Meharry Masters of Health Science Program 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you had the choice between doing this program with the chance of matriculating to Meharry or accepting a DO acceptance which would you choose. I have been gearing up to attend the DO school but just got the email for the application yesterday and I would love the opportunity to attend Meharry
I agree with the others, but if you already have an acceptance, I would go with that. To forego an acceptance for something that is not *technically* a sure thing just seems a little risky IMO. And personally, I'm ready to get my life started lol but that's just my two cents.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey premeds I'm a predent. I interviewed for the DDS program back in January and haven't heard anything yet. Its pretty weird. I haven't been waitlisted or rejected. I also haven't been invited to the MHS program. That leaves me to believe that admissions is considering me for the MHS program. How does it work for y'all? Do you get rejected and then interviewed or do you interview for MD and then considered? Nobody on our side has been invited to MHS yet.

Hey premeds I'm a predent. I interviewed for the DDS program back in January and haven't heard anything yet. Its pretty weird. I haven't been waitlisted or rejected. I also haven't been invited to the MHS program. That leaves me to believe that admissions is considering me for the MHS program. How does it work for y'all? Do you get rejected and then interviewed or do you interview for MD and then considered? Nobody on our side has been invited to MHS yet.
My experience was weird. I never heard anything from them after applying and then got this invite.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well for me,I’m pre med, and i never got interviewed at Meharry. I received a rejection letter and was sent the email for the MHS application immediately after.

I think our interview for MHS is built into the interview for DDS. We had 3600 applications for 62 spots. They interviewed about 120 people but they have about 15-20 reserved seats from MHS from last year. So really there are only like 42 seats available for the DDS class of 2023. Im thinking they those that are left over after interviewing will probably be placed in the MHS program. I know people who interviewed in January like me and still haven't heard of anything.

Ive heard that those in the MHS program that go to dental school the following year are always in the top of their class. They are the ones that match in oral maxillofacial surgery and other competitive specialties in dentistry. Im pretty sure its same for the medical school MHS students.

Reactions: 1 users
From a student who did it last year:

" We took 4 classes each semester. 1st semester: biochemistry, microbiology, cell and molecular biology, and neuroscience
2nd semester: anatomy, pharmacology, pathology, and physiology.
People who didn’t meet the mcat curriculum before the start of the program had to take the Kaplan mcat prep course which started the week after thanksgiving and went to the 2nd week of January. Those of us who needed to retake did so mid January.
I liked the mhs program because it was pretty small (40 of us, 20 med and 20 dent). We learned a lot from our professors and created a tight bond.

9 of us from my class are currently attending meharry (Medical school). 5 others are currently at other institutions (Howard, morehouse, and Texas) and were also accepted into meharry (but chose to go to another Medical school)."

Reactions: 4 users
You know others who did not receive an invite?
Yup i believe the same thing. Cause i know for a fact some people didn’t get an invite , so they must see something in us. With extra hard work we can do it ! I know for me personally it’s my MCAT. I just gotta go harder than ever. This application cycle has broken me but this Meharry invite has given me small hope!

You know others who did not receive an invite?
Well, let me correct myself, maybe not for a fact, but i have a friend who applied before and didn’t receive anything, no word. They may still be considering her but she should have gotten word by now.

Hello everyone! Thank you so much for creating this forum :) I, like most of you, have gotten an invite to the MHS program. I am pre-med. and was rejected from Meharry's MD program after applying this cycle.. I was wondering if anyone knows whether the recommendation letters can be sent via a service that I already have, or whether we have to individually send them to recommenders from the application.. I am not sure how accessible my old professors/ doctor I shadowed will be to resend letters, but I have them all saved on a service like interfolio run by my old undergraduate institution. Thank you very much in advance!

Last edited:
I agree with the others, but if you already have an acceptance, I would go with that. To forego an acceptance for something that is not *technically* a sure thing just seems a little risky IMO. And personally, I'm ready to get my life started lol but that's just my two cents.

I would have to really agree with you on that! Unless you have the money or don't care about getting A LOT more loans, you should really consider the option of DO since u already have an acceptance.. just keep in mind that this program will cost you $40,000 excluding housing.. so in total it will be around $60,000! :(

Again, completely up to you of course! If you feel like you hated the environment of the school you got accepted at, felt uncomfortable there when you interviewed, felt like you would not get the support you will need there, etc.. then of course that is another story! Best of luck to you deciding :)

Hello everyone! Thank you so much for creating this forum :) I, like most of you, have gotten an invite to the MHS program. I am pre-med. and was rejected from Meharry's MD program after applying this cycle.. I was wondering if anyone knows whether the recommendation letters can be sent via a service that I already have, or whether we have to individually send them to recommenders from the application.. I am not sure how accessible my old professors/ doctor I shadowed will be to resend letters, but I have them all saved on a service like interfolio run by my old undergraduate institution. Thank you very much in advance!
+1 on this

I’m a current MHS student. Let me know if you have any questions about the program. I can say that from what I’ve seen so far, all the info that y’all found is correct. The program tuition is almost 40k, and the total estimated cost of attendance is 68k.

