2022-2023 Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i think at second look admissions said there is somewhat of a break between M2 and M3 but it's not that long??

i think at second look admissions said there is somewhat of a break between M2 and M3 but it's not that long??
Yeah theres not much of a break but thats pretty standard for just about every school

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
howd you know academic enrichment is a summer project? it doesnt mention that in the pdf and i thought at second look day they said research isnt required (could be wrong about that tho)
It’s called academic enrichment bc most students use that time to do research. I spoke to a current M2 and M3 about it yesterday. Many people do the research bc they get paid and and if you want honors in research you have to do it. There are varying lengths you can do though. If it was really just a break they would have called it break like they do in the pdf for other periods of time, is my thought process.

Last edited:
Not according to the PDF. You go from hospital clerkship, get two spiral weeks in end of April then surgical clerkship from May to end of July.

It’s called academic enrichment bc most students use that time to do research. I spoke to a current M2 and M3 about it yesterday. Many people do the research bc they get paid and and if you want honors in research you have to do it. There are varying lengths you can do though. If it was really just a break they would have called it break like they do in the pdf for other periods of time, is my thought process.
just emailed them, they said. it’s a summer but we still have the Good Doctor course. they also said “For the “summer” during their first year, that expectation will be lower/they might not need to be on campus at all between 5/27/24 and 8/2/24 but that will depend on their progress through Phase 1 and if they are doing a Pathways or Summer Research project.
Curriculum advises that students not plan time off until they start in July and have a full understanding of their calendars/commitments.”

just emailed them, they said. it’s a summer but we still have the Good Doctor course. they also said “For the “summer” during their first year, that expectation will be lower/they might not need to be on campus at all between 5/27/24 and 8/2/24 but that will depend on their progress through Phase 1 and if they are doing a Pathways or Summer Research project.
Curriculum advises that students not plan time off until they start in July and have a full understanding of their calendars/commitments.”
everything seems a bit chaotic lol

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if the exams in this new curriculum will be NBME or in house?
They’re USLME “style based” questions for exams from what I’ve heard this is the same as the current curriculum. M3 year for clinical rotations they do NBMEs for shelf exams.

This makes sense my friend did summer research but it was all remote where as some people had to come into a lab 5 days a week. At least you can pick what you do to set your summer up how you’d like.

This makes sense my friend did summer research but it was all remote where as some people had to come into a lab 5 days a week. At least you can pick what you do to set your summer up how you’d like.
Do you know if people are able to do summer research from outside of Milwaukee, like another city/state?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know if people are able to do summer research from outside of Milwaukee, like another city/state?
you can have it be entirely remote but that depends on your preceptor and the project. My friend that was remote did his while he was traveling europe lol

Has anyone else still not received their financial aid yet? When did they say this would roll out?

Has anyone else still not received their financial aid yet? When did they say this would roll out?
I haven’t received it either. I filled out the form for their financial aid on their website and some it included a consideration for grants and other loans. I wonder if they actually give out good grant packages? If not I might withdraw

I haven’t received it either. I filled out the form for their financial aid on their website and some it included a consideration for grants and other loans. I wonder if they actually give out good grant packages? If not I might withdraw
wait we have to fill out a form?? i thought only send our credit report

I called the aid office and the person I talked to really tempered expectations on expecting a substantial award for need or merit

I see someone mentioned concerns regarding Step I and II preparation. From the interview , second look, they seemed confident in how I prepare. But I am seeing concerns here which in turn has made me concerned as out of the schools i've been accepted to this is most likely the one Im going to. So that being said, is this school not gonna set me up for success in regards to the step I and II exam? I felt reassured by them during second look but seeing some of the concerns on here makes me wonder.

I see someone mentioned concerns regarding Step I and II preparation. From the interview , second look, they seemed confident in how I prepare. But I am seeing concerns here which in turn has made me concerned as out of the schools i've been accepted to this is most likely the one Im going to. So that being said, is this school not gonna set me up for success in regards to the step I and II exam? I felt reassured by them during second look but seeing some of the concerns on here makes me wonder.
Take everything you see here with a grain of salt. This place has been putting people in competitive residencies for a while. No one will be able to fault you for going to MCW

MCW is a great school! Sure MCW might have some more issues bc they are doing a new curriculum and going here means you’re signing up to take that on, but that would be the case for any school going through a curriculum change. Personally I would try to find an M3 or M2 to talk to about their experiences surrounding step. I can only speak on the experiences of the people I know, they felt unprepared by MCW bc the courses are not based around step 1 and they teach many extra things so students had to balance making sure they are preparing for step 1 on their own AND studying for the schools exams. MCW knows that they do this I asked about it on interview day and they said that’s why they have a dedicated period to study for step but from the students I spoke with that month isn’t enough time and people were preparing on their own months before that.

