2021-2022 Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got an email with a rejection for the PA program. I’m so confused. Does anyone know what happened?
Hold up, it says you are a reapplicant with a 517 and 3.8. If you don't mind me asking how did you not get in with those stats after 3 cycles? This whole process is crazy if folks with LizzyM's that are over 9000 are being rejected over multiple cycles.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hold up, it says you are a reapplicant with a 517 and 3.8. If you don't mind me asking how did you not get in with those stats after 3 cycles? This whole process is crazy if folks with LizzyM's that are over 9000 are being rejected over multiple cycles.
Mainly it was lack of clinical experience. Then I finally got a ton but my school list this year wasn’t great because my MCAT is from 2018 and not all schools would accept that.

Mainly it was lack of clinical experience. Then I finally got a ton but my school list this year wasn’t great because my MCAT is from 2018 and not all schools would accept that.
You would think schools would be willing to overlook that in place of your excellent grades. I hope you get in, anyone who went through the MCAT and got a score like yours definitely has the smarts to be a doctor.

Last edited:
You would think schools would be willing to overlook that in place of your excellent grades. I hope you get in, anyone who went trough the MCAT and got a score like yours definitely has the smarts to be a doctor.
Well this is my last shot, my other interview this cycle ended in an R.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Got my post II rejection as well. I don’t know what I did wrong.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have no idea either.... I thought the interview went wonderfully and CASPER is in 4th quartile.. in-state as well

You may just be OOS. They are pretty hard on OOS given that they are a public school with a mission of producing Michigan doctors. My guess is you just didn't have a good enough reason of why MSUCOM and Mi.

feel ya. LM 72, 4th quartile casper, tons of clinical experience, post-ii R. my interview was okay but mostly conversational. im a reapp and did their application feedback last year and they’d shared that my interviewer had very positive comments but I was told it was very competitive and my application was submitted late by their standards (Sept or Oct I think). So I get the impression the interview means very little in the overall evaluation. of course cant say for certain. I also think Master Bone Wizard is probably right in that OOS’ers are held to a different standard, cuz i could see that being my downfall so to speak lol

• Care
feel ya. LM 72, 4th quartile casper, tons of clinical experience, post-ii R. my interview was okay but mostly conversational. im a reapp and did their application feedback last year and they’d shared that my interviewer had very positive comments but I was told it was very competitive and my application was submitted late by their standards (Sept or Oct I think). So I get the impression the interview means very little in the overall evaluation. of course cant say for certain. I also think Master Bone Wizard is probably right in that OOS’ers are held to a different standard, cuz i could see that being my downfall so to speak lol
your two things (late app and OOS) were the opposite for me (complete July and IS) and I still got hit with the post-ii R.... will definitely have to do the app feedback whenever it opens

Looks like they’re straight up out of acceptances to give and all their plausible acceptances were placed on top tier WL? Just my thoughts as I haven’t seen an acceptance since like mid February.

your two things (late app and OOS) were the opposite for me (complete July and IS) and I still got hit with the post-ii R.... will definitely have to do the app feedback whenever it opens
Yeah you should def do it if you find yourself in the position to need a reapplication. They do share interviewer comments if you ask too (or did, anyway). Can’t tell you how salty I was to hear how nice mine were after getting the R but reviewing my notes rn i was told there is an OOS quota of some kind so maybe I should have gotten the hint the first time haha

Looks like they’re straight up out of acceptances to give and all their plausible acceptances were placed on top tier WL? Just my thoughts as I haven’t seen an acceptance since like mid February.
This is also what I am thinking is going on. They have internal data that says the need about X T1 WL people every cycle and the T2/3 WL exist to back up the T1 if they have more WL movement than usual. Hence they will II even after they are full b/c they have not filled out the WL yet.

I wish there was a way to know how many accepted people are still waiting to hear back from MD schools

• Care
You may just be OOS. They are pretty hard on OOS given that they are a public school with a mission of producing Michigan doctors. My guess is you just didn't have a good enough reason of why MSUCOM and Mi.
That’s highly likely. I wrote a letter of intent that I submitted on Thursday. I was hoping that would help and mentioned doing residency and practicing in Michigan. As someone else mentioned, I was also late in the cycle and didn’t apply until November. I’m coming to terms with it and working on preparing for my next chapter.

