Michigan State c/o 2027 Applicants

Started by BeanDVM
Tags Tags
vet c/o 2027
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad

Attachments

  • 0AAFCE12-F360-45E8-A928-D3469D4053AF.jpeg
    0AAFCE12-F360-45E8-A928-D3469D4053AF.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 218
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Admissions responded to my email. They didn't consider my AP credit to fulfill the General Biology prereq. They said I could have my school's registrar email a memo that indicates the credit I received. I wonder if that's the same issue that some of you all are having?
 
Just had my interview. I'm now glad it's MMI as I completely misunderstood one of the questions (I realized at the last thirty seconds of that station) and talked about different stuff. 🥲
Omg same thing happened to me, it was too late to save myself and ran out of time 😩
 
They had emailed me that my science pre-reqs weren't fulfilled and my application would not move forward. I had contacted and they finally got back to me Thursday confirming that this was because I didn't take my schools BIOL150 and skipped it my freshman year to take BIOL155🙃And requested a memo from my advisor same day, like what?? I am hoping my advisor can get that to them today and I might have a shot at an interview. Probably going through all of this work just to not get one😢
But shouldn't that say something if my institution wanted me to skip the intro course to move up one as a freshman?!?!
 
They had emailed me that my science pre-reqs weren't fulfilled and my application would not move forward. I had contacted and they finally got back to me Thursday confirming that this was because I didn't take my schools BIOL150 and skipped it my freshman year to take BIOL155🙃And requested a memo from my advisor same day, like what?? I am hoping my advisor can get that to them today and I might have a shot at an interview. Probably going through all of this work just to not get one😢
But shouldn't that say something if my institution wanted me to skip the intro course to move up one as a freshman?!?!
I had a similar issue and they wanted a memo from my registrars the same day as well. My registrars still hasn't been able to send it to them but I'm going to try anyways. Seems unrealistic to give us such a short amt of time
 
got an email about two hours ago stating i was still under file review and to complete a survey about whether i still want to be a candidate or be removed! anyone else?
 
Also got that email. Insane to me that I paid so much money for them to get my application and they’re now asking if I even still want them to review it!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yesterday I sent them an email stating that I no longer am participating in the interview tomorrow, so hopefully that frees up a spot for someone!!
 
Admissions responded to my email. They didn't consider my AP credit to fulfill the General Biology prereq. They said I could have my school's registrar email a memo that indicates the credit I received. I wonder if that's the same issue that some of you all are having?
i got the same email
 
Thanks for sharing. That def doesn't look great on MSU. Seems like some ppl in the comments disagree with OP tho so it might not be as bad as it seems? I can imagine that the shooting has had a terrible impact on the school as well.
I totally agree that the shooting probably has emotions running high. I’m not too concerned about the classes for 2nd year being in a different building. I just don’t like hearing about the sexual assault allegations, the dean resigning today, the potential cheating issues, and what feels like growing animosity between classes and students.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I totally agree that the shooting probably has emotions running high. I’m not too concerned about the classes for 2nd year being in a different building. I just don’t like hearing about the sexual assault allegations, the dean resigning today, the potential cheating issues, and what feels like growing animosity between classes and students.
I agree. The sexual assault thing is very concerning for obvious reasons. This seems like not the most conducive environment for an already stressful 4 years...
 
As a current second year, I can confirm, that reads worse than it actually is and I'd like to try and stifle it before things run further amok. Tensions are a bit high in my class right now, that's for sure, but we're all currently trying to find normal after the shooting two weeks ago. Spring Break is also next week, so we're all a little anxious and overdue for a break.

I'm going to be honest, OP failed to elaborate on key points in order to have more inflammatory points instead of providing all information needed. Yes, the Dean of the CVM has put in her resignation, however, she is still going to be a member of the CVM community. Dr. Pushner will be returning to her position in the Veterinary Diagnostic Lab, and it sounds like she'll still be teaching courses at the CVM (mainly toxicology). She's leaving her role not because of the CVM and issues within, but because of the leadership at MSU as a whole. As for other staff leaving, I'm unsure about this. I feel like we get emails every week about the CVM welcoming new staff.

The CVM has enlisted the help of trauma scientists and researchers in how to best offer support to CVM classes as we navigate re-adjusting to school life post the violence on campus -- and yes, the trauma experts have stated that to move forward, the best thing to do is to return to normal. The CVM is a 5-minute walk from the building we have classes in, where we have plenty of access to wellness spaces, quiet spaces, etc, and we have a new wellness space for the CVM specifically in our current building now (after a brief issue that has been resolved). OP also failed to acknowledge that the CVM has specifically stated on multiple occasions that if you need additional accommodations because you do not feel safe attending class in person, to please reach out to administration and they will make accommodations for you. The CVM has completely locked all doors, so you need badge access to get in. The same can't be said for the building the second years are in, but that's out of the CVMs hands.

