MHA admissions Fall '14

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone apply to U of Michigan - Ann Arbor for their MHSA program?

I applied to three MHA/MHSA programs:

- U of Michigan
- U of Minnesota (interviewing in spring)
- UNC Chapel Hill

Anyone have insight into the advantage/disadvantage of doing a MBA/MPH and then getting into a career in healthcare/hospital administration? I'll be graduating with a BS in Health Management/Administration. One MHA program director advised I look at MBA programs because of potential curriculum overlap between undergrad and grad school. Then again, undergrad is undergrad and grad school is grad school.

Any advice is appreciated. Happy to return the favor, too.

Members don't see this ad.

I sent in my applications in early October. Graduating in May with B.S. in Health Science with concentration of Health Services Administration.

Applied:
U of Michigan
U of Minnesota (interview in January)
UAB (interview in January)
Tulane
MUSC

Has anyone heard from Michigan or Tulane? The only thing I've received is a confirmation that they have my application

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome @MadisonJacket, it's pretty...not exhilarating haha.

Thought I'd let everyone know that UNC Chapel Hill sent me an Email inviting me for an interview yesterday evening, so it looks like they're beginning to move forward in the process!

That's great to hear! I was under the impression that they wouldn't do anything until next year, but now this makes me even more anxious. My 3rd and last writer said that he's having a hard time submitting the letter to their online submission form, so hopefully we get this straightened out ASAP and move forward.

Do you know when they plan to have interviews? If you haven't been to their campus before, it's absolutely gorgeous. Let me know if you want a list of places to visit!

That's great to hear! I was under the impression that they wouldn't do anything until next year, but now this makes me even more anxious. My 3rd and last writer said that he's having a hard time submitting the letter to their online submission form, so hopefully we get this straightened out ASAP and move forward.

Do you know when they plan to have interviews? If you haven't been to their campus before, it's absolutely gorgeous. Let me know if you want a list of places to visit!

You're so sweet, thanks for offering! I have a bunch of family in NC and actually visited the campus in August- I think it's beautiful, too!

One of my recommenders had trouble submitting her LOR, too. Johns Hopkins and UNC use the same system so sometimes it doesn't work if you're logged in to the other's. Clearing cookies and/or closing and restarting the browser should do the trick. Otherwise, my recommender was just persistent and was able to get it in after a few hours of trying on and off.

I think you're right regarding UNC's timeline. It seems that the first interview date is January 13th, so although they're beginning to invite people to interview, it won't happen for a while. Don't be anxious, especially since Dec 1 is the early admit deadline!

Hey,

Has anybody interviewed with Tulane yet? I'm interviewing with them early next week. Any idea what the questions will be like?

Hey,

Has anybody interviewed with Tulane yet? I'm interviewing with them early next week. Any idea what the questions will be like?

I haven't heard anything from them and my application was submitted and confirmed by them on October 25th.

Just got a favorable decision from Hopkins today!

Reactions: 1 users
Ah yay, congratulations!! :hardy: I am 90% sure I'll attend the admitted students day. Are you still considering other programs?

I'd like to go, but I'm out on the west coast so I'll have to figure out if I can take time off work. And I'm still waiting to hear back from every other school I've applied to, so yeah, definitely still considering other programs (the financial aspect will be a big factor in my decision). It's definitely a huge sigh of relief to have an acceptance already though! How about you, are you still considering other programs, or are you set on Hopkins?

Hi All,

I am planning to apply for MHA program and I am a non-native student. I don't have any prior experience in Healthcare sector. I have an Engineering background Class of 2012). Also, through little research online, I have come to know that Universities hardly admit any International students. This kind of puts me in dilemma to whether or not I can apply to this program.

It would of great help, if someone shares any information regarding Universities that admit international students without prior work experience.

Thanks.

I'm interviewing with GWU in early January. Anybody done with the interview already? How did it go?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interviewing with GWU in early January. Anybody done with the interview already? How did it go?

I had a Skype interview with GWU last week. Definitely one of the most easy going interviews I've ever done! Just relax and be prepared to talk about your self and your professional goals. :)

I had a Skype interview with GWU last week. Definitely one of the most easy going interviews I've ever done! Just relax and be prepared to talk about your self and your professional goals. :)
Ah, that's a relief! Thanks! :) How many weeks did they say they'll take to give you their decision?

Anybody accepted to Tulane yet? I interviewed with them today & they said they'll let me know their decision in two weeks. These will be the most nerve wracking two weeks ever! :s

Hello,

I am interested in MHA programs and will be taking my GRE on jan 2, 2014. I still haven't submitted my MHA application yet. I will do it in the coming week. I know, that I am very late. Do u guys think I still have a chance or is it too late??

Hello,

I am interested in MHA programs and will be taking my GRE on jan 2, 2014. I still haven't submitted my MHA application yet. I will do it in the coming week. I know, that I am very late. Do u guys think I still have a chance or is it too late??

