2021-2022 Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You said it yourself "Some PDs are still living in the past". That is what I mean, an average MD student has more opportunity than an average DO student b/c the old guard is still standing. A stellar DO neurosurgery applicant will have a harder time than a stellar MD neurosurgery applicant. When all other things are equal, the MD applicant has an advantage and that is the part that upsets me. It shouldn't be that way, but it unfortunately still is. I agree it is becoming better.

Off topic question since you are an OMS-1, since COMLEX + USMLE are P/F and COMLEX 2 and USMLE 2 are more important now, is MSUCOM giving more time to study for the ladder exams?
I guess my point is, it's not worth worrying about those handful of PDs. The advantage seems negligible these days. If you really want neurosurgery, then you can get into neurosurgery. (The last class at MSUCOM that matched did have someone who wanted neurosurgery and they did match into it.) It doesn't matter what school you went to - it's going to be extremely difficult no matter what.

I don't think MSUCOM is giving more time for the latter exams. We already get a good chunk of time for dedicated as it is.

Members don't see this ad.

I sent an update/interest letter. It wouldn’t hurt. They welcome update letters at least.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm with you.

I had wanted DO over MD from the beginning and I've been surprised at how many more folks are like me outside of SDN. Sometimes it's location, comfort, convenience. Sometimes you just vibe with something. The best is when it's both. ❤️
Add me onto this list. I got into CMU's MD program and chose MSUCOM. Comparing philosophy in treatment, residency opportunities, opportunities to treat the community, opportunities to get involved in research, and personal reasons (closer to home/family/friends), it was a no-brainer.

It's true that some states are more receptive to DO's than others in regards to residency. Although unfortunate, it's the reality. However, just because somebody chooses to pursue an Osteopathic degree does not mean that they have no shot at a surgical residency. We have graduates match into ophthalmology, ortho, derm, and other competitive specialties regularly.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
Hopefully some WL movement will happen this week!

Reactions: 6 users
Hopefully some WL movement will happen this week!
If I am not mistaken April 30th is when the MD folks who have more than 1 A need to pick 1 school and committee to enroll. We may see some movement then (no guarantees but fingers crossed).

Also, the new cycle opens May 4th so if any of y'all plan to reapply make sure to be ready for that.

Reactions: 1 user
If I am not mistaken April 30th is when the MD folks who have more than 1 A need to pick 1 school and committee to enroll. We may see some movement then (no guarantees but fingers crossed).

Also, the new cycle opens May 4th so if any of y'all plan to reapply make sure to be ready for that.

After taking a look at the threads from the last two years, it seems that most waitlist A's are posted about on SDN after this April 30th MD deadline date. Every year is different, but if we're following trends, I'm guessing the most likely timing for movement is in the first two weeks of May up until the class fills. Here's to hoping everybody! 🍻

Reactions: 1 users
for those who got accepted, did any of you receive a call on a weekend?

Interviewed 3/15, 1st Tier WL on 4/4. Haven't heard anything else yet.

Last cycle, I also interviewed quite late, was placed on First Tier WL, then later rejected. I made an advising appt afterwards and the advisor basically said: "all I've been doing lately is advising sessions with first tier waitlisters, wondering what they did wrong/need to do better to improve their chances, and the reality is, we just didn't have as much waitlist movement this cycle as we were anticipating, and the majority of first tiers didn't get acceptances"

Not sure what this cycle has in store as far as waitlist movement goes, but I really hope for my sake and everyone else's that we see a lot more WL movement this year, and soon. This is my third cycle applying, and it would be devastating to have the same exact outcome as last cycle.

• Care
Interviewed 3/15, 1st Tier WL on 4/4. Haven't heard anything else yet.

Last cycle, I also interviewed quite late, was placed on First Tier WL, then later rejected. I made an advising appt afterwards and the advisor basically said: "all I've been doing lately is advising sessions with first tier waitlisters, wondering what they did wrong/need to do better to improve their chances, and the reality is, we just didn't have as much waitlist movement this cycle as we were anticipating, and the majority of first tiers didn't get acceptances"

Not sure what this cycle has in store as far as waitlist movement goes, but I really hope for my sake and everyone else's that we see a lot more WL movement this year, and soon. This is my third cycle applying, and it would be devastating to have the same exact outcome as last cycle.
Did they give any indication of what % of T1 WL usually get accepted?

Did they give any indication of what % of T1 WL usually get accepted?
She did not explicitly say during the appt, but we know from previous cycles (esp. pre pandemic) that they tend to see almost the entire 1st tier get offered acceptances.

Just got off the tier 1 wait list. Super excited.

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Also got the A from Ms. Synder!!!! She called me at about 12. So excited :)

Anyone have a link to the admitted student group chat? Also anyone know when they will send the email? I was told we would have 24 hours to respond to the offer, but have not gotten the email yet.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Their WL system confuses me, I guess they don’t just go down the list. Like if you were put on it first you would get off it first and they would go down the list. Isn’t that how a traditional WL works?

Also got the A from Ms. Synder!!!! She called me at about 12. So excited :)

Anyone have a link to the admitted student group chat? Also anyone know when they will send the email? I was told we would have 24 hours to respond to the offer, but have not gotten the email yet.
Congrats!! maybe there's an update on your portal where you can respond?

Their WL system confuses me, I guess they don’t just go down the list. Like if you were put on it first you would get off it first and they would go down the list. Isn’t that how a traditional WL works?
I believe they use a ranked WL, so after you interview the give you an arbitrary rank within 3 tiers (so for example you may be #10/50 on T1). This is just my speculation of course but I was II in Feb. and WL in March so a ranked WL would make sense.

Praying for that tier 2 waitlist spot to open 🙏

• Love
Tier 1 WL here. Just sitting tight hoping to get a call today or tomorrow 🤞

Reactions: 2 users
Got placed in East Lansing!!! I thought it be full. If you got accepted recently hurry up and fill the forum so you can get your spot at your preferred site!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I got a call today around noon! I got accepted!

• Love
Are all the accepted people from WL IS?

It seems like the WL movement yesterday was kind of small. I hope there are more coming soon

Reactions: 5 users
I've been looking through previous threads and it seems like they accepted IS first :confused: idk maybe it's different this year I hope. Also, AACOMAS reports the names of the students holding multiple acceptances/deposits to schools on May 15th so hopefully we'll see some movement in these upcoming days. AACOMAS Traffic Guidelines

accepted!! OOS on the T1 waitlist and interviewed 3/1

Does anyone that has been accepted know when the tuition is due? I know the undergrad msu website says May 10th for Summer 2022 but dont know if that applies to grad programs too?

I got the call!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Got the call. Only interview and only acceptance. So very thankful, I don't feel deserving.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Just got the A by phone! Does anyone know where on my portal I accept the offer? I was so excited on the call that I didn't pay attention to those instructions lol

• Love
Just got the A by phone! Does anyone know where on my portal I accept the offer? I was so excited on the call that I didn't pay attention to those instructions lol
Omg same 😂 I think they said they'll send us an email with all the instructions

• Love