This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nsw068

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm a student currently at FAU in my junior year, and we have a class called intro to excercise health promotion. The teacher often brings in guest speakers to discuss different career paths one can take the the excercise science and health promotion degree (which I am going for). We recently had a guest speaker who worked in medical sales and he was discussing his work life. He said he worked under ADP doing payroll services and then went to school at 28 got his degree in e.s h.p. And started to work in medical sales. He's done it for three years and seen his salary go from 96k in the beginning -120k last year and expecting the same or more this year. My questions to everyone out there reading this is a desperate call in assessing whether or not I should suck it up, stick to my original path and go to PT school graduate with a nice degree and even nicer debt or out of undergrad school get a year or two in sales experience and then begin doing medical sales and make possibly more than I would have as a PT and without taking on the debt/extra schooling. And also have to worry about getting in to PT school (currently a 3.8 GPA but no shadowing hours). Any feed back is greatly appreciated guys I'm really stuck here!

Members don't see this ad.

No one can tell you what to do with your life except you. Is your passion money? Then go into medical sales. Is your passion helping people rehab? Then go PT. I'd be lying if I said I haven't considered different career paths before I got accepted. But in the end, I figured out what I want to do with my life. I fully pursued PT. And now I start school in the fall. It is up to you to answer your question.

Edit: I just saw that you stated you have no shadowing hours. You should definitely have observation hours to even decide if PT is for you.

Sales is not as easy as it sounds. You will have a quota, and if you don't meet your quota, you're fired.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have any sales experience? To me, sales is a skill you either have or you don't. If you've ever made calls for donations/charity or sold personal training or worked in retail with a sales quota, you should have a good idea about your skill set. If you haven't ever done sales and don't know about your ability, I would be very leery to look at this salary as feasible. A good saleperson can make great money, a terrible salesperson will barely scrape by.

I tell anyone who second guesses PT, that "PT may not be for you". No one can guide you otherwise. Sometimes, it takes another path in life to confirm if PT is truly for you or not. I wish more students would explore other opportunities before making their decision. Maybe this will set back the "education profit seekers" from over saturating our field.

Reactions: 1 user