This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClandestineDime

Crentist
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took my first Math Destroyer practice test and got 15/40 problems correct. Of the 15 I got correct, a couple I guessed on. With that being said, I've been going through the ones I missed and guessed on so that I can understand how to do each problem. This has taken me forever and I still have a lot to study today... I just don't see how I am going to be able to review every problem I get wrong in Math destroyer and still have time to study other things.
Has anyone felt this way? If so, how did you remedy this?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm what type of content review did you do before it? Did you have a decent(ish) math background already?

For me, I DID NOT time myself for these exams, and just went at my own pace taking however long it took to finish each question. If I didn't know how to do one, I just said fukit and skipped it.

This way, the reviewing of the exams didn't take that long because I tried to go through each questions (and the associated concepts) as thoroughly as possible the first time.

Reactions: 1 user
Each test in that book seems to stress different topics. Some I did great on and some I bombed. I think you should just break it down topic by topic to see what you need to improve on. Chad has some pretty good QR videos that may help. Some of the problems in Math Destroyer are a bit overkill compared to the real thing but if you understand these you will be ready for anything! Good luck!

My last math class was two years ago and I just got done with Chad's QR section videos and quizzes.

I definitely could have taken longer on the first go around of the practice test.

So did you go through your notes and cheat sheets as you went through the test the first time?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm what type of content review did you do before it? Did you have a decent(ish) math background already?

For me, I DID NOT time myself for these exams, and just went at my own pace taking however long it took to finish each question. If I didn't know how to do one, I just said fukit and skipped it.

This way, the reviewing of the exams didn't take that long because I tried to go through each questions (and the associated concepts) as thoroughly as possible the first time.

My last math class was two years ago and I just got done with Chad's QR section videos and quizzes.

I definitely could have taken longer on the first go around of the practice test.

So did you go through your notes and cheat sheets as you went through the test the first time?

When I did the math destroyer I believe I had some notes with me and my computer. I tried not to use them, and tried to really think through things and logic it out. However, if it was something like a stupid formula that I forgot that was preventing me from attempting the question, I would google/use notes and wouldn't penalize myself or anything. Doing the math destroyer with notes isn't bad (in my opinion) AS LONG as after using the notes, you really understand that question

For bootcamp tests I went strict on myself for no notes and strict timing.

Yeah those are difficult. I'd say start with the BootCamp ones (if you have BootCamp). I would not time the first few tests on MATH Destroyer for now and focus on learning how to do each question instead.

Keep at it even if it takes a long time right now. As you do more and more of the tests, you'll become familiar with the types of problems that will reappear in later destroyer tests as well as the real DAT. I'm definitely not trying to argue with anyone that posted before, but to me the bootcamp math sections were way too difficult. I was getting 16's on them and for the last month of studying before my DAT I stopped doing them all together (loved everything else from bootcamp though). I focused on the destroyer tests and they were spot on to the real thing. Hope this helps a little. Good luck!

It will be like that. keep working on it daily and your speed should pick up within a week. around Test 6 or 7, you will see improvement in your pace, if you have been dilligently studying. By Test 10, you should finish most of it and get mostly correct but you may still not finish the whole section. It happens, even Ari wrote how it took him time. Key is to quickly realize what you can do and skipping what you don't.

Watch chad's math videos!

I left math studying until the end of my DAT prep. I spent the first two months only studying the sciences and the last 3 weeks I left to focus hard on math and PAT. This way, I was just reviewing and perfecting all my science knowledge so it didn't feel like math was eating into my precious time. I just used math destroyer, never timed myself. Your speed will increase naturally as you get more comfortable with the material. Go through and do as many questions as you can, then try to answer the ones you got wrong with your notes before looking at the answers. I actually wrote out the solutions and how I arrived at that answer on a separate sheet of paper so I could remind myself how I tackled that problem. Practice going through and doing all the easier questions first. You'll get to where you glance at a problem and you're like nope, this will take an eternity to solve. . . Next question! Make flash cards of formulas or tricks you need to remember and refer to them often. I didn't mess with the boot camp QR either, in my opinion destroyer prepared me well for the real thing. Best of luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile