Meharry Masters of Health Science Program 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats an appropriate word count for this one essay question? Im not sure whats too long or too short.

Members don't see this ad.

Whats an appropriate word count for this one essay question? Im not sure whats too long or too short.
No Idea. I don’t think it matters about word count, as long as you get your point across.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for offering your insight, we really appreciate it! :) I have a few questions regarding this program:

1) Can you tell us a bit about how your experience has been in this program? Pros and cons of this program?
2) Do you have advise regarding getting used to the harder work load in this program, as compared to undergraduate level classes? Do you have any idea if most of the students this year are able to obtain that 3.5 GPA requirement, or is it relatively very hard to obtain?
3) Do you guys have regular Monday-Friday lectures, or how does your schedule generally look like?
4) Also, how is the competitiveness of the environment in general between students in the MHS program?
5) Do you feel supported there overall?

Thank you very much in advance! :)

1. So far, the program has been great! I started off with a lot of questions, just like you all here. But its a very helpful program, especially for people who are non-traditional students and people who can work on getting a stronger GPA or MCAT/DAT score

2. Just work hard. There is no real advice to give. Most people get the GPA that they need. The real issue is getting the MCAT/DAT scores. That’s what really holds people from getting into medical and dental school here.

3. Yes, We have class Mon-Fri. And the times for each class changes daily. Generally 2-3 two hour classes

4. Everyone is so supportive of everyone here. There really is no competition between any of us. The most competitive we have ever gotten was to determine who would sit in the front of the classroom at the beginning of the year... and that energy eventually died off. Lol

5. Yes, I definitely feel supported here. Everyone cares about everyone on campus. It’s crazy that all my professors, always reach out and speak to me when they see me on campus... which is daily. They always make sure you stay on the right track, and if you seem to be struggling they make the effort to help you.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder how long it will take for a decision to be made because I’m really not tryna spend my summer studying for the Mcat................

Awesome! So what about tutoring services and study groups? Do you have either? What all resources do you have that help you attain and surpass your benchmark goals. Also, what time do you usually (day to day) get off from classes to be able to devote the rest of your time to studies?
1. So far, the program has been great! I started off with a lot of questions, just like you all here. But its a very helpful program, especially for people who are non-traditional students and people who can work on getting a stronger GPA or MCAT/DAT score

2. Just work hard. There is no real advice to give. Most people get the GPA that they need. The real issue is getting the MCAT/DAT scores. That’s what really holds people from getting into medical and dental school here.

3. Yes, We have class Mon-Fri. And the times for each class changes daily. Generally 2-3 two hour classes

4. Everyone is so supportive of everyone here. There really is no competition between any of us. The most competitive we have ever gotten was to determine who would sit in the front of the classroom at the beginning of the year... and that energy eventually died off. Lol

5. Yes, I definitely feel supported here. Everyone cares about everyone on campus. It’s crazy that all my professors, always reach out and speak to me when they see me on campus... which is daily. They always make sure you stay on the right track, and if you seem to be struggling they make the effort to help you.

Thanks for that information. When did classes officially begin ? And how long were thanksgiving and Christmas’s/ winter break? Did you get acceptance into their med/ dent school ? And over fall do you believe this program was beneficial? Also I’ve heard a lot of pros are there any other cons other than cost of the program ? Thanks again!

1. Classes began the second week of August, I believe.

2. Winter break lasted a long time.. like 8 weeks because thats the time that you spend preparing to retake your MCAT and DAT. You have to take those tests and get the passing score before classes start

3. We don’t get accepted until we meet all criteria. Therefore we don’t get a letter of acceptance until we prove that we got the necessary GPA in April. The school still holds seats for us in Med/Dent school until we can do that. If we don’t get the GPA or the scores, then they go to the waitlist and accept someone else.

4. Definitely beneficial

5. Cons = The professors are all dental and med school professors, and for obvious reasons they have to prioritize dent and med classes over MHS. So sometimes its easy to feel like the step child of programs, but that hardly ever happens.
Con = I personally don’t like that they have us study and take the standardized tests over the winter. It really sets you up to ONLY apply to Meharry... which is great, but if you want to apply elsewhere you really have to be on top of it and get tat DAT/MCAT up to par before you waste time

Reactions: 1 users
There was no word count but i used around 500 words..

Question how do you know they invited you to apply for their program? Does it say.. introducing application for MHS?

Question how do you know they invited you to apply for their program? Does it say.. introducing application for MHS?
It will be very apparent and clearly stated.

Subject if e-mail is: Introducing the Application for the Master of Health Science Program

2. Winter break lasted a long time.. like 8 weeks because thats the time that you spend preparing to retake your MCAT and DAT. You have to take those tests and get the passing score before classes start

3. We don’t get accepted until we meet all criteria. Therefore we don’t get a letter of acceptance until we prove that we got the necessary GPA in April. The school still holds seats for us in Med/Dent school until we can do that. If we don’t get the GPA or the scores, then they go to the waitlist and accept someone else.