That’s highly likely. I wrote a letter of intent that I submitted on Thursday. I was hoping that would help and mentioned doing residency and practicing in Michigan. As someone else mentioned, I was also late in the cycle and didn’t apply until November. I’m coming to terms with it and working on preparing for my next chapter.
Did you letter explain why you want to practice in Michigan or that you just want to be in Michigan?

Did you letter explain why you want to practice in Michigan or that you just want to be in Michigan?
My only good reason for Michigan is that it’s in the Midwest and close to family. I talked more about why MSUCOM was a good fit and that I’d take advantage of the opportunities they give to continue into residency and practice in Michigan.

MSUCOM has a pretty high MCAT/GPA compared to most DO schools. If we take their 300 students and say 150 have above 508, then we look at the next SD (my guess it that it is 2 pts per SD on a bell curve) we can calculate the rough number of 510+ students.

If we assume every 510+ student applied to an MD school we would have ~50/300 student who have 510+ and likely applied MD. We can also increase that number for URM with lower than 510, and bold ORM with strong EC to make up for the 510+ who did not apply MD.

View attachment 353310
A good bet then, would be 50/300 students will be in the MD WL pool/ MD A but waiting to withdraw their MSUCOM A b/c they are mean. I suspect that we will see a good number of these 50 spots open up. Last cycle there was a lot of applicants which meant much less WL movement. For this cycle my guess is 20-30 seats will open up. This is me just spitballing, so take it with a grain of salt.
Wow great analysis! Thanks for explaining!

Anyone here who is still waiting to hear back post interview? I have a feeling that they are done with giving post interview decisions and will start pulling people off waitlist sometime in the future

Pretty rare to see someone take the DO over US MD. Just b/c I am curious are you interested in primary care?
You said it yourself, MSUCOM is one of the best DO schools in the nation & students are always matching into competitive residencies, it doesn’t matter if they want to go into primary care or not. They also already mentioned that they want to go to MSUCOM because it’s closer to home. Like why do you care? You’re presence on SDN irks me and a lot of what you say here is inaccurate. Calm down and stop freaking out other people with you

Reactions: 5 users
You said it yourself, MSUCOM is one of the best DO schools in the nation & students are always matching into competitive residencies, it doesn’t matter if they want to go into primary care or not. They also already mentioned that they want to go to MSUCOM because it’s closer to home. Like why do you care? You’re presence on SDN irks me and a lot of what you say here is inaccurate. Calm down and stop freaking out other people with you
I agree. Lots of “premed fortune telling” going on here.

calculating the hangover GIF

Me lurking this page for the last 2 months watching WL talk

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I'm accepted MD and hoping to get into MSUCOM😅
I'm with you.

I had wanted DO over MD from the beginning and I've been surprised at how many more folks are like me outside of SDN. Sometimes it's location, comfort, convenience. Sometimes you just vibe with something. The best is when it's both. ❤️

I'm with you.

I had wanted DO over MD from the beginning and I've been surprised at how many more folks are like me outside of SDN. Sometimes it's location, comfort, convenience. Sometimes you just vibe with something. The best is when it's both. ❤️
There is only one MD school I would choose over MSU COM. I feel similarly

• Care
I do my best to give good information backed by sources such as Adcoms. When I speculate I make sure to mention I am speculating. When did I say something that was inaccurate? Also what do you mean by freak people out?

Secondly, MSUCOM truly is one of the best DO schools in the nation, but conventional wisdom is US MD acceptance (even when compared to a school like TCOM, PCOM or MSUCOM) is better as It opens more doors. Look at this: https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/2021-PD-Survey-Report-for-WWW.pdf this is a program director survey from the year 2021- a lot of programs simply don't even consider DO's or very rarely will take one, whereas they will take average MD's no problem. If you fall in love with Neurosurgery after your 2nd year you will have an unfair uphill battle vs your MD counterparts. Also STEP 1 is now pass/ fail meaning you will likely need STEP 2. This means studying and paying for 2 board exams twice (COMLEX 1 and COMLEX 2 alongside USMLE 1 and USMLE 2).

