Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've heard rumors that they don't interview. Did you interview? CONGRATS on the acceptance!!!!!!

No, I didn't do an interview. My cousin just graduated from MSUCOM. She said they used to interview people, but the school realized it really made no difference in who they accepted. So they don't typically interview.

Members don't see this ad.

My opinions are that both EL and Detroit have plusses, whereas Macomb doesn't have too much going for it. Here's why I think that:

EL: Main campus. I believe this is where the classes are all taught (correct me if I'm wrong, but I think lectures are streamed to Detroit and Macomb from EL). College life in a nice city -- you get the full MSU experience here.
Detroit: Fantastic and close clinical partnerships. Really gives you a good setup for making connections at DMC.
Macomb: Affordable housing. Otherwise...??? I personally can't see any reason to choose Macomb over the other two locations without some outside reason. Perhaps growing up in metro-Detroit has made me a little resistant to living there for another few years. If you want to be away from a big school town, have affordable housing and/or maybe have family in the area, then it's a fine place to choose. I just feel like you're slightly compromising on the experience and/or networking opportunities.

Those were some of the thoughts that went into my decision to chose EL... so of course I'm a bit biased. ;)

MSUCOMer here.
Just to clear some facts up:

EL: You're not going to be heading out to lecture all that much after the novelty of being in medical school wears off or unless it's a mandatory lecture. You will learn to love watching lectures on two speed and on your own schedule. True you will be closer to the college festivities... if that's your thing.

Detroit: You're not going to be making any DMC connections as a first/second year just by being close to the hospital. You'll only make DMC connections if you go to a DMC hospital for base hospital for 3rd/4th year. PLUS you have to pay to park, and there isn't enough study space for everyone. Food selection around that area sucks. There is only an overpriced Coney Island in the building... and if you want Subway or some "Detroit Chinese" you'll have to leave a few blocks. You have ONE grocery store in Detroit, on CASS STREET of all places. Or drive 20 miles for groceries. Have fun with that.

Macomb: You're missing a lot in your post. I've been to this site and was really impressed by the new facilities, free parking, a lot of study space (and it's quiet!)... It's across the street from Henry Ford Macomb hospital, but like I said before, you don't get "connections" by just being close to a hospital. It's suburban, so lots of food choses. I know I sound like a fatty talking about this, but when you live in school and when you feel tired/ lazy to cook it's nice to eat something different everyday.

At each campus there will be guest lectures/faculty that have connections to hospitals. THERE is where you make connections and network.

Reactions: 4 users
On the Detroit issue. you can make connections with the DMC if you want to. nothing stopping you. the proximity helps, saying you cannot or won't is simply not true

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
MSUCOMer here.
Just to clear some facts up:

EL: You're not going to be heading out to lecture all that much after the novelty of being in medical school wears off or unless it's a mandatory lecture. You will learn to love watching lectures on two speed and on your own schedule. True you will be closer to the college festivities... if that's your thing.

Detroit: You're not going to be making any DMC connections as a first/second year just by being close to the hospital. You'll only make DMC connections if you go to a DMC hospital for base hospital for 3rd/4th year. PLUS you have to pay to park, and there isn't enough study space for everyone. Food selection around that area sucks. There is only an overpriced Coney Island in the building... and if you want Subway or some "Detroit Chinese" you'll have to leave a few blocks. You have ONE grocery store in Detroit, on CASS STREET of all places. Or drive 20 miles for groceries. Have fun with that.

Macomb: You're missing a lot in your post. I've been to this site and was really impressed by the new facilities, free parking, a lot of study space (and it's quiet!)... It's across the street from Henry Ford Macomb hospital, but like I said before, you don't get "connections" by just being close to a hospital. It's suburban, so lots of food choses. I know I sound like a fatty talking about this, but when you live in school and when you feel tired/ lazy to cook it's nice to eat something different everyday.

At each campus there will be guest lectures/faculty that have connections to hospitals. THERE is where you make connections and network.
Thanks for sharing. Just as a note -- I wasn't trying to comment on the MSUCOM experience at each location, just my impressions of the area where instruction is taking place.

On the Detroit issue. you can make connections with the DMC if you want to. nothing stopping you. the proximity helps, saying you cannot or won't is simply not true

So, do you think as a 1st/2nd year you're going to waltz right up into the hospital and start making these connections? Maybe if someone who is teaching a Clinical Skills or DPR class may be from the DMC, but apart from that I don't see how. I am doing an elective rotation at one of the DMC hospitals very close to the Detroit campus and when I was asked which school I attend the attending said, "Oh, come to think of it, I think you're the first student from your school that has actually rotated with us! We don't get many of you around here."