It's common knowledge in the veterinary field that second year is your hardest year -- and that is absolutely true. We are all clearly stressed, so emotions are running high and the shooting has very clearly not helped things. This stress is common no matter what school you attend, and there's no easy solution. MSU CVM offers plenty of resources (now even more after those traumatic events), and it's up to people to use them. The CVM has been very accommodating, and though the CVM hasn't specifically reached out for a wellness check in those words, they've circulated the resources available, as well as given us reminders about the wellness and quiet rooms, relatively routinely since we returned last week. More importantly, our individual instructors (who we see on a daily basis) have been checking in on us. They've also had therapy dogs going pretty consistently in the CVM this week and last.

As for rotations, yes, MSU is not a primarily large-animal focused school, however, they have an amazing large animal hospital with absolutely phenomenal staff that are always more than happy to have students walk through to see cases. There are also plenty of ways to get involved in the large animal hospital during school before clinics. The clinical rotation in the large animal hospital is also twice as long (6 weeks) as other rotations, and you have 7 elective rotations to fill with large animal externships. The equine club and food animal club are also some of the most active clubs at the CVM, and they offer a lot of cool, hands-on labs throughout the semesters.

On the topic of the sexual assault allegations, I haven't heard anything about this so I can't speak much to it. Not that it means they aren't happening or haven't happened, but just that I'm not sure where OP is getting this information from. There are reports of sexual assault allegations in other departments outside of the CVM, but I have yet to see any in relation to the CVM. As a whole though, I can say, it does seem like MSU has a lot of work to do when it comes to handling sexual assault allegations.

And lastly -- In our last systems course (which was musculoskeletal II), AP learned some individuals were given answers for these quizzes we had almost daily (different than our normal prep quizzes in other courses) and AP addressed our class about the cheating in an effort to get the individuals to come forward. I'm unsure if any of them actually did come forward themselves, but AP hinted at knowing who the individuals were, they just wanted to give them a chance to confess. Some classmates are being investigated for academic dishonesty, but I wouldn't let that affect your decision to attend MSU. It's a one-off and unfortunately, you're going to get some bad apples in every class.

Take what OP said with a grain of salt. I'm not trying to diminish their concerns because they are valid to a degree, but I think their emotions are running high and their judgement is getting clouded. Talk to other students if you can and get a whole picture. MSU CVM is by no means perfect, but I don't regret my choice to attend MSU whatsoever. The curriculum, the faculty, and the hospital are all honestly amazing. Despite how it feels at times, we do have a strong support system and there are so many faculty who are on our side and have our backs. There's a lot happening behind the scenes we're not privy to, and I feel people forget sometimes all the effort that goes into running a CVM smoothly.

No class ever gets along 100% of the time. However, sans some occasional clique-iness, my class does get along with each other for the most part. Outside of some upset the past few weeks, there's really been no issue between my classmates. There might be some minor things here and there, but as a whole, we all get along and come together pretty well. The same can be said for other classes. You might have a few outliers here and there, but we're 115 people. Realistically, despite all best efforts, ****'s going to happen.
 
As a current second year, I can confirm, that reads worse than it actually is and I'd like to try and stifle it before things run further amok. Tensions are a bit high in my class right now, that's for sure, but we're all currently trying to find normal after the shooting two weeks ago. Spring Break is also next week, so we're all a little anxious and overdue for a break.

I'm going to be honest, OP failed to elaborate on key points in order to have more inflammatory points instead of providing all information needed. Yes, the Dean of the CVM has put in her resignation, however, she is still going to be a member of the CVM community. Dr. Pushner will be returning to her position in the Veterinary Diagnostic Lab, and it sounds like she'll still be teaching courses at the CVM (mainly toxicology). She's leaving her role not because of the CVM and issues within, but because of the leadership at MSU as a whole. As for other staff leaving, I'm unsure about this. I feel like we get emails every week about the CVM welcoming new staff.

The CVM has enlisted the help of trauma scientists and researchers in how to best offer support to CVM classes as we navigate re-adjusting to school life post the violence on campus -- and yes, the trauma experts have stated that to move forward, the best thing to do is to return to normal. The CVM is a 5-minute walk from the building we have classes in, where we have plenty of access to wellness spaces, quiet spaces, etc, and we have a new wellness space for the CVM specifically in our current building now (after a brief issue that has been resolved). OP also failed to acknowledge that the CVM has specifically stated on multiple occasions that if you need additional accommodations because you do not feel safe attending class in person, to please reach out to administration and they will make accommodations for you. The CVM has completely locked all doors, so you need badge access to get in. The same can't be said for the building the second years are in, but that's out of the CVMs hands.