Look, sorry I "irked" you or offended anyone, I didn't remember MSUCOM being closer to home for him. At the end of the day as long as you make an informed decision about where you want to go and are happy with it that is all that matters.

Matching for residency is a LOT more than just MD/DO. I've met/shadowed multiple surgeons and heads of their departments in hospitals who are DOs. Yes, DOs traditionally have an uphill battle when compared with MDs in matching for residency, but if you do well in medical school, and connect with the right people, you should be fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Matching for residency is a LOT more than just MD/DO. I've met/shadowed multiple surgeons and heads of their departments in hospitals who are DOs. Yes, DOs traditionally have an uphill battle when compared with MDs in matching for residency, but if you do well in medical school, and connect with the right people, you should be fine.
I definitely agree, the part that upsets me is that if you put in the same exact effort with an "MD" after your name you get more/ better opportunities.

This kind of stuff also irks me:

In a perfect world you can pick whatever philosophy you prefer (allopathic or osteopathic) and no one judges you for the letters after your name.

Last edited:
I definitely agree, the part that upsets me is that if you put in the same exact effort with an "MD" after your name you get more/ better opportunities.

This kind of stuff also irks me:

In a perfect world you can pick whatever philosophy you prefer (allopathic or osteopathic) and no one judges you for the letters after your name.

This isn't true. If you're a stellar student, you're going to do well when it comes time to match regardless of what degree you got or what specialty you want.
If you're not a stellar student, going MD will not save you.
Some PDs are still living in the past. Things have been heading in a different direction for a while now. That can be seen with more and more programs merging.

• Hmm
This isn't true. If you're a stellar student, you're going to do well when it comes time to match regardless of what degree you got or what specialty you want.
If you're not a stellar student, going MD will not save you.
Some PDs are still living in the past. Things have been heading in a different direction for a while now. That can be seen with more and more programs merging.
You said it yourself "Some PDs are still living in the past". That is what I mean, an average MD student has more opportunity than an average DO student b/c the old guard is still standing. A stellar DO neurosurgery applicant will have a harder time than a stellar MD neurosurgery applicant. When all other things are equal, the MD applicant has an advantage and that is the part that upsets me. It shouldn't be that way, but it unfortunately still is. I agree it is becoming better.

Off topic question since you are an OMS-1, since COMLEX + USMLE are P/F and COMLEX 2 and USMLE 2 are more important now, is MSUCOM giving more time to study for the ladder exams?

Has anyone that has been accepted been able to access their Compliance Profile under the immunizations section for the pre-matriculation checklist yet???

Has anyone that has been accepted been able to access their Compliance Profile under the immunizations section for the pre-matriculation checklist yet???
Yes. I also received an email stating that the compliance profile has been updated.

FYI: April 15th is, per AAMC traffic guidelines, when applicants are expected to narrow down acceptances to 3 schools. Should anyone from MSUCOM's accepted roster get an admissions offer from this movement (and follow through) it would mean we will see WL movement!

For my good friend @iwantpizza1998 , I leave my source: Application and Acceptance Protocols for Applicants
AAMC is for MD schools and the AACOM traffic guidelines are here:
AACOMAS Traffic Guidelines

I’m a lower stat, non trad applicant who is below MSUCOM’s average, I applied late and interviewed late. I got an acceptance outright. Granted, I am in-state. I was in the 4th quartile for Casper, and I believe my interview was pretty raw as I connected with my interviewer on things not typically talked about. I have a very compelling story and unique experiences, so I may be a needle in a haystack but this is to show that no one really knows the process. It’s not always grades, but whether you’re a fit and would enrich the class and medical field. I spent a long time thinking I wasn’t worthy based on my academic performance. But I made significant improvements and after 2 unsuccessful cycles, I’ve managed to gain 7 acceptances. You belong somewhere, and I believe that is judged more by your character than your grades.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Congrats! If you don’t mind me asking, when was your interview and when were you accepted?