This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Piglet2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do merit scholarship decisions come out around the same time as financial aid packages (~Spring)? Can it be combined with need-based grants/FAFSA?

How likely do med schools give merit scholarships anyways? Is it just for top percentile students? I don't think I would get a full scholarship for my in-state school (ORM with school's matriculant median stats), but even a partial scholarship would be nice.

Also, what's with all the posts about bargaining with med schools about scholarships? Is that a common thing for post-med school acceptance? I think it's odd to email a school and say "oh school x offered me $x... will you match it?"

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Do merit scholarship decisions come out around the same time as financial aid packages (~Spring)?
Yes

Can it be combined with need-based grants/FAFSA?
Yes

How likely do med schools give merit scholarships anyways?
Some schools don't give any. Most that give them, give only a handful.

Is it just for top percentile students?
It's often used for recruiting people that will otherwise matriculate elsewhere, but that might not necessarily mean the highest scores/grades. As an ORM with median stats, it's unlikely you're a recruitment target unless something else in your ECs is extraordinary.

Also, what's with all the posts about bargaining with med schools about scholarships? Is that a common thing for post-med school acceptance?
It's much more common on SDN than among premeds overall.

Reactions: 4 users