It's common knowledge in the veterinary field that second year is your hardest year -- and that is absolutely true. We are all clearly stressed, so emotions are running high and the shooting has very clearly not helped things. This stress is common no matter what school you attend, and there's no easy solution. MSU CVM offers plenty of resources (now even more after those traumatic events), and it's up to people to use them. The CVM has been very accommodating, and though the CVM hasn't specifically reached out for a wellness check in those words, they've circulated the resources available, as well as given us reminders about the wellness and quiet rooms, relatively routinely since we returned last week. More importantly, our individual instructors (who we see on a daily basis) have been checking in on us. They've also had therapy dogs going pretty consistently in the CVM this week and last.

As for rotations, yes, MSU is not a primarily large-animal focused school, however, they have an amazing large animal hospital with absolutely phenomenal staff that are always more than happy to have students walk through to see cases. There are also plenty of ways to get involved in the large animal hospital during school before clinics. The clinical rotation in the large animal hospital is also twice as long (6 weeks) as other rotations, and you have 7 elective rotations to fill with large animal externships. The equine club and food animal club are also some of the most active clubs at the CVM, and they offer a lot of cool, hands-on labs throughout the semesters.

On the topic of the sexual assault allegations, I haven't heard anything about this so I can't speak much to it. Not that it means they aren't happening or haven't happened, but just that I'm not sure where OP is getting this information from. There are reports of sexual assault allegations in other departments outside of the CVM, but I have yet to see any in relation to the CVM. As a whole though, I can say, it does seem like MSU has a lot of work to do when it comes to handling sexual assault allegations.

And lastly -- In our last systems course (which was musculoskeletal II), AP learned some individuals were given answers for these quizzes we had almost daily (different than our normal prep quizzes in other courses) and AP addressed our class about the cheating in an effort to get the individuals to come forward. I'm unsure if any of them actually did come forward themselves, but AP hinted at knowing who the individuals were, they just wanted to give them a chance to confess. Some classmates are being investigated for academic dishonesty, but I wouldn't let that affect your decision to attend MSU. It's a one-off and unfortunately, you're going to get some bad apples in every class.

Take what OP said with a grain of salt. I'm not trying to diminish their concerns because they are valid to a degree, but I think their emotions are running high and their judgement is getting clouded. Talk to other students if you can and get a whole picture. MSU CVM is by no means perfect, but I don't regret my choice to attend MSU whatsoever. The curriculum, the faculty, and the hospital are all honestly amazing. Despite how it feels at times, we do have a strong support system and there are so many faculty who are on our side and have our backs. There's a lot happening behind the scenes we're not privy to, and I feel people forget sometimes all the effort that goes into running a CVM smoothly.

No class ever gets along 100% of the time. However, sans some occasional clique-iness, my class does get along with each other for the most part. Outside of some upset the past few weeks, there's really been no issue between my classmates. There might be some minor things here and there, but as a whole, we all get along and come together pretty well. The same can be said for other classes. You might have a few outliers here and there, but we're 115 people. Realistically, despite all best efforts, ****'s going to happen.
Thank you so much for giving more clarity to what is going on!
 
As a current second year, I can confirm, that reads worse than it actually is and I'd like to try and stifle it before things run further amok. Tensions are a bit high in my class right now, that's for sure, but we're all currently trying to find normal after the shooting two weeks ago. Spring Break is also next week, so we're all a little anxious and overdue for a break.

I'm going to be honest, OP failed to elaborate on key points in order to have more inflammatory points instead of providing all information needed. Yes, the Dean of the CVM has put in her resignation, however, she is still going to be a member of the CVM community. Dr. Pushner will be returning to her position in the Veterinary Diagnostic Lab, and it sounds like she'll still be teaching courses at the CVM (mainly toxicology). She's leaving her role not because of the CVM and issues within, but because of the leadership at MSU as a whole. As for other staff leaving, I'm unsure about this. I feel like we get emails every week about the CVM welcoming new staff.

The CVM has enlisted the help of trauma scientists and researchers in how to best offer support to CVM classes as we navigate re-adjusting to school life post the violence on campus -- and yes, the trauma experts have stated that to move forward, the best thing to do is to return to normal. The CVM is a 5-minute walk from the building we have classes in, where we have plenty of access to wellness spaces, quiet spaces, etc, and we have a new wellness space for the CVM specifically in our current building now (after a brief issue that has been resolved). OP also failed to acknowledge that the CVM has specifically stated on multiple occasions that if you need additional accommodations because you do not feel safe attending class in person, to please reach out to administration and they will make accommodations for you. The CVM has completely locked all doors, so you need badge access to get in. The same can't be said for the building the second years are in, but that's out of the CVMs hands.

