only we have not seen a single new position opening up, but we have also lost many positions.
Dr. Wolf is right; it will be a "perfect storm" when 104 students who have gone through a curriculum way harder than the one he went through decades ago, passed all their classes and boards hopelessly find themselves with no residency position. The "perfect storm" wont hit until all these students talk about how weak this field, organization and the system is with shortage for 20% of graduates which is blamed on their intelligence and a new school that was opened and accredited by the same organization. Not that other health care related fields already took our field as a joke, I wonder how we would look when we have 20% of our eligible graduates seat home for at least a year with a doctorate degree, +200k in debt, not being able to do anything about it and read APMA announcement and watch those videos that he releases.
No matter if I or my friends match or no tomorrow, I will still feel the same about such shortage. It's just a disaster! I feel like podiatry is a scam and everyone is there to take poor students money. This absolutely does not ever happen with MD or DO match and no matter what those students scramble in hundreds of unfilled Family and Internal Medicine specialties. Podiatry could have been a very good profession if people up there would care a little bit and had a good long term plan. It has been said that people who are lazy and not smart will not get a spot; there is absolutely no explanation or support for the fact that 1 out of 5 students that have passed all their classes and boards are lazy and stupid!
I hope to God that something happens, and everyone matches, but we will always remember such a number and shortage, and I wont call this anything but a tragedy in a failed health care field...

The AAPPM preceptorship program matched 16 of the 17 students who participated in their program and then the 2012 match. It single handily increased the re-applicant match rate by 20%. Of course spots were limited but have increased over the last couple years. If you can't get a program then it is your best bet at the moment.

And then what, keep applying? With directors reluctant to take re applicants? Seriously, what the ---do they expect people to do?

and most preceptorships are unpaid. There isn't enough of positions available even for that. Do the powers that be actually care because I haven't heard any real concrete solutions to this.

and no you can't blame Obama for this..something is definitely very wrong ....the last thing this profession needs is almost an entire class size becoming podiatrists with no where to go. Awesome.

And then what, keep applying? With directors reluctant to take re applicants? Seriously, what the ---do they expect people to do?

and most preceptorships are unpaid. There isn't enough of positions available even for that. Do the powers that be actually care because I haven't heard any real concrete solutions to this.

and no you can't blame Obama for this..something is definitely very wrong ....the last thing this profession needs is almost an entire class size becoming podiatrists with no where to go. Awesome.

Agree!

A very sad day, but predictable. It happened in the 80s, 90s, and now 2013. Paying dues, fees, rhetoric, and chest thumping...more of nothing. pay those dues, fees, tuitions, and listen to the masters/famers/"leaders."

The fact is there really is no long term plan in podiatry. Never was. the parity talk, the bloated promises, and just you wait and see's never materialized. All psych ops, manipulation, and lip service to heavily in debt students most of whom hearts were in the right place.

The sad thing is that most students who did the right thing, studied hard, passed the podiatry boards, ticked the boxes, etc...go stiffed. BIG TIME. No residency, means no job, student loans come knocking....who is going to pay these loans? Mom, dad, rich uncle, thought you were a "doctor?"

the project PR 2015?!--creating hastenly set up "preceptorships"--now that's parity or parody? Do MDs/DOs do preceptorships post medical school? Many do not get paid at ACGME rates, preceptors are "free".

Again, it is time for a complete overhaul from top ($440,000+ salaries of career podo politicians) to bottom, and capsize the wrong folks in the wrong positions. For $250,000+ loans, the students deserve far better than hot air, empty promises, keep smiling, keep shining, and polly talk to sheeple.

Enough committees forming sub-committees and sub sections, and parity PR talk. Where's the beef?

The FACTS are 104 students are without a residency--maybe those national foot club members can pay the student's loans since they banged the drum of parity and "wonderful" opportunities in orthopedics.

what's next, another anecdotal video?, stethoscopes around the neck,.or happy statement of nothing?

Last edited:
My main concern is the future of the profession as a whole. I plan to match tomorrow and assuming I do, what next for the profession I dodged a bullet to get into? Is there a chance APMA or CPME will go bankrupt defending itself from 104 rightfully pissed qualified students? Then what? That's around $20 million in totally useless debt their shortsightedness created assuming $200k apiece. This is a big problem and not just in debt, but futures ruined. How many of us had the grades and the MCAT, but went the "better lifestyle" route? Pain: 10/10, Hindsight: 20/20.

