MCW vs. Penn State vs. SLU vs. Temple (pending)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Bidew97

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm having a hard time deciding which school to attend. I enjoyed my interview days at each school and got a great vibe everywhere. I'm from California and intend on matching back home in NorCal. I don't plan on specializing in some competitive surgical subspecialty, but that could change. Currently have some interest in EM and Anesthesiology. Any input is appreciated!

MCW
Pros:

  • Medical plaza was really nice
  • PD ranking a 3.3 and they get a lot of NIH funding
  • Scholarly pathways
  • there's a basketball scene (so i potentially watch my home team play once a year)
  • They seem to match well and last year 7 people matched back to my hometown University for both competitive specialties and the specialties I'm interested in
  • Cost of living seems cheap
  • They switched to P/F
  • could take my SO to Chicago
Cons:
  • it's cold
Penn State
Pros:

  • The medical plaza was really nice
  • A lot of research opportunities
  • Close enough to Philadelphia and New York for short trips whenever SO comes to visit
  • Low cost of living
  • P/F
  • Also seem to match well
  • Could see some cool cases because people travel to hospital from surrounding areas
Cons:
  • The area is rural
  • would be hard/expensive to get a direct flight whenever I fly home
  • take step 1 after m3(idk if this should be a pro or con but it seems stressful studying for it during m3)

SLU
Pros:

  • New hospital opening before i start rotations
  • P/F
  • also affordable cost of living
  • Match list also shows people matching back to hometown for specialty of interest
  • first school I fell in love with and first acceptance
Cons:
  • a lot of people here said on their interview days the people they interacted with at slu kept comparing themselves to wash u (my interview day was early so i don't remember too much)
  • research opportunities are there but not as easy to get involved with
Temple (waiting for post-II decision)
Pros:

  • love the clinical education here and the patient population they serve
  • The facilities were really nice
  • big sports scene
  • P/F
  • I think its pretty easy to get involved with research?
  • would enjoy living in philly
  • could visit NYC with SO when she visits
Cons:
  • Cost of living the highest out of these schools
Overall I am extremely grateful that I have multiple schools to choose from and can see myself happy at each school. I believe each of these schools would help me match back home which only makes the decision harder
 
Last edited:
I'm from Milwaukee and have a few friends at MCW. They all really enjoy it as a medical school. They're only major annoyance was grading. It's very affordable (~500 per month for an apartment) and nice around campus. Milwaukee is definitely up and coming as a city. From your post, it had the most pros and and least cons. Are the finances significantly different between your options?
 
I'm from Milwaukee and have a few friends at MCW. They all really enjoy it as a medical school. They're only major annoyance was grading. It's very affordable (~500 per month for an apartment) and nice around campus. Milwaukee is definitely up and coming as a city. From your post, it had the most pros and and least cons. Are the finances significantly different between your options?
They're switching to P/F now, not sure if internally ranked tho. Tuition should be similar for all these schools, unless I get a scholarship