Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I took genetics last year at oakland. Not the online course but the class. It was with Dr. Wendell and I thought it was great. The online biochem course is not bad at all. Study the powerpoint slides! Thats all I did before the exams. I took it with Dr. Arik dvir (idk if im spelling this correctly). His exams were not difficult. Memorize everything he asks you to memorize and study the slides! Good luck!

I think that I'm going to go ahead and take it then. Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, has anyone asked about how to update the school with grades?

So I just got off the phone with admission and I was told that you CAN NOT update after you are complete. So if anyone knows anything different please share :) ... I would love to update my gpa now that my semester (and Masters) is complete!

So I just got off the phone with admission and I was told that you CAN NOT update after you are complete. So if anyone knows anything different please share :) ... I would love to update my gpa now that my semester (and Masters) is complete!
Really? I sent in two updates between the time I was complete and the time I was accepted. There's an option in the portal (admissions.com.msu.edu --> upload files) that seems to work just fine. There are options for criminal history, last name change, unofficial transcript/grades, update letter, or other.

I assume they looked at my updates and took them into account in their decision... but maybe not? I think the CHM does not accept updates, but I'm pretty sure the COM does.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? I sent in two updates between the time I was complete and the time I was accepted. There's an option in the portal (admissions.com.msu.edu --> upload files) that seems to work just fine. There are options for criminal history, last name change, unofficial transcript/grades, update letter, or other.

I assume they looked at my updates and took them into account in their decision... but maybe not? I think the CHM does not accept updates, but I'm pretty sure the COM does.

Yeah I thought the same thing but that's what the lady at COM just told me :(

Anywho, I'll just upload the unofficial transcripts to the portal and hope they review them :)

Wear a button down or sweater. Do not wear a full out suit! I wouldn't even recommend wearing a tie, but definitely no tennis shoes or jeans. Also, if in doubt about what color to wear, wear navy blue. I'm actually about to email them about my tour on January 24th to see if I can bring my mom. I found it strange no one else seemed to bring anyone to the open houses I went to, but my mom came with me and everything went great and it made her happy. I'll be sure to let everyone else know what they tell me concerning bringing anyone else on the tour. The tour should include a student panel where current students talk about their experiences and give you advice. There will be a ton of opportunities to ask questions. You will see the facilities and hear from faculty members about the overall COM experience. Nothing to stress about!
Hey guys! So I found out today that parents are welcome on the tours! I think both of my parents are coming this time. I know it looks lame to quote my own post but didn't want to re-type what to wear, haha

This sounds odd since there's an option to do so on the portal. During my phone appointment, I specifically asked about update letters and how the adcoms view them. I was told that updates don't necessarily hurt you, but unless you have something quite substantial to add that could make or break your application, are unnecessary and not very influential on the decision.

So I know that letters pertaining to new jobs/ECs are permitted, but I'm not sure about new grades. I'd imagine those are accepted also, especially since grades are one thing that could actually have a big impact on the decision. I would definitely shoot an email to admissions! Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
I just uploaded my fall 2013 unofficial transcript. I don't know if it will help but I figure it can't hurt with good grades, right?

GL to everyone still waiting tomorrow. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been complete since August and got placed on the waitlist today. I'm instate and somewhat concerned since they still have seats available. Thoughts?

I've been complete since August and got placed on the waitlist today. I'm instate and somewhat concerned since they still have seats available. Thoughts?
Worse things could have happened... Follow up with an update letter or a letter of intent if it is your top school.

Looks like it won't be this year for me. Congrats to everyone waitlisted/accepted today! :)

Email? Sorry to hear it. Good luck elsewhere!!! Or next year!

I meant radio silence from MSU. They won't be reviewing apps until January. ;)

But most likely I should probably just stop thinking about this school, lol. I've waisted too many Thursadys with hoping too badly.

Yeah, lol. :)
Tricky tricky... So much for an early Christmas gift! More attempting to pretend I don't care about applications while I go about daily life... Thinking about them constantly.

Tricky tricky... So much for an early Christmas gift! More attempting to pretend I don't care about applications while I go about daily life... Thinking about them constantly.

Agreed!

On New Year's Eve, I always tell my children that I will see them next year. Hee hee!

Is it hopeless if I've been complete since July and have no response until now?

At least that's something and it's not a rejection. I've been complete since late July and have heard nothing :/ Do you mind sharing your stats?

Ive been complete since aug. Sent in 2 letters and a transcript. Nothing yet...

So here's my story.

Couple weeks ago I went to an advising appointment and brought a draft for an update/intent letter to upload to show and get comments on. The admissions counselor told me they don't accept letters of intent, but that she would take my letter to the committee. I have no idea if it impacted the decision to put me on the waitlist at all.

My stats are a little lower than their averages right now

3.56 cumulative GPA

3.46 Science GPA really strong upward trend with all my upper level bios (6 classes or so) at A-s or As

900 volunteer hours (or 1400 with the letter of intent if they looked at it. I have no way of knowing if it got to them since it was give in a paper format)

Good luck everyone, if your stats are higher than mine they'll probably be calling you after the Christmas break since there are still seats available.

I'll just put it out there to not be too scared if your GPA is below that presented above -- other parts of your application certainly matter a ton (MCAT, LORs, experience, research / publications). I was accepted with a 3.15 cum/scio_O.

I just remembered that I had a telephone advising appointment on the 17th and I missed it due to an experiment. Wow. I feel like an idiot. Pretty sure that doesn't help my chances. I'll have to give them a call tomorrow

Accepted yesterday! 3.65 c 3.5s with over 1500 hours volunteering. Best day ever! For those who have not heard anything keep your head up and your options open. Best of luck.

Accepted yesterday! 3.65 c 3.5s with over 1500 hours volunteering. Best day ever! For those who have not heard anything keep your head up and your options open. Best of luck.
Congrats! Great school!

What was your MCAT if you don't mind sharing?

I just remembered that I had a telephone advising appointment on the 17th and I missed it due to an experiment. Wow. I feel like an idiot. Pretty sure that doesn't help my chances. I'll have to give them a call tomorrow
Oh no! I hope you get to reschedule soon... And I wouldn't worry about it hurting your chances. It's just an advising appointment and advisors don't seem to have much say in you being accepted (unless you act inappropriately, of course). The advisor I saw was the one that actually called to tell me I was accepted and it turned out she didn't even remember me until I reminded her who I was. I told her I owed her thanks for convincing me to apply this spring. And hey! If it makes you feel any better, at least you didn't get rejected from MU-COM for accidentally skipping an interview room! I guess I'm not positive that's why I was rejected, but I'm sure that made it easy to pick other students over me! I missed one of the 7 rooms and had to go back. So embarrassing. So at least you missed an advising appointment and not an actual interview! ...and everything happens for a reason, right? I'm sure your chance at being accepted is still pretty high

Congratulations!! I thought they wouldn't accept more people until after the new year, so that's great news before the rest of the holidays! So were you born in 89? And are you requesting the EL site? [I was born in 89 and will be in EL]

Anyone know if they're meeting this week?
I can't remember if the admissions advisor said they'd start meeting again this Thursday or next Thursday.

I can't remember if the admissions advisor said they'd start meeting again this Thursday or next Thursday.

I think the December update said they weren't meeting again until after the 5th

they're not :( this was from their last e-mail: "Please note the Admissions Committee will not be meeting from December 23-January 5."

Submitted an update letter through the portal. Can't hurt, I guess. :)

So here's my story.

Couple weeks ago I went to an advising appointment and brought a draft for an update/intent letter to upload to show and get comments on. The admissions counselor told me they don't accept letters of intent, but that she would take my letter to the committee. I have no idea if it impacted the decision to put me on the waitlist at all.

My stats are a little lower than their averages right now

3.56 cumulative GPA

3.46 Science GPA really strong upward trend with all my upper level bios (6 classes or so) at A-s or As

900 volunteer hours (or 1400 with the letter of intent if they looked at it. I have no way of knowing if it got to them since it was give in a paper format)

Good luck everyone, if your stats are higher than mine they'll probably be calling you after the Christmas break since there are still seats available.

I'm sorry this is a little late, but do you mind sharing what your MCAT score is? My gpa is also a little below their stats I'm hoping my MCAT is at least in the same range as the wait listers...

I'm sorry this is a little late, but do you mind sharing what your MCAT score is? My gpa is also a little below their stats I'm hoping my MCAT is at least in the same range as the wait listers...

I think I remember him reporting a 26 on another thread. :)

I think I remember him reporting a 26 on another thread. :)

What's your MCAT studyshy? I'm trying to see if there's a pattern at all with who's left to hear back. My gpa's are a little lower than their averages but my MCAT is a 27 and I'm hoping that'll at least get me a wait list spot..