How about he blame himself a little instead of student intelligence and a school that was opened up 4 years ago and became accredited by people like him without contributing a single residency position to the field?
He was hired 2 years ago by the AACPM to open up programs. He has done that and should see exponential increase in positions during his 3rd year. The CPME is the accrediting body (nothing to do with Wolf). Western opened up because there was nothing in the CPME bylaws to stop them. Of course, now there is but who would have thought that individuals who cared so much about the profession would open up a school and knowingly contribute to the problem?

Podpod2013 said:
Every year poor students paid $50 membership to APMA to become member of such a weak and useless organization.
You, nor any of your classmates have ever paid a cent to the APMA for the complimentary student membership. In fact, currently, less than 50% of all students are even members of the APMA.

Podpod2013 said:
The "perfect storm" wont hit until all these students talk about how weak this field, organization and the system is with shortage for 20% of graduates which is blamed on their intelligence and a new school that was opened and accredited by the same organization.
The final match rate for the class of 2013 will be around 89%. The lowest it's been for quite some time, but still not much different than MD's 93.7% (over 1,000 have to re-enter the match the following year). Your 20% number is not even close.

Podpod2013 said:
This absolutely does not ever happen with MD or DO match and no matter what those students scramble in hundreds of unfilled Family and Internal Medicine specialties
Then you do not understand how their match system works. They too have students who have no other options than to sit out a year.

Podpod2013 said:
and I wont call this anything but a tragedy
Nor should you. But the rest of your highly inaccurate post contributes nothing. I guess at least you ended on the one thing I would agree with...

Traum said:
$440,000+ salaries of career podo politicians
Always good to see traum get it on it. Which position are you referring to? The APMA president doesn't get paid that much. Can't imagine any other "podo political" group with more money that would pay their leadership more $

Last edited:
He was hired 2 years ago by the AACPM to open up programs. He has done that and should see exponential increase in positions during his 3rd year. The CPME is the accrediting body (nothing to do with Wolf). Western opened up because there was nothing in the CPME bylaws to stop them. Of course, now there is but who would have thought that individuals who cared so much about the profession would open up a school and knowingly contribute to the problem?

You, nor any of your classmates have ever paid a cent to the APMA for the complimentary student membership. In fact, currently, less than 50% of all students are even members of the APMA.

[QUOTEPodpod2013] The "perfect storm" wont hit until all these students talk about how weak this field, organization and the system is with shortage for 20% of graduates which is blamed on their intelligence and a new school that was opened and accredited by the same organization.
The final match rate for the class of 2013 will be around 89%. The lowest it's been for quite some time, but still not much different than MD's 93.7% (over 1,000 have to re-enter the match the following year). Your 20% number is not even close.

Then you do not understand how their match system works. They too have students who have no other options than to sit out a year.

Nor should you. But the rest of your highly inaccurate post contributes nothing. I guess at least you ended on the one thing I would agree with...

Always good to see traum get it on it. Which position are you referring to? The APMA president doesn't get paid that much. Can't imagine any other "podo political" group with more money that would pay their leadership more $[/QUOTE]

I wont believe anything in podiatry anymore until I see, hard to believe that the increase in number of position will ever satisfy the number pf eligible applicants....
It's so sad that CPME did not take that into consideration four years ago when they wanted to open that school; you expect more from bunch of doctors seating up there including proper planning and predictions. At certain point all those students that attended Western were told that they are guaranteed residency, so it should be interesting to see their match result! Not to mention that they lost about half of their class size! Also they got accredited fully couple of months ago. It would be nice if CPME or APMA would put some pressure on them to help out with the process and create some programs.
104/620 is 17%... MDs and DOs have way much more opportunities than DPMs; maybe you should take a look at their 2013 match statistics and see number of unfilled positions. If someone seats out for a year, its because they want some competitive specialty, but there has always been room for IM and Family Medicine; in addition they also accpet foreign students, so go figure...
Me and all my classmates paid $50 every year for APMSA membership so please...

104/620 is 17%...

Me and all my classmates paid $50 every year for APMSA membership so please...

104 will not be from the class of 2013 (which I made very clear in the rate I stated). It is simply disingenuous to include all 620/104 when all previous applicants have not only gotten a shot at programs, but a majority of them have gotten that chance in years where there were empty seats. Meaning programs would rather take nobody than those individuals who are re-applying. This is the first year where there will not be enough seats for the graduating class.

Is it APMA or APMSA? They are two completely different organizations. I would recommend figuring out what it is you're trying to say before posting. Your points may be valid but they have come across as misinformed with the errors.

Students at my school get free membership to APMA while they are in school. Not sure if its like that everywhere else...