2020-2021 Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Secondary prompts:
1. Why are you interested in osteopathic medicine and why are you applying to the Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine?

2. Other than healthcare access, what are some of the most important health care issues confronting underserved communities? How would you address them?

3. Briefly describe a situation where you were not in the majority. What did you learn from this experience?
Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

(Almost) PGY-3 radiology resident here who graduated in 2018. I'm getting further and further out from my time at MSU but happy to try and answer any questions you might have to the best of my ability! Hopefully will be joined by some current students on here as well. :) Good luck with your application season.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,

(Almost) PGY-3 radiology resident here who graduated in 2018. I'm getting further and further out from my time at MSU but happy to try and answer any questions you might have to the best of my ability! Hopefully will be joined by some current students on here as well. :) Good luck with your application season.
Can you give me some prospective on the things you like and dislike about the school? Did you have to rent a place nearby thr campus when attending thr school? How's the neighborhood?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

Were you an out-of-state applicant? Also, how hard was it for you to match into diagnostic-radiology as a D.O.? My dream specialty is diagnostic radiology :)

Current incoming first year student here! Following to attempt to answer questions, even though orientation just started today lol

Current incoming first year student here! Following to attempt to answer questions, even though orientation just started today lol

How has it been so far with everything being online?

Whoops, sorry for the delay, thought I'd get an email notification or something if people responded to my comment...

Can you give me some prospective on the things you like and dislike about the school? Did you have to rent a place nearby thr campus when attending thr school? How's the neighborhood?

Thanks
The area around campus is reasonably nice. You do not 'have' to rent nearby but I did for the sake of convenience. I liked being at a big school with a reasonably good name with the opportunity for good research. I disliked OMM. Haha, but... yeah, not much I could do about that by the time I came to that realization.

Were you an out-of-state applicant? Also, how hard was it for you to match into diagnostic-radiology as a D.O.? My dream specialty is diagnostic radiology :)
Nope, I was an in-state applicant. My rough understanding is that approximately 80% of the class is in-state, 10% is Canadian, and 10% is out-of-state for a variety of factors (being a state school, the ridiculous out-of-state tuition even after OOS scholarships, etc). DR is not awfully difficult as a DO as long as you are not set on top-tier academic programs. If you do well on your board exams (bummer that step 1 is losing a numerical score) you won't exactly have your pick of programs but will get a solid spot somewhere where you'll get a good education and land a great fellowship.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have any match lists from recent years? would love to take a glance !

Thank you :)

Does anyone have any match lists from recent years? would love to take a glance !

Thank you :)
Strange, used to be several years of match data on the website. Couldn't find anything with a quick search. This may not be 100% accurate but something I broadly put together regarding my class of 2018:
Anesthesia x 10 (4%). Includes some great institutions, e.g., UMich x2, Beaumont, Henry Ford, DMC, MCW.
Emergency Medicine x 42 (16%).
Family Medicine x 84 (32%). Most in Michigan. Most impressed with University of Toronto.
General Surgery x 7 (3%).
Internal Medicine x 50 (19%).
Including Case Western UH, Henry Ford, Beaumont, Florida State, Cleveland Clinic, DMC.
Med/Peds x 3 (1%).
Neurology x 14 (5%).
Including one at Cleveland Clinic.
OB/GYN x 5 (2%).
Orthopedic Surgery x 3 (1%).
ENT/facial plastics x 5 (2%).
Peds x 10 (4%).
Incl. MCW, MSU, Children's Hospital of Michigan, Beaumont, LSU.
PMR x 2 (1%).
Psych x 13 (5%).
Incl. MSU, Cleveland Clinic x2, Indiana University, University of Maryland, Henry Ford, DMC.
Urology x 1 (<1%).

Prelim medicine x 2 (1%).
Prelim Surg x1 (<1%).
TY/TRI x 14 (5%).

Assumably a good number of these prelim/TY were for advanced specialties, but unfortunately I don't have that information. Know there was at least a decent chunk of derm/rads.

Last edited:
Strange, used to be several years of match data on the website. Couldn't find anything with a quick search. This may not be 100% accurate but something I broadly put together regarding my class of 2018:
Anesthesia x 10 (4%). Includes some great institutions, e.g., UMich x2, Beaumont, Henry Ford, DMC, MCW.
Emergency Medicine x 42 (16%).
Family Medicine x 84 (32%). Most in Michigan. Most impressed with University of Toronto.
General Surgery x 7 (3%).
Internal Medicine x 50 (19%).
Including Case Western UH, Henry Ford, Beaumont, Florida State, Cleveland Clinic, DMC.
Med/Peds x 3 (1%).
Neurology x 14 (5%).
Including one at Cleveland Clinic.
OB/GYN x 5 (2%).
Orthopedic Surgery x 3 (1%).
ENT/facial plastics x 5 (2%).
Peds x 10 (4%).
Incl. MCW, MSU, Children's Hospital of Michigan, Beaumont, LSU.
PMR x 2 (1%).
Psych x 13 (5%).
Incl. MSU, Cleveland Clinic x2, Indiana University, University of Maryland, Henry Ford, DMC.
Urology x 1 (<1%).