I’m a current MHS student. Let me know if you have any questions about the program. I can say that from what I’ve seen so far, all the info that y’all found is correct. The program tuition is almost 40k, and the total estimated cost of attendance is 68k.
Would it be possible to submit LOR using the ones that we used for AMCAS on Interfolio? Or would we need all new ones?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be possible to submit LOR using the ones that we used for AMCAS on Interfolio? Or would we need all new ones?

No, your application for the Medical and Dental schools are what the MHS program use to consider you. If you interviewed for Medical/Dental school already, you do absolutely nothing else for this process except wait to hear if they accepted you into the program or not. If you did not interview, they will invite you to interview specifically for the MHS program.

...unless they changed their process, we did not have to do anythinng special. We did not get letters of recommendation

No, your application for the Medical and Dental schools are what the MHS program use to consider you. If you interviewed for Medical/Dental school already, you do absolutely nothing else for this process except wait to hear if they accepted you into the program or not. If you did not interview, they will invite you to interview specifically for the MHS program.
So you are saying we don't have to resend transcripts only get new letters of recommendation sent in and pay the deposit right?

...unless they changed their process, we did not have to do anythinng special. We did not get letters of recommendation
Ohh okay yes things have changed then. At least for those who did not interview. We have to fill out an application and submit two LORs. But I would just rather not ask my letter writers to write all new letters, especially since who I would ask already submitted letters on AMCAS. But I suppose if there's no alternative :/

Last edited:
Let me just tell you all what my experience was and hopefully that answers your questions

1. Interviewed at the college
2. Got rejected but informed that I was considered for MHS
3. Accepted into MHS (sent no new information, didn’t submit any letters, etc.)
4. Accepted the offer (they didn’t ask for a deposit)
5. Program orientation was early August

I didn’t do anything outside of my application that I submitted to Meharry over the summer before the interview cycles.

Ohh okay yes things have changed then. At least for those who did not interview. We have to fill out an application and submit two LORs. But I would just rather not ask my letter writers all new letters, especially since who I would ask already submitted letters on AMCAS. But I suppose if there's no alternative :/

I’m going to ask my peers to see if they had this experience. Give me a few minutes to see what they say

Let me just tell you all what my experience was and hopefully that answers your questions

I didn’t do anything outside of my application that I submitted to Meharry over the summer before the interview cycles.
Thanks! Because for us who didn't interview after applying we got sent a link to start our application etc. And we for have to get letters of recommendation sent.

Thanks for that information. When did classes officially begin ? And how long were thanksgiving and Christmas’s/ winter break? Did you get acceptance into their med/ dent school ? And over fall do you believe this program was beneficial? Also I’ve heard a lot of pros are there any other cons other than cost of the program ? Thanks again!

So after surveying all 48 of my peers in this MHS class, no one had to do anything extra for their application. The people who did not interview for dental and medical school didn’t have to do anything else for their application either. They said that all of their information was transferred over from their dental/medical applications. So whatever you all must be experiencing now is a new addition and I’m not sure how to go about doing that. I would say give Cal Turner Student Services building a call to see if you can get those questions answered.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah and according to what last year MHS students are saying , the admissions process is totally different. It appears they didn’t even have to apply. We do, they must have more applicants they would like to consider this year.

Yea what’s really throwing me off about thiscwhile application is do I need new letters of rec or letters from the same people? I tried calling and emailing and got no response.

Yea what’s really throwing me off about thiscwhile application is do I need new letters of rec or letters from the same people? I tried calling and emailing and got no response.
It says get LOR from someone who can speak on your personal character. So I'm guessing since they already have all of our AMCAS stuff we want to have a new letter focused on that.

Finally got a response from them.

Attachments

• 99BE2F5F-57AC-4334-868C-7F4371EFC09D.jpeg
    99BE2F5F-57AC-4334-868C-7F4371EFC09D.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 232
Great! Thanks y’all for this info. So now my only concern is... if they’re changing up the process like this, does that mean that they could change the “guaranteed” admission? Since the email does say an expedited interview rather than guaranteed admission. Plus it seems like more people are being considered. Or am I overthinking o_O MHS students from last year what were y’all told?

