Match Day 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There's the also the possibility that one of these 4.0 students arrogantly only ranked a couple programs, believing that they had a guaranteed spot.

This is not necessarily true. It is like playing cards, If you have a great hand, you don't mind throwing a lot of money in the pot. I only ranked 4 programs. I was eliminated from a few programs before interviews, so I knew I had no chance there. Of all the rest I visited, I only could see myself at 4. I basically said I would rather scramble than go to program X. I knew what I was getting at program X and I didn't like it. I knew I would be fine in the scramble since good programs scramble and I was a very attractive...at least on paper. So I took the chance.
Risky, sure.
But it was a chance I was willing to take. I understand not everybody can do this, but I felt I could. In the end, I ended up getting the program I wanted and everything turned out great.

Members don't see this ad.

This is not necessarily true. It is like playing cards, If you have a great hand, you don't mind throwing a lot of money in the pot. I only ranked 4 programs. I was eliminated from a few programs before interviews, so I knew I had no chance there. Of all the rest I visited, I only could see myself at 4. I basically said I would rather scramble than go to program X. I knew what I was getting at program X and I didn't like it. I knew I would be fine in the scramble since good programs scramble and I was a very attractive...at least on paper. So I took the chance.
Risky, sure.
But it was a chance I was willing to take. I understand not everybody can do this, but I felt I could. In the end, I ended up getting the program I wanted and everything turned out great.

Every single person on these boards is dying from your secrecy regarding what program you got.... Lol

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.aacpm.org/html/statistics/PDFs/MatrStats/11-12_Total_Enroll_CLASS.pdf

How reliable is this data? (+/- attrition) If it is reliable, 2015 will be in for a serious pinch.

Class of 2015: 672
Class of 2014: 605
Class of 2013: 604

Here's to hoping AACPM is wrong about class sizes...then again, are they ever right?:naughty:

Interesting. Apparently I can't do math. That list is matriculant data though. Lots of schools have lost students by the time 4th year comes around.

West penn x2
DMC x2
UPMC
Dekalb
West Houston
Jewish Cincy x2
University of Cincy
PSL Denver

Those are some of the bigger names and places me and my friends are going. I think DMU has scrambled 6 or 7 students but I dont really know the status of them right now.

Bigger names? Eh maybe some of them. Dekalb, Cincy, and West Houston are highly debatable.

Bigger names? Eh maybe some of them. Dekalb, Cincy, and West Houston are highly debatable.

Well, DeKalb is what it is, whether it is still as good as the reputation or not I don't know. Cincy I have heard some really good things, but West Houston honestly I don't know much about it. Hasn't really come up in conversation with my classmates when talking about TX programs, lots of other good ones in the state though from what I hear.

Well, DeKalb is what it is, whether it is still as good as the reputation or not I don't know.

The training at DeKalb is still stellar, the 3rd years are some of the best surgeons I've seen among any residents. Drs Ruch and Banks still are very busy and active in the program. It's more of the atmosphere that turns students away -to much micromanaging, among other things. It wasn't for me.

Scholl officially scrambled 27 spots, and some of them are pretty bright, hard-working students. Not quite sure what happened.

For Barry class of 2013

7 students remain unmatched :( out of 52

NY Methodist
Beth Israel deaconess
Westchester x 4
Mercy hospital x 3
Southeast Michigan
Bethesda
Jackson north x 2
Florida hospital east Orlando x 2
Northwest
Larkin x 2
Heritage valley beaver
Washington hospital
Dva miami x 2
Hoboken
Bridgeport hospital
Palmetto x 3
Kaiser San Francisco Bay Area
Dva so Arizona
Jackson south
Dva puget sound
Dva Tampa
Dva Dayton
UPMC x 3
JFK
Mt Sinai -miami x 2
South miami
Memorial regional
Kendall regional
University of Texas
St Vincent's

As of last night, I was told only 6 have programs locked up.

I'm a student that is currently scrambling. I have 2 friends that have also scrambled. One of them is a 4.0 student, the other has a 3.5 GPA and I'm at a 2.7. It's not just the lower end of the classes that are scrambling, which makes it very difficult for us at the lower end to find a spot. I think most places are looking at mostly GPA when they are trying to fill a spot. With 4.0 and 3.5 students scrambling competition is stiff.

Members don't see this ad :)
As of last night, I was told only 6 have programs locked up.

can anyone list top 5 NY residency programs, preferably in NYC for me? I was always curious as to what the "big name" programs are within the 5 boroughs. thx in advance.