Prelim medicine x 2 (1%).
Prelim Surg x1 (<1%).
TY/TRI x 14 (5%).

Assumably a good number of these prelim/TY were for advanced specialties, but unfortunately I don't have that information. Know there was at least a decent chunk of derm/rads.

Thank you so much!!

Hello everyone, from looking at other DO school threads, it seems like the schools have begun to send secondaries. I don't mean to contribute to the neuroticism of the pre-med cycle, but has anyone received secondaries from MSUCOM yet? Previously poster said that schools will begin sending out secondaries at end of the month.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone, from looking at other DO school threads, it seems like the schools have begun to send secondaries. I don't mean to contribute to the neuroticism of the pre-med cycle, but has anyone received secondaries from MSUCOM yet? Previously poster said that schools will begin sending out secondaries at end of the month.

I haven't received anything, I have received from other schools. But I am also waiting on my mcat scores so idk

I haven't received anything, I have received from other schools. But I am also waiting on my mcat scores so idk

adcom said they will be sending it soon

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hello all, I've been checking my inbox, spam, and clutter boxes, but haven't received anything. Has anyone else received the secondaries?

Hello all, I've been checking my inbox, spam, and clutter boxes, but haven't received anything. Has anyone else received the secondaries?
I have not either. It could be due to COVID that the process is being pushed back?

I have not either. It could be due to COVID that the process is being pushed back?

I'm "glad" to hear that, as I thought my app didn't make it past the initial screening stage. Maybe the COVID-19 delayed everything back, but other schools (based on other threads) have sent out their secondaries. Alas, different schools have different policies and processes. Kind reminder to everyone to refresh their inbox, clutter and junk mail periodically and not neurotically :D

Was just coming on here to see if anyone has gotten secondaries yet, glad (and sad) to see I'm not the only one waiting!

Still quiet on my end. Funny that I received secondaries for MD schools already.

Hello everyone, I still have not received my MSU COM or TUNCOM secondary application yet. I have received all 20+ other DO secondaries and even 1 MD (FIU) so I am not sure what is going on. Glad to hear I am in the same boat as everyone else. Good luck everyone!

Hello everyone, I still have not received my MSU COM or TUNCOM secondary application yet. I have received all 20+ other DO secondaries and even 1 MD (FIU) so I am not sure what is going on. Glad to hear I am in the same boat as everyone else. Good luck everyone!

Same boat here! I've received my secondary for CMU's MD program already, but not for MSUCOM. Guess there are some major delays.

Same, TUNCOM sent me a welcome email saying the earliest secondaries will go out is mid-August.

Hello everyone, do you know if the school considers applicants w/o MCAT? I took MCAT in the past but I am not happy with a score, I am planning on retaking it in September. So I don't know if I should wait till I get my score back or submit my application now.

Hello everyone, do you know if the school considers applicants w/o MCAT? I took MCAT in the past but I am not happy with a score, I am planning on retaking it in September. So I don't know if I should wait till I get my score back or submit my application now.
Due to covid pls submit NOW!

Received & Submitted secondary today!

Good to see that they are sending out secondaries. I'm still waiting for mine!

Got the secondary for the ALLOPATHIC school earlier today, hopefully this one will be along shortly...

At least not for me... still (patiently) waiting

Also heads up that their allopathic school changed ALL of their secondary essays COMPLETELY, so if you prewrote osteopathic, pencil in time to re-write once we start getting the secondary because they may be different.

Same here. Verified on 5/18 and nothing back. I'm so relieved that I'm not the only one.

Hi friends! This may not be the right place to post this but this group seems to have active and friendly people (hopefully we can all be classmates next year)!

I am wondering how long it took to get verified by AACOMAS after submitting your application? I had met with an MSU COM prior to submitting who suggested I submit asap. When can I expect my application to get verified? Thank you!!

Hi friends! This may not be the right place to post this but this group seems to have active and friendly people (hopefully we can all be classmates next year)!

I am wondering how long it took to get verified by AACOMAS after submitting your application? I had met with an MSU COM prior to submitting who suggested I submit asap. When can I expect my application to get verified? Thank you!!
Mine took two days

I submitted relatively recently on 7/5 and was verified 9 days later. It usually takes 1-2 wks seems like