Great! Thanks y’all for this info. So now my only concern is... if they’re changing up the process like this, does that mean that they could change the “guaranteed” admission? Since the email does say an expedited interview rather than guaranteed admission. Plus it seems like more people are being considered. Or am I overthinking o_O MHS students from last year what were y’all told?
No.. i was thinking the same.. what does it mean that we can us e the recommendations on interfaolio? I just submitted my LOR email addresses, aren’t they suppose to submit the LOR? And where do we submit transcripts? Confused a little.

No.. i was thinking the same.. what does it mean that we can us e the recommendations on interfaolio? I just submitted my LOR email addresses, aren’t they suppose to submit the LOR? And where do we submit transcripts? Confused a little.

So my recommenders just submitted my letter and they used a link that was sent to the from the application portal

Finally got a response from them.

Can confirm that as well! :thumbup: I was able to get a hold of someone on the phone, and she said that u can either send it via a service, or if they are the same ones from the AMCAS cycle, then they can just use those the ones on file from when we applied. Hope this helps! :)

I have another question, what did y’all focus about in your statement of purpose. I understand explaining why we are instresged in a graduate study. But when it ask for plans on professional career or interest in pursuing a health professions education, idk what else to say. I’ve kinda said it all in my AMCAS application. And the secondary. Should i state the same things ?

Okay cool, that’s what i thought would happen.
I might try and do mine a little differently. There’s a way to link your Interfolio letters with a generated email. That’s what I had to do for DO apps and it worked. I might try that way and see what happens instead of getting new letters

Thank you so much for offering your insight, we really appreciate it! :) I have a few questions regarding this program:

1) Can you tell us a bit about how your experience has been in this program? Pros and cons of this program?
2) Do you have advise regarding getting used to the harder work load in this program, as compared to undergraduate level classes? Do you have any idea if most of the students this year are able to obtain that 3.5 GPA requirement, or is it relatively very hard to obtain?
3) Do you guys have regular Monday-Friday lectures, or how does your schedule generally look like?
4) Also, how is the competitiveness of the environment in general between students in the MHS program?
5) Do you feel supported there overall?

Thank you very much in advance! :)

I have another question, what did y’all focus about in your statement of purpose. I understand explaining why we are instresged in a graduate study. But when it ask for plans on professional career or interest in pursuing a health professions education, idk what else to say. I’ve kinda said it all in my AMCAS application. And the secondary. Should i state the same things ?
Statement of purpose?? We need to write one of those? I don’t recall seeing it in the app

Okay cool, that’s what i thought would happen.

Correct.. unless you wanna use the same ones from your AMCAS.. in this case, you would just fill out the two recommender forms but instead of their emails, you would put Meharry's admission email instead so that nothing would get sent to your old recommenders (from what the admissions said during phone call)... Hope that makes sense!

Statement of purpose?? We need to write one of those? I don’t recall seeing it in the app
On the last page before submitting, i didn’t see it at first either because i hadn’t submitted my LOR emails and the application won’t allow you to move on unless you finish the current page.

It is all the way at the end, the section where you submit so you might not have gotten there yet?
Ughhhh no because I haven’t submitted on the letters of rec page. But I’ve said everything that I could say in my PS, secondary essay AND video
2euum1.jpg

url

Last edited:

Ya, I feel the same way.. I am honestly summarizing it, and just letting them know that I am a good fit for the school, and my mission fits theirs! Anyone else?

It is all the way at the end, the section where you submit so you might not have gotten there yet?
Yeah cause in my secondary i already explained why i am interested in Meharry, so i don’t know if i am suppose to use the same info or what ?

Ughhhh no because I haven’t submitted on the letters of rec page. But I’ve said everything that I could say in my PS, secondary essay AND video
giphy.gif
Right!!! Idk what idk what else they want , maybe just to summarize.

Can confirm that as well! :thumbup: I was able to get a hold of someone on the phone, and she said that u can either send it via a service, or if they are the same ones from the AMCAS cycle, then they can just use those the ones on file from when we applied. Hope this helps! :)
So if we want the same ones used from our AMCAS app we just put the recommenders name and then put Meharry's email?

So if we want the same ones used from our AMCAS app we just put the recommenders name and then put Meharry's email?

Yep, that's what I have been told from admissions..She said just put the admissions email, but since they require two different emails in order to submit them both, I just put their admissions email on one of them, and their registrar email on the other!

Yep, that's what I have been told from admissions..She said just put the admissions email, but since they require two different emails in order to submit them both, I just put their admissions email on one of them, and their registrar email on the other!
Thank you!!

So I tried to submit my letters using Interfolio to [email protected] and it said that deliveries cannot be made to this address :bang: is anyone else having this problem?

All submited letting the lord take care of the rest

Status
Not open for further replies.