As long as you submit a completed application by the deadlines for the schools you are applying for, you should be fine. Submission times for applications usually relate to priority scholarships or graduate assistantship availability (for the schools offer that).

Ah, that's a relief! Thanks! :) How many weeks did they say they'll take to give you their decision?

I interviewed in person for GW on November 21st. Dr. Friedman is so affable and warm, you'll be fine! I found the questions to be pretty good- know what you want, who you are, and what your leadership/working styles are and you'll do great!

I was told I would hear back in two weeks, but just got my decision today (I was offered admission). Good luck and let me know if you want some other interview pointers!

I'd like to go, but I'm out on the west coast so I'll have to figure out if I can take time off work. And I'm still waiting to hear back from every other school I've applied to, so yeah, definitely still considering other programs (the financial aspect will be a big factor in my decision). It's definitely a huge sigh of relief to have an acceptance already though! How about you, are you still considering other programs, or are you set on Hopkins?

I'm on the west coast, too! I'm not set on Hopkins, but I did visit last month, met with the interim director, some faculty, and students and I was quite impressed. I didn't apply to Michigan or Minnesota (a location thing for me), but I'm looking forward to my interview at Chapel Hill next month. Their program looks fantastic, so we'll see how things go!

Just got an interview with Cornell, scheduled for later in the week. So nervous! Any advice? Has anyone heard from Cornell yet?

I interviewed by phone Dec 5th and I was accepted yesterday as well. I co-sign on what everyone else said about the interview and just wanted to add that it was super short, something like 10-15 minutes, so definitely nothing to stress over. Good luck!

Did anyone apply to U of Michigan - Ann Arbor for their MHSA program?

I applied to three MHA/MHSA programs:

- U of Michigan
- U of Minnesota (interviewing in spring)
- UNC Chapel Hill

Anyone have insight into the advantage/disadvantage of doing a MBA/MPH and then getting into a career in healthcare/hospital administration? I'll be graduating with a BS in Health Management/Administration. One MHA program director advised I look at MBA programs because of potential curriculum overlap between undergrad and grad school. Then again, undergrad is undergrad and grad school is grad school.

Any advice is appreciated. Happy to return the favor, too.

FutureMHA, I also applied to Michigan. Haven't heard anything yet besides the fact that they received my application. I attended their Prospective Students Day and I think that they said the interview would be sometime in January.

As far as insight into which degree to pursue- if you have a BS in Health Management, I think an MBA or MPH would serve you well. Generally, an MPH is more policy focused and an MBA is obviously business focused. If you definitely want to be in administration, my guess is that an MBA would be a little more helpful. However, if you took a finance heavy courseload in undergrad (not sure everything your program covered) then you may see a lot of that overlap you mentioned. An MPH could be helpful in relating to the clinical side of healthcare. I guess it depends exactly what you want to do in hospital admin. I hope that helps, just my two cents.

Just got an interview with Cornell, scheduled for later in the week. So nervous! Any advice? Has anyone heard from Cornell yet?

I interviewed last week. Lots of very specific questions about my work experience and personal statement. The director is really nice and I didn't find it to be very difficult overall. I was told during the interview that I would hear back on the 16th, and I did end up getting an email requesting a second interview with one of their students. I'm not sure whether that's a good or bad sign so I'll refrain from giving too much advice. Good luck on your interview!

I interviewed last week. Lots of very specific questions about my work experience and personal statement. The director is really nice and I didn't find it to be very difficult overall. I was told during the interview that I would hear back on the 16th, and I did end up getting an email requesting a second interview with one of their students. I'm not sure whether that's a good or bad sign so I'll refrain from giving too much advice. Good luck on your interview!

Woah, never anticipated current students also participating in the interview process. If you haven't had it yet, good luck! Thank you for your input :) Is Cornell your top choice?

Woah, never anticipated current students also participating in the interview process. If you haven't had it yet, good luck! Thank you for your input :) Is Cornell your top choice?

Thanks! Definitely leaning most strongly towards Cornell at this point….well, if I get in that is. Is it your top choice as well?

Thanks! Definitely leaning most strongly towards Cornell at this point….well, if I get in that is. Is it your top choice as well?

Yeah, it's definitely high on the list for me as well. Did they give you any idea of when decisions will go out after the phone interview? Good luck and I hope we both can call each other classmates next year :)

I'm on the west coast, too! I'm not set on Hopkins, but I did visit last month, met with the interim director, some faculty, and students and I was quite impressed. I didn't apply to Michigan or Minnesota (a location thing for me), but I'm looking forward to my interview at Chapel Hill next month. Their program looks fantastic, so we'll see how things go!

The assistant director actually connected me with some current and former Hopkins students out here in SoCal, so I'm looking forward to talking/meeting up with them. Hopkins is definitely one of my top choices, so it'll be great getting their perspectives. I saw you were accepted to GW as well, congrats! And good luck with your interview with Chapel Hill, I'm sure you'll do great!

