MCPHS (Worcester) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ddaanngg, when did you submit ur application last yr?

I'm not sure about this year, but last year they were still interviewing for quite a while. I had my interview scheduled in the beginning of March and they still had plenty of spots open. I'm a current P1 so just shoot me a PM if anyone has a question about the program/whatever. GL

Members don't see this ad.

how reliable is your friend? I still would take my chances, you never know...but I understand if MCP is not your #1 choice

my friend is in his second year at mcp worchester so it was 2 fall cycles ago but even still mcp is not my first choice school so im not too concerned, why take up interview space for someone who really wants to go there when I plan to possibly attend one of the schools ive been accepted too pending another schools response...

Submitted my application thru pharmcas on Nov 15. Pharmcas said they will probably complete my gpa calculation in 5 weeks, which will be about next week. Just wanted some feekback from people who's already attending MCPHS Worcester or got accepted recently what my chances are of getting an interview based on my accolades.

Undergra (biology) cum gpa - 3.3
Science gpa - 3.2
Grad (Neuroscience) gpa - 3.6
Biomedical research experience 1 year
Clinical research experience 1 year and counting.
100+ hours of community service.
4 rec letters (1 M.D., 1 pastor, 1 pharmacist, 1 professor) Not sure if this matters...

Any legitimate feedback will be appriciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted last year about two weeks before the deadline with similar GPA stats to jpromeo (minus the grad part). I'm sure your grad experience will make you stand out and you should have no problem getting in.

I'll share my experiences on MCPHS and Worcester later because I got finals to take care of :eek:

I submitted last year about two weeks before the deadline with similar GPA stats to jpromeo (minus the grad part). I'm sure your grad experience will make you stand out and you should have no problem getting in.

I'll share my experiences on MCPHS and Worcester later because I got finals to take care of :eek:

I would def love to hear more about your application/interview process as well as your experience so far at MCPHS. :)

I'm from Portland, OR so moving here was definitely a different exp.

The interview process at MCPHS is pretty relaxing IMO and the faculty/staff were really nice. You'll get a writing sample prompt, interview, and a quick tour of the campus. The writing prompts were just hypothetical situations and there's really no right or wrong answer. Just make sure you write coherently and support your arguments. The interview really felt like a casual conversation between the interviewer (faculty) and I. You can check the interview feedback section as it pretty much covers all the general question. The tour was pretty short as the campus isn't very large (3 buildings) and I was done with the whole process in under 2.5 hours.

If you're flying in, I recommend flying to Boston and taking the commuter rail ($7.75, takes about 1.5 hours) or the bus ($10, 1 hour) which will put you about 10 minutes walking time from school; it's really close. Between cabs and train fare, my round trip cost was about $25 (airfare was another story...)

Distance education and overall facilities are pretty top notch. Most of the faculty teach from Worcester, and the classes taught via distance won't even make a difference in lecture/learning process. My only complaints were the sizes of the library and computer labs (very small compared to undergrad). However, Worcester has plenty of other colleges that you can bum off of and use for study areas if you don't like to study at home (Clark University and UMASS are popular study spots)

As for living, the school just bought a hotel and renovated it housing (they're flush with money!) but it doesn't have a personal kitchen or even a shared floor kitchen to cook. The dorms on campus are pretty nice and it comes with a kitchen and varies from 1 person studios to 6 person suitemates. I myself chose to live off campus (with another student) at Skymark "Luxury" Apt's that's close to school and I'd rather not live here if I could do it over. Worcester is an old city, so if you're looking for nicer apt's, you'll have to live further out.

A note about mine and many other apartments: the city provides section 8 housing to many people so if you would rather avoid living with less desirable segments of the population, then I would make sure you do your due diligence thoroughly check out your potential places or consider dorm housing to surround yourself with students instead. Rent is okay (~550) and I have hard wood floors and floor moulding, but that doesn't really make up for the fact that the police raided a room not too long ago for drugs and that there are drug deals/vagrants two blocks south of where I am :eek:. Make of that what you will..

