Mediocre GPA Decent DAT What Are My Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kyumin99

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN

I just took my DAT and did pretty well. Unfortunately my GPA/extracurriculars aren't the greatest so I'm still stressing about my application.

Overall GPA: 3.47

Science GPA: 3.33

DAT score : AA: 25/ TS: 24 / QR: 24/ RC: 23/ Bio: 24/ GC: 22/ OC: 30/ PAT: 20

State of Residence: North Carolina

College: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Currently a senior

Major: Biology

Shadowing Experience: 40 hours. I recently decided I wanted to be a dentist but I couldn't get a lot of shadowing experience due to Covid-19

Volunteering Experience: 100+ hours in various clubs and in a hospital

Research: 500+ hours working in a biology lab with and without credit

School list:

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

East Carolina University

Tufts

NYU

Thank you for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I would apply to more schools and awesome DAT score! Aim for a killer personal statement (your journey to switching into dentistry), and you should have a good chance. And schools will understand the shadowing circumstances, but having more dental experiences would make you stand out even more.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi SDN

I just took my DAT and did pretty well. Unfortunately my GPA/extracurriculars aren't the greatest so I'm still stressing about my application.

Shadowing Experience: 40 hours. I recently decided I wanted to be a dentist but I couldn't get a lot of shadowing experience due to Covid-19

School list:

East Carolina University

Tufts

NYU

NYU is exceedingly expensive. I'm applying only because I'd be able to live at home and already have NY health insurance under my parents. With personal savings, I will be able to drop the before-interest cost of attendance to around 350k (My personal threshold). In your case, I would strongly reconsider applying to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi SDN

School list:

East Carolina University

Tufts

NYU

apply to more schools
agree about removing nyu unless you have really good reason...

If you have done your due diligence networking with your two in-state choices, you have a pretty good shot to stay in-state, which is always going to be your best chance. Yes, your shadowing may be just under par, but you need to show you really have a knack for working with others, especially those in vulnerable populations. Your lack of a description means I cannot comment on whether you have covered that base. Metrics are helpful but are not sufficient to get you to an offer.

If you have done your due diligence networking with your two in-state choices, you have a pretty good shot to stay in-state, which is always going to be your best chance.
What do you mean by networking? Can one still network with schools after applying?

What do you mean by networking? Can one still network with schools after applying?
It's harder because you run the risk of being a brown-noser, but it's better than nothing at all. You have to connect with students who really know what goes on.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

We have very similar stats, check my Sig to see where I heard back from.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you all for the advice! As mentioned I plan on applying to more schools I only mentioned the 4 I have done some research on and thought about applying to. Unfortunately it is true my shadowing experience is under par, but I have worked with vulnerable populations just not in terms of dentistry. I plan on increasing my exposure to dentistry once COVID-19 starts to come under control and hopefully things will go well.

It says that anatomy and physiology is required but i thought that A&P is a recommended course
I do believe that A&P is required at UNC. Not all dental schools require it but then again not all dental schools have the exact same prerequisites