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, it's definitely high on the list for me as well. Did they give you any idea of when decisions will go out after the phone interview? Good luck and I hope we both can call each other classmates next year :)

Yay for potential classmates :)
I was told during my first interview on the 10th that I'd hear back right after the committee met on the 16th, which I thought meant a decision instead of the whole interview part two thing. I'm literally just waiting for the next one until maybe beginning of January-ish. Did you interview yet?

Yay for potential classmates :)
I was told during my first interview on the 10th that I'd hear back right after the committee met on the 16th, which I thought meant a decision instead of the whole interview part two thing. I'm literally just waiting for the next one until maybe beginning of January-ish. Did you interview yet?[/quot
The interviewer said I would have a final decision regarding admissions by Jan. 13th. Fingers crossed! Good luck to you too!

Last edited:
Hi Guys..Just received an admit from Yale school of Public Health for their MPH in Health Care Management..In addition to this I have also been admitted in the Health sector Management MBA at the Duke Fuqua School of Business....I have Columbia and John Hopkins still pending for the MHA concentration.

Hi Guys..Just received an admit from Yale school of Public Health for their MPH in Health Care Management..In addition to this I have also been admitted in the Health sector Management MBA at the Duke Fuqua School of Business....I have Columbia and John Hopkins still pending for the MHA concentration.

Congrats on Yale and Duke! Are you considering doing a dual MPH/MBA at all?

Congrats on Yale and Duke! Are you considering doing a dual MPH/MBA at all?

Thanks for the wishes! I am not really considering a joint/dual program, but am concentrating more on the management side of things. I am a trained phycisian with almost a decade of expereince in healthcare and public health so i only targeted MPH or MHA areas where i would get solid management training through the peer business school attatched to the college. Both Yale and Columbia have their respective healthcare admin/management programs structured in such a way that enable students to take most of their classes at the respective business schools (world renowned)..Duke Fuqua has an HSM (Health sector management) MBA that is perhaps the best in the world and coupled with a MBA that is in the top 10 or 15 in the US so that was my rationale behind applying over there.

Columbia has not yet gotten back to me regarding their decision but that would be something I would strongly consider as they are a bigger program compared to yale and i see some very interesting internship opportunities in NYC.

Does anyone know the difference between Columbia's MPH-HPM and Columbia's MHA program. The MHA program is CAHME accredited according to HAMPCAS.

Location was a huge factor in deciding where to apply for me, hence the no-Michigan/Minnesota/JHU

Last edited:
Got an interview with Johns Hopkins! Didn't expect that to happen so soon.

When did you apply, if you don't mind me asking?

Also (again, if you dont mind), what are your stats and such?

Applied Dec. 2nd, but my application wasn't completed until the 18th.

GPA: 3.10 in biomedical engineering
GRE: 154 (V) 156 (Q) 4.0 - I'm pretty sure those are the numbers.
Work experience: 1 year with a software company that's heavily involved with the healthcare industry. Pretty sure this is what got the interview invite.

Congrats man..Bloomberg school is an awesome school..Hoping to hear from them too :) ..

Thanks! Pretty excited about this one, since I've already spent a few days working at one of their hospitals and was thoroughly impressed with their operations. Good luck!

Hi all,

I was contacted by the MHA program at Hopkins saying that they would like to interview me, but that I might be more interested in the MSPH program in Health Policy. When looking at the two programs I was more attracted to the MHA program. I have a health policy background and liked all the finance and management type classes because I would like to go into consulting. Any thoughts? Anyone look at the MSPH program?

Thanks!

Edited to add

Applied: Univ of Minn (MHA), UNC Chapel Hill (MHA), Emory (MPH HPM), UCLA (MPH HPM), Univ of Michigan (MHSA), Berkley (MPH HPM), Harvard (SM HPM), Yale (MPH HPM), JHU (MHA) All submitted end of November

Accepted: UNC Chapel Hill (MHA), Emory (MPH HPM), UCLA (MPH HPM), Univ of Michigan (MHSA), Yale (MPH HPM), JHU (MHA)
Rejected: N/A
Waitlisted: N/A
Withdrew:
Univ of Minn (MHA)

Last edited:
Applied Dec. 2nd, but my application wasn't completed until the 18th.

GPA: 3.10 in biomedical engineering
GRE: 154 (V) 156 (Q) 4.0 - I'm pretty sure those are the numbers.
Work experience: 1 year with a software company that's heavily involved with the healthcare industry. Pretty sure this is what got the interview invite.

Thanks! Pretty excited about this one, since I've already spent a few days working at one of their hospitals and was thoroughly impressed with their operations. Good luck!

Congrats MadisonJacket! Did you hear back today? I thought they were on break.

EDIT: Nevermind, the website says they resumed yesterday! Congrats again! Hoping to hear from them as well :D

Last edited:
Was accepted to Trinity, interviewing with UAB and VCU in January. Really happy with all three so far and getting excited! (Location was a huge factor in deciding where to apply for me, hence the no-Michigan/Minnesota/JHU)
Congrats to you M1716! Glad to see people getting into schools they actually want to go to :)