The school curriculum and faculty can be intense depending on what you were use to in undergrad. I'm use to shorter quarter systems with a lighter credit load. It's doable, but I had to change my study habits a lot to do well. 7 classes and 18 exams (not including finals) for your first semester. Some weeks were a breeze while others were buried in books. There are some great teachers and some poor teachers IMO, but nothing hard work couldn't overcome. The class size at worcester is ~250 and it feels like we're in high school sometimes. Our class was very clique/group orientated and there was minor class drama at some points. That being said, I made great friends which definitely makes the time go by easier.

There's some things I would change about the school and the city in general, but as long as you surround yourself with good people, you'll be fine. :thumbup:

Much of the above description of the interview process, campus (4 buildings technically, small library, small computer labs, bumming off neighboring colleges for study space since there's hardly any at the actual campus, "high school"... not sure about drama though), and some of the housing stuff (even section 8 fairly close to the campus) also applies to MCPHS Boston in case someone's wondering about MCPHS's two PharmD programs (Curriculum of course is 3-year accelerated in Worcester vs. the usual 4 years in Boston.)

(Actually, I would bet $100 you would NEVER hear any student at MCP-W openly express before lecture a desire to make a living working 2 days/week as a RPh.)

This is grt detail oriented view of mcphs......I must say u need to go for tour for interviwees

The interview process at MCPHS is pretty relaxing IMO and the faculty/staff were really nice. You'll get a writing sample prompt, interview, and a quick tour of the campus. The writing prompts were just hypothetical situations and there's really no right or wrong answer. Just make sure you write coherently and support your arguments. The interview really felt like a casual conversation between the interviewer (faculty) and I. You can check the interview feedback section as it pretty much covers all the general question. The tour was pretty short as the campus isn't very large (3 buildings) and I was done with the whole process in under 2.5 hours.

If you're flying in, I recommend flying to Boston and taking the commuter rail ($7.75, takes about 1.5 hours) or the bus ($10, 1 hour) which will put you about 10 minutes walking time from school; it's really close. Between cabs and train fare, my round trip cost was about $25 (airfare was another story...)

Distance education and overall facilities are pretty top notch. Most of the faculty teach from Worcester, and the classes taught via distance won't even make a difference in lecture/learning process. My only complaints were the sizes of the library and computer labs (very small compared to undergrad). However, Worcester has plenty of other colleges that you can bum off of and use for study areas if you don't like to study at home (Clark University and UMASS are popular study spots)

As for living, the school just bought a hotel and renovated it housing (they're flush with money!) but it doesn't have a personal kitchen or even a shared floor kitchen to cook. The dorms on campus are pretty nice and it comes with a kitchen and varies from 1 person studios to 6 person suitemates. I myself chose to live off campus (with another student) at Skymark "Luxury" Apt's that's close to school and I'd rather not live here if I could do it over. Worcester is an old city, so if you're looking for nicer apt's, you'll have to live further out.

A note about mine and many other apartments: the city provides section 8 housing to many people so if you would rather avoid living with less desirable segments of the population, then I would make sure you do your due diligence thoroughly check out your potential places or consider dorm housing to surround yourself with students instead. Rent is okay (~550) and I have hard wood floors and floor moulding, but that doesn't really make up for the fact that the police raided a room not too long ago for drugs and that there are drug deals/vagrants two blocks south of where I am :eek:. Make of that what you will..

The school curriculum and faculty can be intense depending on what you were use to in undergrad. I'm use to shorter quarter systems with a lighter credit load. It's doable, but I had to change my study habits a lot to do well. 7 classes and 18 exams (not including finals) for your first semester. Some weeks were a breeze while others were buried in books. There are some great teachers and some poor teachers IMO, but nothing hard work couldn't overcome. The class size at worcester is ~250 and it feels like we're in high school sometimes. Our class was very clique/group orientated and there was minor class drama at some points. That being said, I made great friends which definitely makes the time go by easier.

There's some things I would change about the school and the city in general, but as long as you surround yourself with good people, you'll be fine. :thumbup:

Thanks for your response. This helps alot. Hopefully pharmcas will finish calculating my gpa and will hear from Worcester soon.