We have 104 in our class, and 98% passed part II, so id assume 102ish were eligible for match

I certainly think that is part of the problem. I know a few who only ranked 3-5 places for various reasons (some only got 3-5 interviews). Others did poor GPA wise but did excellent on clerkships and interviews, which surprised me when they scrambled. Others I feel may have just "slipped through the cracks" so to speak, and were just plain unlucky. Overall, at least have of those people really do deserve spots based on their grades and work ethic. Its a real shame.

Scholl officially scrambled 27 spots, and some of them are pretty bright, hard-working students. Not quite sure what happened.

Considering that they are estimating that anywhere from 53 - 75 class of 2013 grads will not get a spot, that is a huge number from Scholl!!

I would also like to know what happened??

Agreed. The number is gigantic, I was really surprised, and still am as plenty of my friends are struggling to find spots. Our school hasn't told us anything, if I find out any info i'll pass it along.

This has nothing to do with not ranking enough programs. You can only visit so many programs, and you can only realistically interview at so many programs. If you dont have a chance at those or they fill up fast then you are oit of luck. Being ranked number 4 at 4 places taking 3 means you are out of luck

Probably somewhere around 6-12. Depends on you personally as an applicant. Those that are solid and know it do less.

Apply to 15. You'll get 12-14 interviews. A program will close. You'll decide you don't want to go to one or two. You end up with maybe 8 solid places. Two don't give you callbacks. One you decide you hate. You end up ranking 5. Or 4. Everyone I know cancelled at least one interview while in Texas.

Its best to start with 15 I say, that way when you rank 5, you have a good idea of whats going on.

If you designate 5, and get 4 interviews, and get 2 callbacks at programs that take one resident...well thats tough.

Any students have information on CSPM?

PM me with any questions.

***Oops. I don't know anything about the match. I was reading the pre-pod forum and responded to this on accident. I got an email from admin and they told me they had a few people scrambling but didn't give any specific numbers.

Last edited:
Congrats to all that matched and those that will eventually match. Haven't looked at this site in ages and am surprised to see so many familiar names four years later.

For those of you that didn't match this year: the AAPPM has information on preceptorships at http://www.AAPPM.org/pmp

Check it out and hang in there. Keep working hard and everything will work out in the end.

Last edited:
Congrats to all that matched and those that will eventually match. Haven't looked at this site in ages and am surprised to see so many familiar names four years later.

For those of you that didn't match this year: the AAPPM has information on preceptorships at http://www.AAPPM.org/pmp

Check it out and hang in there. Keep working hard and everything will work out in the end.

Dave, hope you keep on coming back. We could use some of your insight on here:)

I agree with above bolded.

What do you think is a realistic number of programs to interview at during CRIPs and not go crazy?

I interviewed at 20 programs only because I was a reapplicant. Many of the programs had 1-2 spots, some had 3 so I figured to give myself the best chance, I would need to interview at as many as possible. I didn't cancel any, couldn't afford to. I had 3-4 interviews a day and was at CRIPs the entire week.

I knew that the odds were TREMENDOUS working against me this cycle. So I had to do everything that I could to help myself.

I also did the AAPPM preceptorship this past year as well. I did match to a program this year and consider myself damn lucky that I did. I do understand and definitely sympathize with those that are in the scramble. It's a very stressful and emotional rollercoaster that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Last edited:
I interviewed at 20 programs only because I was a reapplicant. Many of the programs had 1-2 spots, some had 3 so I figured to give myself the best chance, I would need to interview at as many as possible. I didn't cancel any, couldn't afford to. I had 3-4 interviews a day and was at CRIPs the entire week.

I knew that the odds were TREMENDOUS working against me this cycle. So I had to do everything that I could to help myself.

I also did the AAPPM preceptorship this past year as well. I did match to a program this year and consider myself damn lucky that I did. I do understand and definitely sympathize with those that are in the scramble. It's a very stressful and emotional rollercoaster that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Congratulations! :thumbup:

Here is a partial match list for Scholl (by word of mouth)

scripps
Swedish
Legacy Portland
John Peter smith x2
Intermountain Utah
Oklahoma
Hennepin
Gunderson lutheran
Wheaton Franciscan
St Joseph Indiana x2
Grant
St Vincent charity
Jewish Louisville ky
St John hospital
Oakwood
Crozer
Hahnemann
Community medical center x2
Inova x3
Carilion
Washington hospital
Memorial hospital Rhode island
Christiana care

At least one spot at every IL program

DMU

West penn x2
DMC x2
UPMC
Dekalb
West Houston
Jewish Cincy x2
University of Cincy
PSL Denver

Those are some of the bigger names and places me and my friends are going. I think DMU has scrambled 6 or 7 students but I dont really know the status of them right now.

Was browsing SDN today in between the 25 patients I treated start to finish with no attending input/help (yes, if you work hard and know how to do quality work many attendings will naturally begin to allow you to operate all on your own) and got to wondering: where did you end up?

