Memes of Podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Not gonna lie, I remade my account just so that I could browse the meme thread ad-free

1787948273596.png
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad

Very true and funny video. We definitely do not need 700 new podiatrists a year. With the current job market, I honestly don’t even know if we need 100.

Old eat the young because of the job market.

Unpaid call because of the job market.

Can’t turn away bad jobs because of the job market.

Can’t turn away difficult or poorly reimbursed patients because of the job market.

Podiatrists testifying against other podiatrists to make few bucks because of the job market.

Practices hiring “fellows” instead of associates because they can get cheaper labor.

New grads accepting $120k–$150k jobs after 7 years of school and residency because there are limited alternatives and poor job market.

Terrible noncompetes because new grads have very little negotiating power and poor job market.

Doing an extra fellowship just to become competitive for jobs that used to go to residency graduates.

Taking unpaid hospital call just hoping it will generate surgical cases and referrals.

Employers knowing they can replace you because another podiatrist is looking for a job.

This is what oversupply does to a profession. It weakens everyone's bargaining power.


Meanwhile, many MD/DO specialties can choose from multiple geographic locations, receive signing bonuses and relocation packages, and make 2–3x what many podiatrists make despite the same minimum 7 years of professional school and postgraduate training.

Oh, this is data guy.
IMG_0637.jpeg
 
Very true and funny video. We definitely do not need 700 new podiatrists a year. With the current job market, I honestly don’t even know if we need 100.

Old eat the young because of the job market.

Unpaid call because of the job market.

Can’t turn away bad jobs because of the job market.

Can’t turn away difficult or poorly reimbursed patients because of the job market.

Podiatrists testifying against other podiatrists to make few bucks because of the job market.

Practices hiring “fellows” instead of associates because they can get cheaper labor.

New grads accepting $120k–$150k jobs after 7 years of school and residency because there are limited alternatives and poor job market.

Terrible noncompetes because new grads have very little negotiating power and poor job market.

Doing an extra fellowship just to become competitive for jobs that used to go to residency graduates.

Taking unpaid hospital call just hoping it will generate surgical cases and referrals.

Employers knowing they can replace you because another podiatrist is looking for a job.

This is what oversupply does to a profession. It weakens everyone's bargaining power.


Meanwhile, many MD/DO specialties can choose from multiple geographic locations, receive signing bonuses and relocation packages, and make 2–3x what many podiatrists make despite the same minimum 7 years of professional school and postgraduate training.

Oh, this is data guy.
View attachment 423927
Brilliant summary
 

#FreeDupre #DupreLives

Proof-of-life:
1788173287064.png


This thread and video set are the single greatest thing I have ever seen. Yes, that includes my children's births.

Thanks for the good thoughts. To those asking where I've been, I had a new opportunity toward the end of last year at a research think tank company that does work on data privacy protection. Knexus actually did a ton of work on the methods that the US Census Bureau has used to release fine-grained data without jeopardizing respondent anonymity, so... right up my alley. At the same time, I'm still been doing work for APMA on things like the compensation survey, underlying workforce estimates, therapeutic shoe efficacy/outcomes, and most-recently on some modifier-25 data questions for Advocacy.

I did push up the information on the "Starting Salary" statistic question to leadership and they're following up on it. To be unfortunately boring, I did not get fired or anything because of that. My understanding is that the materials are through a different organization and so it's not as simple as APMA saying "hey, this statement isn't accurate as written" and it being immediately fixed. That said, to my knowledge it's getting addressed.

Warmly,
Sam
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
View attachment 424012

There's something very funny to me about denying a prescription and then recommending I try 2 other medications - both of which probably require prior authorization.
Zyvox has been generic for a while now. I've been prescribing it without any PAs lately.

It's kind of like binge watching Firefly after having never watched the original run. I finally get what I've been missing out on.
 
GD it, guess I’ve gotta police my sorta own. Bro is a Caribbean grad (also took 5 years so he was failing classes), who went to a crappy family medicine residency (easiest thing available after already doing the easiest path), then did a crappy and frankly worthless fellowship that never matches, then hawks any kind of meds he can. For him to try to lord over any medical professional is beyond laughable, especially with the farce that is the last tweet.

F this guy and the horse he rode in on. Maybe not the horse, I like animals.
 
GD it, guess I’ve gotta police my sorta own. Bro is a Caribbean grad (also took 5 years so he was failing classes), who went to a crappy family medicine residency (easiest thing available after already doing the easiest path), then did a crappy and frankly worthless fellowship that never matches, then hawks any kind of meds he can. For him to try to lord over any medical professional is beyond laughable, especially with the farce that is the last tweet.

F this guy and the horse he rode in on. Maybe not the horse, I like animals.
all his online followers are from people who are obsessed with fantasy football.
 
GD it, guess I’ve gotta police my sorta own. Bro is a Caribbean grad (also took 5 years so he was failing classes), who went to a crappy family medicine residency (easiest thing available after already doing the easiest path), then did a crappy and frankly worthless fellowship that never matches, then hawks any kind of meds he can. For him to try to lord over any medical professional is beyond laughable, especially with the farce that is the last tweet.

F this guy and the horse he rode in on. Maybe not the horse, I like animals.
But he is an M D. Carte Blanche
 
GD it, guess I’ve gotta police my sorta own. Bro is a Caribbean grad (also took 5 years so he was failing classes), who went to a crappy family medicine residency (easiest thing available after already doing the easiest path), then did a crappy and frankly worthless fellowship that never matches, then hawks any kind of meds he can. For him to try to lord over any medical professional is beyond laughable, especially with the farce that is the last tweet.

F this guy and the horse he rode in on. Maybe not the horse, I like animals.
Of course he pushes peptides, PRP, and other regenerative nonsense.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What's wrong with regenerative medicine? Orthos do it and there are good stuff about it in lit. I wouldn't mind pushing that as a last resort before surgery.
 
What's wrong with regenerative medicine? Orthos do it and there are good stuff about it in lit. I wouldn't mind pushing that as a last resort before surgery.
Regenerative medicine's evidence base is slim, except for in a few podiatry-related indications. A lot of the push isn't coming from the data, it's coming from cash-pay economics and 'everyone else is doing it' logic, ortho included. Pushing expensive treatments without solid data-based outcomes isn't something I'd personally want to potentially burn a professional reputation with patients over.
 
This is a two-fer: you save on alcohol costs as you watch blood wash the phenol away AND get a second visit out of them in 4 months for repeat procedure
Bizarre comment. I know this isn't the TFP thread, and I'm certainly not about to flex about what a great toenail surgeon I am, but my recurrence is about 1/year and I do around 3 matrixectomies/day.
 
Had a VA patient on a rotation in residency that several years before had a tourniquet left on after ingrown procedure and ended up losing his toe because of it. Surprised he still came to VA podiatry after that. I went back and read his history and sure enough about ten years back there were all the notes about it. Good ol’ CPRS
 
IMG_2714.jpeg

I’ve seen wild things in my days, and I may or may not have seen someone during residency who was sent in for irritation after surgery with all 3 trocars hanging out in an eye a week and 2 postop visits later.

“Hey doc, what are those blue things I see in the mirror?”
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i do a safety timeout before every nail avulsion. We also count every instrument including tourniquet after. I have my medical assistant double count and check every object while I write my post op note. We also do a post op debriefing. Bubba wub