It's common knowledge in the veterinary field that second year is your hardest year -- and that is absolutely true. We are all clearly stressed, so emotions are running high and the shooting has very clearly not helped things. This stress is common no matter what school you attend, and there's no easy solution. MSU CVM offers plenty of resources (now even more after those traumatic events), and it's up to people to use them. The CVM has been very accommodating, and though the CVM hasn't specifically reached out for a wellness check in those words, they've circulated the resources available, as well as given us reminders about the wellness and quiet rooms, relatively routinely since we returned last week. More importantly, our individual instructors (who we see on a daily basis) have been checking in on us. They've also had therapy dogs going pretty consistently in the CVM this week and last.

As for rotations, yes, MSU is not a primarily large-animal focused school, however, they have an amazing large animal hospital with absolutely phenomenal staff that are always more than happy to have students walk through to see cases. There are also plenty of ways to get involved in the large animal hospital during school before clinics. The clinical rotation in the large animal hospital is also twice as long (6 weeks) as other rotations, and you have 7 elective rotations to fill with large animal externships. The equine club and food animal club are also some of the most active clubs at the CVM, and they offer a lot of cool, hands-on labs throughout the semesters.

On the topic of the sexual assault allegations, I haven't heard anything about this so I can't speak much to it. Not that it means they aren't happening or haven't happened, but just that I'm not sure where OP is getting this information from. There are reports of sexual assault allegations in other departments outside of the CVM, but I have yet to see any in relation to the CVM. As a whole though, I can say, it does seem like MSU has a lot of work to do when it comes to handling sexual assault allegations.

And lastly -- In our last systems course (which was musculoskeletal II), AP learned some individuals were given answers for these quizzes we had almost daily (different than our normal prep quizzes in other courses) and AP addressed our class about the cheating in an effort to get the individuals to come forward. I'm unsure if any of them actually did come forward themselves, but AP hinted at knowing who the individuals were, they just wanted to give them a chance to confess. Some classmates are being investigated for academic dishonesty, but I wouldn't let that affect your decision to attend MSU. It's a one-off and unfortunately, you're going to get some bad apples in every class.

Take what OP said with a grain of salt. I'm not trying to diminish their concerns because they are valid to a degree, but I think their emotions are running high and their judgement is getting clouded. Talk to other students if you can and get a whole picture. MSU CVM is by no means perfect, but I don't regret my choice to attend MSU whatsoever. The curriculum, the faculty, and the hospital are all honestly amazing. Despite how it feels at times, we do have a strong support system and there are so many faculty who are on our side and have our backs. There's a lot happening behind the scenes we're not privy to, and I feel people forget sometimes all the effort that goes into running a CVM smoothly.

No class ever gets along 100% of the time. However, sans some occasional clique-iness, my class does get along with each other for the most part. Outside of some upset the past few weeks, there's really been no issue between my classmates. There might be some minor things here and there, but as a whole, we all get along and come together pretty well. The same can be said for other classes. You might have a few outliers here and there, but we're 115 people. Realistically, despite all best efforts, ****'s going to happen.
Thanks for giving your perspective and clarifying some things from the Reddit post! I 100% Agree with you!

Note to others:
I am a 1st year at MSU, and I don't regret my decision at all. I also have plenty of 2nd and 3rd year friends that are happy with the program. The OP of this reddit post seems like they were high off emotions (with everything going on). While I believe it is ok to give perspectives and am open to listening to them, I disagree and am disappointed with the wording and phrasing the OP used. It is very misleading on what is actually occurring at the CVM. The OP did not say anything positive at all either, which further highlights that I think this reddit post was emotionally driven. I really want to highlight that the faculty that I have had the privilege of working with so far, want you to succeed! Everyone can say that of their program, but I have experienced it first-hand! My class has been amazing for the most part as well! I really would not let this single post discourage any of you from joining this program.


As a side note:
I am OOS and my in-state is one of the 'more prestigious and well known' programs (one of the top in the world). I worked closely with faculty of that program for a while (in a clinical role), and I have been told that their program is starting to become lacking, and the quality of education just isn't what it used to be. Some close friends go to other prominent veterinary schools too and they are having similar viewpoints in regard to their stress/curriculum. Everyone has their own perspective of things, and every program has its pros/cons. Take everything with a grain of salt! Don't hesitate to reach out to me if anyone has questions regarding the curriculum. Based on my own experience thus far, as a first year, I am not afraid to bluntly give you my perspective! I will not share what my upperclassmen have told me though because that is all about interpretation/subjectiveness on one's own experiences - can't equate to generalization of the program as a whole.