Medical School chances with low GPA (MD/DO)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Health4lyfe

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I graduated with a degree in Biology with 3.2cGPA and 2.9sGPA. I will be starting a MHA this fall and plan to apply 2020-21 cycle. I haven't taken the MCAT yet but I am planning to take it in the next 2 months (practice Kaplan FLs have averaged around 508). I know that my uGPA is on the lower side but my ECs are the strongest part of my app.

I have: 2000+ hours in research (2 posters), 400 hours clinical volunteering, 200 hours shadowing, 100 hours volunteering in low-income neighborhoods, over 3 years of paid tutoring experiences, 1 year of paid advising experience and one journal publication. I also had leadership positions in a few pre-medical societies on campus and was part of a small violin group at the local community center.

I would like to apply as broadly as possible so that I have a better chance of getting accepted. What schools should I apply to? Any suggestions on how I can improve my application?

Members don't see this ad.

Get your sGPA above a 3.0, and get a 505+ MCAT, then you might have a chance at DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Why are you doing a MHA?
Your GPAs are too low for MD and awfully low for DO. If you can get your sGPA up to 3.2 and you get a decent MCAT score you might have a chance at some DO schools. What are you scoring on your practice exams?

Come back when you have your MCAT score and people will tell you if you should bother applying next cycle or wait a couple of cycles to get your sGPA up. Good luck on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone, I graduated with a degree in Biology with 3.2cGPA and 2.9sGPA. I will be starting a MHA this fall and plan to apply 2020-21 cycle. I haven't taken the MCAT yet but I am planning to take it in the next 2 months (practice Kaplan FLs have averaged around 508). I know that my uGPA is on the lower side but my ECs are the strongest part of my app.

I have: 2000+ hours in research (2 posters), 400 hours clinical volunteering, 200 hours shadowing, 100 hours volunteering in low-income neighborhoods, over 3 years of paid tutoring experiences, 1 year of paid advising experience and one journal publication. I also had leadership positions in a few pre-medical societies on campus and was part of a small violin group at the local community center.

I would like to apply as broadly as possible so that I have a better chance of getting accepted. What schools should I apply to? Any suggestions on how I can improve my application?
Why do you think that you can handle med school with stats like those?

Forget the MHA and read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Your GPA is low, but you're scoring pretty well on the practice MCAT. I'd advise that you just take a year off with postbacc classes and apply then. I think u can handle medical school.

Status
Not open for further replies.