My bets as an avid gambler (that's another story) are on either PSL or West Penn. Solid programs and love people that are motivated. Don't answer too fast - we should take a poll and see if we can guess!!

Residents need to keep something important in mind. They might think a student is not "awesome" but often the student may think the program is terrible. Most schools make you pick your months far in advance and don't allow you to switch them. If you're at a program you hate after day 1/week 1 and you know you're never going there it's hard to give 100%, fake a smile, agree with everyone, go through all the BS, etc etc. Something to keep in mind when you become a resident.

Residents need to keep something important in mind. They might think a student is not "awesome" but often the student may think the program is terrible. Most schools make you pick your months far in advance and don't allow you to switch them. If you're at a program you hate after day 1/week 1 and you know you're never going there it's hard to give 100%, fake a smile, agree with everyone, go through all the BS, etc etc. Something to keep in mind when you become a resident.

So are you saying you give up when you don't like something? That's pathetic. I gave 100% at every program even when I was not interested and even after I had a pretty good idea of where I was heading. Your lackluster approach to externships says a lot about the type of work ethic you have. My advice is to work hard on every externship. The profession is small and it never helps to burn a bridge you might want later.

Was browsing SDN today in between the 25 patients I treated start to finish with no attending input/help (yes, if you work hard and know how to do quality work many attendings will naturally begin to allow you to operate all on your own) and got to wondering: where did you end up?

My bets as an avid gambler (that's another story) are on either PSL or West Penn. Solid programs and love people that are motivated. Don't answer too fast - we should take a poll and see if we can guess!!

My guess is Airbud is heading to DMC or PSL. Isn't he from the west somewhere?

Airbud Match Guess-off
PSL: 2
West Penn: 1
DMC: 1

A list that big needs odds. Those programs are not all equal. I'd be willing to take a loss of 10/1 on some of those places.

Nah. One of the cincy programs. Pretty sure I won't be able to sleep until I find out.

So are you saying you give up when you don't like something? That's pathetic. I gave 100% at every program even when I was not interested and even after I had a pretty good idea of where I was heading. Your lackluster approach to externships says a lot about the type of work ethic you have. My advice is to work hard on every externship. The profession is small and it never helps to burn a bridge you might want later.

I never said anything about giving up or not giving 100%. There's a big difference between that and not being happy somewhere. I'm just making the point that sometimes students are miserable at some programs. Even if they give 100% it will still show through, even if just in the slightest ways. Your ill advised comments on others work ethic and throwing the word pathetic around shows a lot about you. I do agree that it's important to give 100% all the time. I'm just bringing up that sometimes students are unhappy at programs and its something residents should keep in mind.

Last edited:
Airbud Match Guess-off
PSL: 2
West Penn: 1
DMC: 1

A list that big needs odds. Those programs are not all equal. I'd be willing to take a loss of 10/1 on some of those places.

Reminds me a lot of the PI guys from the little time I've spent on the boards. Put me down for Dekalb.

NYCPM Class of 2013

100% match rate
100% pass rate Boards part 2:thumbup:

NYCPM Class of 2013

100% match rate
100% pass rate Boards part 2:thumbup:

Is the 68/72 prescramble correct? If so I assume 4 scrambled in. Very nice. Just want to check...how many students did NYCPM start out with in the class of 2013? I was under the impression they took 100-109 students each year. Did they lose a significant amount along the way?

Thanks.

Is the 68/72 prescramble correct? If so I assume 4 scrambled in. Very nice. Just want to check...how many students did NYCPM start out with in the class of 2013? I was under the impression they took 100-109 students each year. Did they lose a significant amount along the way?

Thanks.
Yes this is correct. I believe started with around 100.

Anyone know how Temple did? And how about the 27 scramblers from Scholl?

We were told 25 on match day, although that isn't much better. At least 6 have secured spots as of now. Some may do a masters program that rfums is offering so that they can continue deferrment an reapply next year. Others are holding out for programs that might open up in the next few weeks.

The Masters in Health Administration (MHA)? Or is this a new masters program they are openining up for these students?

If I didn't secure residency training the last thing I would want to do is spend more money on another degree...just sayin.

No, I completely agree.

I'm not sure what type of degree they are offering, but I heard that the students would have four clerkship months (I'm assuming these would be before interviews). Who knows if any program would take them though...

WOW a tailored program for these students? I thought students who didn't match weren't allowed to do clerkships all over again. I guess not.

Match numbers for Scholl came in Wednesday and they already have a comprehensive 1 year plan including clerkships set up for the students that didn't match? Seems suspect to me...

AB, you go to Scholl - is SDN the only place you've heard of this program other than the school rumor mill? Or have you heard it from school administration too?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile