2021-2022 Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who got accepted, I chose my preferred campus but havent finished up the other tabs. Does that mean that they got my campus preference request or do I need to finish up the other tabs first?

Members don't see this ad.

For those who got accepted, I chose my preferred campus but havent finished up the other tabs. Does that mean that they got my campus preference request or do I need to finish up the other tabs first?
I think you need to fill up the other tabs as well! Does anyone know how long it takes after submitting to get the campus assigned?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you need to fill up the other tabs as well! Does anyone know how long it takes after submitting to get the campus assigned?
Do we have our student ID? Cant seem to find it anywhere

Do we have our student ID? Cant seem to find it anywhere
Student ID is for people who previously went to MSU! So undergrad or a masters or something I believe, I put N/A

Reactions: 1 user
Student ID is for people who previously went to MSU! So undergrad or a masters or something I believe, I put N/A
Thanks! No need to fill out the pre matriculation list yet right?

Got the call!!! (OOS WL Tier 1)

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if we need to have access to a car in EL? I'm OOS and never been there

I got the call today! Tier 1 Waitlist late March. Interviewed first week of March. OOS. No ties to the state. 3.7 cgpa, 3.6 sgpa. 509 unbalanced (127/123/128/131). Took the MCAT twice. Original score 129/122/128/127.

I'll be honest. I want to go but am so confused with how rapid things are beginning to pick up. I was truly not expecting this at all. I was ready to go to NYC for Touro in July.

If anyone is in the decision making process, would you mind sharing what is swaying you towards MSU vs. another school?

Does anyone know if we need to have access to a car in EL? I'm OOS and never been there
I went there for undergrad and theres a bus you can take to get around but a car definitely makes it easier to go get food and to just get around in general. Depending on how close you live to Fee Hall you might be able to walk there but a car would still be helpful for like I said food and just other errands but the campus itself is definitely a walking campus. I didnt have a car my first two years but I also didnt have to go get food bc I lived in the dorms.

I got the call today! Tier 1 Waitlist late March. Interviewed first week of March. OOS. No ties to the state. 3.7 cgpa, 3.6 sgpa. 509 unbalanced (127/123/128/131). Took the MCAT twice. Original score 129/122/128/127.

I'll be honest. I want to go but am so confused with how rapid things are beginning to pick up. I was truly not expecting this at all. I was ready to go to NYC for Touro in July.

If anyone is in the decision making process, would you mind sharing what is swaying you towards MSU vs. another school?
I was going to Touro NY too! I think MSUCOM is a better school in terms of residency match and research opportunities. I think it also has a good rep compared to Touro. I kinda got the sense that the school would support you in your journry towards residency while in Touro you might have to do most of that on your own. I'm from the midwest so I'd prefer to stay in this area and it's definitely more affordable for me to live in MI compared to NY

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Michigan is very big on personal transport. If anyone is in EL and does not have their own car I'm sure they will share their experience, but I don't know any classmates who don't have a car. I do know a couple who were forced to get one within the first couple months of starting, though, or share with a roommate. The public transportation off campus isn't great or always reliable (actually, I've heard the on-campus transport isn't always stellar either, but I don't have personal experience there) and you'll definitely need a car by second year for preceptorship. It also makes getting to rescheduled OSCE's a nightmare if you need to borrow someone else's car to get to Macomb. Not impossible, I'm sure, but I would save yourself the headache and stress of feeling trapped all the time.

Edited to add: Winters here can get very cold and snowy! If you need to walk any sort of distance with your white coat, medical bag, backpack, etc. and the windchill is below freezing and/or the sidewalks haven't been plowed yet, I don't think you'll be very happy. It's not the best way to start your exam day, that's for sure.

Michigan is very big on personal transport. If anyone is in EL and does not have their own car I'm sure they will share their experience, but I don't know any classmates who don't have a car. I do know a couple who were forced to get one within the first couple months of starting, though, or share with a roommate. The public transportation off campus isn't great or always reliable (actually, I've heard the on-campus transport isn't always stellar either, but I don't have personal experience there) and you'll definitely need a car by second year for preceptorship. It also makes getting to rescheduled OSCE's a nightmare if you need to borrow someone else's car to get to Macomb. Not impossible, I'm sure, but I would save yourself the headache and stress of feeling trapped all the time.

Edited to add: Winters here can get very cold and snowy! If you need to walk any sort of distance with your white coat, medical bag, backpack, etc. and the windchill is below freezing and/or the sidewalks haven't been plowed yet, I don't think you'll be very happy. It's not the best way to start your exam day, that's for sure.
Ah that's a bummer. I'm not sure if I can afford having a car. I was hoping to rely on public transportation and occasional Lyfts here and there. I'll see if that would work :/ Thanks for sharing!

• Care

I agree with this. I went to MSU for college and lived without a car for the first two years, boy was I miserable during that time. MSU campus is large so getting from one neighborhood to another (example East to Brody) takes forever. You can also take the bus off campus to go to places like Meridian Mall, Frandor Center, or Meijer but what would be a 30 minute trip to the grocery store can turn into a 2 hour one. Being a college student I found this very frustrating and would rely on a friend who had a car to run errands because I simply did not have the time to wait for the bus and take a detour around Lansing and Okemos to buy groceries and didn't think holding around bags of groceries was practical.
Also, when I was in college, the winters were brutal. Being that I didn't have a car, I had to walk a lot and invested in a heavier winter jacket and snow boots to get to class. Lastly, being that its a college town Ubers and Lyfts get pretty expensive. If accepted, I would never live there again without a car - is it possible though? Yes, just a little frustrating.

Edit: services like Instacart weren't available during my time in college. If you live next to East Neighborhood where Fee hall is, walking would not be so bad plus you would probably be busy studying all the time anyways so it wouldn't be too bad not having a car I guess.

OOS applicant who received an A today but will be denying to attend a different school. OOS tuition is super expensive and most students match inside Michigan and I don't see myself practicing in the midwest. The only thing that attracted me was the fact that it was a big 10 school but I know other schools can offer me what MSUCOM can with what I want to go into.
Good luck to everyone else waiting on an acceptance and congratulations to those who got accepted today

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
OOS applicant who received an A today but will be denying to attend a different school. OOS tuition is super expensive and most students match inside Michigan and I don't see myself practicing in the midwest. The only thing that attracted me was the fact that it was a big 10 school but I know other schools can offer me what MSUCOM can with what I want to go into.
Good luck to everyone else waiting on an acceptance and congratulations to those who got accepted today
congrats on the A! when was your WL?

I got the call today too! Top tier waitlist and interview in early March.

Is there an accepted students group chat I can join? Can anyone link it to me please.

Congrats to all those who got in today!!! @Lolaaa I will see you at EL :)

Protip! Get started (after you celebrate) on that background check and immunization needed for matriculation, those take a while and need to be confirmed by MSUCOM.

Still waiting on that A, T1 waitlist. Hopefully there will be a bit of movement next Tuesday!

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
When did the acceptances today interview? T1 still waiting as well

In the same boat, interviewed 3/9 and on the the T1 waitlist sitting in here tight and hoping for an acceptance soon. How many people do you guys think are on the T1 waitlist, 100?

In the same boat, interviewed 3/9 and on the the T1 waitlist sitting in here tight and hoping for an acceptance soon. How many people do you guys think are on the T1 waitlist, 100?
I have no idea but 100 seems high if in past years most if not all people from the T1 WL got an A.

Glad to have found you guys, I'm also hoping for an A off the T1 WL 🤞 Interviewed 3/9 and WL 4/4.
Is it true most people get in off the T1 waitlist?

I got T1 WL on 1/15. Little discouraging seeing everyone who is getting As got WL months after me. Does anyone know if they move people into lower tiers over time?

I got T1 WL on 1/15. Little discouraging seeing everyone who is getting As got WL months after me. Does anyone know if they move people into lower tiers over time?
They don’t necessarily move people into lower tiers, but each tier is ranked and should a spot open up and you are next on the list, you would be accepted. Stay hopeful 🙏🏻

Glad to have found you guys, I'm also hoping for an A off the T1 WL 🤞 Interviewed 3/9 and WL 4/4.
Is it true most people get in off the T1 waitlist?
Based on past threads last year had little WL movement and not everyone got off the T1 but previous years had a lot more WL movement where more people got of the T1

Any international/Canadian waiting to get A or has already gotten an A here?

Based on past threads last year had little WL movement and not everyone got off the T1 but previous years had a lot more WL movement where more people got of the T1
yikes I just checked out last years thread and it looks like on May 18th the class was full and they didn't take anyone else :/ if that happens this year at least we will know soon

N = 1 but I interviewed pretty late in the cycle (mid Feb.) and got off the WL May 3rd. I don't think when you interviewed matters as much as how your interview went and the strength of your application overall.

yikes I just checked out last years thread and it looks like on May 18th the class was full and they didn't take anyone else :/ if that happens this year at least we will know soon
Yeah hopefully theres more movement than last year!

Accepted from T1 waitlist just yesterday! Considering I was a Canadian with not-so-great stats, I am pleasantly surprised. Does anyone know where to find your NetID info? I have no clue where my PAN is lol

Accepted from T1 waitlist just yesterday! Considering I was a Canadian with not-so-great stats, I am pleasantly surprised. Does anyone know where to find your NetID info? I have no clue where my PAN is lol
I’m in the same boat. Very confused on PAN/PIN. Also for the drug screening, do I do it by a facility by me in CA or in MI? Just want to double check.

Hi there, so they sent us the PID/PAN a month after we got accepted, which may be sooner for you considering we have almost a month left for orientation. If you don't receive it any time soon, just email them!

I'm a recently accepted Canadian as well. I emailed the admissions team about PAN/PIN and our student ID numbers and they said we'd get that after our F-1/I-20 docs are issued. We're supposed to hear from that team via email sometime next week.

As an aside for the Canadians that got accepted which bank are yall going to go to get a medical/professional SLOC (student line of credit)?
Waitlisted Canadian here. I got pre approved from TD for their medical LOC for another US DO school. I tried RBC before but unfortunately they aren’t willing to give the full amount because it’s a US school and not Canadian. Compared to TD where I was able to get approval for the full amount same as a Canadian medical student.

I just got the call!! Off the T1 WL. She told me that Macomb is only campus left with spots but that was fine with me I was excited to get the call!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Just got the call from Anne Snyder and got the A!! Wishing everybody the best. Placed at the Macomb campus... good luck!!!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
T1 still waiting, WL in mid-April. def getting worried considering last cycle ended the 18th with many T1's w/o A's and hearing that Macomb is the only place left with seats :(

Reactions: 3 users
T1 still waiting, WL in mid-April. def getting worried considering last cycle ended the 18th with many T1's w/o A's and hearing that Macomb is the only place left with seats :(
In the same boat 😕

Reactions: 5 users
I wonder why their WL movement has changed drastically since 2020. Is it really due to Covid or because their OOS tuition decreased or something else changed in their admissions process?

I know that recently they saw an uptick in applications, I think they get around 8000 now rather than 6000. Perhaps, this means they interview and WL more applicants than before?

8,130 persons applied for admission to the 2021 academic year class -- more than a 22% increase over 2020.

I know that recently they saw an uptick in applications, I think they get around 8000 now rather than 6000. Perhaps, this means they interview and WL more applicants than before?
Yeah. I’m curious to see the stats when they update that for the 2022 entering class