Thanks for sharing. Just as a note -- I wasn't trying to comment on the MSUCOM experience at each location, just my impressions of the area where instruction is taking place.
Yea, no worries. Just came across this thread and felt like sharing some info I wish others shared with me during this stage.

just saying if you really wanted to, contacting someone at the DMC about research, shadowing, advice, anything at all is not impossible, its fairly practical. And the proximity helps, not saying its a sure thing, but if you really want to make connections you will, and if you don't or don't take initiative, then you won't. Just like a lot of things in this life.

just saying if you really wanted to, contacting someone at the DMC about research, shadowing, advice, anything at all is not impossible, its fairly practical. And the proximity helps, not saying its a sure thing, but if you really want to make connections you will, and if you don't or don't take initiative, then you won't. Just like a lot of things in this life.

Sure, you could. But any student can set up or ask about research/shadowing/advice, regardless of school or campus. All I'm saying is that I have not heard of any OMS1/OMS2 making connections like this over at DMC.

well if you are not at the dmc campus, then yes i guess it would be tough to know. from what i heard at the tour there is basically zero communication amongst students at the different sites, so maybe there are those that have reached out to docs or others at the dmc. Or there just are not any students who want to reach out to anyone at the DMC, to each there own i guess.

well if you are not at the dmc campus, then yes i guess it would be tough to know. from what i heard at the tour there is basically zero communication amongst students at the different sites, so maybe there are those that have reached out to docs or others at the dmc. Or there just are not any students who want to reach out to anyone at the DMC, to each there own i guess.

:smack:

How do you know I wasn't based there? And students do talk to each other from different base sites... you get to know different campuses well, especially when you have to drive to another satellite for various events/meetings.

Anyways, I'm not here to crush anyone's dreams that they're going to land some research spot or get cozy with attendings at the DMC as an OMS1/2. :eyebrow: Dream on.

Does anyone know how long it takes for them to confirm my site placement after I submitted my graduate application form? Do I have to submit all my transcripts before I get the site placement>

Does anyone know how long it takes for them to confirm my site placement after I submitted my graduate application form? Do I have to submit all my transcripts before I get the site placement>
I got mine the next morning, but that was fairly early. And no, you don't need to submit your transcripts to get site placement, only the graduate application form.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone explain what are the benefits of scheduling an advising appointment and what the process is like?

Can someone explain what are the benefits of scheduling an advising appointment and what the process is like?
My advising appointment was probably the reason I was finally accepted. You can look at my first post here on SDN. The appointment was a one-on-one meeting where I was told right away that I needed to improve my MCAT score in one section. I think my meeting lasted around 45 minutes just because we were talking about our life experiences (sounds funny, I know) and I actually felt great coming out of the meeting. It was just like talking with a friend and getting a little bit of helpful advice. I asked questions about what I could do while waiting to be accepted and was surprised to hear taking more classes or volunteering more than I was wouldn't be necessary. I'll also say again I think it's a great idea to meet someone on the admissions committee if possible, perhaps at an open house, so they will pull your application earlier for review to determine whether or not you'll be accepted. If you are nervous about the possibility of being told why you 'aren't good enough' for medical school, don't be! My advisor was so nice I didn't feel bad for even a second. They really aim to help you succeed.

OMG ACCEPTED !!!!
Completely forgot it was a Thursday, as it is I lost hope after Monday's update seeing the Canadian numbers.

Canadian student accepted off the wait-list :D

Reactions: 3 users
OMG ACCEPTED !!!!
Completely forgot it was a Thursday, as it is I lost hope after Monday's update seeing the Canadian numbers.

Canadian student accepted off the wait-list :D

Congrats!!! Mind sharing your stats?

Thursday again... Waiting

My advising appointment was probably the reason I was finally accepted. You can look at my first post here on SDN. The appointment was a one-on-one meeting where I was told right away that I needed to improve my MCAT score in one section. I think my meeting lasted around 45 minutes just because we were talking about our life experiences (sounds funny, I know) and I actually felt great coming out of the meeting. It was just like talking with a friend and getting a little bit of helpful advice. I asked questions about what I could do while waiting to be accepted and was surprised to hear taking more classes or volunteering more than I was wouldn't be necessary. I'll also say again I think it's a great idea to meet someone on the admissions committee if possible, perhaps at an open house, so they will pull your application earlier for review to determine whether or not you'll be accepted. If you are nervous about the possibility of being told why you 'aren't good enough' for medical school, don't be! My advisor was so nice I didn't feel bad for even a second. They really aim to help you succeed.