4. Definitely beneficial

5. Cons = The professors are all dental and med school professors, and for obvious reasons they have to prioritize dent and med classes over MHS. So sometimes its easy to feel like the step child of programs, but that hardly ever happens.
Con = I personally don’t like that they have us study and take the standardized tests over the winter. It really sets you up to ONLY apply to Meharry... which is great, but if you want to apply elsewhere you really have to be on top of it and get tat DAT/MCAT up to par before you waste time
Thank you! Very helpful! And do you remember how long thanksgiving break was? A week?

It will be very apparent and clearly stated.

Subject if e-mail is: Introducing the Application for the Master of Health Science Program

Ahh I see , welp then looks like I was invited then. Lol yay. Do they take the rec letters that was used in the amcas ? Cuz I’m really not trying to email my recommenders again

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ahh I see , welp then looks like I was invited then. Lol yay. Do they take the rec letters that was used in the amcas ? Cuz I’m really not trying to email my recommenders again
Per what folks said earlier fill out the info of the recommender and then put the admissions email in the email part.

Per what folks said earlier fill out the info of the recommender and then put the admissions email in the email part.

Uhhh Lolol I wish I’d known this before I submitted.. I guess I’ll call them tomorrow to see if it can applied to my app.

Uhhh Lolol I wish I’d known this before I submitted.. I guess I’ll call them tomorrow to see if it can applied to my app.
Good luck..... may the force be with you.

Wow, idk what i was thinking , but i didn’t know you had to pay for application. I might have been trippin but maybe because the app doesn’t allow you to see all sections of the app I didn’t think we had to.

Wow, idk what i was thinking , but i didn’t know you had to pay for application. I might have been trippin but maybe because the app doesn’t allow you to see all sections of the app I didn’t think we had to.
Ikr. My $$$ is extra low right now I'm hoping I can scrape up some money by April 1st

Ikr. My $$$ is extra low right now I'm hoping I can scrape up some money by April 1st
Yeah it was definitely a surprise lol. Money tight for me too now , but i sacrifice and get this in before April 1st.

Lol! yeah i was like umm i already gave yall $60 .... but now you want more?

They definitely doing things different this year..based on what pass students are saying cause they didn’t need to do an app or pay a fee.. i hope not too much is changing to make it more difficult for us.

So I tried to submit my letters using Interfolio to [email protected] and it said that deliveries cannot be made to this address :bang: is anyone else having this problem?

Oh that's weird! :( The lady I talked to said that should work! I would give them a call tomorrow to see what is up with that! I'm personally just using the ones from my AMCAS, so I ended up not using my service that I stored my letters on at all..

Thank you so much for all your answers, that really helps a lot, I really really really appreciate it!! Three more questions if you don't mind:

1) Regarding housing: are you living on campus housing? If so, do you recommend a certain one? I understand that they might be a bit more expensive, but for someone like me who isn't from TN and does not know the area at all, I feel like my best bet would be to just stay on the housing on campus at least for this year!

2) How is the anatomy course taken in the MHS program? Is it only lectures in class, or do you also do discussions in cadaver labs like a couple times a week? Just to get a better idea of how certain classes like this one will be like..

3) You don't take any of your classes with med/dental school students correct? In other words, the MHS program has its own classes correct?

Thank you so much once more for taking time out of your busy schedule to answer all of our questions!! :)

I wonder how long it will take for a decision to be made because I’m really not tryna spend my summer studying for the Mcat................

I also would like to know around how long I should expect it to take to hear back from them.. Also, is there an in person interview for this program before we hear a decision??

Spoke with a 4th year who did the program many moons ago, said he thinks that the requirements this year are going to be 3.5 and 503. Not sure how accurate this is though.

When I called admissions, I also asked about that to see if they offer a fee waiver since I qualified when I did my AMCAS, and she said no they do not offer any fee waivers, so unfortunately it has to be paid in full :(

Spoke with a 4th year who did the program many moons ago, said he thinks that the requirements this year are going to be 3.5 and 503. Not sure how accurate this is though.

From past posts, it seems like this is the same GPA requirement for last year as well to enter the med school, so this makes sense.. but I believe the MCAT score was a 501.. so if this is true, then they must have increased it :( :( :(

From past posts, it seems like this is the same GPA requirement for last year as well to enter the med school, so this makes sense.. but I believe the MCAT score was a 501.. so if this is true, then they must have increased it :( :( :(
The 2016 requirements were 3.5 and 498 so I wouldn’t be surprised if they upped it again.

I believe that is true because i saw a post from a 2016 applicant and they had to have a 498 MCAT score and 3.5 GPA, so it appears they raise the MCAT cutoff every year, unfortunately for us.

I don’t think the Mcat requirement is going to change because they just changed it to a 501 for the last class I think so I don’t feel like it’s going to be an annual thing since the point is to help students matriculate into medical school who otherwise would be wrote off because of their Mcat/gpa despite their potential

For those of us who got rejected but never interviewed, do you think we will have to go in for an interview for MHS before we can be accepted into the program?