MCW is a great school! Sure MCW might have some more issues bc they are doing a new curriculum and going here means you’re signing up to take that on, but that would be the case for any school going through a curriculum change. Personally I would try to find an M3 or M2 to talk to about their experiences surrounding step. I can only speak on the experiences of the people I know, they felt unprepared by MCW bc the courses are not based around step 1 and they teach many extra things so students had to balance making sure they are preparing for step 1 on their own AND studying for the schools exams. MCW knows that they do this I asked about it on interview day and they said that’s why they have a dedicated period to study for step but from the students I spoke with that month isn’t enough time and people were preparing on their own months before that.
For those who might know, part of the new curriculum involves phasing out some of the extraneous for more direct step material though correct?

For those who might know, part of the new curriculum involves phasing out some of the extraneous for more direct step material though correct?
It does but they also said that their courses aren’t focused around step 1 so it’s still the same issue just probably not as bad

Withdrew my A to the Milwaukee campus this morning. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

Reactions: 3 users
Withdrew my A to Milwaukee campus as well, (MSTP), good luck for those on WL!

Withdrew my A to the Green Bay campus this morning. Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Really having a hard time choosing between this school and osu. MCW has a higher out of state tuition and osu takes oos as residents after first year so I’ll save 25k after med a school. Anyone that has made their decision I would appreciate if you can tell me why you picked mcw ?

Just withdrew my A this morning to the Milwaukee campus. Wishing everyone the best!

Really having a hard time choosing between this school and osu. MCW has a higher out of state tuition and osu takes oos as residents after first year so I’ll save 25k after med a school. Anyone that has made their decision I would appreciate if you can tell me why you picked mcw ?
Are you a resident of either state? if not, I think it would come down to proximity to your fam and where you think you'd thrive. I don't think 25k of debt is a big enough number to sway a decision tbh. good luck!

Are you a resident of either state? if not, I think it would come down to proximity to your fam and where you think you'd thrive. I don't think 25k of debt is a big enough number to sway a decision tbh. good luck!
I think he meant 25k a year, so 75 k over the three years

Last edited:
I made that exact choice yesterday. Chose MCW over OSU/Vermont/Illinois/SLU (out of state for all)

Ultimately the students I met at MCW really impressed me. All were super chill and had a lot of time to pursue outside interests and just being normal people. Having the bar set at 65% pass was big perk. New curriculum also has a chance of being P/F all 4 years (they're still deciding).

Also MCW's match list is very impressive and research is abundant, so I didn't feel like I was settling on my ambition when I selected the more laid back school. That said it was a tough choice for me as well, Ohio is a great school and holds more name recognition to most lay people.

Definitely surprised myself, going into the process I never would have thought I'd pick MCW over those schools, but the more digging I did the more I found things I liked. Best of luck in your choice!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I made that exact choice yesterday. Chose MCW over OSU/Vermont/Illinois/SLU (out of state for all)

Ultimately the students I met at MCW really impressed me. All were super chill and had a lot of time to pursue outside interests and just being normal people. Having the bar set at 65% pass was big perk. New curriculum also has a chance of being P/F all 4 years (they're still deciding).

Also MCW's match list is very impressive and research is abundant, so I didn't feel like I was settling on my ambition when I selected the more laid back school. That said it was a tough choice for me as well, Ohio is a great school and holds more name recognition to most lay people.

Definitely surprised myself, going into the process I never would have thought I'd pick MCW over those schools, but the more digging I did the more I found things I liked. Best of luck in your choice!
this was really helpful for me as well as I’m also choosing btwn MCW and other schools (including SLU). I agree with all your pros which is why the decision is really hard for me (plus I have family in MKE and Madison like @neuropticpremed1999 mentioned) my biggest worry rn with MCW is the Step 1 exam. we only get 4 weeks dedicated and the school has a history of not focusing on step material. what are your thoughts? i know during second look day they said they will be making a change but it seemed like a slight not, not a big one

also, if you’re still deciding. try emailing the schools and asking for an extension. that’s what i did

this was really helpful for me as well as I’m also choosing btwn MCW and other schools (including SLU). I agree with all your pros which is why the decision is really hard for me (plus I have family in MKE and Madison like @neuropticpremed1999 mentioned) my biggest worry rn with MCW is the Step 1 exam. we only get 4 weeks dedicated and the school has a history of not focusing on step material. what are your thoughts? i know during second look day they said they will be making a change but it seemed like a slight not, not a big one
I'm not particularly worried. If Step 1 was still scored it'd be a huge concern for me, but seeing as it is pass fail it shouldn't be bad at all- as there is no incentive to keep grinding past "comfortable with the material level" to achieve that sky high score. Pass years MCW had a good average step 1 score too so their materials seems to prepare students well enough.

I liked the emphasis on clinicals and step 2 that the new curriculum offers, since that is rising in importance

• Care
I'm not particularly worried. If Step 1 was still scored it'd be a huge concern for me, but seeing as it is pass fail it shouldn't be bad at all- as there is no incentive to keep grinding past "comfortable with the material level" to achieve that sky high score. Pass years MCW had a good average step 1 score too so their materials seems to prepare students well enough.

I liked the emphasis on clinicals and step 2 that the new curriculum offers, since that is rising in importance
thanks so much for your input!! Also to those still deciding, another pro I found was how good their advising is. I spoke to two students about MCW’s advising and one said she was able to go thru each question on a test and get help and the other said the advising was so good she got them a gift after matching.

