2022-2023 Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how much of their class is filled up?
I’m wondering the same. The FB group only has like 160 people (the previous years have like 500) of course there are people accepted who haven’t joined the group but I’m choosing to look at this like they’ll be a lot of WL movement !

Reactions: 1 users
I’m wondering the same. The FB group only has like 160 people (the previous years have like 500) of course there are people accepted who haven’t joined the group but I’m choosing to look at this like they’ll be a lot of WL movement !
the previous fb groups have like 500 because med students from other years eventually join it to post about student org things, housing, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Dang no pre-II R can they just send it already

Reactions: 5 users
Withdrew my acceptance from the MKE campus. This interview was probably one of my favorites and I felt they emphasized a lot of cool student resources. Best of luck to anyone waiting to hear back for this campus especially! For what it's worth, I didn't know about the fb group/never joined it and I imagine there were other admitted students in the same boat so I wouldn't scrutinize those pages too hard.

Reactions: 8 users
I just withdrew my acceptance from the MKE campus. I hope this position goes to one of you!! It is a truly amazing school, and I think that anyone with the opportunity to go will love it as well!

Reactions: 3 users
Outgoing M4 here who matched IM. Now that I’m done, I felt like I should put out this warning. All I can say is think VERY carefully about your decision to come to MCW. If you have the option to go elsewhere, go elsewhere. Just being honest. Most students match IM, and I am blessed to have matched at a really prestigious place, but I give very little credit to MCW and it really was in spite of the admin. Are there some gems here, like all places yes. But by and large the turmoil that I , and others I imagine went through through these last 4 years….no words.

Wish you all the best of luck regardless. We have a good match rate, so odds are you’ll get where you want to, you just have to ask yourself at what cost.

Outgoing M4 here who matched IM. Now that I’m done, I felt like I should put out this warning. All I can say is think VERY carefully about your decision to come to MCW. If you have the option to go elsewhere, go elsewhere. Just being honest. Most students match IM, and I am blessed to have matched at a really prestigious place, but I give very little credit to MCW and it really was in spite of the admin. Are there some gems here, like all places yes. But by and large the turmoil that I , and others I imagine went through through these last 4 years….no words.

Wish you all the best of luck regardless. We have a good match rate, so odds are you’ll get where you want to, you just have to ask yourself at what cost.
What are the warts of MCW?

are you willing to provide more context?

so a single student out of hundreds in the class is sharing that they had a bad experience at MCW yet isn't willing to provide ANY context whatsoever? grain of salt

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Another M4 here addressing an earlier message today. Could my fellow classmate please expand on their point a bit? No school is without fault, and since my class went through COVID in med school we definitely had a rough go of it for a while. But that being said, I wouldn't go so far as to tell people to avoid MCW. Sure plenty of people match IM, but we have a lot of competitive matches as well. Also, there's nothing wrong with IM? Why are you criticizing your own specialty? The admins can be very frustrating, but the overall environment is so much better and healthier than other places I toured and rotated at. Now there are plenty of issues that I'm very open about discussing, but none of which are isolated just to MCW and also do not impact our overall development into well-educated physicians.

TLDR; to all prospective applicants and students, find a current student and ask them what issues they have with MCW and you'll get a comprehensive and reasonable list. But don't be scared away by an unconfirmed M4 that won't extrapolate on their complaints. Take things you see online with a grain of salt.

Reactions: 8 users
Another M4 here addressing an earlier message today. Could my fellow classmate please expand on their point a bit? No school is without fault, and since my class went through COVID in med school we definitely had a rough go of it for a while. But that being said, I wouldn't go so far as to tell people to avoid MCW. Sure plenty of people match IM, but we have a lot of competitive matches as well. Also, there's nothing wrong with IM? Why are you criticizing your own specialty? The admins can be very frustrating, but the overall environment is so much better and healthier than other places I toured and rotated at. Now there are plenty of issues that I'm very open about discussing, but none of which are isolated just to MCW and also do not impact our overall development into well-educated physicians.

TLDR; to all prospective applicants and students, find a current student and ask them what issues they have with MCW and you'll get a comprehensive and reasonable list. But don't be scared away by an unconfirmed M4 that won't extrapolate on their complaints. Take things you see online with a grain of salt.
Could you please elaborate the frustrations with the admin?

Has anyone who interviewed on the 30 or 31st heard anything yet?
nothing yet, I'm guessing that pre-II Rs went out today so we will hear soon, but they did say anytime up until the afternoon of the 12th

Could you please elaborate the frustrations with the admin?
Yes, I elaborated more in your DM but I'll post here as well. Basically, admin is admin is admin. Everyone has had experiences either in retail, customer service, undergrad, grad school, etc where the administration has just been annoying. Most people are lovely, but whether it be in individual classes, scheduling, pathways, general school, etc there can be times where frustrations arise. Nothing too notable, but when you're overloaded by school stimuli during preclinical years or trying to tread water during 3rd year rotations, issues seem bigger than they are. But these things are far from isolated, and I'm willing to bet every cent I've already paid to MCW that you'll find the same frustrations at nearly all med schools in the country.

nothing yet, I'm guessing that pre-II Rs went out today so we will hear soon, but they did say anytime up until the afternoon of the 12th
I swear the wait is worse when you know approximately when you can expect to hear back (vs not knowing if you'll hear back tomorrow or in two months)

A this morning as well! Interviewed 3/31 and sent an update letter right after my interview.

