Mesa restaurant serving lion burgers...WTH?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Polar bear and condor jokes = fail
They don't fail if you understand why we're making them.

Maybe aiming for Polar Bears was a bit low. Farming White Rhinos, now THAT would be a money maker. You'd need a helluva lot more start-up money but the rewards would be unimaginable. You'd also need lots of space but I hear land is pretty cheap in the North Dakota-South Dakota-Wyoming-Idaho corridor. A few thousand acres should do.


Do you get it yet?
 
Last edited:
I think Parasitologist is saying that you have not said anything of worth and have only criticized and attacked other people and your "joke" was just a sarcastic way of doing the same thing
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I still think there is nothing wrong with eating lion. I am not in favor of lions being poached as I said earlier, but think there is nothing wrong with farming them. Most people just saw that lions were being eaten and said that was wrong, which I strongly disagree with.
 
but think there is nothing wrong with farming them.
This is why I kept pushing the "jokes" I was making. Farming animals like lions, polar bears, etc. diverts funds from conservation into commercialism whether it's directly or not. Spending $100,000 to start a Lion Farm just so you can keep them confined and eventually so you can kill them undermines conservation efforts. Farming threatened and endangered species is almost as bad as poaching.

The one exception I can think of is the alligator farming that has been done in Florida. Alligators were threatened but the programs that farms run has actually worked to increase the wild populations. That being said, raising and releasing alligators is probably nowhere near as difficult as raising and releasing Lions. The population turn-over is not even close and raising costs are probably astronomical in comparison.

I was completely serious about having to catch them btw. If you wanna have drugged predators put at your feet so you can "hunt" them then I think they should instead starve the targeted animals for a week or two and release them into the hunting area. If you can catch them you can eat them. If they catch you there is no safety net.
 
Farming does not have to reduce the amount of money put toward conservation. The American govt. should not be putting a large amount of money toward lion conservation, beings lions are in Africa and the US govt was not established to protect the endangered animals of other continents. Im sure we probably are putting a lot of money toward it anyway. And even if it did reduce the money being spent on conservation, that is still not a valid reason to outlaw something. You seem to think the solution to your problems is to pass a law. If you want more money for conservation, start a fund for lions and if someone wants to farm them, leave them alone to do that also. I dont understand some peoples fascination with telling others what they are and are not allowed to do.
 
There really is no reason a group of people should be able to force their culinary tastes on all the others in the country.

So why shouldn't we let anyone do whatever they want, however they want, whenever they want? Just because not everyone wants to participate in honor killings doesn't mean we shouldn't let those who find them culturally significant have their own, right? Gender selective infanticide? Or how about dog, cock and bull fighting? Littering? Public nudity? Sexual contact with 12 year olds? All cultural norms somewhere on the planet and no doubt in small minorities in the USA.

I get what you're saying, but society is governed by a collection of somewhat fluid norms. In the USA we have companion animals and we do not eat them. Horses appear to be making the transition from livestock to companion animals right now. Most don't eat them and many don't believe others should either. In your mind a dog is a cow is a lion is a monkey is a pig, but most Americans do not agree with you and our laws reflect that. That's the way these things work.
 
I think Parasitologist is saying that you have not said anything of worth and have only criticized and attacked other people and your "joke" was just a sarcastic way of doing the same thing

lmao go look at Parasitologist's post history, he's a troll.
 
Gender selective infanticide? Or how about dog, cock and bull fighting? Littering? Public nudity? Sexual contact with 12 year olds?

The difference is eating is a means of survival...the rest have nothing to do with that. Heck if we didn't need to eat then killing any animal would probably be illegal
 
The difference is eating is a means of survival...the rest have nothing to do with that. Heck if we didn't need to eat then killing any animal would probably be illegal


But what you eat and how you eat it is cultural.

And things like honor killings and gender selective infanticide are can also be means of survival in societies that shun dishonored families or having another girl in the family might bankrupt it. We can argue that this is ridiculous and wrong, but it's a cultural/survival thing regardless.

Anyway, the point is we have cultural norms that are set when most people feel something is wrong and immoral. And in the USA we don't eat companion animals. Whether that's the way society should work is a matter of debate, but that's the way it does!
 
I don't see how starting a lion farm business diverts money from conservation any more than starting a car dealership or a pig farm. It's not like the potential lion farmer finds out that it's illegal and donates their 100k to conservation instead.

So far we have the viewpoints that:

1) "It's OK to eat animals regardless of species (going to leave the humane thing out of this for now)"

2) "It's OK to eat certain animals but not other certain animals"

and I'm very surprised that no one has brought up:

3) "It's not OK to eat animals"

I think 1 and 3, while opposite, are the ones that actually make sense. Now, I understand the issue with poaching. But I do not see the difference between raising puppies for food and calves for food in an objective sense. There is an overpopulation of puppies; surely we are not pushing dogs to endangerment by eating them. And honestly, when we have horses, dogs, and cats being put to sleep for lack of homes AND we're breeding millions of different animals to eat, we're increasing the total number of animals that end up dying at human hands. Now, I totally understand personal and cultural preferences when making your own PERSONAL choices. I don't think I could bring myself to eat a rabbit, for example, but it's another whole ball game when you start trying to define what other people can and can't eat.

FWIW I'm vegetarian, but again this is my personal choice and not something that I believe I have the right to impose on other people.
 
I don't see how starting a lion farm business diverts money from conservation any more than starting a car dealership or a pig farm. It's not like the potential lion farmer finds out that it's illegal and donates their 100k to conservation instead.
I said even if indirectly. Starting a lion farm is an empty venture in terms of sustainability of a species. But it also takes up breeding populations. All these lions that are bred and killed are wasted. It undermines conservation.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I said even if indirectly. Starting a lion farm is an empty venture in terms of sustainability of a species. But it also takes up breeding populations. All these lions that are bred and killed are wasted. It undermines conservation.

So as long as that lion farm gives back 2 lion cubs to a conservation group to make up for the initial breeding pair they got, they can then go on with their lion raising inbreeding merry way to a happy and profitable business venture with no net affect on the wild population.
 
So as long as that lion farm gives back 2 lion cubs to a conservation group to make up for the initial breeding pair they got, they can then go on with their lion raising inbreeding merry way to a happy and profitable business venture with no net affect on the wild population.
It's not that simple as I mentioned. The alligator farms have made it work but lions are a different beast. Sorry for the pun. If Lion farming could mimic what alligator farms have done then I might not be so critical of...wait we shouldn't even be discussing lion farms because the original report is completely false!

It's also not just the alligator farms that have helped increase the wild population. Conservation groups and local authorities are just as much to thank for it. Again, not quite as simple as just giving away two of the cubs.