I agree, I called for an advisement appointment, and it was really enlightening. She was very specific about my flaws/things I needed to improve on. This is great. Most schools don't do this, or just give you vague answers like "Oh, well we have a competitive applicant pool this year." Although I withdrew from this school due to OOS tuition costs, the appointment is really helpful, and i got accepted to my #1 choice school anyways ;)

I wish that they'd just reject me already. Seriously, it's January and they can't even notify people that they have no chance. Unless they sent out paper rejections. I haven't checked my mail.

I wish that they'd just reject me already. Seriously, it's January and they can't even notify people that they have no chance. Unless they sent out paper rejections. I haven't checked my mail.
When I applied last year, some schools didn't get back to me until the end of April or during May, while some rejected me fairly early. I wasn't on the waitlist at those later schools. It was hard because I didn't know if they were dragging me along as kind of an alternate for the waitlist or if they were just inordinately slow at moving through their list of applicants. Hang in there, the admissions committee is still reviewing applications and you haven't been rejected yet.

When I applied last year, some schools didn't get back to me until the end of April or during May, while some rejected me fairly early. I wasn't on the waitlist at those later schools. It was hard because I didn't know if they were dragging me along as kind of an alternate for the waitlist or if they were just inordinately slow at moving through their list of applicants. Hang in there, the admissions committee is still reviewing applications and you haven't been rejected yet.

Stringing people along for >6 months is just lazy especially when they are paid a 100 dollar application fee.

Reactions: 1 users
Stringing people along for >6 months is just lazy especially when they are paid a 100 dollar application fee.
I feel your pain... That was 2 years of being in the dark until April! And then after my PA school interview went awesome I was rejected for not having enough paid clinical hours after they told me they would accept my hospice hours. Hopefully everything does happen for a reason and you don't have to be dragged along much longer! If you don't hear by mid February I would call them to ask where are in the cycle. Say you are calling because it is too important to you that you are not overlooked since this school is your first choice.

I feel your pain... That was 2 years of being in the dark until April! And then after my PA school interview went awesome I was rejected for not having enough paid clinical hours after they told me they would accept my hospice hours. Hopefully everything does happen for a reason and you don't have to be dragged along much longer! If you don't hear by mid February I would call them to ask where are in the cycle. Say you are calling because it is too important to you that you are not overlooked since this school is your first choice.

This is my second application cycle. Next year will make three. I would have been done with nurse-midwifery school a year ago if I wasn't stupid and wasted all my time and money trying to go to medical school. Now I'm left with nothing. That's great that you got in finally, but you're probably also in your 20s. I'm getting to old waste my life on hope and dreams, lol. Everything must look so positive after you're accepted.

This is my second application cycle. Next year will make three. I would have been done with nurse-midwifery school a year ago if I wasn't stupid and wasted all my time and money trying to go to medical school. Now I'm left with nothing. That's great that you got in finally, but you're probably also in your 20s. I'm getting to old waste my life on hope and dreams, lol. Everything must look so positive after you're accepted.

Did you only apply to MSU? Don't give up hope completely...there are still a good number of seats available

Normally Id agree with you, but what's stopping me is the fact that they've already sent out rejections... Id like to believe that if you just plain didn't make the cut that you would have received one of those. But maybe those were for OOS people. I guess we'll see soon. Hang in there!

I feel your pain... I really do. :(

My advising appointment was probably the reason I was finally accepted.

How exactly do you set this up? Thanks for the feedback.

Normally Id agree with you, but what's stopping me is the fact that they've already sent out rejections... Id like to believe that if you just plain didn't make the cut that you would have received one of those. But maybe those were for OOS people. I guess we'll see soon. Hang in there!

Thanks you guys! I know that I'm not alone in this process, but it does feel like the majority has had success on this forum.

I've only seen one round of rejections but then no more. I know some IS people who got the rejections. This was a while ago, though. I really hope you're right. I just don't to keep hoping when I really need to just get my butt moving and my mind on reapplying for next year. I guess, I'm just getting tired of trying so hard and not feeling like I'm making any progress. I'm still in denial and just need to suck it up. Bad news is...I've just got done researching other midwifery schools to go to, and I don't meet the requirements for a single one of them anymore. I've really done myself over a good one. I really want to go into OB, and I've also applied to a zillion (~15 ) nursing positions in my area with no luck over the last year. I can't even get to the interview stage because I don't have experience.