If you don't interview at first you typically do interview for it I think. Beacuse it's like a linkage Program.
For those of us who got rejected but never interviewed, do you think we will have to go in for an interview for MHS before we can be accepted into the program?

Thank you! Very helpful! And do you remember how long thanksgiving break was? A week?

I’m pretty sure Thanksgiving break was a joke. I’m pretty sure we had classes on Wednesday and on had Thursday and Friday off.

Thank you for posting this thread! I got invited to apply for this program too and was weary about applying but now I think I will! I was never interviewed at Meharry but I interviewed at another school and am currently waitlisted there. I also got invited to attend the summer institute at MUSC which is supposed to provide a similar incentive to this masters program but it’s only six weeks. Fingers crossed either I’ll be off the waitlist at the current school, or I’ll have a couple of options going into next cycle! I wish you all the best!!

Based on the current academic calendar, the semester ends the first week of December.

Now I think it’s definitely doable. I went from a 492 to a 505 in 6 weeks because I found the best resources and studied more effectively. I also think the courses they offer in the fall will be geared toward MCAT content and students can just focus on enhancing their test taking skills

^Just my opinion. Lol
What resources did you use and how did you study?

4. Definitely beneficial

Hey do they make all students take the MCAT/DAT or are students that already meet the score requirements exempt? I just want to confirm

Does anyone know if we have to send in a transcript or personal statement? The application doesn’t ask for anything other 2 recommenders.
The application does ask for a statement of purpose too

Thank you so much for all your answers, that really helps a lot, I really really really appreciate it!! Three more questions if you don't mind:

1) Regarding housing: are you living on campus housing? If so, do you recommend a certain one? I understand that they might be a bit more expensive, but for someone like me who isn't from TN and does not know the area at all, I feel like my best bet would be to just stay on the housing on campus at least for this year!

2) How is the anatomy course taken in the MHS program? Is it only lectures in class, or do you also do discussions in cadaver labs like a couple times a week? Just to get a better idea of how certain classes like this one will be like..

3) You don't take any of your classes with med/dental school students correct? In other words, the MHS program has its own classes correct?

Thank you so much once more for taking time out of your busy schedule to answer all of our questions!! :)

1. I’m off campus. It’s cheaper and a lot of off campus housing is much better than on campus. Everyone gets free parking on campus, so if you don’t mind driving to campus. I say just find a place 10-15 minutes away from campus and drive in. I am from out of state also, but after a week of GPS’ing your way to campus, you find a simple and convenient route to campus.

2. We have mostly lectures, and we go to cadaver labs on select weekend days. We use plastic and rubber body parts and etc. most of the time though.

3. Correct MHS is separate from every other program, but the way the school is set up you will definitely be interacting with a lot of Med and dent students. There is a big sib program in MHS as well, so your big sib in MHS will be M1 or D1 students who did MHS

Hey do they make all students take the MCAT/DAT or are students that already meet the score requirements exempt? I just want to confirm

Med Students Requirements
3.5 GPA in MHS program
501 MCAT

If your MCAT is older than 3 years old you must retake it. If your MCAT is 501 or higher and younger than 3 years old. Then you do research over the winter break instead of Kaplan Prep

Dent Student Requirements
3.0 GPA
17 DAT

If your DAT is older than 3 years old you must retake it. If your DAT is 17 or higher and younger than 3 years, you do research over the winter break instead of Kaplan DAT prep.

I’m pretty sure Thanksgiving break was a joke. I’m pretty sure we had classes on Wednesday and on had Thursday and Friday off.
That’s what i thought , my family was tryna take a trip over thanksgiving and if accepted i won’t go , was trynna figure out how breaks work in that program

That’s what i thought , my family was tryna take a trip over thanksgiving and if accepted i won’t go , was trynna figure out how breaks work in that program
The HBCU way lol

Med Students Requirements
3.5 GPA in MHS program
501 MCAT

If your MCAT is older than 3 years old you must retake it. If your MCAT is 501 or higher and younger than 3 years old. Then you do research over the winter break instead of Kaplan Prep

Dent Student Requirements
3.0 GPA
17 DAT

If your DAT is older than 3 years old you must retake it. If your DAT is 17 or higher and younger than 3 years, you do research over the winter break instead of Kaplan DAT prep.

Perfect. Thank you!

It was longer than that... our final was that Monday before thanksgiving and then mcat classes started the following week. So we had a whole week off before Kaplan started.

So I asked admissions when priority applicants would be notified of decisions and they didn’t answer that question in their response but they did say to provide letters from science professors. If you can’t get science professors they’ll take anyone.

So I asked admissions when priority applicants would be notified of decisions and they didn’t answer that question in their response but they did say to provide letters from science professors. If you can’t get science professors they’ll take anyone.
I wish i knew they wanted science professors before i submitted, lol

Don’t worry y’all. They just told me that they would be mainly using our AMCAS app.

Reactions: 3 users
Have y’all had better luck calling them or emailing them?

Status
Not open for further replies.