• Love

Yes, I elaborated more in your DM but I'll post here as well. Basically, admin is admin is admin. Everyone has had experiences either in retail, customer service, undergrad, grad school, etc where the administration has just been annoying. Most people are lovely, but whether it be in individual classes, scheduling, pathways, general school, etc there can be times where frustrations arise. Nothing too notable, but when you're overloaded by school stimuli during preclinical years or trying to tread water during 3rd year rotations, issues seem bigger than they are. But these things are far from isolated, and I'm willing to bet every cent I've already paid to MCW that you'll find the same frustrations at nearly all med schools in the country.
I sent you a dm as well if you wouldn’t mind responding.

Waitlist this morning, interviewed 3/30. Anyone know how well the WL moves? Haha

Hey, just got the A this Friday. I know that its already been posted I'm sure but can't seem to find it. Would someone be able to post the discord or facebook group link? Thanks so much :)

Anyone have takes on the new curriculum? I’m pretty excited about 18 mo pre clinical seems like good change ahead!

Got the A on friday. Debating on what to do as MCW is fairly comparable to my other acceptances. MCW seems like a solid school but they seem average at best for surgical subspecialities and I don't like the fact I'd be the first to be on the new curriculum which will assuredly have some kinks to iron out.

Last edited:
Got the A on friday. Debating on what to do as MCW is fairly comparable to my other acceptances. MCW seems like a solid school but they seem average at best for surgical subspecialities and I don't like the fact I'd be the first to be on the new curriculum which will assuredly have some kinks to iron out.
I think the new curriculum is something that we’ll just never know about until it actually happens. If you have some other acceptances and felt like you fit well into their culture, I would honestly choose one of those! Go with your gut and the school that doesn’t give you any doubts.

I think the new curriculum is something that we’ll just never know about until it actually happens. If you have some other acceptances and felt like you fit well into their culture, I would honestly choose one of those! Go with your gut and the school that doesn’t give you any doubts.
Yeah I totally feel that. Really liked MCW on interview day and have heard nothing but good things from students/alumni.

Sitting at 4 As and right now there is nothing that really makes any stand out imo. Prestige, money, match lists etc all seem to be fairly comparable so its hard to separate

As for the curriculum change, from what I've read I think it'll be great in the long haul- just ideally I wouldn't be the first to do so haha

Hey! If there is a facebook or discord or something for accepted students can you send it here or PM me pls :)

Here is the 2027 Class facebook. There's a lot of info on there and also a spreadsheet link or roommates.

Withdrew my A. Good luck to everyone still waiting to here back :)

Reactions: 2 users
Can any current students speak on the diversity of the patient population - specifically at the Milwaukee campus?

Also, any one receive any merit based aid yet? Someone from the financial aid office told me they think they’ve started sending some out already

Also, any one receive any merit based aid yet? Someone from the financial aid office told me they think they’ve started sending some out already
I thought I read they wait until May 1st? I could totally be wrong though

I thought I read they wait until May 1st? I could totally be wrong though
Just based on my experience growing up in WI and my basic knowledge of demographics in the Milwaukee area, the patient population is going to be predominantly white and African American, with a sprinkle of SE Asian, Hispanic, and other races.

Just based on my experience growing up in WI and my basic knowledge of demographics in the Milwaukee area, the patient population is going to be predominantly white and African American, with a sprinkle of SE Asian, Hispanic, and other races.
Gotcha. Thanks

Looked into the new curriculuM a bit more. Summer of M1 to M2 year is academic enrichment aka summer research project and then there’s no summer break from M2 to M3. Is this how most schools do it now? Yes there are spiral weeks but they can’t really be used as vacations as there seems to be a decent amount of manadatory things going on during those weeks.

This past year M2s used summer before M3 to prepare for Step 1 or took it early in April/May and then had a summer break, now the dedicated period for step 1 is December of M2 year around Christmas and New Years which leaves beginning of January for everyone to try and test before they go right into clinical rotations in end of Jan. Wondering how people feel about this? Bc going into a 3 month hospital clerkship while not having gotten step out of the way yet seems disastrous.

I have friends at mcw who needed more than a month to prepare bc the course exams don’t focus on step material and the school had told them not to worry about step bc it was P/F which messed a lot of people up. For example some didn’t take step until the fall of M3 year and had to change their tracks to accommodate. Others have expressed concerns that things are already not the most organized around clinical rotations sites and with the new curriculum now they’ll be fusion M2s rotating at the same time as the discovery M3s.

I do love that they go right into organ systems and the addition of spiral weeks. But besides step exams, clinical rotation evaluations/shelf exams are the most important part of med school so I worry about the novelty of fusion. Would love to hear others opinions!

Looked into the new curriculuM a bit more. Summer of M1 to M2 year is academic enrichment aka summer research project and then there’s no summer break from M2 to M3. Is this how most schools do it now? Yes there are spiral weeks but they can’t really be used as vacations as there seems to be a decent amount of manadatory things going on during those weeks.

This past year M2s used summer before M3 to prepare for Step 1 or took it early in April/May and then had a summer break, now the dedicated period for step 1 is December of M2 year around Christmas and New Years which leaves beginning of January for everyone to try and test before they go right into clinical rotations in end of Jan. Wondering how people feel about this? Bc going into a 3 month hospital clerkship while not having gotten step out of the way yet seems disastrous.

I have friends at mcw who needed more than a month to prepare bc the course exams don’t focus on step material and the school had told them not to worry about step bc it was P/F which messed a lot of people up. For example some didn’t take step until the fall of M3 year and had to change their tracks to accommodate. Others have expressed concerns that things are already not the most organized around clinical rotations sites and with the new curriculum now they’ll be fusion M2s rotating at the same time as the discovery M3s.

I do love that they go right into organ systems and the addition of spiral weeks. But besides step exams, clinical rotation evaluations/shelf exams are the most important part of med school so I worry about the novelty of fusion. Would love to hear others opinions!
where’d u find this info? bc the pdf they gave us was kinda confusing to read