So this is actually a common misconception to have- MCW had this exact mindset (so did many schools) when it became P/F and many students suffered because of it. Seriously ask any M3 at mcw and they’ll tell you this.

Historically before it was P/F students started studying in their M1 year or very beginning of M2. So well over 6 months in advance of the exam.

So with context: P/F wouldn’t be “that bad” because historically people were studying months to a year in advance. So would this mean because its P/F students only need a month? No, this is not the case at all. Not to mention the passing threshold increased when it became P/F. in reality having only 4 weeks in a non-step focused curriculum means you have to start studying on your own much earlier to pass. Sure not as early as when it was scored but still 100000% need more than 1 month.

Every like student also purchases First Aid, uWorld, practice exams etc. to prepare for step, not school materials.
Happy to pass a long the contact info of some students I know if you want to talk to them more. everyone I’ve spoke to said if they could go back they’d start studying a lot earlier.

However, If this is your only concern seems like MCW is still the right choice for you!

Last edited:
So this is actually a common misconception to have- MCW had this exact mindset (so did many schools) when it became P/F and many students suffered because of it. Seriously ask any M3 at mcw and they’ll tell you this.

Historically before it was P/F students started studying in their M1 year or very beginning of M2. So well over 6 months in advance of the exam.

So with context: P/F wouldn’t be “that bad” because historically people were studying months to a year in advance. So would this mean because its P/F students only need a month? No, this is not the case at all. Not to mention the passing threshold increased when it became P/F. in reality having only 4 weeks in a non-step focused curriculum means you have to start studying on your own much earlier to pass. Sure not as early as when it was scored but still 100000% need more than 1 month.

Every like student also purchases First Aid, uWorld, practice exams etc. to prepare for step, not school materials.

Happy to pass a long the contact info of some students I know if you want to talk to them more. everyone I’ve spoke to said if they could go back they’d start studying a lot earlier.

However, If this is your only concern seems like MCW is still the right choice for you!
Well to be fair, I did not talk to students at any school that didn't purchase outside materials like first aid, uworld, etc. That seems like a pretty universal experience
But yes I assumed, that I, along with most students, would begin studying before the 1 month of designated time. That is the time to lock in the test taking ability and patch any gaps, not to begin studying.

I just was saying, I dont think having 1 month of study time vs 6/8 weeks at another school is a big downside for me, but I totally get what you're saying.

Last edited:

emphasizing but also editing this. M4s told M3s not to worry since they were the first class taking it P/F, and as a result most didn't study as much and more people failed. The current M3s told the current M2s to study their asses off during the summer and throughout M2 year, and now pretty much everyone I talk to is having to move their test date UP because theyre more prepared earlier than expected. So take that as you will. Bottom line is since MCW is pass/fail at 70% for the new curriculum, you have the ability to just study STEP materials and pass your classes (minus immunology, that class SUCKS), and if you try to retain some info from M1, review a bit during the summer, and then study for STEP alongside M2 classes you should be more than good with 4 weeks of dedicated. Now that is just the current schedule and yours will be different, but I highly recommend just using the AnKing deck and NOT SUSPENDING YOUR CARDS AFTER EXAMS (seriously, it will pay off in the end). Just do your reviews each day. Review a bit more during summer, and then dive into STEP material alongside M2 materials.

Overall, STEP2 is going to be more important for residencies, so just focus on retaining the basics for STEP1 so you can hit the ground running for clinicals and STEP2.

Reactions: 2 users
Just withdrew my A from the MKE campus! Hope it goes to one of you, good luck everyone!

I really wanted to go here but I didn’t get the financial support I needed. I received a scholarship from OSU today without requesting it. Even with that scholarship I was willing to still go to MCW if they at least offered me a waiver for oos tuition however they were unwilling to work with me. Hard pill to swallow. Anyways I withdrew my acceptance at Milwaukee. Good luck y’all

I really wanted to go here but I didn’t get the financial support I needed. I received a scholarship from OSU today without requesting it. Even with that scholarship I was willing to still go to MCW if they at least offered me a waiver for oos tuition however they were unwilling to work with me. Hard pill to swallow. Anyways I withdrew my acceptance at Milwaukee. Good luck y’all
wait they sent out financial aid packages?

wait they sent out financial aid packages?
No they didn’t. But I was so tired of waiting I emailed admissions and financial aid. They told me that all grants and scholarships have been awarded and that I shouldn’t expect and grants or scholarship

No they didn’t. But I was so tired of waiting I emailed admissions and financial aid. They told me that all grants and scholarships have been awarded and that I shouldn’t expect and grants or scholarship
oh wow.. damn lol well congrats on ur decision!! i know that’s a huge weight off ur shoulders

Anyone know if there’s been any WL movement yet at any of the campuses?

Last year's waitlist movement didn't start until June, so I'm guessing it's gonna be the same or like mid-May as the WL email said.
Would have assumed it’s earlier this year due to them starting school a month early this year but guess not !