Just received finished gpa from phmarcas and there is almost a .3 difference in my actual gpa and pharmcas gpa! (pharmcas gpa being lower) and .5 difference in my grad gpa... not sure how this is going to effect my chances. :(

Pharmcas said that it is because they include all my re-take classes whereas my undergrad school excluded from gpa. Abit upset about this.

So, what's the min. GPA for MCPHS? If you meet the requirements I would not be too concern...good luck!

Just received finished gpa from phmarcas and there is almost a .3 difference in my actual gpa and pharmcas gpa! (pharmcas gpa being lower) and .5 difference in my grad gpa... not sure how this is going to effect my chances. :(

Pharmcas said that it is because they include all my re-take classes whereas my undergrad school excluded from gpa. Abit upset about this.

MCP calculates your GPA themselves as far as I know. When you get your interview invite or a letter from them attached is a spreadsheet with all their pre-reqs and the grades. I think MCP uses the replacement grade and just makes note of the other "attempts".

To them all that matters is your final grades in the pre-req classes. As for PharmCAS, that's the way they calculate it so there's really no way around it if your hoping to get in other schools who solely rely on the info PharmCAS gives them.

Hope this helps!

MCPHS website doesn't list the minimum gpa but according to the pharmcas schools info, MCPHS Worcester minimum gpa is 2.7.

My gpa is above that but the way pharmcas calculates it, i feel cheated! haha

So, what's the min. GPA for MCPHS? If you meet the requirements I would not be too concern...good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
So did you send in your transcripts separately to MCPHS? otherwise how would they know what you wrote on your attached spreadsheet is legit?
I called pharmcas to find out and they said they're not sending my transcripts to the schools. I'm confused! haha :confused:

MCP calculates your GPA themselves as far as I know. When you get your interview invite or a letter from them attached is a spreadsheet with all their pre-reqs and the grades. I think MCP uses the replacement grade and just makes note of the other "attempts".

To them all that matters is your final grades in the pre-req classes. As for PharmCAS, that's the way they calculate it so there's really no way around it if your hoping to get in other schools who solely rely on the info PharmCAS gives them.

Hope this helps!

Dont worry, if u have 3.00 gpa then u should be fine but need to have experience n volunteer work.......plz update here whenever u get mail for interview....

Hi, everyone. I just registered to this forum site. I have a question. Do u guys know what topics of writing samples will be at the interview?

Dont worry, if u have 3.00 gpa then u should be fine but need to have experience n volunteer work.......plz update here whenever u get mail for interview....

I do not have any experience in retail pharmacy. My work before was mainly in biomedical research involving genetic mutations and now I do clinical reserach involving bipolar disorder and interactions with different drugs. As far as volunteer work, I have years of volunteering at church and hospitals.

If, IF, I get a letter for an interview, fingers crossed :D, I will definitely update to let everyone know whta's going on.

I do not have any experience in retail pharmacy. My work before was mainly in biomedical research involving genetic mutations and now I do clinical reserach involving bipolar disorder and interactions with different drugs. As far as volunteer work, I have years of volunteering at church and hospitals.

If, IF, I get a letter for an interview, fingers crossed :D, I will definitely update to let everyone know whta's going on.

I think you have a great shot! I didn't have any work experience in pharmacy, but tons of volunteer work and leadership experience and I got an early interview and was accepted. Definitely keeping my fingers crossed for you :) I would have shared my experience too but ddaanngg covered most of it haha.

For the current students (or those in the Worcester area that may know this), is it very hard to find an interning position in a hospital? Although I work in CVS and could intern there, I would prefer to work in a hospital upon graduation of pharmacy school. By the time the Fall comes, I will have approximately 12 months of hospital pharmacy experience (5 months volunteering, 8 months employed [starting Jan]). I specifically ask about interning and not volunteering, because I NEED to work and that will help kill two birds with one stone.

I plan on calling hospitals in the area in a couple of months, but I was just looking for some insight now.

Also, do you apply for your intern license right before school starts or right at the beginning? I know in MA you can intern in your first professional year at pharmacy school. However, I don't know the specifics, as I am coming from NY.