I have an interview coming up at LMU. I had to reschedule it once already because I wrecked my car coming home from a genetics final in a snow storm in December. The car is still not fixed. I won't be able to attend LMU anyway because my husband doesn't want to move out of state. His job is more important to him.

I am a Canadian and have decided to withdraw from my spot at MSUCOM. So, that opens up another spot for a Canadian :). All the best to everyone in their applications!

Thank you so much, I believe that I got your spot and I am absolutely ecstatic :D

Are there any tours or anything coming up? I'm deciding between this school and others but since they don't interview, I don't really have anything to go on. Any second look days coming up? I don't know, I'm leaning heavily toward declining but I'd hate to make that decision based just on feeling like I don't really know that much about the school. Can you arrange private tours? (I've been placed in Detroit, if that helps.) I guess I should email admissions about this but I thought I'd try here first. :)

Are there any tours or anything coming up? I'm deciding between this school and others but since they don't interview, I don't really have anything to go on. Any second look days coming up? I don't know, I'm leaning heavily toward declining but I'd hate to make that decision based just on feeling like I don't really know that much about the school. Can you arrange private tours? (I've been placed in Detroit, if that helps.) I guess I should email admissions about this but I thought I'd try here first. :)

Here are all the tour dates:

East Lansing 1pm-4pm
Friday, February 28, 2014
Friday, March 28, 2014

Detroit Medical Center 1pm - 3pm
Friday, February 07, 2014
Friday, March 07, 2014

Macomb University Center 10am-12pm
Friday, March 07, 2014

Reactions: 1 users
Here are all the tour dates:

East Lansing 1pm-4pm
Friday, February 28, 2014
Friday, March 28, 2014

Detroit Medical Center 1pm - 3pm
Friday, March 07, 2014

Macomb University Center 10am-12pm
Friday, March 07, 2014

Thank you so much!! Could you tell me where/when you received this info? I must be missing or somehow overlooking emails!

Thank you so much!! Could you tell me where/when you received this info? I must be missing or somehow overlooking emails!

If you login to your MSU portal and you click on the "admission" tab, tour dates is listed as one of the links on the left side

yeah the schedule is insane, hoped for a summer between 1st and 2nd. Alas

I heard from a current MSU student that they recently changed the DO curriculum and apparently there are mixed reviews about it....

BTW, for those that are for sure attending MSU next year, have you guys already started looking at housing?

I heard from a current MSU student that they recently changed the DO curriculum and apparently there are mixed reviews about it....

BTW, for those that are for sure attending MSU next year, have you guys already started looking at housing?
Yikes, it's not even next (calendar) year now! I have not even thought about it. :confused:

However, I'm also not 100% sure that I won't be deferring a year, so I've kind of put a lot of decision making off by telling myself that I don't need to yet. I think I need to get my act together.

Yikes, it's not even next (calendar) year now! I have not even thought about it. :confused:

However, I'm also not 100% sure that I won't be deferring a year, so I've kind of put a lot of decision making off by telling myself that I don't need to yet. I think I need to get my act together.

Do you know if we can still defer if we already paid the deposit and submitted the graduate application form?

Do you know if we can still defer if we already paid the deposit and submitted the graduate application form?
Yes. The deposit is actually required to defer -- the director of admissions told me the following:
"I will accept deferral requests at any time throughout the admissions process."
and
"If you were to defer, the deposit would be required to hold your spot. Therefore, submitting a deposit and requesting deferral would be your best option."

Yes. The deposit is actually required to defer -- the director of admissions told me the following:
"I will accept deferral requests at any time throughout the admissions process."
and
"If you were to defer, the deposit would be required to hold your spot. Therefore, submitting a deposit and requesting deferral would be your best option."

Cool thanks...I'm considering deferring a year so that I can get IS residence...not sure if I really want to wait another year before going back to school though..

Does anyone have a list of required textbooks for first year? I haven't been able to find it on their website...

I'm in the class of 2016 which is the pilot year for the new curriculum. I think they have a good idea with the structuring, its just a little rough around the edges. They've taken our suggestions and changed some things for the class of 2017. I'm sure they're taking their feedback and further refining things.

I like the idea of building on what we learn as we move through the systems. We see micro and pharm multiple times now. Those 2 subjects are the most difficult because there is a ton of material to know. If anybody has any questions I'm around to answer what I can!

What are your overall feelings towards the school ? Facilities/faculty/support? If you're OOS is the loan payment manageable? How many hours a day are u in class/studying usually?

Another Thursday... fingers crossed.

Just got off the phone with admissions.. Officially accepted!!!