MCW vs OUWB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCW vs OUWB

• MCW

Votes: 26 57.8%
  • OUWB

Votes: 19 42.2%

• Total voters

newmember9876

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would really appreciate some feedback since I have to make a decision soon!

OUWB
Higher COA

Pros:
+Small Class size (125 students)
+P/F/H grading system
+Supportive environment with tons of diversity
+Loved the campus, facilities & the vibe ( I feel I'd be really happy here)
+Beaumont Health System
+OOS student, but could see myself doing residency in MI

Cons:
-Hospital is a 15-20 minute drive away from campus (commuter school, bad for winters)
-?Mandatory classes 8-5 (I see this as both a PRO and a CON. I feel going to class would give me structure, but I also like to study independently)
-Newer school

MCW
Lower COA

Pros:
+Established school
+Hospital close to school (great for winters, plus will save transportation cost)
+Tons of research opportunities
+Facilities were impressive
+Lower living expenses

Cons:
-Large class-size 200+ students (found it a bit overwhelming)
- 5 point grading system H, HP, P, LP, F (not a huge deal)
-FIT was off for some reason (but students looked happy)

I am conflicted. I feel the sensible choice is MCW (considering lower COA + more established program), but I liked OUWB. Currently, I have no idea what I want to specialize in, but if I end up wanting to get into a competitive residency, would a new school hold me back? Thank you all for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Go where you will be happy as that is where you will be successful, as well. Both have pros/cons, but sounds like you like OUWB. Oh also Beaumont is pretty impressive and small class size is a plus, but there is the structured curriculum.

Reactions: 1 user
Go where you will be happy as that is where you will be successful, as well. Both have pros/cons, but sounds like you like OUWB. Oh also Beaumont is pretty impressive and small class size is a plus, but there is the structured curriculum.
^I agree... I think fit is extremely important, as you'll be most successful where you're happy, and it sounds like you're pretty excited about Beaumont. Go where your heart is (and this is from a student at MCW who loves going to MCW). Congrats on your acceptances!

Members don't see this ad :)
^I agree... I think fit is extremely important, as you'll be most successful where you're happy, and it sounds like you're pretty excited about Beaumont. Go where your heart is (and this is from a student at MCW who loves going to MCW). Congrats on your acceptances!
Thank you! I have a quick question for you... How do you feel about the larger class size at MCW (i.e, your personal pros and cons)?

Those voting for MCW could you please share why you think I should I go that route? I would really appreciate that!

Thank you! I have a quick question for you... How do you feel about the larger class size at MCW (i.e, your personal pros and cons)?

I really like the large class size, but of course I came from a big ten undergrad so I was used to big classes. The nice thing about our class is that I really like and would hang out with ~95% of my classmates, so while its a big group its a good group in my experience.

@mcworbust Thank you for your response! I thought MCW was a great school and feel I should have attended second look day to get a better idea. The people I met on interview day however, were all super friendly! I know I can be happy there as well.

On another note, the poll is pretty much split. I would really appreciate some more feedback. April 30th is so close!

Honestly both are fine choices. Can't really go wrong. But OUWB has more of a true P/F system. Neither will hold you back whatever your interests are.

@L. Beethoven thank you for such a detailed response! I appreciate it!

Anyone else want to chime in last minute for me? Thanksssssss! Plus POLL is open again.