That was very insightful. As I have heard from many people, the accelerated program might not be for everybody. All the best in your finals.

I was just accepted to MCPHS-Worcester due to start Fall 2011, anyone else? Who's planning to live in the dorms/housing that they have?

I was just accepted to MCPHS-Worcester due to start Fall 2011, anyone else? Who's planning to live in the dorms/housing that they have?

I am! Are you planning to live in one of the dorms connected to the school, or one of the dorms from the renovated hotel?

Do interviewer knows about our background, grades, extra acitvies, volunteering etc or file n resume is ther with them during interview.........

Do interviewer knows about our background, grades, extra acitvies, volunteering etc or file n resume is ther with them during interview.........

My interviewer had a folder with a bunch of papers in it, she had access to my PharmCAS which has the extracurriculars you filled in, so be prepared to elaborate on those just in case, as well as grades, etc.

For the current students (or those in the Worcester area that may know this), is it very hard to find an interning position in a hospital? Although I work in CVS and could intern there, I would prefer to work in a hospital upon graduation of pharmacy school. By the time the Fall comes, I will have approximately 12 months of hospital pharmacy experience (5 months volunteering, 8 months employed [starting Jan]). I specifically ask about interning and not volunteering, because I NEED to work and that will help kill two birds with one stone.

I plan on calling hospitals in the area in a couple of months, but I was just looking for some insight now.

Also, do you apply for your intern license right before school starts or right at the beginning? I know in MA you can intern in your first professional year at pharmacy school. However, I don't know the specifics, as I am coming from NY.

You can apply for your license once school starts and orientation day will set you up with all the information you need. However, he school will have to sign off that you're a matriculated student so you won't be able to submit your intern application until the final add/drop date (couple weeks into the semester, i forget the exact date).

For its size, Worcester has a lot of hospitals in the area but I haven't met any students that were interning (for work) at a hospital outside of school rotations. Definitely call and ask though - Saint Vincent is a couple blocks from school and UMASS hospitals are everywhere. I'm sure since you have experience, you'll have a better chance than the rest of us (most of us have retail, about 20% have hospital).

I am! Are you planning to live in one of the dorms connected to the school, or one of the dorms from the renovated hotel?

I'm thinking of the dorms because it has a kitchen and the hotel doesn't even have a meal plan or anything so you're basically stuck eating out all the time. Have you submitted your reply to them with the housing sheet and deposits?

Last edited:
My interviewer had a folder with a bunch of papers in it, she had access to my PharmCAS which has the extracurriculars you filled in, so be prepared to elaborate on those just in case, as well as grades, etc.

thanks for the information.

Can you please tell me what kind of questions she asked you?

WHat you find wierd in interview process??

Did she ask you anything related to volunteering or work experience?

thanks for the information.

Can you please tell me what kind of questions she asked you?

WHat you find wierd in interview process??

Did she ask you anything related to volunteering or work experience?

You get asked the typical, why mcphs, why pharmacy, check interview feedback, its very accurate. Nothing was weird, everything was very casual, nothing formal, the interview turns into a conversation right away, and volunteering...I don't think they specifically asked you, but I talked about it during mine, like i used it as an example to support what I was saying, hope that helps :)

Last edited:
@dang, thanks!

@faith, Yea I did. For me, the price was kinda a deal breaker. Price of 1 person room = Price of 6 person suite. Plus, the extent of my cooking on an actual stove is eggs, so thats not too much of an issue for me :laugh:. But regardless, the hotel supposedly does serve substantial meals for around $5, which isn't too bad. However, I did put the suite as my backup option, but since I submitted it so early it shouldn't be an issue.

@dang, thanks!

@faith, Yea I did. For me, the price was kinda a deal breaker. Price of 1 person room = Price of 6 person suite. Plus, the extent of my cooking on an actual stove is eggs, so thats not too much of an issue for me :laugh:. But regardless, the hotel supposedly does serve substantial meals for around $5, which isn't too bad. However, I did put the suite as my backup option, but since I submitted it so early it shouldn't be an issue.

So did you apply to live at the "hotel"? Do you know how much that costs? Is 600-700ish a month (price of dorms) considered expensive for worcester downtown area? The hotel serves meals as in breakfast lunch and dinner? When you say you put the suite as backup, do you mean that you paid a $250 deposit for the dorms? (ie the 6person dorm).

So did you apply to live at the "hotel"? Do you know how much that costs? Is 600-700ish a month (price of dorms) considered expensive for worcester downtown area? The hotel serves meals as in breakfast lunch and dinner? When you say you put the suite as backup, do you mean that you paid a $250 deposit for the dorms? (ie the 6person dorm).

- They sent me a housing deposit form where you list your preferences. I believe it came with the acceptance letter. So technically I guess you could say I "applied" to live there lol

- It is approximately the same cost as the 6 person suite. I believe that is 7500 a year.

- I have no clue. I'm not from the area. Finding apartments is always cheaper than going into school housing though. Maybe after the first year I'll do this.

- Yes.

- Yes. Both the locations are under the deposit form.

Anyone submitted fall grades to pharmcas?

Any news for JAN interview from mcphs, worchester??????

You get asked the typical, why mcphs, why pharmacy, check interview feedback, its very accurate. Nothing was weird, everything was very casual, nothing formal, the interview turns into a conversation right away, and volunteering...I don't think they specifically asked you, but I talked about it during mine, like i used it as an example to support what I was saying, hope that helps :)

You are done with all the pre-reqs???? As, I am reading these post and got the idea that whomsoever have fall grades remaining got HOLD status......is tht true????? If it is then everybody get interview mail.......

You are done with all the pre-reqs???? As, I am reading these post and got the idea that whomsoever have fall grades remaining got HOLD status......is tht true????? If it is then everybody get interview mail.......

No, there's people that have been accepted that don't graduate until 2011 that had several pre-reqs in progress in the fall and some in the spring as well. It is treated on a case by case basis. I had 3 pre-reqs remaining and I was put on hold for fall grades. I sent the grades in and I received an interview invitation. Hope this answers your question.

xsc614 is right. I was accepted and I wont be graduating until 2011 before the new class for worcester starts and I haven't finished all the pre-reqs either. Good luck! :D:)

xsc614 is right. I was accepted and I wont be graduating until 2011 before the new class for worcester starts and I haven't finished all the pre-reqs either. Good luck! :D:)
thanks.....when u applied n got interview call?

No, there's people that have been accepted that don't graduate until 2011 that had several pre-reqs in progress in the fall and some in the spring as well. It is treated on a case by case basis. I had 3 pre-reqs remaining and I was put on hold for fall grades. I sent the grades in and I received an interview invitation. Hope this answers your question.

thanks....so i believe it is first come first chance....

Interviewed 12/16 and just got my acceptance letter today! Very fast. I am so happy and relieved. Good luck to those of you on hold for fall grades/just applying/with interviews coming up!

Interviewed 12/16 and just got my acceptance letter today! Very fast. I am so happy and relieved. Good luck to those of you on hold for fall grades/just applying/with interviews coming up!
congrats..and hope to see u in the Fall!

hey. i also interviewed on dec 16. congrats on ur admission... btw wat state do u live in.. i wanna know so i can know how long the mail system takes... thanks

congrts

hey. i also interviewed on dec 16. congrats on ur admission... btw wat state do u live in.. i wanna know so i can know how long the mail system takes... thanks

I live in Mass. The letter was dated Dec 20, so it got here in 1 day. Good luck!

hey will u actually be attending?? i live in mass too and hope to meet all u guys soon

Yeah, it was my first choice so I will be sending in my deposit soon. Probably going to commute to school, not sure yet.

Yeah, it was my first choice so I will be sending in my deposit soon. Probably going to commute to school, not sure yet.
Oh ok, we in the same boat i guess..i live like 10mins from the campus!

Got my acceptance letter today to worcester!!! officially class of 2011:love::D

lol...my mistake :)

i'll be seeing u in the fall! :D if u dun graduate too fast, haha jk ;)
does anybody know if theres a facebook group for the new class of 2014? If not, maybe we should create one :D:laugh: